Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 512 513 514 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-29 11:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Random link I stumbled across today: 11 Nations of North America

Interesting read, certainly makes plenty of sense. Nothing really "groundbreaking", but the way he defines the regions seems accurate enough at first blush.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-29 11:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

rkhan said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
seeing as you're quite clearly Korpg.
Is he really?

Yup.
That is hilarious...
[+]
By rkhan 2015-04-29 12:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

IF you don't care, you're new.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 13:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Is he really?

Yup.
That is hilarious...
Mods must be new then. Because all 3 1 of them have publicly said that, you guessed it, they don't care.
By rkhan 2015-04-29 13:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you caring so much Korpg.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 13:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news, to change the subject to something more appropriate towards this thread:

Clinton capitalizes on criminal justice reform on the newest race-related incident

Quote:
Diving into the debate over police use of force, Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton on Wednesday urged police departments throughout the country to use body cameras and urged an end to excessive prison sentences that burden black communities.

In a speech at New York's Columbia University, Clinton called on America "to come to terms with some hard truths about race and justice" in the aftermath of this week's Baltimore riots.

"There is something wrong when a third of all black men face the prospect of prison during their lifetimes," said Clinton, the front-running Democrat in the 2016 race for the White House.

The former U.S. senator called on Congress to help "end the era of mass incarceration," tapping into growing bipartisan efforts in Washington to lower America's sky-high rates of imprisonment.

Criminal justice reform is emerging as a rare point of agreement between Democrats and Republicans. Clinton praised Republicans, including Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, one of her rivals for the presidency, for promoting the issue.

Clinton addressed the violence in Baltimore, where rioters looted stores and burned buildings to the ground on Monday following the funeral of a 25-year-old black man who died after suffering injuries while in police custody.

"There is something wrong when the trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve breaks down as far as it has in many of our communities," Clinton said.

She said body-worn cameras for police should be "the norm everywhere."

"That will improve transparency and accountability; it will help protect good people on both sides of the lens."

Requiring police to wear body cameras has been one of the issues in the debate over policing tactics following the killing of black men by white officers in Ferguson, Missouri, and New York, among other places, last year.

In recent weeks, bipartisan efforts in Congress to lower the United States' rates of incarceration - often described as the highest in the world - have gathered pace.

Rand Paul is the co-author of a bill known as the REDEEM Act that would encourage states to keep children out of the adult justice system and allow adults with nonviolent offenses to expunge their criminal records. He argues that the United States cannot afford to keep so many people in prison.

Another bipartisan bill is aimed at reducing the number of inmates in federal prisons partly through education programs.

The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Iowa Republican Chuck Grassley, said this week that he is ready to address some justice reform issues but ruled out across-the-board cuts in mandatory minimum sentencing.

Paul said Clinton's husband, former President Bill Clinton, was partly responsible for the high number of Americans in prison.

"Earlier today, Hillary Clinton proposed various criminal justice reform ideas in an attempt to undo some of Bill Clinton's work - the same work she cheerfully supported as first lady," Paul said in a statement.

Bill Clinton in 1994 signed into law a major crime bill that imposed tougher sentences and helped fund the building of extra prisons.

She, like all politicians, is trying to capitalize on a social issue in her run for president. While I do agree with her that body cameras will help these incidents from every occurring, the fact that she has the gall to demand reform and politicize it like this just shows how out of touch she is with the actual problem at hand.

Edit: Oh, and hi Filonheart
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-29 14:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Is he really?

Yup.
That is hilarious...
Mods must be new then. Because all 3 of them have publicly said that, you guessed it, they don't care.
No, one publicly said it. Both of you had been banned previously for various reasons and are basically being given a second chance. Don't fall back into your old selves and give us reasons to ban you guys again. Others have gotten the same second chance but decided to openly brag about "Yeah, The mods just let me come back, I'm a badass. Hahaha." and were rebanned for the same stuff they were originally. Don't be that guy....again.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 14:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to change the subject though. I'm not going to fall back to that again.

We both know why he is doing this, that's why I'm not allowing it to bother me to be honest.

And I changed my post, sorry Kojo.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-29 14:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't just to you. We usually know who's circumventing.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-29 14:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
You need to make the public aware girlboy!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 14:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It was Vigor. And Starcade.

/truestory.jpg
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-29 14:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

/truestory.jpg
I don't know who those people are... I barely know who you are as I started posting around the time Jaerik laid the epic ban hammer upon thy shoulders lol...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 14:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

/truestory.jpg
I don't know who those people are... I barely know who you are as I started posting around the time Jaerik laid the epic ban hammer upon thy shoulders lol...
That was an epic blow, wasn't it?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-29 14:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever, Darki.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-29 15:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever, Darki.
That's just wrong... lol...
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-29 17:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

She, like all politicians, is trying to capitalize on a social issue in her run for president.
Ok... then...

While I do agree with her that body cameras will help these incidents from every occurring, the fact that she has the gall to demand reform and politicize it like this just shows how out of touch she is with the actual problem at hand.
What point are you making, exactly? If she's like all politicians, that is, media *** who'll say anything to line their campaign funds and aid their election, what makes her doing this any more or less loathsome than if Chris Christie or Bernie Sanders or Abraham Lincoln said it?

I'm really confused. You don't like her because, according to this, she does what everyone else in her position does. So why single her out?

Additionally, how is she out of touch by calling for something you agree with?

Just once it'd be nice to see a comment around here that actually comments on what was said rather than just being some snide partisan quip. And, yes, I'm very aware I've done that exact thing at other times.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-04-29 18:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Just once it'd be nice to see a comment around here that actually comments on what was said rather than just being some snide partisan quip. And, yes, I'm very aware I've done that exact thing at other times.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Discuss!

Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-29 19:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

5 Reasons 'Traditional Marriage' Would Shock Your Ancestors

For all the "traditional marriage" dipshits.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-29 20:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

So much for the recent comments about civil discourse....

Look, I like Cracked. I read it almost every day. Using it as a source for a proper argument?... Not so much.
[+]
By EpicFantasy 2015-04-29 21:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

When your use this for an argument.
Quote:
Gay marriage was not uncommon in Ancient Rome; even the Emperor Nero publicly married at least two men.

You fail at life.

(Civil discourse in an internet forum is a myth.)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-04-29 23:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I, too, find historical facts terribly upsetting.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 23:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-29 23:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. I should let the behaviors of rich roman dudes from the first century dictate my views on more things. Thanks a lot Cracked! Your cherry-picking of history and barely on-topic facts have foiled me again!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 23:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

You're right. I should let the behaviors of rich roman dudes from the first century dictate my views on more things. Thanks a lot Cracked! Your cherry-picking of history and barely on-topic facts have foiled me again!
For a cracked article, it was rather decent, well the first page anyway, didn't read the second.
By EpicFantasy 2015-04-29 23:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Which historical fact do you find the most upsetting about Roman Emperor Nero? The fact that he killed his grand-unlce, also step-father which ascended him to the throne. Become a tyrannical ruler who set Rome on fire to build his palatial complex. Killing his step-brother the rightful Emperor of Rome the Day before he was to come of age. Did I mention he murdered his mother as well as his first and second wife.. Its even debated that his rule was the beginning of the fall of Rome.

Just a few of many historical facts that make basing an argument that gay marriage is a good thing, while using Nero as your go-to shining example "upsetting" to say the least.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 23:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

EpicFantasy said: »

Which historical fact do you find the most upsetting about Roman Emperor Nero? The fact that he killed his grand-unlce, also step-father which ascended him to the throne. Become a tyrannical ruler who set Rome on fire to build his palatial complex. Killing his step-brother the rightful Emperor of Rome the Day before he was to come of age. Did I mention he murdered his mother as well as his first and second wife.. Its even debated that his rule was the beginning of the fall of Rome.

Just a few of many historical facts that make basing an argument that gay marriage is a good thing, while using Nero as your go-to shining example "upsetting" to say the least.
You missed the point entirely. The argument was that it didn't happen before in history, which is patently false. Grasp harder.
[+]
By EpicFantasy 2015-04-30 00:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

You missed the point entirely. The argument was that it didn't happen before in history, which is patently false. Grasp harder.

The argument was.
Quote:
#1. Gay Marriage Has Always Existed

For a cracked article, it was rather decent, well the first page anyway, didn't read the second.

Maybe you should have before throwing up in this thread.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 00:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument was that it didn't happen before in history? The title of the article should've been "5 Obvious Things That A Lot of People Already Know" in that case.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-30 00:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument was.
Quote:
#1. Gay Marriage Has Always Existed

Maybe you should have before throwing up in this thread.

/headdesk

So now you're changing your stance, and I didn't need to read the other part to read that tidbit.

Yes and you're still wrong, go figure.

The argument was that it didn't happen before in history? The title of the article should've been "5 Obvious Things That A Lot of People Already Know" in that case.

That's kind of the point...

that'sthejoke.jpg
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-04-30 00:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying an article on blueberries (in keeping with the fruit theme) is cherry-picking facts by only focusing on blueberries lol. And, no, the point wasn't that we should live like olden times. The point was that the term "traditional marriage" is meaningless unless we employ the "traditional" to mean "what we're doing now".
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 512 513 514 ... 1375 1376 1377