Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 589 590 591 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-21 12:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey according to Obama we left behind a "sovereign, stable and self-reliant" Iraq.

How was he suppose to know they would fall to ISIS in the next few years? I bet he didn't even find out until he read it in the newspaper.

Regardless all that money, all that work, all those lives spend bringing stability to the region were flushed down the toilet by the commander in chief. You think liberals would jump to at least take credit for destroying the opportunity, instead they just insist it be revised out of history.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-21 12:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Hey according to Obama we left behind a "sovereign, stable and self-reliant" Iraq.

How was he suppose to know they would fall to ISIS in the next few years? I bet he didn't even find out until he read it in the newspaper.

Regardless all that money, all that work, all those lives spend bringing stability to the region were flushed down the toilet by the commander in chief. You think liberals would jump to at least take credit for destroying the opportunity, instead they just insist it be revised out of history.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-21 12:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So, military leaders said that the problems stemmed from, among other things, broken equipment and a sharp decline in training. In other words, they were poorly-equipped and poorly-trained, which is what I've been saying all along. Now, if only I can find a reason to believe Vic, Sparth, and Flavin above people who are military leaders that actually know what they're talking about.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-21 12:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Ask the US Army, they have centuries of instilling the will to fight in people who don't have the will to fight prior to basic training. Remember, we had a draft for centuries until they stopped using it (but didn't get rid of it).
Uh, no we didn't. The US army was created in 1789; that just barely eeks into the plural centuries, and a draft hasn't been in effect for all of US history; only during some phases.
And FFS, the current form of training techniques for the US military only really started in the past 50 years.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-21 12:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

And now we come to the point in this discussion where any further debate will be pointless.

thank altana that has never stopped any of us before.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-21 12:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gosh, looks like that global warming schtick is drying up huh? I mean it's gotta be if Obama's trying to tie it into the military. Instead of you know, real threats.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-21 12:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

So, military leaders said that the problems stemmed from, among other things, broken equipment and a sharp decline in training. In other words, they were poorly-equipped and poorly-trained, which is what I've been saying all along. Now, if only I can find a reason to believe Vic, Sparth, and Flavin above people who are military leaders that actually know what they're talking about.

So, as the Times article stated, they were not poorly equipped. They were extremely well equipped at the beginning, and their units have suffered battle damage. If you are given a brand new shiny tank, and you let an anti-tank missile get shot into it, is that the supplier's fault?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-21 12:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but apparently there were maintenance issues plaguing them as well. Even if they had the best equipment, they clearly weren't trained enough.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-21 12:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny you leave out that the article goes on to say that the US spent 25 billion in training and equipment and that the Iraqi government bought their own equipment that was subsequently destroyed or lacked maint.

Quote:
There are pockets of proficiency, but in general, they have been made fragile over the past three to four years, mostly because of the government of Iraq’s policies,”

Says one retired lieutenant general, incase you think I'm just making ***up.

Quote:
They’re losing confidence in themselves and in the government’s ability to win. And the government is losing confidence in them.”

Hey, it's just what Sparthy said. That the Iraqis don't believe in their own government, regardless of US hurrah and training. But wait, there's more!

Quote:
In one instance a few years ago, a leading Sunni general in northern Iraq whom American officers lauded for his operational skills was ousted and replaced by a Shiite officer. And since the last American forces left Iraq, United States officials said the government in Baghdad had failed to finance and maintain the same training missions.

Hey look, it's that social issue that I mentioned that only further drives Iraqi soldiers to defect, abandon or give no ***. Just because he's Sunni, we can't have that competent guy leading forces. Nope, bring in the Shiite guy because he's pro-Maliki.

It almost sounds like the red v. blue nonsense some of you play in this thread! Except lives and a country are at stake. But wait, there's EVEN more!

Quote:
Still, Lt. Gen. John N. Bednarek, who heads the office of security cooperation at the United States Embassy in Baghdad, said at a closed hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee that some of the Iraqi soldiers who guarded the Green Zone in the capital had come to work wearing civilian clothes under their military uniform, according to one senator. The implication was that the troops were prepared to strip to civilian attire and flee if they came under heavy attack.

Surprise, surprise because they don't believe in the country or what it stands for! Time to flee given a real fight because Iraqi is a political/religious shitshow where what Allah you follow matters more than driving crazed religious nutjobs from out of your county.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-21 12:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but apparently there were maintenance issues plaguing them as well. Even if they had the best equipment, they clearly weren't trained enough.

Because the *** Iraqi army wouldn't pay for it. Shall we wipe the *** and powder the bottoms of Baghdad while we're at it?

Iraqi government officials were more concerned about keeping power and demeaning Sunni/Kurdish members of their army by stacking loyal Shiite soldiers near Maliki and putting the mixed forces in areas where they'd inevitably be deprived equipment and maintenance which does a number on morale, if there was any to start.

If your CO doesn't give a ***, why should you? Patriotism? towards what? A government that antagonizes you and is corrupt? HA.

When ISIS showed up I too would have thrown down my guns and ran because my government obviously doesn't give a ***about me or my life. Why should I throw mine away for them?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-21 12:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gosh, looks like that global warming schtick is drying up huh? I mean it's gotta be if Obama's trying to tie it into the military. Instead of you know, real threats.
It's not really new.
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/12914/national-security-implications-of-climate-change-for-us-naval-forces
http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2014_Quadrennial_Defense_Review.pdf
http://www.cna.org/reports/accelerating-risks
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=121237
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-21 13:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say it was new, just that him vomiting it to the armed services was desperate.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-21 13:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say it was new, just that him vomiting it to the armed services was desperate.
Why? They've been running studies/analyses and planning on that topic for about a decade now.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-05-21 13:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Isn't that exactly what happened in Iraq? Where people are suffering and we decided to take down a dictatorship so they can be more free than they were before? Except how is that going for them so far?

What happened in Iraq was never about the people. I thought we were all fairly clear on that. ^^;

Say "feels" again. Really. It's such a compelling retort.
Revisionist history.
Yeah. Nobody was saying this back then. It's totally revisionist.
Actions speak louder than words, you know that, right?

Also: Main point of Iraq War is to topple the dictatorship (shock)
Garuda.Chanti said: »
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-21 13:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Why? They've been running studies/analyses and planning on that topic for about a decade now.

Because the issue is a looser, as in no one cares about it. He's gotta try and keep the left's agenda going by actively tying it into something else that people politically prioritize like national security.

IE not only is global warming going to make the planet hot 100 years from now when you're not even going to be alive, but it's also going to make credible national security threats too (so pay attention to the agenda).
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-21 13:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the issue is a looser, as in no one cares about it. He's gotta try and keep the left's agenda going by actively tying it into something else that people politically prioritize like national security.

IE not only is global warming going to make the planet hot 100 years from now when you're not even going to be alive, but it's also going to make credible national security threats too (so pay attention to the agenda).
The military isn't exactly an organization known for its liberal tendencies?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-21 13:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
READ IT.

My favorite part is in the comment section... blame israel!

By Nyruul 2015-05-21 13:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it hard to take a website seriously with a name resembling publishers clearing house. tltr anyways
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-21 13:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's Fone? He knows the deal.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-21 13:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really new.
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/12914/national-security-implications-of-climate-change-for-us-naval-forces
http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2014_Quadrennial_Defense_Review.pdf
http://www.cna.org/reports/accelerating-risks
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=121237
Those look like pro-military biased sources.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-21 13:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyruul said: »
I find it hard to take a website seriously with a name resembling publishers clearing house. tltr anyways

but if you give them all your credit card numbers you might win a prize!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-21 13:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Nyruul said: »

but if you give them all your credit card numbers you might win a prize!

It'll be a clearing house all right...
By fonewear 2015-05-21 13:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Where's Fone? He knows the deal.

I'm here. It's also my birthday !
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-21 13:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

our favorite ***poster turns 30! get out the booze, ***!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-21 13:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

So, as the Times article stated, they were not poorly equipped. They were extremely well equipped at the beginning, and their units have suffered battle damage. If you are given a brand new shiny tank, and you let an anti-tank missile get shot into it, is that the supplier's fault?
What Times article? If you are going to argue against the source articles, use, you know, the actual source articles and not another source article (that you failed to reference, go figure).
By fonewear 2015-05-21 13:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm already drinking this !

I would describe is as pretty spicy. Can definitely taste the old bay.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-21 13:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
our favorite ***poster turns 30! get out the booze, ***!
It's Flavin's birthday too?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-21 13:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If it is Happy Birthday Flavin.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-21 13:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »