Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 10:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

So in the abstract it states:
Quote:
The ratio of warming to cumulative emissions of carbon dioxide has been shown to be approximately
independent of time and emissions scenarios and directly relates emissions to temperature.
It is therefore
a potentially important tool for climate mitigation policy. The transient climate response to cumulative
carbon emissions (TCRE), defined as the ratio of global-mean warming to cumulative emissions at CO2
doubling in a 1%yr21 CO2 increase experiment, ranges from 0.8 to 2.4K EgC21 in 15 models from phase 5 of
the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP5)—a somewhat broader range than that found in a
previous generation of carbon–climate models. Using newly available simulations and a new observational
temperature dataset to 2010,TCREis estimated from observations by dividing an observationally constrained
estimate of CO2-attributable warming by an estimate of cumulative carbon emissions to date, yielding an
observationally constrained 5%–95% range of 0.7–2.0K EgC21.

Can you clarify that first sentence?

It sounds like, the total amount of CO2 (ppm) is independent of any warming. So instead the amount of emissions (not the cumulative amount of CO2 in ppm) directly affects [absolute, not change in] temperature.
You have to buy the study to find that out.
Well that seems silly.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 10:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
You've become so inflammatory lately, KN..there was a time civil debate could be had with you without every one of your posts being provocative..

Maybe he is just agitated at my presence :P

Menacing Snoopy avatar.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-02 10:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, you mean that you never automatically called me a denier just for questioning the sources?

Or are you calling me a denier because I pointed out an observation about this whole scenario of "trust me on what I say" to be the same as every religion out there?
What?
You even quoted the part where I cited Nausi. Are you Nausi? I'm confused by your(once again hostile)question.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 10:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The ratio of warming to cumulative emissions of carbon dioxide has been shown to be approximately
independent of time and emissions scenarios and directly relates emissions to temperature.
It is therefore
a potentially important tool for climate mitigation policy. The transient climate response to cumulative
carbon emissions (TCRE), defined as the ratio of global-mean warming to cumulative emissions at CO2
doubling in a 1%yr21 CO2 increase experiment, ranges from 0.8 to 2.4K EgC21 in 15 models from phase 5 of
the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP5)—a somewhat broader range than that found in a
previous generation of carbon–climate models. Using newly available simulations and a new observational
temperature dataset to 2010,TCREis estimated from observations by dividing an observationally constrained
estimate of CO2-attributable warming by an estimate of cumulative carbon emissions to date, yielding an

It sounds like, the total amount of CO2 (ppm) is independent of any warming. So instead the amount of emissions (not the cumulative amount of CO2 in ppm) directly affects [absolute, not change in] temperature.
You have to buy the study to find that out.
Well that seems silly.
That's what this is all about.

It's not for the betterment of society, it's out to make a quick buck.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-02 10:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
In 30 years when Europe is a Caliphate I bet they will look back and wish they focused on real problems.

How?

I might as well say "In 30 years when I am xyz I won't care/should have cared about xyz."

IDK how many hundreds of thousands of refugees are trying to get in just today? Who are they before they just absorb into the fabric of political correctness in Europe.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 10:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It actually lets you download the whole study for that one btw.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 10:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I just checked again. Where and what format?

Edit: NVM, found it. PDF for those who would miss it, it's not very noticeable.

Here's something to note:

Quote:
We thank BCC and IPSL for supplying
us with BCC_CSM1.1 and IPSL-CM5A-LR land–
atmosphere carbon flux data directly since the necessary
data were either not available on the CMIP5 archive or
were corrupted.

I hope they either fixed that for everyone or at least are willing to give that data to anyone who asks...

Also hope that it's original backup data and not scrubbed or altered data either....
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-02 10:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In 30 years when Europe is a Caliphate I bet they will look back and wish they focused on real problems.

How?

I might as well say "In 30 years when I am xyz I won't care/should have cared about xyz."

IDK how many hundreds of thousands of refugees are trying to get in just today? Who are they before they just absorb into the fabric of political correctness in Europe.
*sighs*
Immigration is the hottest topic currently. But just because that problem exists the rest of the world doesn't stop spinning...
Thos who studied natural sciences can't do much about immigration, so they keep doing their job.
As nurses keep nursing.
And teachers keep teaching.
And bakers keep baking.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 10:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And bakers keep baking.
Unless they are overly religious and a gay couple walks in asking for a wedding cake....

/couldn'tresist.jpg

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 10:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame the sun.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-02 10:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I will reply to that in random p&r to not derail further here.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 10:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It is just the same ***in a different era. As nations peak and prosperity is reached. When there is a down turn, problems, etc people always turn around and blame the immigrants. Then emotions spread like wildfire.

History will always repeat back to hating the Jews, Irish, Armenians, Slavs, etc. Anyone who is seen as taking a piece of the pie.

We all share in the good times together, but no one wants to share in the bad and it is everyone else's fault.
I....can't help but agree with this statement.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-09-02 10:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Heading to lunch, but before I do, I want to thank you guys for actually reading the stuff. I'll probably address Chaosx's question first since that one was bugging me too.

edit: I wanna mention that the intent of posting the abstracts is more that it's a lead, rather than "I literally have nothing". I haven't read through the articles myself, but at least there's a potential source of data that either side can investigate.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 11:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

No doubt. I'm just curious if that's what they mean before I continue actually looking at some data provided.

Good to see the purpose of this thread coming to fruition.

In case people missed it, it's on the first page and is radically different from the thread in the 2nd post (first page).
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-02 12:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It is therefore

They're saying that the ratio of warming to cumulative emissions (defined in the next sentence as TCRE) is proportional to emissions. This means that observations of warming can be used to estimate emissions or vice versa.
Quote:
This study therefore consists
of two parts: the first part describes the calculation of the
TCRE of 15 CMIP5 models and examines the extent to
which warming is proportional to cumulative emissions in
each model. The second part derives a new observation-
ally constrained estimate of TCRE, first by using CMIP5-
simulated temperature and temperature observations to
estimate CO2-attributable warming to 2010 and then by
dividing this by an estimate of cumulative CO2
emissionsup to this time.
Part one they show the how then part two is them doing it themselves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 12:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Quote:
It is therefore

They're saying that the ratio of warming to cumulative emissions (defined in the next sentence as TCRE) is proportional to emissions. This means that observations of warming can be used to estimate emissions or vice versa.
Quote:
This study therefore consists
of two parts: the first part describes the calculation of the
TCRE of 15 CMIP5 models and examines the extent to
which warming is proportional to cumulative emissions in
each model. The second part derives a new observation-
ally constrained estimate of TCRE, first by using CMIP5-
simulated temperature and temperature observations to
estimate CO2-attributable warming to 2010 and then by
dividing this by an estimate of cumulative CO2
emissionsup to this time.
Part one they show the how then part two is them doing it themselves.
Oh ok. I'll have to keep this mind the next time I look it at.

I'm not feeling it atm.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-02 13:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
To give everyone an idea of how AGW folks can get a positive "warmth" factor out of a negative trend, the atmosphere and ocean are not uniform in density. Because our planet is rotating and we have air and ocean currents, it causes different parts to be warmed / cooled at different rates. This is why it only makes sense when taken in as a whole. What they will do is look at the warming / cooling of the upper atmosphere, lower atmosphere, upper ocean, middle ocean and the various land mass's, then pick whichever one happened to warm the most.

So you can have a cooling in the upper and lower atmospheres, a slight warming of the middle ocean with the upper ocean being neutral. By selectively choosing to only look at the middle ocean they can construct a statement that "the temperatures of X are going up Y", and then later during a press release leave out the X part.

This is also how they can make the statement that "every year is the hottest year on record!". It's true only if taken in context of what exactly they measured, which is frequently dropped when it hits MSNBC / ABC / CNN. This is why I no longer take articles at face value, too much manipulation of perception taking place. Instead I just go to the studies and data themselves and read. It takes me a few hours each time, and I sometimes have to contact friends of mine who are better versed in the nuances involved.
Missed this. Warming trends are reported as global mean surface temperatures (GMSTs), because the temps where we actually live are what people give a *** about. When something gets reported, it's most likely referring to changes in the Earth's surface unless specified otherwise. I have no idea where he got whatever it is he's talking about, and I doubt any request for evidence will be acknowledged.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-09-02 17:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Oh ok. I'll have to keep this mind the next time I look it at.

I'm not feeling it atm.

It's not a study, they didn't study anything. They created a computer model, glorified excel spreedsheet, took land temperature and CO2 measurements and fed it into the model, then took the results and put them in a paper.

This presents area's that could result in a pre-set outcome.

Was the model accurate? (none to date have been)

Was the data original temperature or was it "normalized" and manipulated prior to being fed?

How was the output interpreted and was the result within the margin of error?

When I get some time I will dig through it, but those are the three things I look for. Lots of language will have you assume the "model" is something like a higher precision sensor when it actuality it's just some code with variables and parameters that are set by the coder. Earlier I wrote how all the predictions that were incorrect, and those are the same models being used for this.

Asura.Kingnobody said:
Wait, you mean that you never automatically called me a denier just for questioning the sources?

Or are you calling me a denier because I pointed out an observation about this whole scenario of "trust me on what I say" to be the same as every religion out there?

It's shaming tactics used to scare others into compliance, a form of ad hominem. They don't like what we say but putting up an argument would only validate the legitimacy of our own. So instead it's a resort to public ridicule and generic dismissal as though our arguments have no validity.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 17:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you see the part where the original data was corrupted Sav?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-02 17:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
It's shaming tactics used to scare others into compliance, a form of ad hominem. They don't like what we say but putting up an argument would only validate the legitimacy of our own. So instead it's a resort to public ridicule and generic dismissal as though our arguments have no validity.
Ignoring the fact that the one who appeals to ridicule others and use ad hominem is quite often you I already answered that.
I myself called Nausi a denier cause quoting
The only one who was called that was, unsurprisingly, Nausi, cause he at some point stopped even acknowledging the climate is changing at all for the sake of opposing the topic.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-02 17:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how Saevel talks about others avoiding proper arguments when he's blacklisted everyone who routinely disagrees with him. And since this is a discussion over evidence, how many shitposts does it take to get topicbanned for routinely not producing any? E.g. how many times should somebody be asked for evidence of inaccurate models before their comments just becomes trolling?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-02 18:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how Saevel talks about others avoiding proper arguments when he's blacklisted everyone who routinely disagrees with him. And since this is a discussion over evidence, how many shitposts does it take to get topicbanned for routinely not producing any? E.g. how many times should somebody be asked for evidence of inaccurate models before their comments just becomes trolling?

You have your own thread, topicban people there. Nobody should be topicbanned here for not posting according to your personal climate change discussion standards.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-02 18:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, 'personal discussion standards' is quite the euphemism.
What data are you referring to?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-02 20:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What data are you referring to?
I just checked again. Where and what format?

Edit: NVM, found it. PDF for those who would miss it, it's not very noticeable.

Here's something to note:

Quote:
We thank BCC and IPSL for supplying
us with BCC_CSM1.1 and IPSL-CM5A-LR land–
atmosphere carbon flux data directly since the necessary
data were either not available on the CMIP5 archive or
were corrupted.

I hope they either fixed that for everyone or at least are willing to give that data to anyone who asks...

Also hope that it's original backup data and not scrubbed or altered data either....
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 39 40 41