Yes Means Yes!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Yes Means Yes!
Yes Means Yes!
By Jetackuu 2014-09-29 14:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Jetackuu said: »
It was merely an inquiry into the law, and well we see about where it stands. If one person can be guilty in that case due to failure to have the capacity to give consent then both parties should be guilty.
That's not what the law states though.
and it is an issue.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 14:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's nice to know that since my wife doesn't drink I have a lifetime of being repeatedly raped

Edit: can kinda see it being my fault though always.dressed like a trollop and such
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-29 14:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Get drunk, have sex, claim rape,

sue the guygirl
sue the fraternitysorority
sue the school
???
profit

You know very well a guy wont be able to pull this off. Our courts just don't work that way.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 14:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
It amazes me that you trust any person enough to *** em if they're all out for a mans wallet anyways lol...

Well, it's not just the guys. Some ladies have turned their litigious sights on deeper pockets like universities and fraternal organizations, nationally, and local by chapter.
Which if you had read my previous posts you would have noticed I mentioned all that already.

All this does is to get those entities to strongly discourage that type of behavior. Why is that a bad thing? Sometimes those places are just as guilty as they try to cover it up. Either for a star athlete or to promote an environment that doesn't really exist on the campus.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Unless you want to elaborate more in what the bill means about "incapacitated," using only the bill as a reference and cannot use outside sources to define the word.
Your words. I did just that. The law defines what is meant by incapacitated. Accept you're wrong and move on.
Obviously you have never read law before.

Laws and regulations have a definitions section if there is specific section to be defined as a specific item.

Here's a good example of one for you

{inb4 "Security Act of 1933 isn't a law" or some other weak excuse)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-29 14:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No need for a separate definitions section if you just finish reading the sentence in the bill.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
No need for a separate definitions section if you just finish reading the sentence in the bill.
Explain how one's interpretation of how another person understands anything is specific and not broad.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-29 14:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Get drunk, have sex, claim rape,

sue the guygirl
sue the fraternitysorority
sue the school
???
profit

You know very well a guy wont be able to pull this off. Our courts just don't work that way.

You mean our culture and courts are willfully ignorant and outright ignore that anyone can be raped, including strong alpha males?

yup.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 14:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
It's nice to know that since my wife doesn't drink I have a lifetime of being repeatedly raped

Edit: can kinda see it being my fault though always.dressed like a trollop and such
You wouldn't be the first person to allege their spouse raped them.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 14:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ok I like rape
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 14:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ok I like rape
You're just so cool man.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 14:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is all pretty obvious people. If someone is passed out and can't even speak they can't give consent. Why you would want to *** someone that is just laying there unconscious is beyond me anyways.

No where does it say is all it takes is a few drinks and a .08 on the breathalyzer (which you wouldn't be able to prove unless you got a cop right there anyways) that you're raping someone.
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2014-09-29 14:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Reminds me of my college days when I was the president of my fraternity. We had a freshman girl come to a party wasted and she passed out in our main floor bathtub. We had to close off that bathroom since she was in their puking, and once the party ended I let her friends sleep on our couch just outside the bathroom while she slept it off. Made sure all the doors to the house were locked too. The next day she was up and gone when I woke up. Turns out she started spreading rumors she was raped at our party and was going to sue our fraternity . . . even after I took care of her drunk a$$. Luckily, her friends put her in her place and nothing came of it. Never know what crazy drunk people will come up with, both men and women.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is all pretty obvious people. If someone is passed out and can't even speak they can't give consent. Why you would want to *** someone that is just laying there unconscious is beyond me anyways.

No where does it say is all it takes is a few drinks and a .08 on the breathalyzer (which you wouldn't be able to prove unless you got a cop right there anyways) that you're raping someone.
I agree with you with that, but then again, isn't there a consent law in place before this one that pretty much said what you just did?

If this law is the consent law, then it was worded very badly and makes it open for legal interpretation. Which is never a good thing.
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-09-29 14:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"Excuse me miss, do you consent to not being raped? No? Alrighty then!"
By Jetackuu 2014-09-29 14:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Or maybe it's about time we as a society drop the fascination with drunken college parties, and alcohol in general. I mean I'll have a drink now and again, I definitely couldn't do it on a daily basis.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 14:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ok I like rape
You're just so cool man.

Not exactly trying to be cool just adding levity to a situation involving a law that if passed will be exploited heavily by any dumbass with regret on her mind
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-29 15:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Or maybe it's about time we as a society drop the fascination with drunken college parties, and alcohol in general. I mean I'll have a drink now and again, I definitely couldn't do it on a daily basis.

It's partially a product of the puritanical culture we live in. When sex is taboo, people will gravitate to the possibility and dispense with judgement.

As much as I hate having the government in my bedroom, this law isn't particularly overreaching and seeks to more clearly define "consent". People will argue over how specific the definition is and how people will quantify it, but that's for courts to decide. The language isn't broad enough to warrant concern and not specific enough to remove court precedent.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 15:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Levity needs to be added to discussion about rape? ok...

I wonder why the automatic conclusion by some is that this is only here to be exploited against rich men and instutions and isn't even thought of in the least as somethign that would help victims of rape? Is the only victim out there the rich male?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 15:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder why the automatic conclusion by some is that this is only here to be exploited against rich men and instutions and isn't even thought of in the least as somethign that would help victims of rape? Is the only victim out there the rich male?
Who's saying that this is only against rich men?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 15:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Never said anything about rich males being targets plenty of poor ones will get *** as well.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 15:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I use your terminology instead and say wealthy person? Then only refer to woman as "rape bait"?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 15:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Humans are scum no law will ever change that
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-29 15:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

As with anything that carries possible monetary gains, rape lawsuits are more likely aimed at a rich person, and males tend to be the most common targets by a large margin. The issue is that so many victims are instantly shamed or discredited as gold diggers, etc. It would be quite nice is the victim shaming at least held off until there is at least some indication of nefarious motives. The accused being rich is just a fact, not a motivation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 15:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I use your terminology instead and say wealthy person? Then only refer to woman as "rape bait"?
That was an example, and you know it.

I'm sure that men would act the exact same way when they come across women that they can take advantage of too.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-29 15:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Never said anything about rich males being targets plenty of poor ones will get *** as well.
Says who? You've shown nowhere in the new bill that someone only has to be above the .08 limit to be unable to give consent. So tell me oh wise one... how will all the men get their wallets ***? Also, please explain to us how the monetary payments in civil court are determined and awarded to the victim since you know so much about this and understand fully how guys are only going to get crucified by this and no one benefits.

Personally I won't lose any sleep over people who get charged over raping someone.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-29 15:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Also yes levity in a rape discussion call it a coping mechanism or whatever the flavor of the month is in the psychology world
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 15:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You've shown nowhere in the new bill that someone only has to be above the .08 limit to be unable to give consent.
That's the problem though.

What is the cutoff between legal consent? Is it the legal limit of being drunk? Is it when you are passed out drunk? Is it some magic number in between?

That is the real problem with this bill....