Who Is Our Biggest Foreign Intelligence Threat?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » who is our biggest foreign intelligence threat?
who is our biggest foreign intelligence threat?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-30 13:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
fonewear said: »
Nothing like bringing up George W Bush whenever Obama is *** up the country though !

I wish I had a scapegoat in real life I could blame all all the stuff I mess up.

History follows sequence. The act of invading Iraq has shaped the current foreign policy situation involving ISIS and trillions up in smoke occupying and trying to stabilize that country. No Iraq invasion presumably meant no AQ in Iraq who'd later go on to become IS and more attention paid to our Afghanistan campaign.

So yeah, it's Bush's fault there. Iraq became a boondoggle with a Shia led government that fell into time tested means of oppressing the minority which directly fed into an insurgencies hand. Having a ***tier democracy in a part of the world where said government isn't organic tends to do that.

As for Obama. You could say his dealing with Putin has further iced our relations with Russia but Putin's decision on Crimea and Ukraine are in the best interests of his nation and run counter to American 'world police' isms. Putin felt encroached upon and wants his nation to be once again seen as competitive with the US so conflict was unavoidable here. He's playing a nationalistic game and that means America is a rival.

On Syria we could have acted directly on Assad post 'red line' but who in America wanted to put boots on the ground sans the hawks? Everyone yells DO SOMETHING but no one wants to put skin in the game.

We've acted through proxies (those moderates!) and the proxies blew up in our faces, again. Is America prepared to take Assad out ourselves and shore up that nation too?
If you want to go that route, it's the US fault for getting into WWII after an attack on our naval base unprovoked. We should have taken it up the *** and gone our way. It's also the Pilgrims fault for surviving long enough to colonize America, so might as well blame them for 395 years of human history.

While we are at it, might as well blame the Big Bang for starting this ***up.

As long as Obama get's a free pass, that's all that matters, right?
[+]
By palladin9479 2015-03-30 13:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on we used to have a global warming thread almost once a month.

Well no warming for 17~19 years depending on how you measure it even though global CO2 levels have continued to rise. Give it another decade or ten and we might be back to where we were two thousand years ago.

ACW folks would show you this and yell in alarm "OMFG WE ARE ALL ABOUT TO DIE, GIVE ME YOUR MONEY AND I'LL GIVE YOU THESE TICKETS THAT SAY YOUR A GOOD PERSON AND NOT RESPONSIBLE"

Yet our recent geological history would show you this and say "ehh it's business as usual, we go through small warming periods every now and then"

A geologist would see this and say in consternation "you better f*cking hope it gets warmer, this planet is usually a giant frozen ball of ice with the occasional warm spell and we're about due to freeze our butts off again"

What I want to know is what fossil fuels were they burning in -340,000 and -125,000 BC. Was there some sort of advanced technic race that burned fossil fuels and contributed to some sort of globally created CO2 greenhouse effect. I mean after all the consensus is that 1880 was the perfectly ideal year of this planets climate and it can't possible change to any major degree..... right.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Nothing like bringing up George W Bush whenever Obama is *** up the country though !

I wish I had a scapegoat in real life I could blame all all the stuff I mess up.

History follows sequence. The act of invading Iraq has shaped the current foreign policy situation involving ISIS and trillions up in smoke occupying and trying to stabilize that country. No Iraq invasion presumably meant no AQ in Iraq who'd later go on to become IS and more attention paid to our Afghanistan campaign.

So yeah, it's Bush's fault there. Iraq became a boondoggle with a Shia led government that fell into time tested means of oppressing the minority which directly fed into an insurgencies hand. Having a ***tier democracy in a part of the world where said government isn't organic tends to do that.

As for Obama. You could say his dealing with Putin has further iced our relations with Russia but Putin's decision on Crimea and Ukraine are in the best interests of his nation and run counter to American 'world police' isms. Putin felt encroached upon and wants his nation to be once again seen as competitive with the US so conflict was unavoidable here. He's playing a nationalistic game and that means America is a rival.

On Syria we could have acted directly on Assad post 'red line' but who in America wanted to put boots on the ground sans the hawks? Everyone yells DO SOMETHING but no one wants to put skin in the game.

We've acted through proxies (those moderates!) and the proxies blew up in our faces, again. Is America prepared to take Assad out ourselves and shore up that nation too?
If you want to go that route, it's the US fault for getting into WWII after an attack on our naval base unprovoked. We should have taken it up the *** and gone our way. It's also the Pilgrims fault for surviving long enough to colonize America, so might as well blame them for 395 years of human history.

While we are at it, might as well blame the Big Bang for starting this ***up.

As long as Obama get's a free pass, that's all that matters, right?

Decouple your frothing rage a second, will ya? Might want to look at my argument. You know, that it *is* Bush's fault that we're now dealing with the post-Iraq nightmare. You could pour blame on Obama for not handling Syria early on but again, did the American people want that ground invasion?

I didn't say that Obama was without fault. But continue to throw a temper tantrum that consequences don't end where terms do.
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still blaming Pol Pot for my slow internet speeds !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-30 13:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still blaming Pol Pot for my slow internet speeds !
This guy?

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-30 13:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

palladin9479 said: »
What I want to know is what fossil fuels were they burning in -340,000 and -125,000 BC. Was there some sort of advanced technic race that burned fossil fuels and contributed to some sort of globally created CO2 greenhouse effect.
Dinosaurs, how else do you think they went extinct?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-30 13:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Decouple your frothing rage a second, will ya? Might want to look at my argument. You know, that is *is* Bush's fault that we're now dealing with the post-Iraq nightmare. You could pour blame on Obama for not handling Syria early on but again, did the American people want that ground invasion?
I don't blame Obama for the invasion and occupation of Iraq, but I do blame him for leaving our toys there for others to play with.

Remember, the soldiers were still there on day 1 of his presidency....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, what did we 'take up the ***' in 2003 again that led to the invasion of Iraq? Cause I'm pretty sure it was Al Qaeda behind the 9/11 attacks and they were in Afghanistan.

But lets continue this round of partisan chess.
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So to summarize pilgrims like to take it up that *** while riding dinosaurs !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-30 13:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's such a random guy to blame for slow internet speeds. Very random. I'm trying to make the connection somehow, lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
That's such a random guy to blame for slow internet speeds. Very random. I'm trying to make the connection somehow, lol.

It's cause feels that's why !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Decouple your frothing rage a second, will ya? Might want to look at my argument. You know, that is *is* Bush's fault that we're now dealing with the post-Iraq nightmare. You could pour blame on Obama for not handling Syria early on but again, did the American people want that ground invasion?
I don't blame Obama for the invasion and occupation of Iraq, but I do blame him for leaving our toys there for others to play with.

You mean the toys the military decided to leave behind to save money? Or do you mean the toys we gave moderates to fight Assad with that fell into the hands of jihadists through defection and combat?

Further, captured stockpiles from the Iraqi army also fell into ISIS' hands. What were we supposed to do again? Leave the security forces we trained unarmed?
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is Mr. McFeely anyways ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-30 13:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Or do you mean the toys we gave moderates to fight Assad with that fell into the hands of jihadists through defection and combat?
That would fall under Obama and his Saudi buddies.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I found him !:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Or do you mean the toys we gave moderates to fight Assad with that fell into the hands of jihadists through defection and combat?
That would fall under Obama and his Saudi buddies.

Correct. As per the 'we must depose Assad' course of action.

My question is what was the correct play here? Put American boots on the ground or just ignore Assad? Hawks were screaming we need to ARM ALL THE REBELS and the pacifists we're screaming NOT IRAQ II: INSURGENT BOOGALOO.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-30 13:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean the toys the military decided to leave behind to save money? Or do you mean the toys we gave moderates to fight Assad with that fell into the hands of jihadists through defection and combat?

Further, captured stockpiles from the Iraqi army also fell into ISIS' hands. What were we supposed to do again? Leave the security forces we trained unarmed?
So, you are still trying to deflect blame from Obama?

I mean, we could have, you know, trained the Iraqi army to defend themselves instead of saying "Here you go, here's the instruction manual, we are counting on you, good luck" like Obama did.

You know, starting a job and finishing it instead of doing a half-assed work. And look where it got us now.

But I'm sure your boy in the WH is completely not at fault for it in your mind...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-30 13:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My question is what was the correct play here?
Sell arms to Assad so the country wouldn't have gone into civil war.

Nope, Obama tried to play some BS morality card by arming jihadists instead.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

He must have watched that movie with Nic Cage "Lord of War"
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-30 13:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

He must have watched that movie with Nic Cage "Lord of War"
Awesome movie btw.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, we could have, you know, trained the Iraqi army to defend themselves instead of saying "Here you go, here's the instruction manual, we are counting on you, good luck" like Obama did.

You know, starting a job and finishing it instead of doing a half-assed work. And look where it got us now.

But I'm sure your boy in the WH is completely not at fault for it in your mind...

I already said Obama has blame to burden but you're deflecting.

Stay how longer in Iraq? We were already approaching diminishing returns on money spent there and no amount of shoring up a castle made of sand was going to stop the divides present in the country. The tides crept in.

Sunnis were being disenfranchised and the Shia gummint didn't give a ***. Iraqi soldiers aren't loyal to a nation, they're regional factionists and it showed when IS rolled in and kicked *** with gusto. Dropped their weapons and fled for their lives until the Americans came back in to avoid a complete embarrassment.

But yes, I'll accept your bizzare answer that we should have just taught them better as if the guys over there training soldiers were just phoning in the whole thing. The reality was we had to pull out and predictably Iraq went to ***shortly after.

Tell me accountant, how much more time? You're familiar with a cost/benefit analysis.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-03-30 13:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, we did. Once again you are in an area where you don't know anything. We fully trained the Iraqi Army, armed them with the weapons they needed to defend themselves, and when ISIS marched into a heavily defended town on foot, instead of manning their positions and gunning them down with absolute ease, the Iraqi Army ran away. Thus ISIS was born. Had the Iraqis not been utter cowards, ISIS would have never have grown to what they are now.
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame the Persians they started all of this !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My question is what was the correct play here?
Sell arms to Assad so the country wouldn't have gone into civil war.

Nope, Obama tried to play some BS morality card by arming jihadists instead.

And make Putin look good? Ha.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-30 13:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay how longer in Iraq? We were already approaching diminishing returns on money spent there and no amount of shoring up a castle made of sand was going to stop the divides present in the country. The tides crept in.

Sunnis were being disenfranchised and the Shia gummint didn't give a ***. Iraqi soldiers aren't loyal to a nation, they're regional factionists and it showed when IS rolled in and kicked *** with gusto. Dropped their weapons and fled for their lives until the Americans came back in to avoid a complete embarrassment.

But yes, I'll accept your bizzare answer that we should have just taught them better as if the guys over there training soldiers were just phoning in the whole thing. The reality was we had to pull out and predictably Iraq went to ***shortly after.
I agree that we should not have gone there in the first place, but it's better to make one mistake and see it all the way through than to make the same mistake and half-*** it, which creates a multitude of other mistakes.

Iraq occupation - Bush's fault.
Iraq withdrawal and leaving weapons there - Obama's fault.

Tell me accountant, how much more time? You're familiar with a cost/benefit analysis.

Hell, if I was in charge, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place. I would have embargo Iraq like we did with Iran if I believed there were WMD there.
By fonewear 2015-03-30 13:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have dropped a H bomb on them. But apparently that isn't nice !

I mean they are gong to kill each other whether we intervene or not.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that we should not have gone there in the first place, but it's better to make one mistake and see it all the way through than to make the same mistake and half-*** it, which creates a multitude of other mistakes.

Hell, if I was in charge, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place. I would have embargo Iraq like we did with Iran if I believed there were WMD there.

Again I ask: When would have been appropriate to leave? You cannot reinforce the Iraqi army forever and there is no way we're changing the fundamental divides in the country.

You're saying we should have 'finished the job' but how do you go about that without arming the Iraqis? You know, the same stockpiles ISIS rolled up once the Iraqis quit the fight?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-30 13:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to criticize Obama, criticize the weak policy on dealing with IS. It's your strongest card.

Rather than play in the shadows, we've got a real wellspring of legitimate 'evil' here. There's a time for cloak and dagger and then there is a time for spearheading a 'real' coalition of forces to vaporize these peeps before they get dug in.

But again, we run the risk of being bogged down in a protracted conflict neither Europe nor the United States wants. Putin is persona non grata and any Israeli assistance would be tenuous at this point when Bibi is essentially hostile to the administration.

Meanwhile China takes a bath in money and laughs as the leading empire slowly exhausts itself across the globe.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-03-30 13:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You are close but you aren't there yet. The early withdrawal is easily and entirely blamed on former Iraqi President al-Maliki. He demanded that all US personnel be placed under the jurisdiction of Iraqi laws and would be subject to Iraqi prosecution. This was never going to happen, ever. No US President would ever agree to those terms, some say that al-Maliki knew that and used it to his advantage to get us out of there. Well, look how that worked out for him, Mosul fell and ISIS was born, and al-Maliki is out. And all of the weapons that we left in the safe hands of the Iraqi army was abandoned by those cowards in Mosul.