New Model Of Addiction And Recovery

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » New Model of Addiction and Recovery
New Model of Addiction and Recovery
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-24 22:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
masturbating 16 hours a day and basically destroying the skin of your genitals is not what I'd call "healthy sexual interest

What if this wasn't destroying the skin on your genitals though!

Sorry couldn't resist.

There's far too many things humans try to explain and do a piss poor job at doing.
 Asura.Jezzus
Server: Asura
user: L30x
By Asura.Jezzus 2015-01-24 22:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

All those questions can be asked about my eating.

And that's an inherent problem we have right now in sorting out cause and effect with obesity: are people addicted to food? It's pretty common to talk about a carbohydrate addiction, if only because it's basically the easiest food macro (other than alcohol -- yes, a poison based on carbohydrate is considered a macro-nutrient, *** if I know why) to eliminate, but is it really?

Getting past the obvious need to eat, it's still a habitual thing, such as sharing food when socializing. I know some people who only smoke tobacco when socializing (me, for instance), ditto people alcohol (also me). Do I control food? My waistline says no, but I can't live without some, so where do we draw the line? Hindrance is another one. I'm probably in better health than most people in spite of being overweight and, indeed, would not have as much muscle mass if I didn't feed the calories into it.

Yes eating is identified as a major addiction with some people. Also the additives in food now are not doing it justice. Whether being chemically addictive, psychologically addictive(taste good), unhealthy, or what ever..

Clearly one can live without caffeine or cocaine, but one can live without Twinkies and asparagus, too. Even things that are predominantly healthy to eat, like broccoli, come with serious caveats sometimes (goiter). Before we exclude food and try to limit addiction to just substances and maybe gambling, there is documentation proving people are addicted to sex (masturbating 16 hours a day and basically destroying the skin of your genitals is not what I'd call "healthy sexual interest") and, like food, it's not reasonable to suggest one can live without sex, regardless of what religious dogma may claim.

Are video games or working out in the gym addictions? They can stimulate the reward center of the brain and we've heard stories about people taking both too far (steroid users effectively destroying their body being just one aspect of the latter), but the jury remains undecided.

Even a really simple definition like "Something that disrupts your life" doesn't work. A nurse working 70 hours a week is having his life disrupted by his job but it's surely not an addiction, even if he draws considerable pleasure from his work.

It's a problem.

Even charity can become a problem without moderation.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2015-01-24 22:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
This is not to say the article you linked is wrong. I believe it right as one marker in a spectrum
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-24 22:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
There are several hooks.
Yeah, I have lots of reservations about assuming there's only one factor. Alcoholism appears to run in families... but so does poverty (generational poverty if someone feels like wiki'ing that). And yet there's actually a negative correlation between alcoholism and poverty in spite of public perception. Tracking what people do and how things work is remarkably difficult even though our brains can largely be characterized as a trillion-line series of "if-then" commands.

Even if we assume that social isolation/alienation is not the singular defining factor, in my experience, it's a rather huge one. No one is surprised to see depression, anxiety, and several other mood conditions or disorders linked with addiction behavior, but I think psychologists and researchers bend over backwards (possibly due to the whips of their paymasters) to avoid suggesting that one causes the other. I'd almost swear I've seen people trying to suggest that they don't exacerbate one another and that, I can say with surety, would be utter nonsense.

In my experience with people who have troubles and addiction problems, when isolation isn't clearly the concern, alienation eventually rears its head. I speak to enough friends who can be coaxed into admitting they're depressed and whose drinking or pot habits I've observed to be fairly frequent (not going to claim addiction since, as established, we have no clue what to call addiction), but you'd never guess it to look at their circumstances. Sometimes it's something really obvious, like their favorite aunt just died, sometimes it's obvious after the fact, like when they finally come out of the closet. I have family members who had serious problems with alcohol that suddenly went away after meeting their future spouse and all I can wonder is, "Will you ever tell us what the problem was?"

I suppose I latch onto this hypothesis just because I'm prone to isolation, alienation, and depression. I worry something could flip. But I'm an unhelpful test subject because my brain is literally wired differently and being alone doesn't have the same effect on me as normal people. Maybe that could be a help: examine high-functioning autists, people who deliberately isolate (and are often alienated for being socially atypical), and consider our addiction habits.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-01-24 23:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I clicked on this thread expecting to see pictures of models. I am disappoint.

Someone better pony up a picture of Kate Upton or something.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-25 00:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I considered acceding to your perversion by attaching someone I find attractive, but then it occurred to me that I'd rather not associate someone whose job it is to look pretty arbitrarily with addiction problems. And I'm all out of copies of Zero-G Jugs, so tough.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2015-01-25 00:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »

Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-25 00:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »

[+]