Connecticut Town Will Destroy Violent Games

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Connecticut Town Will Destroy Violent Games
Connecticut Town Will Destroy Violent Games
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-25 18:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Connecticut Town Will Collect, Destroy Violent Games

Southington, Connecticut is seeking to collect and destroy violent games. A new initiative called the Violent Video Games Return Program is offering citizens a $25 gift certificate in exchange for their violent games. According to Polygon, the collected games will then be "snapped, tossed into a town dumpster and likely later incinerated." The event is organized by the SouthingtonSOS, which includes members of “the Chamber of Commerce, YMCA, board of education, fire department, town officials, United Way and local clergy.” Violent movies and music will also be accepted.

"There are youngsters who appear to be consumed with violent video games,” Southington School superintendent Joe Erardi told Polygon. "I'm not certain if that's a good thing. If this encourages one courageous conversation with a parent and their child, then it's a success. We're suggesting that for parents who have a child or children who play violent video games, to first of all view the games. We're asking parents to better understand what their child is doing. Have a conversation about next steps. If parents are comfortable [with their child's gaming habits], we're comfortable.”

The event will take place on January 12th at the Southington Drive-in Theatre, where Polygon reports people who bring in games will receive “a $25 gift voucher intended to be used for other forms of entertainment, like perhaps, a local water park." The gift certificate will be donated by a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce as a "token of appreciation for their action of responsible citizenship.”

SouthingtonSOS released the following statement about the event:

"The group's action is not intended to be construed as statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of the shocking violence in Newtown on December 14th. Rather, SouthingtonSOS is saying is that there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and Movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying. Social and political commentators, as well as elected officials including the president, are attributing violent crime to many factors including inadequate gun control laws, a culture of violence and a recreational culture of violence."

"Our message is fairly simple: Have the conversation with your child," Erardi added. "If you conclude your child is done with these games, drop them off and [let's] move forward. That is all. It's not about the NRA endorsing, or video game production companies defending, it's a grassroots movement. It's simple and we believe it's meaningful."

Southington’s efforts come just a couple weeks after West Virginia senator Jay Rockefeller proposed a bill to study “the impact of violent content, including video games and video programming, on children” and the National Rifle Association blamed violent entertainment for recent shootings.

Source

Saw this artical from alphaomegasin

Language warning; if u care'
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-25 19:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad a lot of games are digitally downloaded today.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-14 11:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

And this is how gamestop went out of business...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-14 11:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Eeyeah, let me tell you how violent Team Fortress 2 makes me. Oh, wait, I'm not a violent person about 90% of the time, and the remaining 10%, someone else has to really cross a specific line to make me go off on a violent rage.

That's 2 hours and 24 minutes of violence a day, man.

You need to see a doctor.
[+]
By volkom 2015-07-14 11:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

sure sure~ blame video games.

not all the movies and tv shows with all the sex, drugs, violence and death.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-14 11:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
sure sure~ blame video games.

not all the movies and tv shows with all the sex, drugs, violence and death.
Really none of it are to blame.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-14 11:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the real question is, does Gamestop pay $25 to buy back used games?

If not, then sure I'll buy a new game, play it to completion, and then hand it over to the local council for $25.
[+]
By Chyula 2015-07-14 11:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hope they burn all the Mario games.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 11:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They can start by burning copies of this psychopath:

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 11:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

America: Land of the free, home of shows like the Walking Dead but *** if you show nipples or a rock hard penis on TV.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 11:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
America: Land of the free, home of shows like the Walking Dead but *** if you show nipples or a rock hard penis on TV.

Game of Thrones?

HBO is a paid service.
By fonewear 2015-07-14 11:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Too bad a lot of games are digitally downloaded today.

The problem with that is some people that live in rural areas can't get fast enough internet to do that.
By fonewear 2015-07-14 11:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we just let the zombie thing die once and for all !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-14 11:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me guess this all falls back to Sandy Hook. Cause Adam Lanza liked to play those damn violent video games !
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I guess the real question is, does Gamestop pay $25 to buy back used games?

If not, then sure I'll buy a new game, play it to completion, and then hand it over to the local council for $25.

The answer is no. If you want 25 bucks you would have to purchase a brand new game. Sell it back to them immediately to get 25 bucks !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-14 12:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been commented on for decades.

America's moral duality when it comes to censorship is reprehensible.

All the violence and gore you want "within reason" (make the blood black; make the enemies Nazis, robots, or zombies, etc.).

Any hint of sexuality or "bad words" and it's immediately getting the hammer thrown down.

Forgetting that words require context and sexuality is something that you, by nature, are required by nature to deal with as a human being (admittedly, we've been taught as a society to deal with it entirely incorrectly, thank you religion).

90% of the "awkwardness" of puberty is societally-inflicted, for ***'s sake.

Now, all that said.

Violent video games (or other media) are not the problem, and never have been. They're something to use as a whipping boy to placate the cowering masses.
By Zyla 2015-07-14 12:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

great idea, lets take away and destroy another form of entertainment that a legitimate crazy person may be using as a vice to keep themselves from acting on their desires to hurt/kill/maim ppl that piss them off or just in general...

or what we could do is realize that there is always going to be violence as long as humans persist to exist. it's not like we ourselves aren't the actual problem here, right? if someone commits an act of violence then the potential for violence was already there. media did nothing to implant that, that's just something humans are born with.

and beyond that i'm personally against all this mass sensitizing to violence. sometimes violence is necessary to counteract violence. in that recent shooting if only just 1 person in that church had a gun themselves and weren't afraid to use it to save their own lives and the lives of others the whole situation could have turned out alot different.

just my 2 cents on the issue
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming that more guns means that tragedies would be prevented rather than just escalated or worse, innocents being killed by would-be defenders. You think guns in the hands of every dipshit in large cities would be a good idea?

It's all assumption. Most psychopaths are foiled by boring detective work, loved ones turning you in or chance screwups. We're enamored by
flashy TV style results but really what stops violence is prevention, not last minute heroics.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming that more guns means that tragedies would be prevented rather than just escalated or worse, innocents being killed by would-be defenders. You think guns in the hands of every dipshit in large cities would be a good idea?

It's all assumption. Most psychopaths are foiled by boring detective work, loved ones turning you in or chance screwups. We're enamored by
flashy TV style results but really what stops violence is prevention, not last minute heroics.

Chicago would like a word with you !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 12:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Chicago's problems are corruption and mass poverty, much like Detroit. Flooding the area with guns and telling the poor to 'take back' their little slabs of neighborhood is the stuff of Death Wish movies.

A damn good movie. But a movie none the less.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Guns and poor people sounds like a winning combo to me !
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

These are the same people that vowed to stop gun violence (after Sandy Hook) and Obama played them like a fool to try to push stricter gun laws.

You can't let a school massacre get in the way of stricter gun laws or video game bans !
By Zyla 2015-07-14 12:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

and you're assuming that i meant everyone needs a gun. what i was driving at is the fact that we as a whole have become far too complacent and completely rely on others for our own safty. even if it's only a slim chance that someone could've stopped a shooting by killing the shooter, i'd still rather have that slim chance opposed to certain death, the means in which he was stopped is irrelevant to me be it gun, knife, or ppl just beating him to death if they could get close enough.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If they really cared about their kids they would be good parents. And not look to easy fixes (ban violent video games) to raise a "normal" child. You can take away little billy's video games. But if you are terrible parent he will probably be a terrible adult.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 12:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Zyla said: »

and you're assuming that i meant everyone needs a gun. what i was driving at is the fact that we as a whole have become far too complacent and completely rely on others for our own safty. even if it's only a slim chance that someone could've stopped a shooting by killing the shooter, i'd still rather have that slim chance opposed to certain death, the means in which he was stopped is irrelevant to me be it gun, knife, or ppl just beating him to death if they could get close enough.

Um, that's quite a broad statement to be making, especially since on an almost daily basis people defuse violent situations without a firearm. Be that choking out the drugged up liquor store robber or simply beating the ***out of some belligerent. Just last week an offduty cop disarmed a guy with a knife trying to hold up a 7/11.

I'm sure in theoryland someone would have bullet timed the shooter and prevented a massacre but who's expecting to be gunned down in a church? Or watching Batman? Or at a mall while shopping for a pair of swim trunks?

How many people could be relied upon to act with proper training and not to panic or make huge errors under stress? What you say sounds good on paper and is an ideal to strive for but hardly the reality of most mass kills in the US.

***, look at Fort Hood.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-14 12:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
If they really cared about their kids they would be good parents. And not look to easy fixes (ban violent video games) to raise a "normal" child. You can take away little billy's video games. But if you are terrible parent he will probably be a terrible adult.

Shut up, I'm having sex with my wife while the little ***plays Call of Duty without any supervision or context. He's yelling into a mic at randoms and my wife is yelling at me to pull out.

Looks like we're both screwups.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-14 12:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

People play other games besides FFXI ? That is news to me !
By Ramyrez 2015-07-14 13:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Sick children have been torturing animals for longer than this country has existed.

A few video games aren't planting bad ideas, nor nurturing them.
First Page 2