FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 23 24 25
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-18 10:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I also don't think the wheelchair scene will be quite the same in glorious 3D, the what? Three animations he does in the wheel chair and the awkward creak, always made it a bit weird and funny.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-18 11:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Glorious chocobo breeding in HD!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-18 17:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-06-18 18:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
My friend and I just call it cutscene death, you're only at risk of permanent death in a cutscene.
Squall taking a huge icicle through the chest would like to question this. But since he only speaks in ellipses, I'll have to do it on his behalf.

And Ravael, I specifically said the characters have no arcs. They all have backstories (some are even vaguely interesting), but if you aren't Cloud, Aerith, or Sephiroth, you don't get an arc. What changes for Tifa throughout the game? She's been big sister/kind of a love interest to Cloud, which makes her an interesting character, but once you've learned about their past together, boom, that's it. Nothing changes. Barrett is the same. We don't even get a backstory for Vincent Valentine. Yuffie is probably the closest we get to a side-story arc, which is hilarious considering she's optional loli fap material. Red XIII almost gets some kind of character arc but you could miss it if you blink. The only one who changes is Cait Sith, the double-robot double-agent, and his story is literally "I was totally spying on you guys but now I'm on your side LOL." To which every gamer with a functioning brainstem said, "Wait, you're still here?"

Let's contrast with the other game getting re-whatevered: FFXII. Vaan and Penelo are throwaway characters, can't dispute that, but Ashe, Balthier, Basche, and Fran all experience individual stories and change over the course of the game, even though the most interesting one (Fran) is rather brief and subtle. They're a lot of trope-tastic stories, of course, but there's actual growth and change.

When they *** up FFVII with this re-release, I hope they at least bother to let Tifa grab Cloud by the neck and shake him around for rebuffing her for years. And add a minigame where we have to repeatedly fire Cait Sith robots into the sun until we hit 1,000,000 points (1 point per death), at which point Aerith learns how to survive that silly cutscene papercut and we can have a useful character finish out the plot.

At the very least, have an ending. Even you folks wanting a graphical update and nothing else (why? I really don't get it) should agree that actually having an ending and resolution would be nice.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-18 18:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a backstory for Vincent...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-06-18 18:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Glorious chocobo breeding in HD!
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-06-18 18:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Vincent is optional as *** but there are still elements.

But we're in 2015 anyway, Vincent has had his own game, so they have to take this into consideration (even if most people haven't touched Dirge of Cerberus).

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
At the very least, have an ending. Even you folks wanting a graphical update and nothing else (why? I really don't get it) should agree that actually having an ending and resolution would be nice.
Agreeing isn't difficult, understanding is.

They developed the universe to a point where it needed several games to complete the puzzle.
In their remake, they need to take all of that into consideration. First to allow people to catch up and second to actually make sense in general. And also to make sense toward people who know the universe.

I'd argue that a proper FFVII nowadays would need to literally begin with Crisis Core and end with FFVII. Who knows, they may make a small prologue.

Just hope that they don't *** up and manage to fit everything on a couple blu rays at most. But given the time we live in, either we have FFVII: XIII edition or we have a proper game with a blu ray ready to explode and approximately 20GO/200$ of DLC.

Either way, people who want to be unhappy will be unhappy and the others who are just happy to have a remake at all will be happy.

As long as they keep the core gameplay the same I'll be happy.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-06-18 18:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if Vincent's weapon draw will include Cerberus in this.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-06-18 19:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope this also makes SE bring before crisis to north america. I know it was a phone game and gameplay looks meh but least would be intresting to play for story reasons.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-06-18 20:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hope to God they don't lame up the battle system. I just know they're going to make it like all the new ones where it's an active battle with AI characters and crap, but I can hope can't I?

The customize-ability of linking all the different materia was one of my favorite parts of the game.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-06-19 06:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
That's an unavoidable mechanic of RPG's. Imagine Dark Souls where dying meant you had to restart the game. In order for characters to have mortality, they have to break that wall, and no amount of plot devices can really change it.

I did like the system in Tactics, where if a KO'd party member wasn't revived within a certain number of turns, they would be lost forever or cause you to lose the battle in the case of main characters.

I guess I'd be welcoming to a new type of battle system, the turn-based ATB system in FFVII was largely the result of the hardware of the era. But, that system was kept in use for quite a while after it was unnecessary because it is the iconic battle system for RPG's.

That battle system existed in FFVI and Chrono Trigger. ATB has been around a long a$$ time, its kind of a hybrid between turn based and real time where you get to chose whether the game pauses for you in menus or not.

Also the various Fire Emblems had "perma-death", along with a gigantic cast of characters to fill your ranks with. I remember having to reload many saves because in a battle, the enemy ganged up on one of my characters and cheap-shoted him.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-19 08:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be opposed to a Tales style battle system with limited movement and characters on AI but it might interfere with the VII purists.

Vincent / Yuffie being optional hasn't been a thing since the original release. Both are mentioned in the canon releases.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2015-06-23 03:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I so hope the standard boss music (not J.E.N.O.V.A) sounds something like this. Militaristic and just simply more epic.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 03:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
I just hope to God they don't lame up the battle system. I just know they're going to make it like all the new ones where it's an active battle with AI characters and crap, but I can hope can't I?

The customize-ability of linking all the different materia was one of my favorite parts of the game.
There is some hope, I mean they could have botched up FFIV (DS and god awful port to PC) even more by doing this, but instead they just stuck with the lame graphics and voice over (ugh).

Unrelated to your post:

Why do people keep citing 'the hardware at the time' was the reason for turn based RPGs?

That's simply not true. Maybe for NES, but SNES and beyond, the argument is completely unfounded and there are examples of such.

Zelda, SoM, SoulBlazer, etc.

Unless for some reason people love to get hit by mobs whenever you access any type of menu. If that's the case, your issue much different than real time battle.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 03:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Also it's not the modern day graphics I have a problem with, it's the bobble head ones they used. If you're going to remake the graphics, do it so it looks cool, not childish and lame. As for voice acting... eh... If the voices aren't annoying I can deal with it, but I'd rather they be left out.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-23 03:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I'd like to mention that she will be called Aerith in the remake.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 07:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I'd like to mention that she will be called Aerith in the remake.
and now we know why I won't buy it.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-23 07:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what's worse, that I know they'll change her name to Aerith (they've done it in every game since FF7), or the fact that searching for an image to convey my feelings about, one of the first images I found was of Naruto and Sasuke making out.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 08:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what's worse, that I know they'll change her name to Aerith (they've done it in every game since FF7), or the fact that searching for an image to convey my feelings about, one of the first images I found was of Naruto and Sasuke making out.
The worst part is (if I understand it correctly) is that Aerith is a worse way to translate it, that's not even getting into how it sounds stupid.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2015-06-23 09:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe... just maybe....

[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-23 09:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
The worst part is (if I understand it correctly) is that Aerith is a worse way to translate it, that's not even getting into how it sounds stupid.

Yes, the correct way to translate it is the worse way to translate it. Right.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 09:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »

Literal translations aren't the best way to translate something, you often lose meaning.

In this case you lose the sound.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-23 10:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Literal translations aren't the best way to translate something, you often lose meaning.

In this case you lose the sound.

No. You don't. Because that's the correct way to translate it. The "sound" that you're "losing" is an error that should never have been made in the first place by the localization team, just like "this guy are sick".

What "meaning" are you losing here? Exactly what "meaning" is being lost by correcting "Aeris" to "Aerith"? Which, again, like a drumbeat, monotonous and repetitive, is the correct way to translate it that it was originally meant to be done as.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 10:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to argue with you, have a debate with somebody who cares what you think.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-23 10:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to argue with you, have a debate with somebody who cares what you think.

"I'm wrong, you're right, and I know it, so I'm gonna take my ball and go home."
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 10:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

"I'm right, you're wrong, and I know it, so I'm gonna take my ball and go home."
ftfy

edit: and I like my ball.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-23 10:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

From what research I've done into the way Japanese would spell/pronounce her name, they would spell her name Aerith, but the pronunciation would be very similar to how we say Aeris.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-23 11:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Her name is 'dies on disc 1' to me.

Also, who uses Aeris/Aerith anyway?

Cloud
Yuffie
Cid/RedXII

All day bruh.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-23 11:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My team was full of men brah.

Cloud, Cid, Barrett, the men of FFVII, the real men.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 11:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My team was full of men brah.

Cloud, Cid, Barrett, the men of FFVII, the real men.
Bismarck.Zuidar said: »
maybe... just maybe....

'nuff said.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 23 24 25