The US Military And Global Warming

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The US military and global warming
The US military and global warming
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-24 14:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Canadian devil was good too. So yeah only one episode that was meh so far.
By fonewear 2014-11-24 14:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

South Park is constantly good to me at least. Sure not every episode is amazing but overall it still is funny.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-24 14:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I rather watch the Cleveland Show.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-24 14:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah last season was great too, although it was really short.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-24 14:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-24 15:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Gay fish yall !
By volkom 2014-11-24 15:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

do you like fish sticks?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-24 15:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take a salmon home and work that caudal fin for hours !

RIP Coinye:

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-29 17:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

The impacts of climate change will drive violent conflicts that require the deployment of British military forces around the world, according to one of the UK’s most senior military figures.

“Climate change will require more deployment of British military in conflict prevention, conflict resolution or responding to increased humanitarian requirements due to extreme weather impacts,” said Rear Admiral Neil Morisetti.

“It is posing a risk to geopolitical security, which is a prerequisite for economic growth, good health and wellbeing for all of us.”

Morisetti warned that without sharp cuts to greenhouse gas emissions, even military action would not be able to prevent global instability.

The world’s governments have pledged to cut carbon and limit warming to 2C to prevent dangerous climate change. But emissions are continuing to rise and current trends point to 4C of warming. “We could probably secure a 2C world,” he said. “I think it most unlikely we would be able secure a 4C world.”

Morisetti said global warming was a “threat multiplier” that is undermining peace and livelihoods, not just the natural world. “This is as much about blood and treasure as it is about environment.”

“The impact resulting in the loss of land and the loss of livelihoods is increasing the stresses in a number of vulnerable countries, countries where food, health and [rising population] are challenges,” he said. “All of that is increasing the threat of instability in an already unstable world. We need to act now to manage the risk.”

Morisetti, who served in the navy for 37 years and is also a former special envoy for climate change for the foreign secretary, said the increasing floods, droughts and food shortages driven by climate change would affect the UK, even if far away, by disrupting international trade and the import of goods.

“The globalised world we live in [means] we are affected in the UK by events many thousands of miles away,” he said. “There is no magic drawbridge we can draw up and the problem goes away.”

Morisetti was speaking at public briefing for MPs in Westminster on the risks of climate change, in the wake of a recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

The landmark report, compiled by thousands of scientific experts and signed off by 194 nations, said climate change is set to inflict “severe, widespread and irreversible impacts” on people and the natural world unless carbon emissions are cut sharply and rapidly.

Global warming will also double or treble the deaths from heatwaves in the UK, said Prof David Walker, the deputy chief medical officer for England. “The potential impacts on health are very significant,” he told the meeting, organised by the thinktank Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit.

In 2003 a heatwave killed 70,000 people in Europe, including 2,000 in the UK. “Looking ahead 30 to 40 years, that will be an average summer for us,” said Walker. He said the effect of warming on reducing excess winter deaths was modest by comparison.

Walker said insect-borne diseases were a concern as the UK warmed. “We are seeing a gradual moving north of insects for some quite serious diseases like dengue fever, chikungunya virus and malaria.” He said chikungunya had now been seen in Europe and the insects that carry it had been spotted as far north as Belgium.

Walker also said increased flooding would cause mental health problems, as flood victims were two to five times more likely to suffer such illnesses. But he added that acting on climate change would bring health benefits, such as cleaner air and more exercise for people choosing to walk or cycle instead of using cars.

Another climate change impact on the UK would be on food security, said Guy Smith, vice-president of the National Farmers Union, whose own Essex farm is partly below sea level and is the driest spot in Britain.

“If there one word to describe agriculture the last 10 years it is volatility, both in weather and markets and those two things are related.”

Guy Shrubshole, at Friends of the Earth, said: “When even the military are worried about global warming, it’s time for the rest of Whitehall to wake up.”
Climate change 'will see more UK forces deployed in conflicts around world'
By Altimaomega 2014-11-29 21:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
“If there one word to describe agriculture the last 10 years it is volatility, both in weather and markets and those two things are related.”

Screw fuel prices skyrocketing and more rules and regulations that cost mass amounts of money to enforce, let alone what they costs the people that produce the food. "Will just sum it up in one word that has nothing to do with either"

This entire article is full of half truth and propaganda. I pity the people that believe it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-29 22:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, what parts do you consider half true? What would be the whole truth?
By Altimaomega 2014-11-29 22:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Out of curiosity, what parts do you consider half true? What would be the whole truth?

This is just sad. The worlds governments have the balls to say they can now "limit" warming! smh
Quote:
the world’s governments have pledged to cut carbon and limit warming to 2C to prevent dangerous climate change. But emissions are continuing to rise and current trends point to 4C of warming. “We could probably secure a 2C world,” he said. “I think it most unlikely we would be able secure a 4C world.”

Still zero proof humans and their evil CO2 have anything to do with the climate/weather.
Quote:
The landmark report, compiled by thousands of scientific experts and signed off by 194 nations, said climate change is set to inflict “severe, widespread and irreversible impacts” on people and the natural world unless carbon emissions are cut sharply and rapidly.

Because this guys farm is below sea level it should what? Get more rain? Less rain? They are really being quite vague about fear mongering now.
Quote:
Another climate change impact on the UK would be on food security, said Guy Smith, vice-president of the National Farmers Union, whose own Essex farm is partly below sea level and is the driest spot in Britain.

Just because...
Death Valley is the lowest elevation in North America at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level and is one of the Mojave Desert's more notorious places.

Those are just the easy ones... AND thats HALF the article!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-30 00:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, that was perfect.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 00:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Thanks, that was perfect.

Since you're so proud of it a few of us here on the forums chipped in a bought you a shirt.

By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 02:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Quote:

Screw fuel prices skyrocketing and more rules and regulations that cost mass amounts of money to enforce, let alone what they costs the people that produce the food. "Will just sum it up in one word that has nothing to do with either"

This entire article is full of half truth and propaganda. I pity the people that believe it.
screw health, safety and the environment, all that we should be worried about is profits...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-30 03:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:

screw health, safety and the environment, all that we should be worried about is profits...
Yeah, let's just argue against the extremes. Finding a workable middle ground is just too hard.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 03:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

When does it become excessive? When the mega corps can no longer make any money? Hell we are reaching that point now. I dunno where you live but small business is flat lining across the nation. But hey MORE LAWS MOAR! Meanwhile, the corps just layoff people to make up the profits and what small business is left suffers even more because they don't have that kind of flexibility.
Screw everyone though because jet needs to feel MORE safe and thinks he needs to be MORE environmentally concerned.

Edit: Damn you Rav! Beat me to it.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Your idea of "small business" and mine are two very different things.

But hey, let's continue to deregulate all the things...

As far as pollution is concerned, there should be no "middle ground" it should be entirely outlawed.

Unfortunately our technology doesn't allow for that, so we give some leeway, otherwise people would literally die.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Quote:

Yeah, let's just argue against the extremes. Finding a workable middle ground is just too hard.

There is a middle ground, that's the thing.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 03:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Your idea of "small business" and mine are two very different things.

But hey, let's continue to deregulate all the things...

As far as pollution is concerned, there should be no "middle ground" it should be entirely outlawed.

Unfortunately our technology doesn't allow for that, so we give some leeway, otherwise people would literally die.

Please elaborate on YOUR idea of small business. Right now your way of thinking kills small business (that pollutes less btw) and lets the mega corps (that are huge polluters) justify laying of more workers and moving onto automation (even more pollution).

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Quote:

There is a middle ground, that's the thing.

The things you post tell a different story.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

1. you have no idea what my way of thinking is.

2. small businesses get plenty of breaks, you're confused if you think otherwise, it's medium business that you're actually talking about and quite frankly, they don't need breaks anymore than the corps do.

3. automation doesn't pollute more than people, especially if it's regulated, and we should always use more automation than people.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 03:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

1. you have no idea what my way of thinking is.

2. small businesses get plenty of breaks, you're confused if you think otherwise, it's medium business that you're actually talking about and quite frankly, they don't need breaks anymore than the corps do.

3. automation doesn't pollute more than people, especially if it's regulated, and we should always use more automation than people.

Your full of $hit as always. You are HALF right about one thing though. I have a small idea about the way you think and it will remain that way because you NEVER post anything but $hit like this.

Not at all.

Continue being a vague backpedaling troll that never adds anything to a thread other than Nuh-uh and No U..
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Never, but considering you have the hardest time even understanding the most basic of science, (and reality for that matter) I never expect you to understand anything.

How are those swordchucks treating you?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 03:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You're still confused, as you think I troll, when I don't.

Keep it classy.

edit: also; backpedal: youkeepusingthatword.jpg
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 03:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Never, but considering you have the hardest time even understanding the most basic of science, (and reality for that matter) I never expect you to understand anything.

How are those swordchucks treating you?

Your fascination with my avatar still baffles me.

Just another way to troll and deflect when you got nothing else.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 04:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

troll

youkeepusingthatword.jpg

also, I enjoy it for the irony, as it escapes you.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 04:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So you gonna continue to be off topic and deflective or are you gonna actually add anything other than be your typical troll self?
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 04:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You're the one who's off topic and is actually voiding the conversation, just an fyi.

edit: do you even know what a troll is? apparently not.

edit2: but we can go back to talking about how you think that regulations are destroying "small businesses" with their evil epa regulations, because preventing destroying our enviornment is an evil conspiracy...
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 04:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You're the one who's off topic and is actually voiding the conversation, just an fyi.

edit: do you even know what a troll is? apparently not.

edit2: but we can go back to talking about how you think that regulations are destroying "small businesses" with their evil epa regulations, because preventing destroying our enviornment is an evil conspiracy...

Now we have arrived at the part you put words in my mouth.

This may as well be the wiki on jet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
OR since you like Urban Dic. so much.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
Even more guidelines jet follows.

Keep telling yourself you're not a troll and deflecting it onto me. Its cute.