Apple Aims For Electric Car Production By 2020

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Apple Aims for Electric Car Production by 2020
Apple Aims for Electric Car Production by 2020
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-22 19:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Until they make a vehicle that runs on electricity and can go over a thousand miles between charges, then I'll buy one.

Instead, I'll just take my Nitro when I want to invade America on my yearly trip.

That doesn't make much sense, how many cars can go 1000 miles without needing to refuel?

They'd be a great change for inner city vehicles. Heck I live 20~ minutes away from work, and I still only fill up about once every two weeks. Now for a long trip, if you didn't want to take the time even for the fast recharge (assuming there's a station near you anyway) then yeah I can see it, but for a daily short-medium driver they'd be more than enough.
Ok then, 400 miles, and that's how much my Nitro can go on long trips before hitting the "E"
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I guess people want to pay 40k for electric cars. Even if I had the money I would pass.

If it's a good quality car, it's not that much more than a current good quality one.

I mean no it won't be as cheap as a Ford/Kia POS, but damn.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-22 19:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't it make more sense to just drive a hybrid they are about the same price and best of both worlds.

Call me skeptical I just don't see electric cars being relevant (widely driven) for quite a while.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-22 19:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Until they make a vehicle that runs on electricity and can go over a thousand miles between charges, then I'll buy one.

Instead, I'll just take my Nitro when I want to invade America on my yearly trip.
How would a car ever get to 1,000 miles if it can't start at 100, or 200, or 300?

I didn't post this topic because I think you all should buy one.
I only said 1k miles because that's the longest I can drive in a day, and I would hate to have to go up to a charging station and wait for 30+ minutes just to get charged to full...
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-22 19:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I prefer an iPhone over Android. They are actually better quality than most phones.

That being said, I don't go out and buy the latest/greatest iPhone. I went from a iPhone 3 to iPhone 5s, and I will probably keep this 5s until it wears out in a couple more years, then I'll buy the latest iPhone that's around.
My sister just got a 6, my parents both have a 4, and I have a 4s put away somewhere. If your phone is just your phone, a communication device, iPhones are fine, but I use my phone not only to communicate but also to research stuff, read, moderate, plan stuff out, shop, etc.

Pokemon is a good example despite being off-topic here. I basically decide on builds and look up a good build on Smogon and screenshot it. Android is better suited to my needs.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That doesn't make much sense, how many cars can go 1000 miles without needing to refuel?

They'd be a great change for inner city vehicles. Heck I live 20~ minutes away from work, and I still only fill up about once every two weeks. Now for a long trip, if you didn't want to take the time even for the fast recharge (assuming there's a station near you anyway) then yeah I can see it, but for a daily short-medium driver they'd be more than enough.
Ok then, 400 miles, and that's how much my Nitro can go on long trips before hitting the "E"
Not too bad for that oversized Dodge pos.

But they already are nearing 300 miles on a charge, give it time.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 19:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't it make more sense to just drive a hybrid they are about the same price and best of both worlds.
If companies didn't go full on electric, without any reliance on gasoline, then it wouldn't ever happen.

Apple isn't the only company planning to make electric cars in the next 5 years, as the article says. Companies are making a push for electric, because if they don't who will? and when? How long would it be until a company releases their own electric car if they didn't start now?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-22 19:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
To be honest, I prefer an iPhone over Android. They are actually better quality than most phones.

That being said, I don't go out and buy the latest/greatest iPhone. I went from a iPhone 3 to iPhone 5s, and I will probably keep this 5s until it wears out in a couple more years, then I'll buy the latest iPhone that's around.
My sister just got a 6, my parents both have a 4, and I have a 4s put away somewhere. If your phone is just your phone, a communication device, iPhones are fine, but I use my phone not only to communicate but also to research stuff, read, moderate, plan stuff out, shop, etc.

Pokemon is a good example despite being off-topic here. I basically decide on builds and look up a good build on Smogon and screenshot it. Android is better suited to my needs.
I use my phone to talk/text/check emails and play Clash of Clans every so often. I also listen to my music (probably what is used the most) while at work.

I had a Samsung who would skip/delete songs while I was listening to it, and that phone would be dead after only 6 hours of usage, which sucks for me.

I have used my iPhone for 11+ hours of work and still never hit below 40% at the end of the day.
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2015-02-22 19:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I only had to fill up every couple weeks or so. At the moment I have to fill up every week if not twice. Average around 80 miles every day that I work.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

How would a car ever get to 1,000 miles if it can't start at 100, or 200, or 300?

I didn't post this topic because I think you all should buy one.
I only said 1k miles because that's the longest I can drive in a day, and I would hate to have to go up to a charging station and wait for 30+ minutes just to get charged to full...
It looks like it takes a bit over an hour to do a full charge, but a half an hour will get you going again. Enough for a piss, a snack and a quick walk to stretch out the legs.

These probably aren't the best for the constant commuters yet.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-22 19:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not too bad for that oversized Dodge pos.

But they already are nearing 300 miles on a charge, give it time.
Wow, talk about extreme hatred for whatever you don't use.

We get that you don't like Chrysler-Dodge products, we get that you don't like iPhones, you don't have to call them POSs, they are actually good products, much better than Fords and Samsungs.

Although, to be honest, I rather have a Toyota Corolla, but this Nitro was a gift from my father and I'm a cheap *** mofo. I only buy things after they break down to the point that it's not worth fixing.
By fonewear 2015-02-22 19:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness said: »
I wish I only had to fill up every couple weeks or so. At the moment I have to fill up every week if not twice. Average around 80 miles every day that I work.

80 miles you live in Timbuktu !
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-22 19:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, this is a lot to ask for. Dodge's Dart II Aero gets an estimated 41 MPG highway (2013-2014) and has a 13.2 Gallon fuel capacity which means it has a range of roughly 541.2 miles between fill-ups unless my math is wrong which it usually is.

EDIT: I never liked anything Mopar except Jeeps until I saw a Dodge Challenger in jazz blue. *mouth waters*
By fonewear 2015-02-22 19:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 2015 instead of electric cars we should have flying cars.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Call me skeptical I just don't see electric cars being relevant (widely driven) for quite a while.

Not until the prices drop, but also at the same time it depends on how long the gas stays down, when it's back to $4+ or more a gallon, they will be looking quite tempting.

I just wonder when we'll start to travel in tubes.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 19:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, this is a lot to ask for. Dodge's Dart II Aero gets an estimated 41 MPG highway (2013-2014) and has a 13.2 Gallon fuel capacity which means it has a range of roughly 541.2 miles between fill-ups unless my math is wrong which it usually is.

EDIT: I never liked anything Mopar except Jeeps until I saw a Dodge Challenger in jazz blue. *mouth waters*
Quick search result shows that someone drove it 506 miles on one tank of gas.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-22 19:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The only fuel I need, is what I put into my iBody.

It requires iFood purchased at the convenience store, local supermarket, or garden.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, talk about extreme hatred for whatever you don't use.

We get that you don't like Chrysler-Dodge products, we get that you don't like iPhones, you don't have to call them POSs, they are actually good products, much better than Fords and Samsungs.

Although, to be honest, I rather have a Toyota Corolla, but this Nitro was a gift from my father and I'm a cheap *** mofo. I only buy things after they break down to the point that it's not worth fixing.

lol, no.

Has nothing to do with what I do or don't use, short of I don't use shitty products. As for vehicles: I stay away from American cars in general.

Toyota are solid though.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 2015 instead of electric cars we should have flying cars.
qft
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-22 19:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick search result shows that someone drove it 506 miles on one tank of gas.
That's probably more realistic. 41 MPG is an estimated/advertised mileage rating, I don't think they are exact. I've also seen the Dart II tagged as 36 MPG highway.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sad, I've been looking at mid 2000's midsized SUVs to replace my car with, and I am having trouble even getting close to my MPG rating, and my car is 20+ years old...

Not even the rated amount, but what I've been getting, which has been 24~ish.

edit: at least I don't have to drive that Ford Expedition I rented the other week, pos was getting 12mpg...
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-22 19:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sad, I've been looking at mid 2000's midsized SUVs to replace my car with, and I am having trouble even getting close to my MPG rating, and my car is 20+ years old...

My sister had an 86 Yugo that she once drove from Tulsa to Marshall, AR then drove around sightseeing all weekend and back to Tulsa on one tank. That car was insane...but she wrecked it, breaking her nose and slamming 3-year-old me against the windshield. I assume that's what is wrong with me. :)
By Jetackuu 2015-02-22 19:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

My sister had an 86 Yugo that she once drove from Tulsa to Marshall, AR then drove around sightseeing all weekend and back to Tulsa on one tank. That car was insane...but she wrecked it, breaking her nose and slamming 3-year-old me against the windshield. I assume that's what is wrong with me. :)
and people wonder why they mandated safety restraints...

but no, I doubt that's all that is "wrong with you."

:D
 Bahamut.Jezard
Server: Bahamut
user: Dre
By Bahamut.Jezard 2015-02-22 20:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt apple is actually make a car. Its just them drawing a bunch of stuff on napkins and getting patents for the future with no intention of pursing and then suing any company that actually produced the tech.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-24 18:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-02-24 19:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Does FOXCONN even have an auto plant and if so have they put the anti-suicide net up yet?
[+]
 Leviathan.Klue
Server: Leviathan
user: klue
By Leviathan.Klue 2015-02-24 20:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take a nice BMW for 40k instead of a Apple car...

you can't get a nice bmw for 40k... i have a 'meh' 328i xdrive sport line with some options and it is 52k
 Leviathan.Klue
Server: Leviathan
user: klue
By Leviathan.Klue 2015-02-24 20:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Apple should stick to what it is good at selling phones to hipsters and wannabe hipsters.

They don't even seem like a computer company anymore.
Apple may not innovate or invent anything, but their presence and name helps the competition try to "be better" than them, which only accelerates technology further.

I'm not an apple hater. I'll probably never own one of their products, but I think we'd be worse off without them.
The only thing it accelerates is shitty designs, we can do without that.

i'm not an apple fan either but with that statement you have to be either trolling or are an idiot... Apple is driving technology, design, and user interfaces all at the same time by causing other manufactures to think out of the box and improve on their designs.

before iPhone came along the coolest phone was the RAZR and that flip phone design had remained the same for a good 10 years...

before Apple OS came around DOS and commmand line ruled the world...

before ipod came around you had CD/minidisc players and clunky mp3 players that were unusable and ultra expensive...

Apple TV came before Roku other players....

should i go on??
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-02-24 20:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Klue said: »
i'm not an apple fan either but with that statement you have to be either trolling or are an idiot... Apple is driving technology, design, and user interfaces all at the same time by causing other manufactures to think out of the box and improve on their designs.

before iPhone came along the coolest phone was the RAZR and that flip phone design had remained the same for a good 10 years...

before ipod came around you had CD/minidisc players and clunky mp3 players that were unusable and ultra expensive...

should i go on??

Do you have any examples of things Apple actually innovated? All of these things are perfect examples of things that Apple stole ideas for and then heavily patented so no one else could use them for years.

If their history is anything, Apple may end up large in this field but it won't be due to innovation or new tech like Tesla's bringing, it will be through huge lawsuits and by throwing money everywhere until the stockholders blood-rage wears off.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-24 21:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Klue said: »
Apple should stick to what it is good at selling phones to hipsters and wannabe hipsters.

They don't even seem like a computer company anymore.
Apple may not innovate or invent anything, but their presence and name helps the competition try to "be better" than them, which only accelerates technology further.

I'm not an apple hater. I'll probably never own one of their products, but I think we'd be worse off without them.
The only thing it accelerates is shitty designs, we can do without that.

should i go on??
lolwhat?

I'll admit they are driving technology, right into the toilet. The apple designs are ***.

The phone thing just isn't even true, stop believing hype.

again: wrong and hype, apple did not have the first gui.

Of course things predate the digital media player, but the rest of that line is purely subjective, so you're entitled to that opinion.

The last line is just a joke, while it did come before Roku streaming media devices have existed years before the Apple TV.

Drop your fanboyism and actually do some research.