Dev Tracker - news, discussions
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 201 202 203
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-07-23 06:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN has "Ready?" Darn it, why didn't anyone tell me?!
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-07-23 07:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
All good stuff. The change to the Heat Capacitor and the Flame Holder are very welcome. Automatons need some serious boosts to damage output to come even remotely close to a Beastmaster's pets. They are certainly more durable but their damage is lacking. Replicator's shadows becoming ninja shadows and not Blink ones is very welcome.

It seems that the final cap for Job Point categories is going to be 20. 30 would have been serious overkill.
Yet I'm surprised.
Didn't Flame Holder and Ice Maker give straight damage% increase, and not attack/mab?

Comparing the situation between BST and PUP, it's quite obvious the damage output of PUP is ridiculously low.
I can see the following:
  • BST can more easily sacrifice pets than PUP can, given the timers. In a situation where you don't need to keep enmity constantly on the pet, BST has an advantage (altough Automaton will hardly die to begin with, so we could probably call them even?)

• Thanks to the 100JP gift and the higher tier attachments Automatons can specialize in many things, they just can't do it all at the same time. "A bit of everything" is something that may work well on easy target, but on stuff that matters it's not possible to find an acceptable compromise. If you go all out on attack you're gonna lack accuracy. If you want to put some defense on your DPS pet, it's gonna cost you some damage. If you want your Sharpshoot to specialize in ranged damage/speed, it's gonna cost you the ability to do damage/getTPfaster from melee attacks as well.

• PUP doesn't have powerful weapons with pet stats that they can dualwield like BST can. There are some nice pet-focused weapons but nothing stellar and it's just one at a time.

• Automatons cannot "ready" their special moves as fast as a BST currently can.

• In some configurations there's gonna be a contrast between the maneuvers you want to keep up (to boost attachments) and the WSs that's gonna get used by the automaton

• Overdrive and Heady Artifice are nice, but they're no Unleash.

• The mage puppet, other than for solo purposes, is kinda useless atm. Slow casting nukes, their damage ain't that great even with full magic-focused builds on the master, too much MP is wasted for them, cannot cast low tiers and using ADD to refresh mp every time is not always viable and, quite frankly, is annoying.

My PUP is nothing stellar, but it's not utter ***either (200ish JPs, average gear, all attachments). Despite that and despite using Shiro food, having Pet acc/att rolls and Torpor on the target, I still was at ~80ish hit rate on Vidmapire, and my damage was like around 12%. Another gimp BSTs (gimper than my PUP is) was around 20 without even using food. A very good BST was over 60% damage.

Granted that my gear isn't stellar, but that difference is bigger than it should, imho.
Not sure how Avatars would place in such a scenario, but they play kinda different. I feel PUP and BST are closer in terms of approach/playstyle.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 07:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Status / Combat skills / Magic skills

But not weapon skills, the one category that really needs it.

And look, more pet job love. Because apparently that is what we need more of at this point.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-23 07:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

PUPs are getting some boosts. They are far from the issue when it comes to pet jobs, and are still generally considered to be one of the weaker jobs in the game. Why shouldn't they have some work done on them? SE needs to get off their *** and address every other job that's been kicked to the curb, but at least they're doing some work.
By Ruaumoko 2015-07-23 07:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

And look, more pet job love. Because apparently that is what we need more of at this point.
It's most likely intentional. This game is hemorrhaging players so the focus will naturally move towards jobs more inclined for solo or lowman activity, such as pet jobs.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-07-23 07:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I expect the cap will come off of weaponskills (or it'll get raised significantly) in November.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-07-23 07:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Before the Empyrean unlock and the multiple WS rehauls we've seen I would've 101% agreed with you, but today?
Very few of the merit WSs are still unskippable.

While I wouldn't mind them raising the cap (and I think they should), within nowaday's game balance it's way less relevant than it was, say, 1 year ago, when it represented quite a big issue imho.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 07:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
PUPs are getting some boosts. They are far from the issue when it comes to pet jobs, and are still generally considered to be one of the weaker jobs in the game. Why shouldn't they have some work done on them? SE needs to get off their *** and address every other job that's been kicked to the curb, but at least they're doing some work.

It just gets tiresome that every job update thread is primarily BLU/BST/PUP/SMN.

As someone who is regularly replaced on his main job by a mule because, "hey, it's so easy to replace and you have more useful jobs to the group," I get kind of tired of it. ^^;
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 07:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

Before the Empyrean unlock and the multiple WS rehauls we've seen I would've 101% agreed with you, but today?
Very few of the merit WSs are still unskippable.

While I wouldn't mind them raising the cap (and I think they should), within nowaday's game balance it's way less relevant than it was, say, 1 year ago, when it represented quite a big issue imho.

Which is another reason to raise it, as what will it hurt?

It's not about being "unskippable", it's about feeling complete on the jobs you really enjoy.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-07-23 07:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

More often than not it's a matter of aesthetics than "complete".
Not that you'd find me disagreeing with that sentiment, but it's hardly a matter of additional options or better performance, aside those few mentioned WSs which are still very relevant.

But in the end the point you're making, about the fact that it wouldn't hurt anyone to raise the cap, is very valid and I agree with it.

Thing is, this point was pretty much valid 1 year ago as well, and the fact SE still didn't change it leads me to think they probably have a different perspective on this topic compared to the players'.
I doubt they're doing that with the purpose of hurting us or on a whim.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 08:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

More often than not it's a matter of aesthetics than "complete".

The jobs I play regularly (and we'll define "regularly" as "having upgraded AF3 to 119 and I've done an event on the in the past two months):

- Corsair
- Samurai
- Ranger
- Warrior
- Rune Fencer
- Paladin

If we're talking about having complete utility, I need:

Requiescat - paladin, corsair, rune fencer
Ruinator - warrior, rune fencer*
Last Stand - ranger, corsair
Resolution - warrior, rune fencer, paladin*
Upheaval - warrior, rune fencer*
Tachi: Shoha - samurai
Stardiver - samurai, warrior*
Realmrazer - paladin*
Apex Arrow - samurai*, ranger*
Exenterator - corsair*
* = not necessary, but nice to have for complete utility

Now, the last three there are clearly "luxuries" in that they're there for full SC options and not just damage output. You could argue that Shoha is that way too, but given samurai's big thing is skillchaining, I consider it vital.

As it stands right now I have a constantly-rotating mishmash of keeping most of those between 1 and 4 merits (Last Stand stays 5/5 because corsair).

I doubt they're doing that with the purpose of hurting us or on a whim.

Couldn't remember the last time the devs truly had their fingers on the pulse of the player base.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-23 08:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It just gets tiresome that every job update thread is primarily BLU/BST/PUP/SMN.

As someone who is regularly replaced on his main job by a mule because, "hey, it's so easy to replace and you have more useful jobs to the group," I get kind of tired of it. ^^;

That I can definitely understand. I don't know why they're so hesitant to address such large disparities between jobs that aren't pets. Looking at the difference between WAR/DRK/DRG to SAM is startling, as is basically any 1hand DD to BLU and BST.

Couldn't remember the last time the devs truly had their fingers on the pulse of the player base.

Truer words have never been spoken.
 Asura.Lucidreams
By Asura.Lucidreams 2015-07-23 08:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

*Sigh* Maybe next time WAR. Maybe next time..
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-07-23 08:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lucidreams said: »
I'm sure the DRKs and CORs are waiting as eagerly as you.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-23 08:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, COR at least provides a support role in addition to damage. We're not the strongest DDs from the 1hand camp right now, although a good COR is still damn strong, but we do help in more ways than that, particularly with the popularity of pet setups these days. WAR is just...***.
By geigei 2015-07-23 08:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is just OP, those with skills and gear, sadly most have no clue how to play their job.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-07-23 08:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have three jobs I play. Beastmaster, Puppetmaster and Corsair. I almost never get to play Corsair :(.

That being said, Corsair is pimp as hell. Leaden Salute, IMHO, is one of the best weaponskills in the entire game so long as whatever you are fighting doesn't resist dark. I can go /mage and never run out of mp with just Evokers pretty much. I can go /dnc and build tp from shooting, quickdraw and tacticians and manage to do okay with support while never getting hit.

If any buffing job HONESTLY needs help, it's bard. Which sounds crazy, but it isn't. Mp isn't really an issue, so ballad is kinda meh. Otherwise, they can raise stats a bit for mages... and what else? Melee isn't as popular anymore, so march isn't as effective. And if you need the haste, Geo can do it. Geo and Cor can directly and effectively buff literally everything. AND DO GOOD DAMAGE. Bard can't. Not safely anyway. And my obvious bias comes out here, but Bard does nothing for pet jobs.

I'm not saying that Bard is crap, it clearly isn't. I am saying that I feel it's the weakest of the buffing jobs.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-07-23 09:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey look at that, once again Warrior doesn't exist. Lets buff Summoner!
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 10:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
COR is just OP, those with skills and gear, sadly most have no clue how to play their job.

Corsair can do more than most people give credit for, but it is far from overpowered.

The bigger issue for me is how readily it's main function can be performed by spending 45 seconds in window every six minutes.
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-23 11:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Corsair can do more than most people give credit for, but it is far from overpowered.

The bigger issue for me is how readily it's main function can be performed by spending 45 seconds in window every six minutes.

There are two kinds of fights in this game: those where leaden is good and you never run out of things to do on cor and those where you bring a mule to put up rolls before you start and then give them the boot. Whereas I used to enjoy meleeing on cor and I had the versatility to use other ws when leaden was bad, we don't use melee strats anymore and cor is not my go-to shooting job because JR is ridiculously OP.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-23 11:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »

If Summoner gets buffed with Beastmaster abilities, I won't complain.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-07-23 12:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of the problem I have with Cor is interrupting SCs or MBs, it's why I've changed my mind from "Cor is ridiculously overpowered" to "Cor is really really good". There just isn't much room for more than 1 person WSing in a PT currently in my opinion unless you want to hold TP to 3000.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-07-23 12:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP has had the most numerous buffs of any job in the game over the last three years, with the least results. Because S-E is giving PUP the wrong buffs. We don't want more useless buffs for the sake of giving buffs.

Auto survivability was the major issue 5 years ago in Abyssea. It's not the major issue now. What PUP actually needs is much stronger automaton weaponskills, maybe 3-4x their current strength, or to be able to apply a unique/potent/useful debuff to mobs. BST and SMN both have their niche:

-SMN can do massive damage with the mob properly debuffed, but infrequently, and offers unique buffs to party
-BST can do massive damage with Ready moves on debuffed mobs

PUP still doesn't have a niche. There's no fight where a PUP strategy is of any significant or unique benefit.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-23 12:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I can go /dnc and build tp from shooting, quickdraw and tacticians and manage to do okay with support while never getting hit.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-07-23 14:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
SMN has "Ready?" Darn it, why didn't anyone tell me?!

They fixed it

Quote:
Summoner

Avatar's Favor recast delay will be shortened.
By Chyula 2015-07-23 21:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Asura.Lucidreams said: »
I'm sure the DRKs and CORs are waiting as eagerly as you.

Wait in line, SAM haven't get any buff since forever.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-23 22:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM doesn't need buffs. It's the strongest 2h DD at the moment and has not yet been left completely behind in content. It's completely fine where it is.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-24 07:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Asura.Failaras said: »

If Summoner gets buffed with Beastmaster abilities, I won't complain.

Quote:
Summoner

Avatar's Favor recast delay will be shortened.

Just had to burst my bubble, didn't you SE??!!
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-07-24 08:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I can go /dnc and build tp from shooting, quickdraw and tacticians and manage to do okay with support while never getting hit.

I should have clarified that I only do that when I CAN'T melee for part of an event, but can for the rest. Marjami Delve is a good example.
 Shiva.Kingmancat
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-07-24 08:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The chart on the link to the August thread here say they are making it so equipsets save to the server with macros. Its about time!
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 201 202 203