Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares Of Square Enix

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-04-18 15:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Refia1 said: »
oook i think i will turn out of this discussion, there is too much personal bias. You ignore the facts and only assume on bias, it bring net profit so there is no reason to suggest otherwise, even for an old game (there are many old online game still in function ^^) ty for the fun discussion ^^ at least we agree ffxiv wont fail also XD

You're wrong and you know it so you run away from the discussion lol
By fonewear 2014-04-18 15:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

How business works:

Create FFXI

?????

Profit
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 15:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

oook i think i will turn out of this discussion, there is too much personal bias. You ignore the facts and only assume on bias, it bring net profit so there is no reason to suggest otherwise, even for an old game (there are many old online game still in function ^^) ty for the fun discussion ^^ at least we agree ffxiv wont fail also XD

Praise the sun!
By fonewear 2014-04-18 15:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

What is step two ? Steady decline of population while saying everything is perfectly fine.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-18 16:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway as parting words, check out what THQ's (an arguably much smaller, much less venerated company with no IPs that match the luster of the name "Final Fantasy") IPs sold for at auction. Imagine what SE's will sell for (Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest...). Think about it for a while.

And while this is all just formulative conjecture, the entire thread was over by the first post, so this sort of food for thought is hardly "stupid conversation", it's more like "I'm bored, and it's fun to try to work out what will happen to some of my favorite gaming IPs if their holder goes *** up".
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 16:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Proth just laid out what I was trying to get through 2 you. If SE fails it will not be as easy to keep the games going as you think. Even Ea sports has had financial troubles and I can't remember any new IP from them that was awesome. They just rehash old content.

SE is in trouble hopefully they can pull out of it and we won't need to worry but this isn't a hypothetical because like I said In the last 2 month they lost almost 50 percent of their stock value. Add in the losses they reported last 5 years I wouldn't be shocked if they declared bankruptcy or tried to sell off the company if they could.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 16:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Also don't think XIV is perfectly safe just cause it's going very well now. The game will be in red for a while still and it's still a gamble to trust in it. If tomorrow the guys with money say that's enough we are not trusting this anymore..Yoshida has said it himself that the game is still walking on thin ice every update, they can't afford mistakes.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-18 16:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

tbh, XIV's existing debt won't be a problem to whatever company picks up Final Fantasy since the debt won't carry over to them. They'd still have to overcome the cost of acquiring and setting up the game, though.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 16:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I was speaking of the current SE now.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 16:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

That conversation is still a long way off, while SEs current outlook is bad, they still have room to turn it around, they just need to make better decisions.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 16:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

In production:
KH3
Bravely Second
Agito

All awesome stuff to me.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 16:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

All a long way off, anything else coming out this year?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 16:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully 15 does
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 16:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't expect that, E3 will tell us for sure.
 Fenrir.Wynnia
Server: Fenrir
user: Wynnia
By Fenrir.Wynnia 2014-04-18 16:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think you know what personal bias means. I'm going to make up possibly wildly inaccurate numbers just because I can.

Let's assume it costs The Random Publishing Company $100,000,000 to aquire the Final Fantasy IP. So right now, they're already $10m in the hole. Net Profit, $100m. Let's assume that after server costs, development costs, salaries, etc FFXI nets them $1,000,000 a month, or $12,000,000 a year. One year after acquisition, they're $88,000,000 in the hole. It would take them almost ten years to make a profit. If Squenix goes down, so does FFXI and FFXIV. No company is going to keep those games alive if it's going to take that long to profit.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aristippus
Server: Lakshmi
user: MrIdea
By Lakshmi.Aristippus 2014-04-18 16:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you review SE 1 Yr stock prices.
Entire yr 2013 was $11.50.
A spike in Jan 14 had $35.
Current $17.50.
Expected drop 11.50?

Rest of yr has no other title launches.
All TBA.

No mega cash launch releases..

Jan 14 launches
FFXIV port to ps4.
Dragon quest.
Gunslinger stratos 2 jp.

Feb march are dead months.

Sony is smart to uninvest in SE as they are barely breaking even.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-04-18 16:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Also don't think XIV is perfectly safe just cause it's going very well now. The game will be in red for a while still and it's still a gamble to trust in it. If tomorrow the guys with money say that's enough we are not trusting this anymore..Yoshida has said it himself that the game is still walking on thin ice every update, they can't afford mistakes.
Indeed, FFXIV will have to wait 3.0 in order to be safe, or not.

They're merely cooking a concept at the moment, and until 3.0 is out, nothing is won.

That being said, you have to take into account the fact that they are delaying (like, huge delaying) the Fantasia sales, which is hurting A LOT money wise (I don't have numbers but the Fantasia restoration requests are easily in the thousands each month). While FFXIV is 100% aimed at reimbursing their debts, they are also slacking on the maximum money they can make, there must be a reason for that (I'd like to believe that it's not pure idiocy).

I wouldn't worry about FFXI or FFXIV following this specific Sony announcement. FFXI and FFXIV have the same common enemy, which is time, FFXI is just much weaker in that aspect. Speaking of, end of fiscal year rhymes with bad news for FFXI, I wonder what it will be this time around (not that it'll bother the majority of the players still playing it).
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-04-18 16:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
2013's fiscal year ended with the company pulling in profits between 3.5 to 6.0 billion yen ($34 to 59 million), compared to losses equaling 13.7 billion yen ($135.4 million) in 2012.

Where are people getting the idea that SE is sinking now of all times?

Sony sold the stock they had because they needed money. Whenever a company has a large amount of their stocks sold, their stock price goes down a lot for a short while.

Nothing is really going to happen to SE over this, I honestly don't get where the 4 pages of baseless conjecture has come from.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 16:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

There is nothing baseless about stating that SE stock dropped as a result of this move, nor is it conjecture when saying SE has been operating at a loss for over 5 years.
[+]
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-04-18 16:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
There is nothing baseless about stating that SE stock dropped as a result of this move, nor is it conjecture when saying SE has been operating at a loss for over 5 years.

Euclids Cfinder said: »
Quote:
2013's fiscal year ended with the company pulling in profits between 3.5 to 6.0 billion yen ($34 to 59 million), compared to losses equaling 13.7 billion yen ($135.4 million) in 2012.

But hey, keep being delusional and thinking whatever you want. You always do.

Hell, I might bump this in a month or two when their stock goes back and over what it was before the sell because that's how stocks work.
[+]
 Asura.Originalkord
Server: Asura
user: rocs42
By Asura.Originalkord 2014-04-18 17:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Euclids Cfinder said: »
Quote:

Where are people getting the idea that SE is sinking now of all times?

Sony sold the stock they had because they needed money. Whenever a company has a large amount of their stocks sold, their stock price goes down a lot for a short while.

Nothing is really going to happen to SE over this, I honestly don't get where the 4 pages of baseless conjecture has come from.

You didn't know? Anyone who knows the concept "buy low, sell high" is automatically a Class A investor qualified to speculate on any hypothetical business situation that has the slightest of chances to become reality.

Obviously they're making these claims after carefully reviewing the annual reports that came with their $.50 dividends checks.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 17:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of XIV nothing short of another scrap and re-release would justify truly calling it above a 2.x.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 17:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Only one person made a dramatic statement about SE being bought off another company, we simply followed on the hypothesis to argue about the worth of FFXI.

My only realistic worry is that SE might hold back from taking risks and releasing classic-like FF titles as they promised, which would sadden me greatly.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 17:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
In terms of XIV nothing short of another scrap and re-release would justify truly calling it above a 2.x.
It's how Yoshida names it. The first expansion is gonna mark 3.0, right now it's 2.2 I think.
 Asura.Originalkord
Server: Asura
user: rocs42
By Asura.Originalkord 2014-04-18 17:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Only one person made a dramatic statement about SE being bought off another company, we simply followed on the hypothesis to argue about the worth of FFXI.

My only realistic worry is that SE might hold back from taking risks and releasing classic-like FF titles as they promised, which would sadden me greatly.

Wouldn't make a huge difference if they went under. Ultimately some other company would buy the rights, titles, intellectual property, etc. and make a splash by remaking a classic...perhaps even do a better job with it than SE would, in it's current state.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 17:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
It's how Yoshida names it. The first expansion is gonna mark 3.0, right now it's 2.2 I think.
that's silly, imo...

I imagine you can see as to why.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 17:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Feel free to post SEs fiscal reports showing where they have been in the black. I'll wait.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 17:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q3earnings.pdf
By fonewear 2014-04-18 17:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Also this:

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/130326.pdf

In view of the rapidly changing environment of the game businesses, the Company has decided to
implement major reforms and restructuring in its development policy, organizational structure, some
business models, and others. The Company expects to incur loss of approximately ¥10 billion from such
restructuring efforts to be recognized as extraordinary loss about loss from restructuring in the settlement of
the account for its fiscal year ending March 31, 2013
The extraordinary loss are composed of loss on disposal of content (approximately ¥4 billion), and loss on
evaluation of content (approximately ¥4 billion),and the other(approximately ¥2 billion).