VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 22:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Jassik said: »
The pacific garbage patch disagrees

This thing?

Oh the (yawn) humanity.

The real one, not the stupid facebook chain letter.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-05 22:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Ahh this was cute to watch people who don't understand physics try to use Venus as an example.

Psst, Venus's runaway temperatures isn't due to CO2 concentrations at all. If that's all the atmosphere had then it wouldn't be anywhere near it's current temperature.

Sulfur dioxide is the real culprit. It's not a greenhouse gas, but it's presence in large quantities cause's rampant cloud formation such that it blocks out virtually all light, both up and down. The surface of Venus would be incredibly dark, a really deep twilight. The lower atmosphere is actually warmer then the planet surface as almost all light is absorbed before it hits the surface and thus never gets absorbed and re-emmited as IR radiation. The polar vortex's act like a giant turbo oven that circulates this ultra warm atmosphere across the planet in a way very similiar to our own, just at a much faster speed.

Venus is heated from the top down (technically from the lower middle down) and not from the bottom up. Normally it would be very cold since such little light actually reach's the middle, but the small amount that does make it never leaves so it builds up, a little bit at a time, over millions of years until you get this dim yet ultra hot ball of acidic hell. The atmosphere isn't even a true gas but instead exists as a super-critical fluid.

It's such a radically different model then our own that no direct comparisons can be made. Anyone attempting to use it as a "see CO2 is BAD!!!" just shows their own ignorance.
You're basically just making ***up. You're saying that SO2 isn't a GH gas (factually true) then saying that it works like a GH gas to heat Venus. At least Nausi acknowledged that CO2 plays a role even though he's seriously underplaying it. You're just completely ignoring it.

The point wasn't to compare Earth and Venus. The point was to undermine the repeated lie about CO2 saturation.
That's actually false.

The Ocean's ability to absorb CO2 and thermal energy is 10,000 that of the atmosphere. It was another one of those theory's that was thrown onto the stack of "CO2 IS BAD SEE" without someone knowing the chemistry behind it. The Ocean can not "acidify" as long as there are deposits of calcium carbonate. The PH balance of various spots in the world is changing because our climate is constantly changing, especially as we finish a solar maxim. The Ocean can lag several decades to a full century behind the atmosphere due to it's raw mass. Any significant changes now would of been in response to things happening in the late 19th and early 20th century, not a few decades ago.

And please get your orders of magnitude strait. The Ocean is working on two to three order of magnitudes larger then the atmosphere. Any condition that would of had a significant impact on the Ocean in our perception of time would of been so disruptive that it would of caused a mass extinction event.
Seriously, where is he getting this information from?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 22:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

This thing?

Oh the (yawn) humanity.

The real one, not the stupid facebook chain letter.

Okay, I was making sure that you were referring to the one that can't be seen with the naked eye and has dubious effects on the environment, as opposed to the completely fake one represented in practically every image on Google.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-10-05 22:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I mean just having miles of dissolved, contaminated plastic floating around can't be bad.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 22:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

According to one scientist, "If you filled a thousand Nalgene water bottles in the North Pacific, three to five would have one piece of plastic in them the size of an eraser." Potential hazard? Maybe, they're not entirely sure. But when most photos of it depict tsunami aftermath instead of what's actually there, I have to lol.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-05 22:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the total volume of water they're talking about, that's still impressive. At the very least, it's a clear indication of how careless we can be with our waste even if the ecological effects are not yet apparent.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 22:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

According to one scientist,

According to one scientist? You'd so take the word of a single anonymous "scientist" on anything that contradicted your position.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-05 22:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's another environmental scam, much akin to global warming one of current topic.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-05 23:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
At least Nausi acknowledged that CO2 plays a role even though he's seriously underplaying it. You're just completely ignoring it.
He and I share the same position on the nature of CO2, it plays a role, but a small one. He was pretty clear on that.

Given the total volume of water they're talking about, that's still impressive. At the very least, it's a clear indication of how careless we can be with our waste even if the ecological effects are not yet apparent.

Oh the humanity.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-05 23:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So despite the lack of thorough research on the topic, you've already dismissed it as a scam. Sounds about right.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-06 00:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

According to one scientist? You'd so take the word of a single anonymous "scientist" on anything that contradicted your position.

Because my quote of one scientist is the absolute compilation of everything I've read on the matter
.... Do you purposely keep those straws just barely out of reach?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 09:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So despite the lack of thorough research on the topic, you've already dismissed it as a scam. Sounds about right.

It's a scam the same way global warming is. Much ado about practically nothing. But if you want to suggest that means I think it doesn't exist, then that ignorance is on you my friend.

There is no massive pile of garbage and contaminants that will unbarance the world and kill us all, there is no existential danger. Just another instrument of guilt put forth by environmentalists and communists in their search for power.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 09:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Because my quote of one scientist is the absolute compilation of everything I've read on the matter

Oh please. If ANYONE quoted "some scientist" the way you just did, you'd be all over them, don't even pretend you wouldn't.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-06 09:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh please. If ANYONE quoted "some scientist" the way you just did, you'd be all over them, don't even pretend you wouldn't.
No, that would be you. You are the only one who would have made a big deal about it.

Case in point.

BTW, you have been very aggressive lately. Are you finally showing your colors, or are you trying to nuke the P&R section?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 09:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

No, that would be you. You are the only one who would have made a big deal about it.

Case in point.

BTW, you have been very aggressive lately. Are you finally showing your colors, or are you trying to nuke the P&R section?

Afraid to lose your playground? I'm one of the people working to keep it around. Don't think your new-found sense of causation is me being aggressive.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 09:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That's actually false.

The Ocean's ability to absorb CO2 and thermal energy is 10,000 that of the atmosphere. It was another one of those theory's that was thrown onto the stack of "CO2 IS BAD SEE" without someone knowing the chemistry behind it. The Ocean can not "acidify" as long as there are deposits of calcium carbonate. The PH balance of various spots in the world is changing because our climate is constantly changing, especially as we finish a solar maxim. The Ocean can lag several decades to a full century behind the atmosphere due to it's raw mass. Any significant changes now would of been in response to things happening in the late 19th and early 20th century, not a few decades ago.

And please get your orders of magnitude strait. The Ocean is working on two to three order of magnitudes larger then the atmosphere. Any condition that would of had a significant impact on the Ocean in our perception of time would of been so disruptive that it would of caused a mass extinction event.
Seriously, where is he getting this information from?

Well a quick trip to google reveals the mass of the atmosphere to be 5.3 x 10^15 kg and the mass of the oceans to be 1.4 x 10^21 kg. That means that you'd need over 26000 atmospheres to equal the same mass of the ocean.

Do you need a refresher on conduction and other aspects of thermodynamics?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-06 09:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm one of the people working to keep it around.
Your actions state otherwise. I mean, your newfounded aggression started roughly around the same time Rooks posted his ultimatum.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 09:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

KN, they have an interest in keeping P&R around. It keeps the garbage in the trash can where it belongs.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 09:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
KN, they have an interest in keeping P&R around. It keeps the garbage in the trash can where it belongs.

But aren't you saying most of your time on the site is in this trash?

We're a bunch of partisan video game nerds arguing over politics on the internet. When have you ever thought that to be a productive use of your time?
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 09:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Your actions state otherwise. I mean, your newfounded aggression started roughly around the same time Rooks posted his ultimatum.

Whatever you say, buddy. You're not nearly as clever as you think you are.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-06 10:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever you say, buddy. You're not nearly as clever as you think you are.
Let me ask you this then: Do you find the post you just made aggressive at all?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 10:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Next hot button cause of global warming, tall people.

Quote:
Next we talk about breeding people to be shorter, something Liao says could reduce our carbon footprint. Smaller people require less energy and use fewer resources, Liao argues. But selecting for height genetically would be a nightmare, according to the most recent paper that Maxmen found there are 697 genes involved in height. Since there’s not a good way to select for height genetically, another method Liao talks about in his paper is using treatments that cause babies to be born light — to have a low “birth weight.” But that comes with a set of very real dangers to the baby, and few mothers would opt to take that risk. Not to mention set their kid up for society’s bias against people (particularly men) who are shorter.

Good to know the "scientists" are in charge" Eugenics here we come!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-06 10:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's always been a favorite of mine "no dumping waste in the ocean, we'll ruin it"

The ocean is enormous, it's pretty tough to realize the full scale of it all. Our contribution to it is pretty minuscule, just like the co2 we pump into the atmosphere.
Are you the antichrist?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-06 10:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You're seriously everything a scientist hates about the world lol.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-06 10:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Yeah that's always been a favorite of mine "no dumping waste in the ocean, we'll ruin it"

The ocean is enormous, it's pretty tough to realize the full scale of it all. Our contribution to it is pretty minuscule, just like the co2 we pump into the atmosphere.
Are you the antichrist?

Well, thats very flattering Seha, but no I am not the antichrist.

I'm not suggesting that we dump all our garbage in the ocean, just that the hysteria over garbage in the ocean is just that. Sea water is not a good preservative, most of the stuff we throw in there breaks down eventually (even the plastic stuff we thought wouldn't).
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-06 10:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

but no I am not the antichrist.
I know, it was in jest. Everyone knows Obama is.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 39 40 41