First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 201 202 203
 Asura.Avallon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-27 12:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Asura.Avallon said: »
You have WAR and not SMN. I have SMN and not WAR. Are either of us better than each other? No, and I've never implied such a thing ever, nor do I care if one or the other job pulls ahead with specific content.

Actually... I play
WAR/DRK/BLU/RUN/RDM for Omen depending on our setup and who wants cards on what. My GEO is also on standby to be used if our normal GEO's want to come on something else. I'm also preping my RNG to be used as a backup in case our normal RNG can't attend. Our exact setup varies dramatically between the different NM's and we try to be as inclusive as possible. I need cards on multiple jobs, as does everyone else in our group, so we rotate stuff around.

Omen NM's are designed to be fought using different strategies, it's actually a lot of fun if a group does this. There is definitely a design problem with a T3 mini-boss is harder then all the Mega Boss's unless you bring a bunch of SMN's to ignore it's mechanics.

Yep, uh huh, and I too have multiple jobs I can bring to Omen. My point was you called out SMN for "cheesing" certain NM mechanics. This is no different than previous Ambuscades where SMN sucked but the key factor in beating Vol 1 Intense VD was using a little something called Tomahawk, or Mighty Guard/CDC and so on.

We can even use this month as an example. Is it cheesing to use 1-3 PUPs for Vol 1? I personally don't think so but I'm not bitching because I don't play PUP. In fact I look for specific people to play that role due to my confidence in them.

Every job has a "cheese" button as you phrase it and it's all called into service at different times for different reasons and for different NM's.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-27 13:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, now we know why you disapprove of this fix.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
Server: Fenrir
user: SathQuetz
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-27 13:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

There's like at least 3-4 good ways with varied job comps to do Ambu 1 this month that involve 0 PUPs. This is from someone who likes to pet job as much as possible.

There's stubborn and then there is willfully obtuse, guess which one you're being.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2017-01-27 13:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ASPID REBORN!
By clearlyamule 2017-01-27 13:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade is also a bad example because you can do either volume and adjust difficulty it just effects the rate by a very small amount compared to what Omen does. And it's not a gate to something else. It's not like you have beat intense on VD just to get access to boss drops

This is a completely random wall to the actually just getting to the end of this event which you'd want different setups for and will limit the cards you can farm not to mention this whole event effectively penalizes you for not going on the job you need cards on. It's not like ambuscade said ok if you come on the jobs that can't equip this months gear you get 1/10th the points
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-01-27 14:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Avallon said:
The fact of the matter is there was nothing wrong with how the Thinker functioned prior to SE nerfing the NM. It just required more strategic game play aside from wipes still happening on occasion.

If a few unlucky multi-attacks can wipe a group and waste time, then it's reasonable to say that there is an issue with its current functionality.

I was forced to switch to Sword / Shield when fighting Thinker because one of my attack's alone can randomly do ~6K which is enough to wipe anyone even in max DT gear. If I proc a multi-attack, which I do 74% of the time, between the time the NM readies the move on the server and the time I get the packet saying it is, then it's practically guaranteed to wipe us. And Jesus help us if anyone hits their WS macro during that period. So instead I use Sword/Board so that my auto-attacks only deal 800~1K each, which is survivable in DT gear, and only use Savage Blade when the NM is using a move that's not Pain Sync. At low HP I end up turning for a single attack round then turning my back to see if it's going to do a TP move. Having to deal with it's TP spam under 30%, which is primeval brew level regain, slows the fight down to a crawl.

So yeah something had to be done to make the fight a little less luck based and more skill orientated.

Now let the haters roll forward...
Forgive me for the mostly pointless post, but I feel the need nitpick to say... I could live through that. <,<

btw, does anyone know what dmg type pain sync is? I had assumed physical, but in retrospect I don't actually have solid evidence for that.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-01-27 14:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
does anyone know what dmg type pain sync is? I had assumed physical, but in retrospect I don't actually have solid evidence for that.
It's either magical or breath. Tartarus Platemail can absorb it.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-27 14:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Avallon said:
The fact of the matter is there was nothing wrong with how the Thinker functioned prior to SE nerfing the NM. It just required more strategic game play aside from wipes still happening on occasion.

If a few unlucky multi-attacks can wipe a group and waste time, then it's reasonable to say that there is an issue with its current functionality.

I was forced to switch to Sword / Shield when fighting Thinker because one of my attack's alone can randomly do ~6K which is enough to wipe anyone even in max DT gear. If I proc a multi-attack, which I do 74% of the time, between the time the NM readies the move on the server and the time I get the packet saying it is, then it's practically guaranteed to wipe us. And Jesus help us if anyone hits their WS macro during that period. So instead I use Sword/Board so that my auto-attacks only deal 800~1K each, which is survivable in DT gear, and only use Savage Blade when the NM is using a move that's not Pain Sync. At low HP I end up turning for a single attack round then turning my back to see if it's going to do a TP move. Having to deal with it's TP spam under 30%, which is primeval brew level regain, slows the fight down to a crawl.

So yeah something had to be done to make the fight a little less luck based and more skill orientated.

Now let the haters roll forward...
Forgive me for the mostly pointless post, but I feel the need nitpick to say... I could live through that. <,<

btw, does anyone know what dmg type pain sync is? I had assumed physical, but in retrospect I don't actually have solid evidence for that.

Breath damage? Not 100%. (EDIT: Llew beat me to it)

Either way, Scherzo, Earthen Armor and Migawari mitigate it substantially.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-27 14:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

orgive me for the mostly pointless post, but I feel the need nitpick to say... I could live through that. <,<

You'd be pressed because it's non-elemental Breath damage and not Physical or Magic so your Burtang and Aegis doesn't do anything for you. I have a 50% DT set that's literally 50% Damage Reduction. It enables me to survive Pain Syncs that normally flatten others but if I'm using a Rag and it procs with my usual DA, then there is no way in hell I'm living through that. That's why I switched to Reiko + Blurred +1, Auto-attacks, while still powerful, aren't enough to instantly wipe everyone nearby and I can save TP for Savage Blade when it's doing a TP move that's not Pain Sync.

What was really unfair was that this NM punish's you for having good gear. It's not hard fighting unlocked and turning during PS, but due to server lag you would often get a single attack round off before you could turn. This NM would punish you for that. And at under 30% HP it's spamming TP moves without any player interaction at all. I've sat there holding it while turned around and the moment it's TP animation for one move was done it was doing another TP move, making it extremely difficult to get TP and WS without risking wiping everyone. Gear idea in concept but not executed very well. The 40% reduction and not in sequence are sufficient to fix this NM so that people can beat it with strategy and it not becoming a giant time sink.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-01-27 15:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'd still live. Through the 6k that is. Much higher, or a DA proc and I'd be right screwed.

6k dmg, -50% DT = 3k. PLD/BLU with 3.3K HP, Still alive. Could also pop a cure 6 from my alt for cureskikin before it fired...

btw, how was it determined that it was non elemental?

Disclaimer. I'm not saying pain sync mechanics weren't a problem. I'm just nitpicking a specific statement that I felt wasn't accurate.
 Fenrir.Snaps
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-01-27 15:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually am wondering if it's dark based because of some results while using BST plant tank (not hard data though so speculative.)
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2017-01-27 15:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not Dark, Lux wards do nothing. Other elements could be tested, but I'm lazy and forgetful.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-27 15:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Because our RUN tank has tried them all with valiance and none of them reduced it's damage. Once time we thought it was dark cause he used Liement and got healed from the attack, but we couldn't reproduce it (He's got an Epo) and we later determined it to be an absorb damage proc off his armor.

So no elemental reduction works on it and the only way to reduce it seems to be BDT or DT. Conclusion is non-elemental breath damage. Shell does nothing for it so it's not pure Magic though I suspect things like Tartarus that state "magic" actually works on breath too.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2017-01-27 15:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect things like Tartarus that state "magic" actually works on breath too.
Englufer's Cape/+1, Warder's Charm/+1, and likely Tartatus as well can absorb breath damage (but they don't stack). Shadow Ring doesn't apply, however.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-01-27 15:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Because our RUN tank has tried them all with valiance and none of them reduced it's damage. Once time we thought it was dark cause he used Liement and got healed from the attack, but we couldn't reproduce it (He's got an Epo) and we later determined it to be an absorb damage proc off his armor.

So no elemental reduction works on it and the only way to reduce it seems to be BDT or DT. Conclusion is non-elemental breath damage. Shell does nothing for it so it's not pure Magic though I suspect things like Tartarus that state "magic" actually works on breath too.
Nice. Thank you.

I suspect that Rampart would likely reduce it as well. Again, it says magic, but I know for a fact it reduces the damage from incinerate, the breath attack used by Erucas. So that could bring the dmg down a bit too.

I'm aware that the real method to deal with this is to not dmg it during Pain Sync, but I have fun thinking of ways to survive it anyway.

On that note, does RUN SP work? The boundary between breath and magic damage gets kinda blurry sometimes. Like on Absorbs Magic gear, as mentioned.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-27 16:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

We've never tried using RUN's SP on that, would probably work cause I seem to remember not taking breath damage while it's up.

Yeah Breath and Magic damage types seem to be a bit mixed sometimes and when non-elemental gets tossed in the results can be wonky. This is why I've gone to using pure DT gear instead of combinations of PDT/MDT.
By clearlyamule 2017-01-27 17:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice. Thank you.

I suspect that Rampart would likely reduce it as well. Again, it says magic, but I know for a fact it reduces the damage from incinerate, the breath attack used by Erucas. So that could bring the dmg down a bit too.

I'm aware that the real method to deal with this is to not dmg it during Pain Sync, but I have fun thinking of ways to survive it anyway.

On that note, does RUN SP work? The boundary between breath and magic damage gets kinda blurry sometimes. Like on Absorbs Magic gear, as mentioned.
Along with that Fealty sometimes works on large non-element attacks so maybe?
By Ruaumoko 2017-01-27 17:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it doesn't.

If a WS goes off during Pain Sync your only chance of surviving it is to have your Carmine Cuisses +1 locked and to run like hell.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-27 17:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Our tank has spoken, RUN SP doesn't work for PS.
By Ruaumoko 2017-01-27 18:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't work on Unfaltering Bravado, Dancing Fullers or Zero Hour either.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2017-01-27 19:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
I personally don't think so but I'm not bitching because I don't play PUP. In fact I look for specific people to play that role due to my confidence in them.

Cerberus calls ***.
 Odin.Psycooo
Server: Odin
user: Psycooo
By Odin.Psycooo 2017-01-27 19:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Will this turn out to be a buff to enfeebling geomancy (indi-paralyze, indi-slow, indi-poison etc) or will it turn out to be a nerf to other geomancy spells?

None of the above. They are adding duration timers to the Geomancy spells and a way to know when an Indi-debuff has worn off. They put a comma between those entries and there is even Bard songs in between the enfeebling part and the geomancy part.
Duration to indi-colures was added in the January patch.
I'm not sure we have to take their morpho-syntax as absolute truth, there's not always 100% correspondance to what they announce, HOW they announce it, and what it really turns out to be in the end after the patch is out =/

The way that sentence is worded out, it's about "enfeebles". I read it as enfeebling spells, enfeebling songs and enfeebling geomancy.
Furthermore, if it was just another adjustment to timers, they would've listed it as a QoL change to UI and stuff, not in a sentence where they're talking about adjustments to a specific category of spells which, to me, sounds like something else.

But then again as I said before, I think everything they say in small announcements like this has always to be taken with tongs, imho.
From SE forums
Camate;590414 said:
Thanks for all the feedback on this.

The development team is currently looking into overall adjustments to enfeebling magic as well as enhancing magic, and this also includes the stats that monsters possess. The team is in the midst of testing, so once there is some follow-up information we’ll be sure to share.
By fillerbunny9 2017-01-27 20:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bamboom said: »
No more dial campaigns huh... Might be time to cancel the mule army

where did they say that? I've not seen it anywhere in the last few pages
By Bamboom 2017-01-27 22:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry just meant that it's been a few months since the last one. Might just activate and reactivate mules as campaign info is provided
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2017-01-27 23:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bamboom said: »
Sorry just meant that it's been a few months since the last one. Might just activate and reactivate mules as campaign info is provided
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Repeat_Login_Campaign#Current_Campaign_-_January_2017_-_Repeat_Login_Campaign_No._43
Those campaigns? Thats going on right now.
By Bamboom 2017-01-27 23:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Not those the dial ones where u get stuff from gobby dials
 Asura.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Asura.Clinpachi 2017-01-27 23:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

He's talking about the extra dial. I got an assload of abjurations and stuff like nibiru cudgel during that. I'd love to see that come around again.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2017-01-28 00:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely skipped over "dial" lol
 Ragnarok.Inx
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-01-28 13:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Glad Thinker is getting nerfed purely on the principle that its a lame, annoying fight that's all about NOT doing certain things, as opposed to actually forming a strategy to defeat the enemy.

Really not a fan of that sort of negative encounter design, its just not fun - particularly when its employed as a random-encounter mid boss.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jumeya
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2017-01-28 15:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

A better adjustment to maintain the level of needing to pay attention while balancing difficulty would have simply been to put an initial threshold that does not get reflected (A few thousand?) or change it to ignore white damage. This would make melee setups more viable due to latency people are reporting to have.
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 201 202 203