Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 718 719 720 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 13:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gay marriage: Could white slavery be next?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

We are already slaves to feels !
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 13:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Next week on Rush Limbaugh.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

More like day 253 of gay marriage coverage !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Already happened, but since it wasn't exactly like chattel slavery don't bring it up. There are a handful of really, really angry and upset historians/SJWs on the topic that get offended if you say anyone else may have had it bad, even if not in the same way or QUITE as bad.

"Hey, this guy just broke all of the bones in my hands with a hammer!"

"Shut up. He busted up my genitals too, so it doesn't matter."
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as a liberal everything offends me. So that is par for the course.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-06-30 13:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I'm offended by that.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »

I'm offended by that.

Me too !
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-30 13:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The other day there was a black person on the same train as me. Jeez, when will these liberals stop oppressing us with their policies?

What am I gonna find next time, a jew?!

*watered down version of the other day's joke xD
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of things I find offensive... the Pope is coming to America !

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pope-us-meet-homeless-prisoners-immigrants-32121855

Meeting with homeless people what a waste of time ! They don't have any money !

By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The Pope is going to ask the homeless people to stop being homeless and join the Catholic faith !

So they can recruit other homeless people to join the church.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 13:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Now, speaking personally, I think that removing tax exempt status from churches is theoretically a good idea (in terms of equality), but a horrible idea in practice. Right now, that's pretty much the only stick you have with regards to preventing religions from actively participating in politics en masse. Removing the incentive to stay (at least in appearance) out of politics would be extremely detrimental to the US system of governance.

Somehow, I'm not sure that the Catholics, at least, qualify anyhow. Not when the Pope is constantly meeting with world leaders, including our own.

Not political my left nut.

And I wonder how many denominational-related lobby groups get behind candidates with the wink-nod from a religion while the religion's national committee goes "Oh, no, we're not funding anything political..."
There's a world of difference between the current "nod and wink" policies, and rampant demagoguery. Which is quite a fun word to spell, by the way.

It's also worth noting that the Catholic Church is going to be an outlier (albeit a rather large one) for any of these discussions, given that the Vatican is actually an independent state.

But yes, the status quo has problems. I'm not sure those problems are worse than what we'd get if we removed any incentive to play along.

What I'd ultimately like to see is religious organizations be treated as a class of charity; you open your books, and if you use some pre-determined % of your income on visible, verifiable charity work, your rules around taxes stay much like the current system. If you do not, you're treated as a for-profit business, and that's okay too, you can apply for your exemption again next year.

Churches that actually fulfill their stated mission of doing good in the world don't really see anything change beyond some more accounting, and those who don't, well, more tax money for schools and roads.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The other day there was a black person on the same train as me. Jeez, when will these liberals stop oppressing us with their policies?

What am I gonna find next time, a jew?!

*watered down version of the other day's joke xD

A Jew in Italy sounds like a good plot for a movie !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-30 13:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You might be homeless my children, but you are not churchless! *fist to heart*

*everyone applauds like the pope did something*
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Who needs a home when you got the church pew to sleep on !
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[Mod edit: yeah, that one's too far. --Rooks]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 13:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Pat Robertson: Gays Will Force You To Have Anal Sex, Bestiality
Quote:
“It doesn’t matter what custom you’ve got, it doesn’t matter what holy thing that you worship and adore, the gays are going to get it,” Robertson said. “They’re going to make you conform to them. You are going to say you like anal sex, you like oral sex, you like bestiality, you like anything you can think of, whatever it is. And sooner or later you are going to have to conform your religious beliefs the group of some aberrant thing. It won’t stop at homosexuality.”
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well bestiality is always awkward when you first try it !

You got to get the right breed of dog first.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 13:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of tax exempt status of churches in the US, I think a good compromise would be adopting the German system of taxation in which those who are baptized/confirmed members of churches have a compulsory income tax levied on them and those who are not members or renounce their active status within the church don't pay.

Those who remain have the benefits of parochial schools and the pomp and circumstance and...Ummm...People who are unaffiliated in Germany can still attend masses and services but cannot partake in Communion, Catechism, Ash Wednesday, etc. Fair for the secularists. Fair for the devout.

It's entirely lop-sided that in the US churches do not pay, at the very least, property taxes which is funneled back into their respective communities. I think what most secularists here (on FFXIAH), and they're not wrong for thinking so, have more of a "put your money where your mouth is" attitude.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
On the topic of tax exempt status of churches in the US, I think a good compromise would be adopting the German system of taxation in which those who are baptized/confirmed members of churches have a compulsory income tax levied on them, and those who are not members or renounce their active status within the church don't pay.

Those who remain have the benefits of parochial schools and the pomp and circumstance and...Ummm...People who are unaffiliated in Germany can still attend masses and services, but cannot partake in Communion, Catechism, Ash Wednesday, etc. Fair for the secularists. Fair for the devout.

It's entirely lop-sided that in the US churches do not pay, at the very least, property taxes which is funneled back into their respective communities. I think what most secularists here, and they're not wrong for thinking so, have more of a "put your money where your mouth is" attitude.

You keep your German ideas in Germany this is America !
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If taxes upset you so much just start your own religion/church like Jim Jones. Then you can finally stop paying taxes.
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-06-30 14:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
“It doesn’t matter what custom you’ve got, it doesn’t matter what holy thing that you worship and adore, the gays are going to get it,” Robertson said. “They’re going to make you conform to them. You are going to say you like anal sex, you like oral sex, you like bestiality, you like anything you can think of, whatever it is. And sooner or later you are going to have to conform your religious beliefs the group of some aberrant thing. It won’t stop at homosexuality.”

Pat Robertson's still alive? Maybe there really is no God.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

For people that practice no religion you guys spend a lot of time thinking about... religion/churches.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 14:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
On the topic of tax exempt status of churches in the US, I think a good compromise would be adopting the German system of taxation in which those who are baptized/confirmed members of churches have a compulsory income tax levied on them, and those who are not members or renounce their active status within the church don't pay.

Those who remain have the benefits of parochial schools and the pomp and circumstance and...Ummm...People who are unaffiliated in Germany can still attend masses and services, but cannot partake in Communion, Catechism, Ash Wednesday, etc. Fair for the secularists. Fair for the devout.

It's entirely lop-sided that in the US churches do not pay, at the very least, property taxes which is funneled back into their respective communities. I think what most secularists here (on FFXIAH), and they're not wrong for thinking so, have more of a "put your money where your mouth is" attitude.

EDIT: May not work in the US, since the US has a hard-on for slap-dash, make ***up as you go churches.
The same here for Lutheranism (the state religion); you can choose to be a part of it (about 2% tax?), or choose not to.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 14:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Or maybe there is, and neither side wants him.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

What Nietzsche meant by that quote is not that God is dead but the idea that religion is necessary is dead. The belief in a higher power.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 14:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If taxes upset you so much just start your own religion/church like Jim Jones. Then you can finally stop paying taxes.
Yes. Shortly after a nice refreshing drink.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a world of difference between the current "nod and wink" policies, and rampant demagoguery. Which is quite a fun word to spell, by the way.

There's a difference.

When you deal with politicians who openly pander to religion, however, I don't think it's as wide of one as you want to believe it is.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 14:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing is real without the feelz. Libs don't feel like the church will be attacked, so it never will be.

Another day, another article Nausi quote mines and completely missed the point of.

Another day another point Pleebo can't understand any other way but his own.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
What I'd ultimately like to see is religious organizations be treated as a class of charity; you open your books,

PERSECUTION! HOW DARE YOU SUBJECT ME TO YOUR SCRUTINY! FIRST AMENDEMENT! FIRST AMENDMENT!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 718 719 720 ... 1375 1376 1377