Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1117 1118 1119 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-12-03 10:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

They are Muslim but we aren't allowed to say it might be terrorism lest we offend non terrorist Muslims.

It's a work related issue !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 10:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
The shooter worked for the government. His background was clean. What are lawmakers proposing that would have prevented this specific shooter from obtaining firearms?

They are pivotting ASAP to gun control to cover their *** because they know it is likely an ISIS related attack.

Let's be honest. Certain people were going to jump to gun control immediately just like people were going to jump to ISIS immediately.

My personal thoughts are that if we want to head this stuff off we need to get at the root of why people become disenfranchised and join extremist groups in the first place. But that's hard, whereas blaming it on one issue is easy, thus, is what happens.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-03 10:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry Bernie Sander(when he is elected) is going to impose a huge tax on bullets ! That will stop this.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 10:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to see more larry david as bernie sanders on snl. if you haven't seen it, look it up, it's good stuff.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 12:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a reason why maps usually always depict Europe in the middle?

I think that considering how far America is from Europe, and that Russia almost borders with Alaska, it would give a better sense of continuity and positions to put the pacific in the middle.

I know, not exactly a pressing matter, but I was wondering.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-03 12:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Foundation of western society originated in Europe.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 12:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but why keep doing maps that are eurocentric? Wouldn't it make more sense to be centered on the p-ocean?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-03 12:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it depends on where it's made?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 12:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno if I google maps I get 9/10 eurocentrics.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-03 12:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Is there a reason why maps usually always depict Europe in the middle?

I think that considering how far America is from Europe, and that Russia almost borders with Alaska, it would give a better sense of continuity and positions to put the pacific in the middle.

I know, not exactly a pressing matter, but I was wondering.
Aren't maps based on where you live? Like, in the US, maps usually take the US as the center?

EU is the old world, so it seem logical that it's the center on "general" maps. However, I'd find it more practical/better if say, people from SEA would use maps with the center being SEA.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-03 12:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I dunno if I google maps I get 9/10 eurocentrics.

Looks better with big US on one side and big Asia on the other and small Europe + Africa in middle?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 12:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

*shrugs* I know probably nobody cares, I just thought it would look better that way.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 12:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 12:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Gall-Peters type of guy
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 12:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

US to open all combat roles to women, defence secretary says
Quote:
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter has announced that all combat roles in the US military will be opened to women.

"America's force of the future," Mr Carter said, must be able to benefit from the "broadest possible pool of talent".

The move will lead to some 220,000 openings to women, he said.
Mr Carter is to give the armed services 30 days to submit plans to make the change. The US military has been easing restrictions over the past three years.

A ban on women serving in combat roles was lifted in 2013 but the military was given until 2016 to make the case for specific posts they thought should remain closed.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen Joseph Dunford, had argued the Marine Corps should be allowed to keep women out of certain roles, citing studies showing that mixed-gender units are not as effective as all-male ones.

But Mr Carter rejected the argument. "There will be no exceptions," he said.

"As long as they qualify and meet the standards, women will now be able to contribute to our mission in ways they could not before.

"They'll be allowed to drive tanks, fire mortars, lead infantry soldiers into combat."
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 12:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
They'll be allowed to drive tanks
But not park them!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 12:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

US to open all combat roles to women, defence secretary says
Quote:
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter has announced that all combat roles in the US military will be opened to women.

"America's force of the future," Mr Carter said, must be able to benefit from the "broadest possible pool of talent".

The move will lead to some 220,000 openings to women, he said.
Mr Carter is to give the armed services 30 days to submit plans to make the change. The US military has been easing restrictions over the past three years.

A ban on women serving in combat roles was lifted in 2013 but the military was given until 2016 to make the case for specific posts they thought should remain closed.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen Joseph Dunford, had argued the Marine Corps should be allowed to keep women out of certain roles, citing studies showing that mixed-gender units are not as effective as all-male ones.

But Mr Carter rejected the argument. "There will be no exceptions," he said.

"As long as they qualify and meet the standards, women will now be able to contribute to our mission in ways they could not before.

"They'll be allowed to drive tanks, fire mortars, lead infantry soldiers into combat."

While there will be no direct exceptions, I suspect there will still be some positions that will be exceedingly difficult for women to obtain due to basic body structure.

I remember maybe about a year ago the Army was testing women who volunteered for special forces duty, and while the women themselves were strong and holding up from a psychological and strength/conditioning perspective, a large percentage quit (or, specifically, were removed from the program because) their bodies literally weren't handling the required gear they carried and the like and many were getting stress fractures from the amount of equipment they had to carry/etc. They were able to carry it. But it was injuring them.

I'm sure some of it could be remedied with adjusted weight distributions and the like, but I wonder how they'd address that.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-12-03 13:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

When will they be required to register for selective services like men have to?
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 13:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
When will they be required to register foreliminate selective services like men have tobecause it's an outdated, problematic system in regard to our present society?

Edit: Oh, wait. You're the "compulsory military service for everyone" guy, aren't you?

Agree to disagree.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 13:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

On the contrary, it shouldn't be a thing for either genders.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 13:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

'King of Coal' Don Blankenship found guilty in deadly mine explosion

Quote:
Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship was found guilty Thursday of conspiring to violate mine safety standards.

Jurors at the U.S. District Court in Charleston, West Virginia, found him not guilty on one count of securities fraud and one count of making false statements.

Blankenship, 65, pleaded not guilty and has been free on a $5 million cash bond since being indicted by a federal grand jury in November 2014, four years after an underground explosion at the Upper Big Branch Mine in Montcoal, West Virginia, killed 29 men.

According to the indictment, the Associated Press reported, Blankenship "knew that UBB was committing hundreds of safety-law violations every year and that he had the ability to prevent most of the violations that UBB was committing. Yet he fostered and participated in an understanding that perpetuated UBB's practice of routine safety violations, in order to produce more coal, avoid the costs of following safety laws, and make more money."

While Blankenship argued that natural gas in the mine caused the explosion, four separate investigations found that unmaintained cutting equipment created a spark and ignited coal dust and methane gas.

It was the deadliest mine explosion in the U.S. since 1972, when 91 miners were killed in a fire in an Idaho silver mine, Reuters noted.

Blankenship earned his "King of Coal" moniker by transforming a once-small family business into Appalachia's largest coal producer. Under his leadership, the company took down the mineworkers union and mastered the mountaintop removal process, reducing the land to "heaps of rubble," Mother Jones reported.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-12-03 13:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed I am. I think it builds character, teaches respect and discipline. All of which our society needs. It also makes people not be nancy's as much.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 13:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

When women become disposable in a social standpoint like men are.

*AKA while you guys are fighting and killing each other, I'll stay at home and repopulate the human race when you all kill each other. *wink*
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 13:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The main barrier was the supreme court decision baring this in 80's (iirc) based on the fact that women were not allowed in combat.

It's currently being reevaluated (legally speaking)

Quote:
Update at 12:36 p.m. ET: Selective Service Registration For Women?

"That is a matter of legal dispute right now," Carter says, adding that the outcome of that process won't affect his decision.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 13:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that women wouldn't be in the selective service (or draft if that ever get's reinstated) because of their value to society is much greater than men's are.

Men are cheap and disposable. Women, not so much.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 13:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed I am. I think it builds character, teaches respect and discipline. All of which our society needs.

While I agree our society could use more of these things, I disagree that pressing everyone into military service is the best way to go about it. But still, a valid argument could be made.

It also makes people not be nancy's as much.

But then you drag chest-pounding self-aggrandizing nonsense into it. =\
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 13:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'm pretty sure that women wouldn't be in the selective service (or draft if that ever get's reinstated) because of their value to society is much greater than men's are.

There is no reason in this day an age to not have women included.

If we all of a sudden have a severe population decrease or serious infertility problems maybe that would need to be reevaluated.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-03 13:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

There were a few articles in the past couple of years pointing to an up-swing in recruitment being denied over obesity and behavioral disorders as of late.

Not that there is a correlation, but it's possible.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 13:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

should just be the best person for the job, regardless of gender or race.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 13:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

There is no reason in this day an age to not have women included.

If we all of a sudden have a severe population decrease or serious infertility problems maybe that would need to be reevaluated.
There isn't any reason for women to not have the choice to volunteer to this type of shitty work. If a lady wants to submit themselves to the type of physical, emotional, and sometimes socially draining torture, then by all means, let them join up.

To possibly force them into it? I don't agree with that. That's what the selective service is all about.
First Page 2 3 ... 1117 1118 1119 ... 1375 1376 1377