Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close
Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close
First Page 2 ... 23 24 25
By Blazed1979 2015-01-15 15:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What percentage of terror attacks in the United States and Europe are committed by Muslims? Guess. Nope. Guess again. And again...
“Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.” How many times have you heard that one? Sure, we heard Fox News’s Brian Kilmeade say it, but to me, that was simply part of the Fox News plan to make their viewers dumber, as we saw again this past weekend when its terrorism “expert” Steve Emerson was caught fabricating the story that Birmingham, England, is closed to non-Muslims. But more alarmingly, even some reasonable people have uttered this statement.

And that comment is often followed up by the question: Why don’t we see Christian, Buddhist, or Jewish terrorists?

Obviously, there are people who sincerely view themselves as Muslims who have committed horrible acts in the name of Islam. We Muslims can make the case that their actions are not based on any part of the faith but on their own political agenda. But they are Muslims, no denying that.

However, and this will probably shock many, so you might want to take a breath: Overwhelmingly, those who have committed terrorist attacks in the United States and Europe aren’t Muslims. Let’s give that a moment to sink in.

Now, it’s not your fault if you aren’t aware of that fact. You can blame the media. (Yes, Sarah Palin and I actually agree on one thing: The mainstream media sucks.)

So here are some statistics for those interested. Let’s start with Europe. Want to guess what percent of the terrorist attacks there were committed by Muslims over the past five years? Wrong. That is, unless you said less than 2 percent.

As Europol, the European Union’s law-enforcement agency, noted in its report released last year, the vast majority of terror attacks in Europe were perpetrated by separatist groups. For example, in 2013, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs.

Or what about the (dare I mention them) Jewish terrorists? Per the 2013 State Department’s report on terrorism, there were 399 acts of terror committed by Israeli settlers.
We are talking about groups like France’s FLNC, which advocates an independent nation for the island of Corsica. In December 2013, FLNC terrorists carried out simultaneous rocket attacks against police stations in two French cities. And in Greece in late 2013, the left-wing Militant Popular Revolutionary Forces shot and killed two members of the right-wing political party Golden Dawn. While over in Italy, the anarchist group FAI engaged in numerous terror attacks including sending a bomb to a journalist. And the list goes on and on.

Have you heard of these incidents? Probably not. But if Muslims had committed them do you think you our media would’ve covered it? No need to answer, that’s a rhetorical question.

Even after one of the worst terror attacks ever in Europe in 2011, when Anders Breivik slaughtered 77 people in Norway to further his anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, and pro-“Christian Europe” agenda as he stated in his manifesto, how much press did we see in the United States? Yes, it was covered, but not the way we see when a Muslim terrorist is involved. Plus we didn’t see terrorism experts fill the cable news sphere asking how we can stop future Christian terrorists. In fact, even the suggestion that Breivik was a “Christian terrorist” was met with outrage by many, including Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly.

Have you heard about the Buddhist terrorists? Well, extremist Buddhists have killed many Muslim civilians in Burma, and just a few months ago in Sri Lanka, some went on a violent rampage burning down Muslim homes and businesses and slaughtering four Muslims.

Or what about the (dare I mention them) Jewish terrorists? Per the 2013 State Department’s report on terrorism, there were 399 acts of terror committed by Israeli settlers in what are known as “price tag” attacks. These Jewish terrorists attacked Palestinian civilians causing physical injuries to 93 of them and also vandalized scores of mosques and Christian churches.

Back in the United States, the percentage of terror attacks committed by Muslims is almost as miniscule as in Europe. An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims. In actuality, 42 percent of terror attacks were carried out by Latino-related groups, followed by 24 percent perpetrated by extreme left-wing actors.

And as a 2014 study by University of North Carolina found, since the 9/11 attacks, Muslim-linked terrorism has claimed the lives of 37 Americans. In that same time period, more than 190,000 Americans were murdered (PDF).

In fact in 2013, it was actually more likely Americans would be killed by a toddler than a terrorist. In that year, three Americans were killed in the Boston Marathon bombing. How many people did toddlers kill in 2013? Five, all by accidentally shooting a gun.

But our media simply do not cover the non-Muslim terror attacks with same gusto. Why? It’s a business decision. Stories about scary “others” play better. It’s a story that can simply be framed as good versus evil with Americans being the good guy and the brown Muslim as the bad.

Honestly, when is the last time we heard the media refer to those who attack abortion clinics as “Christian terrorists,” even though these attacks occur at one of every five reproductive health-care facilities? That doesn’t sell as well. After all we are a so-called Christian nation, so that would require us to look at the enemy within our country, and that makes many uncomfortable. Or worse, it makes them change the channel.

That’s the same reason we don’t see many stories about how to reduce the 30 Americans killed each day by gun violence or the three women per day killed by domestic violence. But the media will have on expert after expert discussing how can we stop these scary brown Muslims from killing any more Americans despite the fact you actually have a better chance of being killed by a refrigerator falling on you.

Look, this article is not going to change the media’s business model. But what I hope it does is cause some to realize that not all terrorists are Muslims. In fact, they are actually a very small percent of those that are. Now, I’m not saying to ignore the dangers posed by Islamic radicals. I’m just saying look out for those refrigerators.

Source
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 15:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That source failed to mention that Brian Kilmeade almost immediately followed up trying to clarify what he meant.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 16:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Brian Kilmeade also understands that the main stream media sucks for different reasons than why Sarah Palin thinks it sucks.

Then again, the only main stream news source he provides, is that of Fox News.

Then again, the coverage of Anders Breivik was pretty substantial across all media outlets for weeks.

And still, all he can list is "Fox News", like it has some kind of credibility.

Again, there is also a huge difference between inciting terror (hell, to do so doesn't even require mass murder, but the intent to spread fear and terror), yet compares it to toddlers shooting a gun.

Of course, he also opines the phrase "brown Muslims", despite there being many nationalities that fall under this description.

The entire opinion piece is riddled with things that wouldn't even count as journalism in it's basest form, let alone "Infotainment", as is apparently reported by the big, bad, main stream media, according to him.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 16:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus, your article is cherry picking data.

"For example, in 2013, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs."

"Or what about the (dare I mention them) Jewish terrorists? Per the 2013 State Department’s report on terrorism, there were 399 acts of terror committed by Israeli settlers."

It stated that a very small percentage of terror attacks were committed by Muslims in a "religiously motivated" attack (and ignore any other attacks committed by Muslims that may or may not have been "religiously motivated"), while lumping all attacks committed by Jewish people as one.

Seriously, your article needs work, badly. But this article is catered to the weak minded emotional people, not those who think logically and can read between the lines.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-16 04:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It matters not if the statistics, like the other religious attacks are clumped together.
The point is that the media hypes up Muslim association and fear, with terror attacks.
Which is obviously to gain public support for the current agendas in the Middle East over the last decade.
They wouldn't want us banging on about the failure to find WoMD as a main reason for Iraq now would they.
It's a justification for reasonable people who are easily mislead. Because they are passionately patriotic (which is a good thing)
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-16 04:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well said charloo and blazed and Bloodrose. I think we all can agree that main stream media sucks. That is the whole reason I made my topic because you will never see mainstream media talk about positive change. Change that unites people not divide. Change that reports all true news both bad and good. It's all repeating the same message over and over. George W Bush said this.

" in my line of work truth needs to be repeated over and over until it sinks in".

I think lieing to a nation is a serious capital crime which is treason. Thank you blazed excellent post. I'm telling everyone this is a fight for our minds For our freedoms and religions.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-16 05:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever I hear about terrorist attacks in the media, I think back to the 'incoming attack warning thermometer' they cooked up to scare people.
Blue-Yellow-orange-red.
It's like saying get read for an attack.
Now get more ready.
Now get even more ready it's coming.
And your attention is then drawn away from other things. And you look to the very same people to protect you.
It's easy to see how it's used as public manipulation.
And it worked, it understandably scared a lot of people. And as we all know, fear can paralyse logic. And forces compromise that can't be achieved otherwise. Hi to you patriot act.
This is probably why I'm so sceptic of any media coverage. And gave birth to my need to investigate any big story properly, from every side.
In that respect the internet is one of the best things we have for truth.
Yes there are some untruths but through research and elimination and a little work, truths can be found.
There's a limit to how many coincidences one story can have before I get suspicious.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-16 05:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Terrorists, and terrorism, is not a statistically significant threat. Regardless of the concepts or belief of those commit such acts.

If you picked almost any other cause of death, and threw the anti-terrorism funding at it, you would probably see better benefits.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-16 05:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure most/all EU countries have an independent minority that went through/is still going through terrorism in order to achieve their independence.

That's some "everyday" terrorism that only makes headlines in the related country at best and happened as much if not more than "Muslim terrorism".

But anyway, any journalist can find those information, unless all journalists outside EU/other regions hit by terrorism are made of the same cloth as Fox News journalists. Those retards explained that France had "no go zones" where "only Muslims were allowed to go" and other HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE stuff. No wonder that people are ignorant as *** on the other side of the Atlantic when this kind of stuff happens.
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 05:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Terrorists, and terrorism, is not a statistically significant threat. Regardless of the concepts or belief of those commit such acts.

If you picked almost any other cause of death, and threw the anti-terrorism funding at it, you would probably see better benefits.

Milibar, comparing Apples to Apples - Terrorists to Terrorists, is the point of the article.

edited my initial response as it read a bit too combative, even for me.
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 05:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

I'm glad you brought that up. It is pretty comical. "No-go-Zones" and Rupert Murdoch's "All Muslims must be held responsible" has been the most entertaining comedy this week. Almost as funny as how many people actually believe this drivel.

Here's a video for you, but be warned!
I cannot gaurantee you won't be stupid after watching this drivel.
"No-Go-Zones" (@ Minute 5 and 20 seconds on the timeline, just gets ridiculously stupid rofl)
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-16 05:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So this thread has convinced me there needs to be a lot more terrorism
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-01-16 05:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

This article is immoral imo.

I dont see a point in comparing terrorists attack from each side. What does the author wants to conclude? That extremist islam should be less attacked because, it has less numbers of attacks than other kinds of terrorisms?

Cmon, this is too much shameless. Innocents are killed everyday just because a small group of criminals wants power and the author criticizes... The media???

About the number of muslim terrorism attacks are significantly lesser than other, lets just leave at this: muslim countries have controlled press. So go figure, how many muslim attacks done by their own people, as shiites loves to kills their own kind, like sunites, even though muslim shouldnt ever kill their own people, that actually pass to ocident?

Before attacking our media, occident should attack the lack of freedom of expression in muslim countries. If you still prefer making muslim extremists as "victims" of a biased press, youre not but shameless.

But lets close with this, as the author seems to have some "symphaty" to muslim terrorist. I didnt see this commented in ffxiah, as all attentions were focused in charlie hebdo, but this one makes kouachi brothers no more than kids fighting in street.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/satellite-images-reveal-devastation-boko-haram-massacre-nigeria
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-16 05:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The media is a collection of terrorists themselves if say 6 people from your area of the globe were to kill 12 americans they would spread enough stupidity to have 99% of america believing your country is nothing but terrorists
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 05:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
This article is immoral imo.

I dont see a point in comparing terrorists attack from each side. What does the author wants to conclude? That extremist islam should be less attacked because, it has less numbers of attacks than other kinds of terrorisms?

Cmon, this is too much shameless. Innocents are killed everyday just because a small group of criminals wants power and the author criticizes... The media???

About the number of muslim terrorism attacks are significantly lesser than other, lets just leave at this: muslim countries have controlled press. So go figure, how many muslim attacks done by their own people, as shiites loves to kills their own kind, like sunites, even though muslim shouldnt ever kill their own people, that actually pass to ocident?

Before attacking our media, occident should attack the lack of freedom of expression in muslim countries. If you still prefer making muslim extremists as "victims" of a biased press, youre not but shameless.

But lets close with this, as the author seems to have some "symphaty" to muslim terrorist. I didnt see this commented in ffxiah, as all attentions were focused in charlie hebdo, but this one makes kouachi brothers no more than kids fighting in street.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/satellite-images-reveal-devastation-boko-haram-massacre-nigeria

There's no justification in the article for terrorism. It is a critique of the media.
By Pantafernando 2015-01-16 05:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

There's no justification in the article for terrorism. It is a critique of the media.

Thats why its a shameless articles.

In case the author had forgotten, media has the right of being free to choose what they want to discuss.

If someone attack this right, hes indirectly attacking our own freedom.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-16 06:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe the truth should be reported and truth shouldn't really be left up to interpretation
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 06:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats why its a shameless articles.

In case the author had forgotten, media has the right of being free to choose what they want to discuss.

If someone attack this right, hes indirectly attacking our own freedom.

Critiquing and reflection are progressive tools for improvement. The author's right to critique the media is not important or seen as an attack and not an example of freedom of speech, but the media's right to bate, insult and alienate as well as fear monger is ok?

Why don't you let me know what you're REALLY thinking, or should I say "Feeling".

Also, people keep using Freedom of Speech when I think they really mean "Freedom to insult" and "Freedom to provoke" and "freedom to lie".

Can you not see on a fundamental level how the media must be held to a certain standard of accountability and truthfulness in their reporting?

I'm not going to give you hypotheticals. You should have enough creativity to think of some scenarios where that could go horribly wrong. If you do not by any chance posses that creativity, you could always just read up on history. Start by asking yourself how a single party lead by Hitler managed to radicalize an entire nation.

Unless of course, some of you think the Germans are inherently and intrinsically evil. In which case I have nothing to say to you.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-01-16 06:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
I believe the truth should be reported and truth shouldn't really be left up to interpretation

Personally i disagree. No press can be totally impartial. If it try claimming being impartial, just relating fact without the background, it will leave very few room for discussion and lot of room for ignorance.

Nowaday, i like to read article where the author is very clear in his position. There is no secret. You knows what the author wants to talk. If you want to have the truth, you should read both side, and have your own conclusion. Thats the called duscussion. Just discussing one can actually understand whats going on, and not to be naive about all background those incidents have.
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 06:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally i disagree. No press can be totally impartial. If it try claimming being impartial, just relating fact without the background, it will leave very few room for discussion and lot of room for ignorance.

Nowaday, i like to read article where the author is very clear in his position. There is no secret. You knows what the author wants to talk. If you want to have the truth, you should read both side, and have your own conclusion. Thats the called duscussion. Just discussing one can actually understand whats going on, and not to be naive about all background those incidents have.

Edit: Don't read my posts in a condescending tone. They're not meant to be. I just have horrible communication skills by these forum standards and culture, and am often misunderstood.

The press can be impartial. The fact that you think they can't is possible evidence that you have come of age in the past 10 years and are very young; thus you can't remember a time when the news reports were all factual, and less opinion.

Your second point about how you like to read articles assumes a certain level of understanding of the facts. We are all free to discern and interpret things how we will, but we should have an even playing field and be in positions to make educated decisions.
That's what I am saying.
By charlo999 2015-01-16 06:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure I'm all for freedom to make an interpretation.
But if you do, let's call it interpretation of news, and confirm your side.
Instead of 'news'
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-01-16 06:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, people keep using Freedom of Speech when I think they really mean "Freedom to insult" and "Freedom to provoke" and "freedom to lie".

Can you not see on a fundamental level how the media must be held to a certain standard of accountability and truthfulness in their reporting?

For a short answer, freedom of speech can and most likely will result in insults, provokes and lies.

But insults, provokes and lies are just possible because of freedom. Freedom is an absolute value. If someone is feeling insulted, there are mechanisms where the insulted can use to repair. Youre free to insult, but the one insulted is free to defend himself.

Its like a strict vision of freedom, i dont believe in partials. If you want freedom, you need to accept the good and evil side of that. There is no way to have a half freedom. A half freedom isnt but an entire lie.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-16 06:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

I'm glad you brought that up. It is pretty comical. "No-go-Zones" and Rupert Murdoch's "All Muslims must be held responsible" has been the most entertaining comedy this week. Almost as funny as how many people actually believe this drivel.

Here's a video for you, but be warned!
I cannot gaurantee you won't be stupid after watching this drivel.
"No-Go-Zones" (@ Minute 5 and 20 seconds on the timeline, just gets ridiculously stupid rofl)
YouTube Video Placeholder
My Muslim friend actually brought this up to me when I woke up yesterday and it was indeed pretty funny.

At first I thought it was a joke, but it seems that Fox News doesn't joke.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-16 06:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you misinterpreted my post a bit I'm not against people reporting their opinions on ***it's when they pass on those opinions as fact that pisses me off and in the end that type of journalism should be criminal again my personal belief and I know im *** in the head so I don't expect people to share it
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 07:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
It matters not if the statistics, like the other religious attacks are clumped together.
It is if the only argument the author is providing uses bad methodology and cherry-picking arguments to prove his opinion.

Let me give you an example of what this author did:

In a batch of cookies provided by a bakery, only 2 of the 12 cookies have some sort of tree nut in it. However, in a recent study, all cookies with tree nuts in it are known to kill people who are allergic to tree nuts. Because of that study, I can prove that the bakery is trying to kill their customers and should be shut down!

That is what this article is portraying. Only weak-minded people would think that this article is saying that Muslims are innocent and the only 2 attacks to ever occur for "religious reasons" were flukes and the media is over hyping and lying to the people about it.

Yes, we get it, not every terrorist attack is religious related, however, every attack related to ISIS is religious related because those attacks were done to spread ISIS's law around, which is Islam (a religion).
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 07:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Downplaying Muslim terrorists in light of things like IS and governments that are basically terrorist supporters.

The IRA is a terrorist organization. In my opinion many (not all, but many) "civillian militias" in the U.S. are terrorist organizations. There are all kinds of religious and non-religious terrorist groups worldwide.

Bad people are bad people and need to be stopped.

As horrible as the attacks in France are, there's far, far worse done on a daily basis that people don't get outraged enough about because it happens in "less important" places to them. I know for me going to news websites anymore is an exercise in anger management because of all the absolutely horrific things you read. This week in Nigeria there was a bomb strapped to a little girl and they put her in a marketplace where she and many others were killed.

What kind of sick *** does that? I'm pretty sure there isn't a single religion out there that condones that. What the *** is going on in your brain chemistry that says that's an okay thing to do? How can they even pretend it's about religion? Yet this was done by Boko Haram, a radical Muslim terrorist group.

Ugh. I don't even know where I'm going with this post anymore outside of "terrorism bad", but don't *** pretend there aren't plenty of Muslim terrorists. There are plenty of NON-Muslim terrorists as well, but it seems like you're going out of your way to prove they're somehow "not as bad" or "less of a threat" than the world thinks.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-16 07:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno where your line of thinking is going with this but everyone else is talking about the media pushing its agenda and portraying it as news.

Also don't get me starts on ISIS. But that a whole different thread.

Also no one here is downplaying or hyping any terrorist organisation, apart from the media.
 leo
By leo 2015-01-16 07:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI, again: (ongoing)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/16/world/france-gunman/index.html
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 07:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The media is a lost cause, especially televised media. Don't watch their ***and pity those who do and take them seriously.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-16 07:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of maybes, might, could dos. Ending with a theory 120 others ready to strike. Scare time.
This is the sort of media that pisses me of, especially when it gets transferred to newspapers.
The big bold headlines will say something like 'Muslim terrorist holds hostages at gunpoint. With other cells ready to strike'
Then in small print tell you it's only a theory.
But not all people read small print or just see headlines as they pass.
First Page 2 ... 23 24 25