Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 604 605 606 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-05-27 15:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
None of that is America's fault.
Wow.
So Bush's clinging to Maliki (who was he installed by again?) after he was informed that he worsens the Sunni and Shia relationships had no influence on the current situation?
Paul Bremer's actions like throwing out hundred thousands of armed soldiers into unemplyoment and complete ejection of the Ba'ath party members had no influence on the current situation?
Petraeus giving money to terrorists had no influence on the situation?
Not to mention the Invasion itself, supporting the stalemate of chaos in Syria, and there are a ton of things more which led to the current situation involving Americas Policy. Some of which were quite back in time.

There is no fix to the past mistakes. It evolved, entangled with other problems, for some of these other problems Americas policy was also responsible for others which were not. that's how history goes.

It does not however free America from responsibilty for the future as each problem comes back to your nation in some form as America is part of this world and has interests in every part of this world.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 15:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I keep forgetting that we aren't dealing with rational human beings in the Middle East. Or, that's the way you are making it sound like.

Yes, their religious difference will be there, and if they want to kill each other after we leave, so be it. But at least let's fix the problems we left them with instead of leaving them high and dry, ok?

Can we at least agree to that, or are you going to find faults in that? I have yet to see any solutions coming from either of you, just criticisms.

What problems did we leave them with?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 15:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Wow.
So Bush's clinging to Maliki (who was he installed by again?) after he was informed that he worsens the Sunni and Shia relationships had no influence on the current situation?
Paul Bremer's actions like throwing out hundred thousands of armed soldiers into unemplyoment and complete ejection of the Ba'ath party members had no influence on the current situation?
Not to mention the Invasion itself, supporting the stalemate of chaos in Syria, and there are a ton of things more which led to the current situation involving Americas Policy. Some of which were quite back in time.

Nice attempt to cherry pick my post and then try to attack something I wasn't referring to, but uh, it didn't work.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-05-27 15:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.

Nice attempt to cherry pick my post and then try to attack something I wasn't referring to, but uh, it didn't work.
You were going the route that the local powers were at fault. I showed you how Americas Policy is responsible for the local powers either by installing them, supporting them, not supporting other groups or just pay some so that they shut down their activity for a while.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-27 16:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

We spend more on our military than any other country

If we just cut our spending by 10% we could be out of our debt in around 5 years or so.

But spending doesn't really matter in war, it's the mindset and the Middle East has the mindset that no one really matters unless your a man and follow under the guidance of Allah in a time of war.

That's what makes war with them really terrifying, their lack of sympathy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
To answer both of you:

I keep forgetting that we aren't dealing with rational human beings in the Middle East. Or, that's the way you are making it sound like.

Yes, their religious difference will be there, and if they want to kill each other after we leave, so be it. But at least let's fix the problems we left them with instead of leaving them high and dry, ok?

Can we at least agree to that, or are you going to find faults in that? I have yet to see any solutions coming from either of you, just criticisms.

The problem is one of history and one of time. America is not willing to stay the period needed to create substantive change (decades at least) or apply the type of capital required in order to make it work. Because Iraq ain't worth it. Living under dictatorships and unstable governments, it's not surprising when people simply keep to themselves in small units. Small units that then get picked off by invading armies like ISIS.

At best we could attempt to go in, hit ISIS hard in an attempt to degrade their capabilities but even that could shape up to be a years long campaign, and im not talking about nation building. Syria again is a problem because the Islamic *State* spans the two countries.

Secondly would be to get state actors in the region to unite to defeat IS. It's not like this is impossible given countries like Jordan and Saudi Arabia have commit to a bombing campaign under the aid of the US but actual ground forces. That's the rub.

It isn't like bitter enemies haven't banded together against a common enemy before but honestly I feel like we're still waiting for a major ISIS victory to get peoples *** in gear. Bad as that sounds.

Either way it's gonna be alot of handwringing to get 'Murica back on the ground.
I'll agree with you on both time and money limitations, plus nobody is willing to spend effort on something for no reward or benefit.

But I think that we should be responsible for our own mistakes, so we stop making them. Instead, the federal government *** over everyone and tells everyone to go *** off. Doesn't matter if you are a US citizen or foreign government, that's the federal's answer to everything.

You all know I have touted personal responsibility, that viewpoint will never go away. I don't know why people are fighting against being a responsible human being, honestly. You *** up, you have to pay the price...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.

You were going the route that the local powers were at fault. I showed you how Americas Policy is responsible for the local powers either by installing them, supporting them, not supporting other groups or just pay some so that they shut down their activity for a while.
Vic meant that none of Iraq is Obama's fault. It's all Bush only, even when Bush isn't calling the shots anymore.

He's the poster child of "Pity Obama" campaign that's going on.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Terraka said: »

If we just cut our spending by 10% we could be out of our debt in around 5 years or so.

But spending doesn't really matter in war, it's the mindset and the Middle East has the mindset that no one really matters unless your a man and follow under the guidance of Allah in a time of war.

Dear New Mod:
Please never post this graph again or try to tie military spending to the debt, it doesn't work and we don't need another conspiracy theorist.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Vic meant that none of Iraq is Obama's fault. It's all Bush only, even when Bush isn't calling the shots anymore.

No, I didn't. I was referring to the current situation involving the state of the Iraqi forces and the fact that Iraqi's are solely responsible for said state.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Terraka said: »

Dear New Mod:
Please never post this graph again or try to tie military spending to the debt, it doesn't work and we don't need another conspiracy theorist.
We wouldn't be out of our debt in 5 years just by cutting military spending by 10%. But it's not a conspiracy theory....

Unless you want to say that cutting spending increases national debt. I would love for you to explain that one away.

And Terra, don't let Vic scare you off. Most of us are willing to debate spending levels. Vic is just the cheerleader for the DNC and Obama/liberal policies.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I didn't. I was referring to the current situation involving the state of the Iraqi forces and the fact that Iraqi's are solely responsible for said state.
Again, you don't want to attribute Obama's policies towards foreign affairs, especially the problems with the Middle East. Because that would tarnish your lord and savior boy's image.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

What would you call it then? A fantasy? A pipedream?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You have a far rosier look at things than I do because no one's responsible unless they're held accountable. Not government, not corporations, not *people*.

We *** up in Iraq somewhere. Maybe it was supporting Saddam Hussain, maybe it was invading to topple Saddam Hussain or maybe it was leaving after being told by Iraqis to get out. Maliki turned out to be the usual ME leader who supports his own and *** everyone else which did nothing but setup IS to roll Iraq.

None of it matters. The Islamic State is a thing. They're plans of regional conquest involve thriving on the chaos and division of the region. The world will be tasked to take care of them. When? I dunno.

But the US isn't doing it alone and the world isn't motivated to do more than support more proxies and bombs. Eventually the time will come to assault IS with the appropriate force required to end their conquests but it definitely won't involve 'fixing' Iraq.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you don't want to attribute Obama's policies towards foreign affairs, especially the problems with the Middle East. Because that would tarnish your lord and savior boy's image.

We are all still waiting for you to actually tie a specific Obama action to the problems in Iraq instead of just continuing to use your personal feelings as a reason. What could he have done differently? The idea of "staying until the job was done" has been proven to not be an option, so, what does that leave?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If we cut spending on all levels by 10%, we will have a significant portion of our national debt paid off, but not erased, in 5 years.

It's not a pipe dream or fantasy. It's not knowing better.

I don't expect Terra, who is new here and hasn't shown her opinions on much anything to know better.

She certainly has more respect from me than some other posters here who don't even bother posting a source with their reasoning. Regardless if she is a mod or not.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

*music starts*

Let's get down to business
To defeat ISIS
Did they send me Sunnis
When I asked for Shia
You're the saddest bunch
I ever met
But you can bet
Before we're through
Mister, I'll make a man
out of you
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

We are all still waiting for you to actually tie a specific Obama action to the problems in Iraq instead of just continuing to use your personal feelings as a reason. What could he have done differently? The idea of "staying until the job was done" has been proven to not be an option, so, what does that leave?
Accelerating the pullout in Iraq, while not completing the training of Iraq's military power.

But you, as Obama's cheerleader, will just deflect that on the Iraqi Army's fault. Even though multiple Generals stated that we shouldn't have left with such incomplete training.

So, keep living that lie.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You have a far rosier look at things than I do because no one's responsible unless they're held accountable. Not government, not corporations, not *people*.
So, you hold nobody accountable for their actions. Got it.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-05-27 16:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Establish a real leader in charge of US policies towards foreign affairs. A real leader would be somebody who is able to understand international politics, cultural differences, and negotiations. Out of our current pool of "leaders" (I use this term very loosely in today's politics, as there are no leaders in Washington DC or any state government at all), nobody would fit the bill, so we have to expand our search towards somebody who understands such political and cultural differences and can negotiate with people, instead of creating conflict.

The top 3 people I can think of who can do the job are not US nationals, so they cannot be POTUS. The best person I know personally who deals with all 3 of the above would be Joe Gorder, but he wouldn't do that job, ever.
Actually that person you mention needn't be POTUS, it could be Secretary of State. Problem is that the position has been given to politicians to pad their resumes.

Quote:
But assuming we have a real leader who can direct US policies towards foreign affairs, the next step is to recover parts of Iraq that have a strong ISIS presence. By doing so, we can recover some of the damage caused by those terrorists that we had a direct involvement from.
There is a bit of a how missing here. I do agree with the outline. I am sure everyone would.

Quote:
After that, we can then complete the training that was in place before Obama got wimpy and decided to abandon the region (yes, that is all on him) to save face in an election cycle. Complete training with armament on lease and help support the fight against the terrorists in the region.
Like most Republicans you conveniently forget that it was W who signed the withdrawal agreement.

And we did a GOOD job of training their troops. It was their leaders, both political and military, who broke the troop's spirits and morale.

Quote:
While the training is commencing, have our real leader negotiate and settle with other countries in the region allowing us to fight ISIS and recover their lands from the terrorist group. We have some allies in the region, but we need to negotiate and compromise with the rest of the region, because we honestly have a singular enemy among ourselves. Iran may not see them as an enemy yet, but they will once they start turning against Iran in their crusade to control the region.
Iran does see ISIS as an enemy. There is currently some very quiet and under the table cooperation between Iran and the US right now.

Quote:
Hopefully we have at the time that the training is complete and our troops, under the aid of drones and actual working gear, help keep the terrorist at bay (not really taking over, but actually keeping them from creating more damage to the region than what they are doing currently), we can let the Middle East nations take back the region they have (or our allies in the region) and solve the problem themselves. Let them fight it out and keep us from having to come solve their problems for them.
Right now having boots on the ground that aren't from majority Muslim countries is a bad idea.

Quote:
Idealistic at the very least, but one that I think we can all agree with, letting the locals deal with local problems and ask for our help if needed, but not have us fight their wars for them. Fix our mistakes but don't do their job for them.
The mistakes we have made in that region, and we have been making there for a LONG time, are not capable of being fixed. The best we can hope for is recovered from.

I will elaborate on any of my replies if requested by anyone save Nasui or Loldgrim. Them also if the request is readable.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The Iraqi gov't asked the US to leave, thats not a deflection, its a well known fact that you ignore. Was that a good decision by the Iraqi gov't? Nope. What does it have to do with Obama? Oh, I'm sure you think he could have just ignored that request, right?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I know people aren't taking responsibility unless there are consequences and people are held accountable for their actions.

It's the reasons bankers do shady ***and never see jail, why your pols are corrupt and don't care or why committing war crimes is whatever. Only powerless people are held to task for their actions, anyone with significant enough sway laughs at the idea of being taken to task.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-27 16:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I know people aren't taking responsibility unless there are consequences and people are held accountable for their actions.

It's the reasons bankers do shady ***and never see jail, why your pols are corrupt and don't care or why committing war crimes is whatever. Only powerless people are held to task for their actions, anyone with significant enough sway laughs at the idea of being taken to task.
You make it sound like only Republicans are corrupt....

Shall I point to you the nearest city in your area? Hell, I can point to you Chicago and Detroit and that would take care of more than the number of Republicans in DC....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Tranquil as the Green Zone
But on fire within
Once you find your US equipment
you are sure to win
You're a spineless, pale
pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue
Somehow I'll make a man
out of you
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-27 16:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh my. What a backread. Looks like the P&R machine is up and running again.

I wonder how the "Obama's not a great president and has a lot of legitimate problems, but we will defend every accusation made against him anyway" strategy is going to work out for the Dems' next candidate? Will it work without a cult of personality as a backup plan?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-27 16:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Oh my. What a backread. Looks like the P&R machine is up and running again.

I wonder how the "Obama's not a great president and has a lot of legitimate problems, but we will defend every accusation made against him anyway" strategy is going to work out for the Dems' next candidate? Will it work without a cult of personality as a backup plan?

It's a pretty large leap from "he's ineffectual" to "he's invading Texas to take their guns and cause floods". Silence the crazy on the fringe and the left would be more willing to listen to legitimate criticisms.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-27 16:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If we are going to talk about who is the most corrupt, we should make fun of FIFA.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm never gonna catch
my breath
Say goodbye to those
who bribed me
Boy, was I a fool
for abandoning my post
ISIS got 'em
scared to death
Hope he doesn't see
right through me
Now I really wish that I
knew how to swim
(Be a man)
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-27 16:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends. Will the accusations be legitimate next time?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You make it sound like only Republicans are corrupt....

Shall I point to you the nearest city in your area? Hell, I can point to you Chicago and Detroit and that would take care of more than the number of Republicans in DC....

Where did I mention anything and I mean anything about political alignment?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-27 16:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If its a legitimate accusation, the Democratic party has a way to shut that whole thing down.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 604 605 606 ... 1375 1376 1377