The WORST Pre-Order Campaign I've Seen: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The WORST Pre-Order Campaign I've Seen: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The WORST Pre-Order Campaign I've Seen: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-09-02 12:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Red flags going up all over the place for me when it comes to this kind of ***.

High pressure to pre-order is often because a game isn't even that good and they want to make sure they sell as many copies as possible before everyone realises that the game sucks.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 12:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
The incredible cost of AAA development is the root cause, and that's not going away until the demand for high end graphics goes away (or they get vastly cheaper to produce).
Well I do my part by not buying games with state of art graphics. Game play is much more important, imo. Although I can never get enough of the 16 bit games lol.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-02 12:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The games I play the most came out about 10+ years ago.

The most recent game I played was the online version of Sim City and that got old fast. There was Duke Nukem Forever before that.

Everything else is like Half Life 2 quality down to 16 bit.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-09-02 13:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The games I play the most came out about 10+ years ago.

The most recent game I played was the online version of Sim City and that got old fast. There was the biggest letdown in the history of Forever before that.

Everything else is like Half Life 2 quality down to 16 bit.
FTFY
VIP
By Kalila 2015-09-02 13:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
AFAIK
Demand for quality in games is ballooning budget needs to the point where a game gone bust can sink a company. It causes successes like Assassins Creed to be run into the ground to suck all the proift possible from it as it is a known success. Where preorders, DLC, etc are required to mitigate this and turn a profit. This path the industry is on is not sustainable in the long run.
The shelf life is short because of the nature of things.

Preorder numbers can kill games before they even get released. The system is ***.

Well, sure, the system is horrible. But the reason pre-order bonuses get split up like this is because it's financially incentivized for the developer to do so, which in turn reduces some of the risk of a bomb.

I'm not saying it's some consumer friendly practice, but there's a reason it's gotten worse, and it's not because game companies are evil; they just want to get paid. That's the whole point of commercial game development! Make neat stuff, get paid, hopefully make enough money to fund the next iteration of the cycle.

The incredible cost of AAA development is the root cause, and that's not going away until the demand for high end graphics goes away (or they get vastly cheaper to produce).
Most comments I read about this is the simple: "Well, I'll just pirate the game and get all the rewards".

Now Gawdless had a point, Collector's Edition does get everything, for 150 dollars, 2.5x the original cost of the game.

Yes most are skins, except some of the skin packs have exclusive weapons.

Regardless, they are basically threatening players that they won't release some of these rewards if they don't get enough people buying. It's pretty much scaring customers into buying in hopes that enough people join with them so they unlock all the tiers.

Even the collector's edition doesn't get the Tier 5 reward.

Post deleted by User.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Gawdless
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2015-09-02 13:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya kinda forgot they only had the figure collectors..
VIP
By Kalila 2015-09-02 13:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Well I do my part by not buying games with state of art graphics. Game play is much more important, imo. Although I can never get enough of the 16 bit games lol.
Some of the most notable games I've seen / played have been made by a 1 man team, sometimes 2 to help with artwork. Their gameplay is among the best.

IMO a 3D environment just complicates game design to a point where it is very expensive to produce the same quality of gameplay. Most open world games look beautiful, but can easily end up being very repetitive and dull when you really get into things.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-01 09:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Square Enix Cancels Controversial Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Order Program

Quote:
Square Enix has announced the cancellation of its highly-controversial Deus Ex: Mankind Divided pre-order program.

First revealed alongside the release date, the "Augment Your Pre-Order" program let people pick what pre-order bonuses they would receive among a handful of different options, with different tiers opening up when higher overall pre-order numbers were hit.

For example, the first tier offered three in-game packs, such as a classic pack or enforcer pack, to choose from. And if enough people pre-purchased Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Square Enix promised to release the game four days early.

It seems the wave of backlash the company received convinced it to rethink its position, however, as the system is no more. A blog post explains all the incentive content will now be available to anyone who pre-orders or buys a Day One edition of the game, while the release date will remain locked on February 23.
[+]