First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-03 16:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
GTA 5 "Violence Against Women" Criticisms Spurs Ban by Australian Retailer
[UPDATE] Take-Two CEO says company is "disappointed" by Target Australia's decision to remove the game from sale.

[UPDATE] Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has released a statement regarding GTA V's ban from Target Australia. You can see his full statement below.

"We are disappointed that an Australian retailer has chosen no longer to sell Grand Theft Auto V--a title that has won extraordinary critical acclaim and has been enjoyed by tens of millions of consumers around the world. Grand Theft Auto V explores mature themes and content similar to those found in many other popular and groundbreaking entertainment properties. Interactive entertainment is today's most compelling art form and shares the same creative freedom as books, television, and movies. I stand behind our products, the people who create them, and the consumers who play them."

The original story is below.

Target Australia announced Wednesday that it will stop selling Grand Theft Auto V in its stores due to feedback from consumers about the game's "depictions of violence against women."

In a public statement, Target corporate affairs manager Jim Cooper said the company reached the decision following "extensive community and customer concern about the game."

Cooper said Target Australia has been in communication with "many" customers in recent days about GTA V's content. "There is a significant level of concern about the game's content," he said.

At the same time, Cooper said shoppers have spoken out to say Target Australia should continue to sell the game. "We respect their perspective on the issue," Cooper said. "However, we feel the decision to stop selling GTA V is in line with the majority view of our customers."

GTA V carries an R18 rating in Australia. Other R-rated DVDs and games will continue to be sold at Target Australia. Cooper explained why GTA V is being singled out with the following statement:

"While these products often contain imagery that some customers find offensive, in the vast majority of cases, we believe they are appropriate products for us to sell to adult customers," he said. "However, in the case of GTA V, we have listened to the strong feedback from customers that this is not a product they want us to sell."

Cooper did not call out any specific GTA V scenes that spurred his company to remove the game from sale in the country. The game has been available for purchase in Australia since September 2013, though a new version of the game for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 was released less than a month ago.

We've followed up with Target's North American team to see if this decision will impact the game's availability in the United States.

Today's decision comes after an Australian Change.org petition called on Target to block GTA V from sale in Australia, citing concerns about the game's violence.

"Please Target, we appeal to you as women survivors of violence, including women who experienced violence in the sex industry, to immediately withdraw Grand Theft Auto V from sale," reads a line from the campaign, which has attracted more than 40,000 signatures to date.

For now, the GTA V ban in Australia is limited to Target Australia. We have reached out to GTA V parent publisher Take-Two Interactive for comment.

Concerns regarding the violent nature of Grand Theft Auto games are nothing new. Most recently, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick responded to a mainstream media reporter who asked if it was true that GTA V players can have sex with a prostitute and then kill her.

Zelnick's response was that GTA V is a work of art--and it may not always be pretty. "This is a criminal setting; it's a gritty underworld; it is art," he said. "And I embrace that art. And it's beautiful art. But it is gritty."

Source

YouTube Video Placeholder
By volkom 2014-12-03 16:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

doesn't this happen every time a new GTA game comes out?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-12-03 16:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Violence against women? What about the thousands of guys you shoot throughout the story? You kill more men than women in the game
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-12-03 16:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The Australians always do this crap, feel bad for gamers in that country, robbed of so many great games.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-12-03 16:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Weird that Australia takes such issue with games like this, as it is an entire island of liars and criminals.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-12-03 16:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I know everyone has there own opinion towards things but I swear the average IQ of people is dropping.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-03 16:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Violence against women? What about the thousands of guys you shoot throughout the story? You kill more men than women in the game

it's not wrong till it's done to a woman or did you not get the memo?
[+]
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-03 16:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought the "no violence against women" thing came from the belief that women were weaker than men and for a man to commit violence against a woman was unfair and made the man less of a man for picking a fight with someone commonly believed to be lesser than himself.

I'm not condoning violence against a woman or anyone for that matter, but if feminists are truly the reason GTA5 was pulled from shelves, they are defeating their own purpose of equalizing males and females. I wish people would stop using the term "feminists" to describe Tumblr's female supremacists.
[+]
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-12-03 17:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
I know everyone has there own opinion towards things but I swear the average IQ of people is dropping.

I know what you mean.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-03 17:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I always thought the "no violence against women" thing came from the belief that women were weaker than men and for a man to commit violence against a woman was unfair and made the man less of a man for picking a fight with someone commonly believed to be lesser than himself.

I'm not condoning violence against a woman or anyone for that matter, but if feminists are truly the reason GTA5 was pulled from shelves, they are defeating their own purpose of equalizing males and females. I wish people would stop using the term "feminists" to describe Tumblr's female supremacists.
I think in this instance it sounds more like "We had a terrible thing happen to us and we don't want our situation used as entertainment". Not necessarily agreeing with that since it pretty much applies to 95% if anything I watch or play, but Australia's big on censorship.

Anyway, free market and all \o/
Anna Ruthven said: »
I wish people would stop using the term "feminists" to describe Tumblr's female supremacists.
Ahh, if only...
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-12-03 17:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This happens to a guy, 100% A-OK!
YouTube Video Placeholder

*Spoilers obviously*

But you can kill hookers!??! PULL THAT FILTH OFF THE SHELF

Also, above is a Storyline mission, you HAVE to do it, the hooker thing is optional, just saying
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-12-03 17:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not only do you have to torture that guy, there is an achievement for using all the tools.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-03 18:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, people got pissed about that scene too.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-12-03 18:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It did feel a little unnecessary to me
 Cerberus.Halticus
user: Halticus
By Cerberus.Halticus 2014-12-03 18:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Not only do you have to torture that guy, there is an achievement for using all the tools.
You mean there is no achievement for having sex with a hooker then dumping her body next to a dumpster?!! We need to rise up for gaming EQUALITY!!
 Quetzalcoatl.Gencay
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gencay
By Quetzalcoatl.Gencay 2014-12-03 19:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet you if there was a ton of scenes where woman beat the crud out of men then no 1 would give a cra? e.e
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-03 19:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Gencay said: »
I bet you if there was a ton of scenes where woman beat the crud out of men then no 1 would give a cra? e.e
It'd have a review from and be sponsored by Tumblr.
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2014-12-03 20:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It did feel a little unnecessary to me
It was unnecessary, but in a way I think it was also a criticism of the action the US took regarding torture. GTA criticizes everything else, I mean this may have been a bit drastic of a method, but it was one that I think had more of an impact than most would've. How better a way to show the horror of torture than to make them torture someone? It puts you in the seat of power, makes you feel responsible, and that can mean a lot more than simply telling someone torture is bad.

As for the subject at hand... it's just more of the same argument that's been made before. People like Anita Sarkeesian and her ilk are seemingly of the mindset that any violence against women means a hatred of women, even if there is a much larger amount of violence against men in the same setting. I mean in GTA5 as a whole I remember only one mission in which I had to in any way attack a woman or kill. I killed I'd say at least 500 men throughout the game as part of missions, and as previously mentioned, tortured one as well. Cherry picking doesn't begin to describe that kind of stupidity.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-12-03 20:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »

it's not wrong till it's done to a woman or did you not get the memo?

Really hate feminists. They care about nothing besides pushing their agenda.

Never mind that the entire game is based on severe violence towards all. Never mind that you can kill cops and engage in racial wars. But as SOON as women are the least bit offended, everything stops.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-03 22:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The makers/producers of GTA should make that game. Nothing but women killing and beating men. Just to piss them off.

would probably sell decently too'
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-12-03 23:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

The makers/producers of GTA should make that game. Nothing but women killing and beating men. Just to piss them off.

I agree and more for it to prove a point
 Cerberus.Halticus
user: Halticus
By Cerberus.Halticus 2014-12-03 23:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Dev team: "Women will run men over in Mini-Vans and the only 2 weapons of choice will either be a swinging purse or a can of mace"
We'll call it "Soccer Moms"
By Artemicion 2014-12-03 23:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Article said:
Australia
All I needed to see. Didn't need to read any further than that.
Though I will say that I find it insulting that entire governments are insinuating that their entire populi are unable to grasp the concept between reality and fiction and the repercussions and consequences of mistaking the two.
By Tylaar 2014-12-03 23:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
Weird that Australia takes such issue with games like this, as it is an entire island of liars and criminals.

Untrue. Our entire island population are very honest criminals.
[+]
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-12-04 00:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You kill more men in every game in video game history, I mean you kill exponentially more male characters and enemies than you directly killing female characters.
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2014-12-04 01:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »

I know what you mean.

He was busy woundering which there/their/they're to use.

(he said woundering to us on vent once.)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-04 12:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Troll petition (im hoping)

Quote:

Target Australia Must Remove All Super Mario Bros Games From Sale

Target Australia have shown that they, and their consumers, have the power to remove products from sale, especially video games, that are potentially harmful to people such as improperly-parented children and those with predisposed and medically diagnosable pathological disorders.

For years, Nintendo's Super Mario Bros series of computer games have used a colourful and friendly design and simplistic, repetitive structure to deliver a strong message of willful murder of wildlife, consumption of hallucenogenic flora and collection of income without declaration of tax.

As was the case with other drug-and-murder-simulators, like Grand Theft Auto 5, Target continues to sell these products in order to turn a profit without any thought as to the long-term effects to their consumers.

Just as with GTA5, we, the consumer, have the power to send a message to the big corporations to say that we're fed up with having to monitor what out children do, or deal with extreme cases of psychological break in adults who continue to use video games as a scapegoat.

So sign this petition, and make a difference.

Source
By fonewear 2014-12-04 12:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How many virtual people have to die before something is done ? I'm writing Congress an angry letter.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-04 12:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You idiot, men don't count.

That's our privilege!
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-12-04 12:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Troll petition (im hoping)

Quote:

Target Australia Must Remove All Super Mario Bros Games From Sale

Target Australia have shown that they, and their consumers, have the power to remove products from sale, especially video games, that are potentially harmful to people such as improperly-parented children and those with predisposed and medically diagnosable pathological disorders.

For years, Nintendo's Super Mario Bros series of computer games have used a colourful and friendly design and simplistic, repetitive structure to deliver a strong message of willful murder of wildlife, consumption of hallucenogenic flora and collection of income without declaration of tax.

As was the case with other drug-and-murder-simulators, like Grand Theft Auto 5, Target continues to sell these products in order to turn a profit without any thought as to the long-term effects to their consumers.

Just as with GTA5, we, the consumer, have the power to send a message to the big corporations to say that we're fed up with having to monitor what out children do, or deal with extreme cases of psychological break in adults who continue to use video games as a scapegoat.

So sign this petition, and make a difference.

Source

If parents are using this as a justified excuse to ban a game then they shouldn't be parents to begin with. Games like GTA5 have an age restriction on them and a game retailer won't sell it to a child so it's the parent or another adult the parent knows who has bought them the game.

Lazy parents are LAZY!
First Page 2