Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1002 1003 1004 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Artemicion 2015-10-02 11:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Artemicion said: »
Chicago doesn't have a gun problem; they have a gang problem.

with some of the most stringent weapon regulations in the nation...

Aye, mostly because those that have the guns do so thanks to having a puppet buyer go out to Indiana where it's super easy. Also, Chicago has lax gun laws in comparison to say New York; and I'm sure New York has it's fair share of crime to deal with. With or without guns.
By Aeyela 2015-10-02 11:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
American's ignorance on guns and their belief that they should have unfettered access 'cuz constitution' or '*** off I like guns'. Is directly tied to their egocentric attitude and their ignorance of the rest of the world.
hahahahahahahahaha

Well argued. Glad you're keeping the debate going on a strong note.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-02 11:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
you think you could disarm the entire EU and half the eastern block peacefully?

You couldn't. Just putin it out there.

lol

the USA is the same thing... we can't agree on what kind of pizza to have let alone how we feel about firearms.

so now that we've decided we can't, the next logical step would be to treat mental illness much more seriously than we do, no?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-02 11:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

American's ignorance on guns and their belief that they should have unfettered access 'cuz constitution' or '*** off I like guns'. Is directly tied to their egocentric attitude and their ignorance of the rest of the world.

condemning people you don't understand of being egocentric and ignorant? isn't that exactly what you just did?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-02 11:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I stand by my statement that in America, unlike many of the other common offenders we use as examples for countries guns are an integral part of the American culture, ramped up to sickening degrees in part by NRA worship and FEAR. Ever hear those stories about mad kings and how they become paranoid after holding power too long? That's America.

Only on Youtube can you see a grown man lick a weapon like he would a lover.

Further, the divide between rural and urban comes into play. I can see how gun culture 'works' in a rural area with lots of space, wildlife, boredom, knowing most people or personal defense. This same thing DOES NOT work in an urban sprawl of millions tucked into tiny spaces.

The urban dweller does not understand guns because he/she do not live around them and associate weapons with random acts of violent persons. Especially brown people, who have traditionally been denied the ability to own/operate/use firearms.

The rural dweller does not grasp the problem of many people in a small space tucked all armed to the teeth. If some guy cutting you off on the freeway can turn into a bare knuckle brawl or some dispute in an office can get rowdy, just imagine how this works with 8 million people walking around an urban center.

It's a daily *** bloodbath.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-10-02 11:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

you think you could disarm the entire EU and half the eastern block peacefully?

You couldn't. Just putin it out there.

lol

the USA is the same thing... we can't agree on what kind of pizza to have let alone how we feel about firearms.

so now that we've decided we can't, the next logical step would be to treat mental illness much more seriously than we do, no?

It's fair to go about this one thing at a time, but a little help in column A and column B can make a world of difference together.
As corporations would say: promote synergy!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-02 11:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Disarm Europe peacefully? Certainly possible.

History isn't on your side here unfortunately. Even recent history. I'm currently living in Warsaw and let me tell you, they do not like Russia here.

"The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children."

It will never end. The mere concept of peace when dealing with such deep rooted international vitriol is unfortunately very, very far away.

That's not to say it's impossible. Certainly, it's plausible. But to achieve that it would take an absolute seismic shift in attitudes through so many millions (potentially, billions) of people that it's in reality likely to never happen.

You know as well as I do, that the majority of people are stupid and hate filled. A dangerous, deadly combination that exacerbates any attempt at building bridges.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-10-02 11:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Ever hear those stories about mad kings and how they become paranoid after holding power too long? That's America.

Damned Arkenstone. I bet Obama is hiding it somewhere.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-02 11:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to grab guns in America just isn't feasible. Like I said, its something DEEPLY rooted into the pioneer / rural aspects of the country. It's not even worth talking about. There are so many guns floating around and so much desire for firearms you'd be war on drugs mk. IIing the place.

Like I said, we'll just have to live with a bloodbath every two weeks while waving an American flag shouting freedoms. It's not like we don't do it when people die in the low income hellholes bought and paid for by the sins of the past.

Quote:
The Sins never die, can't wash this blood off our hands
Let the world fear us all, it's just means to an end
Our salvation lies, in the Father’s sins
Beyond the truth, let me suffer now.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-02 11:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Do I need another?

Need? None. We're now just conversing. I'm curious what things you consider *** up about the UK; especially curious to see how many of my own personal check list you might tick off.
Quick list?

Futball gangs.
Piers Morgan
Susceptibility to fascist tendencies. (We have that issue too in some areas).

Keeping an extra u in a lot of words that don't need it.
Saying "holiday" instead of "vacation"
your dry humor (ok it's more of a love/hate/have my limits type deal, inb4 Nobody suspects the Spanish Inquisition.)

"Health and Safety" ('nuff said on this one?)

Things I enjoy:

*** love me some castles.
Hugh Laurie
Tony Jay (RIP)
Eddie Izzard
The rather rich culture and history, it is enjoyable.

Granted I'm just bustin' balls on most of that.

Also on that, there's a ton of *** up ***about America too, and we could go on for a long time about that, but as that's typically the center of focus on this thread...
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-02 11:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The urban dweller does not understand guns because he/she do not live around them and associate weapons with random acts of violent persons. Especially brown people, who have traditionally been denied the ability to own/operate/use firearms.

The rural dweller does not grasp the problem of many people in a small space tucked all armed to the teeth. If some guy cutting you off on the freeway can turn into a bare knuckle brawl or some dispute in an office can get rowdy, just imagine how this works with 8 million people walking around an urban center.

this is a HUGE part of the problem. having lived peacefully in bumfuck nowhere, & downtown minneapolis personally, they may as well be two separate universes. well said.

Nope. Wanna debate it?

lmao, no, but you did.

If 9/11 was 3,000 people killed by guns then we could have easily passed/banned guns in the wake of that. Inb4 shitstorm for that one.

I don't think so.

I'm willing to give ground though. Private sales (or the gunshow loophole as some of you know it) shouldn't be legal.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-02 11:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Dry humor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything the US has

At least try and live in reality Jet
By Jetackuu 2015-10-02 11:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

hahahahahahahahaha

Half of America doesn't even have a *** passport.
and? Most will never need one.

This isn't Europe.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-02 11:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Dry humor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything the US has

At least try and live in reality Jet

Matter of disagreement. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some IT Crowd and Monty Python and the other stuff to a degree, but it gets old fast.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-02 11:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

take me to europe then, ***.
By Aeyela 2015-10-02 11:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Futball gangs

Tick! It's a whole lot worse in Eastern Europe though!

Piers Morgan

No amount of apologising can ever make up for that. We truly are sorry!

Susceptibility to fascist tendencies

This really is a very small minority thankfully. Those parties always do terribly at elections, at least, and will never see a glimmer of power.

Keeping an extra u in a lot of words that don't need it.

Well it's called English not American and even the American version has English in it: American English.

Saying "holiday" instead of "vacation"

It's becoming trendy to say vacation, actually. I'm hearing it more and more these days. As is "garbage" and "sidewalk".

your dry humor

No real Brit would ever apologise for that!

"Health and Safety" ('nuff said on this one?)

'Nuff said, don't get me started. ;)

*** love me some castles.

Fun fact, only one castle was ever hit by a Nazi bomb. Seems they loved them too!

Hugh Laurie

{You're welcome}

Tony Jay (RIP)

{You're welcome}

Eddie Izzard

He's like Marmite, love him or hate him. Personally I love him too but he's quite a divisive figure.

The rather rich culture and history, it is enjoyable.

I can understand why an American would like that.

Also on that, there's a ton of *** up ***about America too, and we could go on for a long time about that, but as that's typically the center of focus on this thread...

Indeed, indeed. It is genuinely fascinating to hear people list grievances (and likes) with your country. Always good to get some perspective.

It's been a blast ladies and gentlemen, but I must away. *tips hat*

Edit: The only 'love' I feel I need to add is the NHS. Our national health service is rightfully envied across Europe and I've come to learn from people in Poland that it's one of the main reasons so many of them want to live there.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-02 12:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

9/11 was a national embarassment on the world stage.
A gun massacre every two weeks is a national exercise in status quo.

There's a difference.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-02 12:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There is something to be said for traveling and experiencing the world. As well as the exchange of ideas and information from people in different regions. Off of the internet.
Not disagreeing with that, however a lot of people just straight up can't afford a trip across the world.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-02 12:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw a post from KN many pages back but don't wanna search to quote it but it was something like "without guns crazies will still kill".
That's not entirely true. We have angsty, outcast kids here too, but they don't kill anyone cause they can't, most they would do is write depressive blog posts or maybe punch someone. Worst case is they call up friends to gang up on someone.

There's also to notice that a white weapon isn't just harder to use physically, but also psychologically. It require a physical involvement with the victim which is much more discouraging than pulling a trigger on targets at a distance, without feeling the victim under yourself.

Deaths in my country are related either to gangs, or like 99% of cases domestic violence which anyway happens worlwide with anything available, be it guns, knives, barehanded, or broccoli.

Your "freedom" to own guns is really primitive. It is not a human right, it is purely an ingrained cultural phenomenon that should just be left behind, and I'm just flabbergasted at people wanting to die for weapons. It's no coincidence people mock americans describing them as always wielding guns or chanting for war.
Primitive culture, like the Corrida, to name a banal example.

I think my stance about next to anything is well known: do whatever it takes to advance humanity. Don't care you bought that, you shouldn't have it.

I know I'm going to attract Jet's ire for this, but I can't help it, even if I know it will get me in trouble I just have to always speak my mind.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-02 12:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

"sidewalk".

wait, what's brit for sidewalk?

It's been a blast ladies and gentlemen, but I must away. *tips hat*

enjoy the weekend.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-02 12:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Europe sure does get uppity when the continent can barely go a few decades without war. You're living in the post-coital period coming off the hot n steamy romp that was two World Wars so I understand how perspectives might be skewed.

Lets quit nation bashing, it gets no one anywhere. EU has EU problems and the US has US problems.
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-02 12:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

"sidewalk".

wait, what's brit for sidewalk?

Pavement!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin