New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Low FPS with GTX 980M
Low FPS with GTX 980M
By Blazed1979 2016-05-15 13:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

can you explain how you went from
riktar said: »
In the meantime anyone familiar with dgvoodoo2 know how to get this thing to run? i've tried dragging the dll and exe in the ffxi directory and having a folder in the ffxi directory and neither works. do i have to set up the instance folder to something else? it's linking to appdata/roaming now.

to
HUGE thanks to KURGANPRIME! dgvoodoo2 is working like a charm. Have to run it in a particular sequence but it works!!! Adoulin MH @ 50 fps (windower 30dps cap disbaled) with supersampling and everything maxed. Once again HUUUGE thanks to everyone that helped but for anyone that's in this situation, go the dgvoodoo2 route!

I have the exact same problem with my Laptop.
 Sylph.Abz
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Paegan
By Sylph.Abz 2016-05-15 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

See this reddit post for dgVoodoo2 details.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/4ja6d8/low_fps_on_gtx980m/d366qqn
By riktar 2016-05-15 15:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, that's exactly what I did. My issue was primarily with the setup being in the ffxi folder and not the playonline folder.

I've been running it for several hours now and still rocking out 50-60 fps!
By Vausabant 2016-05-15 16:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I got voodoo to work but not with super sampling, always crashes on ffxi launched with super on.
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
Server: Carbuncle
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-05-15 17:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I too have an Alienware laptop that uses Optimus and have had FPS issues since last December. I described them few days ago at BG, copy/paste here:

Quote:
Just to add a "me too" here. I have had all sorts of problems since (around) December 2015. I have an Alienware M17xR3 laptop (specs here, not overclocked or anything) which I only use to play FFXI (and has Chrome on it but... yeah, not really much more installed). It was running Windows 7 fine for few years, then upgraded to the usual 8 -> 8.1 -> 10. I think I did the upgrade to 10 around October/November last year.

I have been applying all of Windows updates and NVidia driver updates as they become available (maybe this has been the error). Anyway, at around December 2015, FFXI started to run horribly slow, each time worse. At around January, I used to have 3-5 FPS when doing LS events; sometimes on zones when I was by myself I could get 20+, and very seldom go up to 29. I kinda forced myself to play less and less and lately I only logged in just for campaigns. I tried all sorts of things, monitored CPU adn GPU temperature as well and found they were hotter than usual. I decided to re-paste both GPU and CPU few weeks ago and after that the laptop fans seem to be working way less than before, so definitely there was some overheating + dust going on. On the first days after the repasting I saw some 29 FPS going now and then, and now events are more bearable but I am far from having an optimal experience that I had before December 2015. I turned shadows, weather and effects off without much luck.

In the last weeks it has worsen a bit: now I am experiencing these random crashes. I forgot to mention on the last months, whenever FFXI crashed I had a video driver crash message + sometimes a BSOD. Lately, after the repaste, I stopped having any driver crashed, but FFXI seems to crash randomly now and then. What I observed on the last days is that sometimes I don't crash alone and 2 or 3 of the LS members crash at the same time of me.

Today we were doing the new Ambuscade and whenever we went to Caedarva to re-get demon kills, I crashed always. I was directed to this thread by an LS mate and after unloading Guildwork I didn't seem to crash anymore (but only did 3 more runs). FPS are still sub-optimal, btw, around 15 FPS just standing in Mhaura but it can be the fact there are many people around.

Anyway, it is just a kind of "me too", "dunno what's happening" thread. It could very well be the laptop (but it isn't *that* old, only 4 years old) but I believe something changed since around December and I just can't play optimally again, like I used to do in the past.

I didn't mention on that thread, but I was able to just configure POL to always run from the nVidia card, but had very similar results running from either nVidia or Intel integrated one.

Anyway, will give this dgVodoo thing a try, thanks!
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-05-15 18:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, went ahead and followed instructions, but I guess something went wrong somewhere:

Even with those "funny" graphics, I was able to:

1) Verify FFXI was running off nVidia card, not the Intel one, via the nVidia control panel program.

2) Verify that FPS are still very bad, around 18 standing in Mhaura :(
By riktar 2016-05-15 18:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

are you making sure that the dgvoodoo2 is bypassing directx before launching pol and then enabling it again before launching the game?

i had that same issue but where it didn't hook but that was because i placed the dgvoodoo2 in the ffxi folder and not pol. Also just for troubleshooting make sure you tick "enable voodoo watermark" just to make sure it properly hooks.

keep us updated!
By riktar 2016-05-15 18:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

it's supposed to be displaying a dgvoodoo watermark right behind your hp on the lower right.
 Sylph.Abz
Server: Sylph
user: Paegan
By Sylph.Abz 2016-05-15 18:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Vausabant said: »
Well I got voodoo to work but not with super sampling, always crashes on ffxi launched with super on.
Try allocating more VRAM. I think 1024 should be good up to 1920x1080 with super-sampling, if not try 1536 or 2048.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-15 19:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the moral of the story is to not buy Alienware.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-05-15 19:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

are you making sure that the dgvoodoo2 is bypassing directx before launching pol and then enabling it again before launching the game?

i had that same issue but where it didn't hook but that was because i placed the dgvoodoo2 in the ffxi folder and not pol. Also just for troubleshooting make sure you tick "enable voodoo watermark" just to make sure it properly hooks.

keep us updated!

Yup! Made sure to follow your instructions 100% accurately, using POL.exe folder, checking and unchecking box and I did see the watermark, it didn't show on the screenshot for some reason but it was there.
By riktar 2016-05-16 12:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your GPU usage @ when you launch it with dgvoodoo? i have msi afterburner launched and it hovers around 20-30% usage. idk if AW has any additional drivers set in place but i have a vbios flash on my sager (np8672). Also have the nvidia controller on maximum for all applications.
By Verda 2016-05-16 12:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

My laptop isn't alienware lots of laptops use optimus unfortunately.
By riktar 2016-05-16 12:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah optimus is baked into the 4th gen nvidia chips now. No way to disable it, simply bypass it.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-05-16 12:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

So you have to check/uncheck that "passthrough" box every single time? There should be some settings in the app to automate that or at least some script.
By riktar 2016-05-16 13:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah process should be as follows:
-launch dgvoodo2
-check bypass AND HIT APPLY
-Launch POL
-Uncheck Bypass AND HIT APPLY
-Proceed to login regularly.

it's literally 3 extra seconds. Now if you were to log on and off a dozen times a day i can see the inconvenience but I log in once and usually have it running in the back damn near 24/7.

Once thing i've noticed is that the controller no longer works if a window is opened on top of the game. I used to be able to move or control the game with wiki up briefly. I THINK i used to be able to do that... but it's been 4 years so ..idk lol
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-05-16 18:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your GPU usage @ when you launch it with dgvoodoo? i have msi afterburner launched and it hovers around 20-30% usage. idk if AW has any additional drivers set in place but i have a vbios flash on my sager (np8672). Also have the nvidia controller on maximum for all applications.

Sorry I took a while to reply, I hadn't had a chance to test earlier. MSI Afterburner reports Minimum of 23 and Maximum of 25% for GPU usage (GeForce GTX 460M).

I played changing several settings on dgVoodoo and on FFXI Config to see if I could pinpoint why my graphics appear like that (again, I can confirm the watermark is there, so the hook is done) but on all my attempts my char and every char nearby appear invisible.

I am giving up for now, I think. It's frustrating it isn't working, back to live with low FPS for now :(
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 18:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »

My laptop isn't alienware lots of laptops use optimus unfortunately.

I'm aware, was just giving a cheap shot.

Hopefully SE will do something that I never expected them to do again and fix some of that issue. I never expected them to add x-input support.
 Asura.Kurganprime
Server: Asura
user: Kurgan
By Asura.Kurganprime 2016-05-16 22:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Once thing i've noticed is that the controller no longer works if a window is opened on top of the game. I used to be able to move or control the game with wiki up briefly. I THINK i used to be able to do that... but it's been 4 years so ..idk lol
Riktar, there's an option in the FFXI Config program in the gamepad setup to check a box to enable the gamepad to work in the background.
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2016-05-17 00:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been having similar problems for the past months. It started in January.

The laptop restarts automatically when I 2-box(fans would be putting out alot of wind for some reason - I have 3 external fans placed under the laptop for cooling), Fps at 29.4 - things run smoothly, but sometimes it gets annoying when the laptop restarts on its own.

My laptop is a ALIENWARE M-17. I still havent been able to solve the problem, at first I thought it was a problem with my graphic card or Motherboard or whatever but after a BIOS SCAN and a anti-virus scan, everything was clean and 100% operational.

So any advice? Do you guys recommend the voodoo software that everyone is using?

Keep in mind Iam still using Windows 7.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-17 08:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »

The laptop restarts automatically when I 2-box(fans would be putting out alot of wind for some reason - I have 3 external fans placed under the laptop for cooling), Fps at 29.4 - things run smoothly, but sometimes it gets annoying when the laptop restarts on its own.

My laptop is a ALIENWARE M-17. I still havent been able to solve the problem, at first I thought it was a problem with my graphic card or Motherboard or whatever but after a BIOS SCAN and a anti-virus scan, everything was clean and 100% operational.

So any advice? Do you guys recommend the voodoo software that everyone is using?

Sounds like simple overheating.
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2016-05-17 09:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »

Sounds like simple overheating.

I never had the issue of overheating before since I have always had 3 EXTRA external fans installed to avoid that.

If it is that issue, should I increase the fan power inside the laptop(how to increase the fan power inside, by BIOS?)? Or should I clean the inside?
By riktar 2016-05-17 10:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kurganprime said: »
Riktar, there's an option in the FFXI Config program in the gamepad setup to check a box to enable the gamepad to work in the background.

Once again Kurgan with the save!
I'll try it when i get home tonight, if this fixes that concern next ffxi beer is on me lol
By Jetackuu 2016-05-17 10:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If your laptop is overheating then it's probably dirty and probably needs new thermal paste. It will usually tell you that it shut off due to thermal reasons though. Depending on settings.
By aryantes 2016-05-17 13:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having the same issue as Elvaanmoq.

Have a look at me doing acid with my moogle. Took screenshot with print screen since the ingame screens don't show watermark.

Tried Reshader Assistant 2 but it crashes on start, shortly after you can see the dgvoodoo2 watermark.

Tried textures compressed low, uncompressed.
Dgvoodoo2 VRAM is 1024MB, tried other sizes.
Checked the different filtering boxes in dgvoodoo2 but doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm not sure if the performance increase is valid or not since the textures are messed up but on my 960m, I do get solid 29.2fps when I was getting like 15 fps in Mhaura before.

Not sure what to do now but still playing around with it since it seems very worthwhile for me to get this to work.

Dell XPS 9550 960m
By aryantes 2016-05-17 15:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright I think i might have resolved my issue with the rainbows and missing textures.

I copied the D3DCompiler_43.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I downloaded this from the dgvoodoo website.

There was a D3DCompiler_47.dll in there already and i left it there.

It did not work at all when copying D3DCompiler_43.dll to the Playonline viewer directory, which is what is in the readme, it just kept crashing on startup.

I'm getting some intermittent random crashing which i will continue playing around with. Maybe its video ram sizes or textures compression etc not sure yet.

Almost there... getting excited... fps is up.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-05-18 05:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

aryantes said: »
Alright I think i might have resolved my issue with the rainbows and missing textures.

I copied the D3DCompiler_43.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I downloaded this from the dgvoodoo website.

There was a D3DCompiler_47.dll in there already and i left it there.

It did not work at all when copying D3DCompiler_43.dll to the Playonline viewer directory, which is what is in the readme, it just kept crashing on startup.

I'm getting some intermittent random crashing which i will continue playing around with. Maybe its video ram sizes or textures compression etc not sure yet.

Almost there... getting excited... fps is up.

Great! I'll try the D3DCompiler_47.dll on SysWOW64 tonight and see how it goes.

I don't want to give any false hope, but yesterday I was able to play at 29 FPS constantly and even 2-box (like I used to do before! I even 3-boxed now and then) without any apparent issue. What I did, was to uninstall ALL of the 3/4 components of nVidia drivers (PhysX, sound, whatever the others are called) BUT the video driver.

I don't know if there is any logic to this, and I didn't do much more than 4 Ambuscade runs + standing in Mhaura for few hours (+ the usual warps to re-get KI) but this seems strange. I am afraid to even reboot the computer now that it seems "fixed", but I'll have to do it eventually.

Is there any logic to this? Perhaps some of the "newer games software" installed by nVidia driver was messing something up with FFXI? For me it was easy to remove all components, since I only use this laptop for FFXI anyway.
By riktar 2016-05-18 06:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The xbox controller now works even when the game is in the background! Everything is running as it should I am however hitting a small bug(maybe?).

The game is capped at 60fps however when I log in and I'm alone in an empty areas and I'm the only model displayed it's at 59 fps however as soon as I zone into jeuno or anywhere else it's a solid 29fps. The only exception to this are cutscenes and when I initiate a conversation with an not which all run at 60fps.

Any idea what could be causing this?
By riktar 2016-05-18 08:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

after some research, it might be the fastcs addon but i'll find out when I try it later today.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-05-18 12:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if this could do any performance boost for me. I am not having this lame "optimus choosing intel over nvidia" issue but it sounds like this thing emulates dx11 on a dx8 game and it lets you set the amount of vram (or is it ram?) for the game to use, so maybe it could help with the performance on my laptop with gt 630M which has 2 gb vram?