Mass Rise In Children Crossing Into The US

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mass rise in children crossing into the US
Mass rise in children crossing into the US
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
By Fumiku 2014-06-12 13:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Immigrant Children Crossing into the US
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — As many as 1,200 children who were detained while trying to enter the U.S. illegally will be taken to Fort Sill this week as federal officials try to find their families or place them with a sponsor, federal and military officials said Monday.

The unaccompanied minors, most of them teenagers from Central America, will start arriving at Fort Sill from Arizona starting Friday, according to Fort Sill and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The children and teens are among the more than 47,000 unaccompanied minors taken into custody at the border since October.

Federal authorities plan to use a holding facility in Nogales, Arizona, as a way station where the children will be vaccinated and checked medically before being sent to Fort Sill and other housing facilities in Texas and California.

Fort Sill said it will temporarily hold between 600 and 1,200 minors in vacant housing at the Army post for up to four months, or as long as directed. DHHS’s Administration for Children and Families will be responsible for their care.

“Fort Sill will provide a vacant facility historically used by soldiers set apart from main post that offers sleeping quarters, bathing and toilet facilities, as well as multi-purpose gathering space,” Keith Pannell and Nancy Elliott, spokespeople for Fort Sill, said in a statement released Monday.

Oklahoma’s congressional delegation criticized the plan, saying military bases shouldn’t be used for such purposes.

“Using Fort Sill and other military bases to house illegal immigrants is simply an inappropriate use of military facilities,” said Republican Rep. Tom Cole, whose district includes the Army post about 85 miles southwest of Oklahoma City. “Moreover, I am concerned that what begins as an emergency measure could, over time, evolve into a permanent juvenile detention center for those who have entered the country illegally.”

The move is part of the Unaccompanied Alien Children program, which provides foster care, group homes and residential treatment centers for minors who try to cross the border without their parents or guardians. It also provides classroom education, health care, vocational training and legal services, according to DHHS’s website.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security last month started flying immigrants in the U.S. illegally to Arizona from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas after the number of immigrants — including more than 48,000 children traveling on their own — overwhelmed the Border Patrol there.

Immigrant families were flown from Texas and released in Arizona, then told to report to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office near where they were traveling within 15 days. ICE has said the immigrants were mostly families from Central America fleeing extreme poverty and violence.
By fonewear 2014-06-12 13:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Future Democrat voters
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 13:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No wonder why people are shooting at the moon now.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-12 13:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the moon already has a Starbucks on it ?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-12 13:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a lot of anuses to check for contraband.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-12 13:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
That's a lot of anuses to check for contraband.

"It's a dirty job but someone has got to do it !"
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-06-12 13:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Texas

I hate to make the comparison, but feels a little like deja vu when recalling the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
[+]
 Asura.Melbufrauma
Server: Asura
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-06-12 14:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't give them shelter and ***, just send them back across the border and be done with it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-12 14:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Texas

I hate to make the comparison, but feels a little like deja vu when recalling the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Problem is, they stayed....

Heck, there are some people who still say that they are displaced LA citizens (as far west as SA) and not actual Texas citizens yet.

I have a neighbor who's like that.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 14:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Texas

If you can't sneak in, then come in by the droves it seems.

Larry says it's simply because they're giving away free stuff. I haven't heard of any other reason honestly. Nothing more going on there then usual, except for Venezuela.

Quote:
“I guess when you advertise $2 billion of assistance to help out the cause, it’s an open invitation for anybody to come across,” said Lazaro “Larry” Gallardo Jr., a constable in Hidalgo County, as he stood along the Rio Grande riverbank.
By fonewear 2014-06-12 14:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

They came to America to eat at Taco Bell.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-06-12 15:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Texas

Problem is, they stayed....

Heck, there are some people who still say that they are displaced LA citizens (as far west as SA) and not actual Texas citizens yet.

I have a neighbor who's like that.

One of the initial problem was, how do schools accommodate to this massive influx of students?

On the topic of Katrina refugees, I might have to PM you some super fun stories about the experiences of some of my friends who were teaching during the Katrina aftermath, and the ripple effect that was still on-going a couple of years afterwards, so they won't be misconstrued.
By fonewear 2014-06-12 15:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Katrina is that the storm Bush conjured up in his infinite wisdom ?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-06-12 15:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You would think this would spur immigration legislation, but the GOP is running scared now that their leader has just been ousted.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-12 16:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of Katrina refugees, I might have to PM you some super fun stories about the experiences of some of my friends who were teaching during the Katrina aftermath, and the ripple effect that was still on-going a couple of years afterwards, so they won't be misconstrued.
Do that, I would like to see it please.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-07-15 12:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Nebraska Governor: Govt Told Me Nothing Before Sending 200 Undocumented Immigrants To My State.

So what's the administration's plan here? Wipe out American culture by allowing in diseased illegal aliens, while not even telling us where they are going? Give me a break!

We are being invaded.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-15 12:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask the House, still waiting on them.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-15 12:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Nebraska Governor: Govt Told Me Nothing Before Sending 200 Undocumented Immigrants To My State.

So what's the administration's plan here? Wipe out American culture by allowing in diseased illegal aliens, while not even telling us where they are going? Give me a break!

We are being invaded.

"American culture" is a culture constantly in progressive flux. If it weren't we'd still be a bunch of moronic puritan ***. So put that one back in the deck.

One of my more conservative friends with whom I normally disagree on issues actually has a really great stance on immigration. Paraphrased:

"Too many people look at it as 'immigrants coming over and taking my portion of the pie'. I say 'come, work with me, and let's make a bigger god damn pie'."
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-07-15 12:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How are they undocumented if there are documents about them from the Department of Health and Services? If they've been accepted into the US some people may view them as illegal but I'm betting there is a visa attached to their identity.

Also, are governors normally personally notified when immigrants move into their states?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-15 12:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

We are being invaded.
This:

see also:
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-15 12:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What's a picture of Drac doing in this thread?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-07-15 12:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Ask the House, still waiting on them.

Really? I was unaware that the administration could just ship people all across the country without letting receiving state officials know.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-15 12:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Now you know. Feel better?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-15 12:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

We are being invaded.

"American culture" is a culture constantly in progressive flux. If it weren't we'd still be a bunch of moronic puritan ***.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-15 13:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

We are being invaded.

"American culture" is a culture constantly in progressive flux. If it weren't we'd still be a bunch of moronic puritan ***.

Can't it be both? (Edit:that is to say, I live in Pennsylvania. Buying booze on Sunday is still pretty hard to do and I'm pretty sure that despite gay marriage being given the okay, we still have anti-sodomy laws on the books as well as ambiguous language requiring the belief in Christianity to hold office. We're still pretty uptight. But at least we're not *** Quakers anymore.)

My point is that "Wipe out American culture by letting brown people into the country" is a pretty baseless concern.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-15 13:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Possibly. But American "culture" still has a high level of moronic puritanical twatism.
"Culture" in quotes, simply because it is rather difficult to find any kind of uniform culture in the US. Which is kind of one of the the basic concepts for the US.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-07-15 13:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

American culture is raping and pillaging for a buck. No more no less. I'm fairly certain we borrowed it European empires and made claim it was an original idea, which coincidentally is also an other aspect of American culture.

tldr or didn't get the truth when the joke: Americans who cry that were losing our culture have no clue what American culture is.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-07-15 13:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

American culture is raping and pillaging for a buck. No more no less. I'm fairly certain we borrowed it European empires and made claim it was an original idea, which coincidentally is also an other aspect of American culture.

tldr or didn't get the truth when the joke: Americans who cry that were losing our culture have no clue what American culture is.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-07-15 13:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

American culture is raping and pillaging for a buck. No more no less. I'm fairly certain we borrowed it from European empires and made claim it was an original idea, which coincidentally is also an other aspect of American culture.

[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10