Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 154 155 156
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-11-09 20:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Neb said: »
Valefor.Kiaru said: »
Hello I have a newbie question about SAM if anyone could be so kind as to answer:

What makes SAM good in comparison to other 2h DD's? Or, what is it's unique niche/specialty now? It was lots of TP moves and self skillchaining, but can't all DD jobs do that now and all jobs get TP super fast?

This is a question I'm asking for someone else who is brand new to the game and wants to know more about samurai.

Nothing all jobs have there merits but Play what you would like to play and ghave fun if it is not one of the bandwagon Endgame jobs that you will need to do most content (Geo, Cor, Blu, Blm, Pld, Sch, Run maybe Brd Whm) outside of those jobs they are all just for you really as they will only be played to CP and Solo stuff or have fun with friends.
Thank you for a response! I really appreciate it.

I wasn't really asking about how "strong" it was just..what makes it unique, as a job. Like a dark knight uses absorbs, has stuns, kills itself to do more damage, etc. What does a samurai do now? GKT is a super good skillchain weapon so it's really good at SCs? It can infinitely level2 skillchain over and over and infinite step a level2? It's very versatile at skillchains? Does it get lots of save TP or something? I know every job can basically solo SC now and gets TP VERY fast so that uniqueness isn't very much there anymore, and I'm curious what it's unique "flavor" is now.
 Neb
By Neb 2016-11-09 20:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello I have a newbie question about SAM if anyone could be so kind as to answer:

What makes SAM good in comparison to other 2h DD's? Or, what is it's unique niche/specialty now? It was lots of TP moves and self skillchaining, but can't all DD jobs do that now and all jobs get TP super fast?

This is a question I'm asking for someone else who is brand new to the game and wants to know more about samurai.

Nothing all jobs have there merits but Play what you would like to play and ghave fun if it is not one of the bandwagon Endgame jobs that you will need to do most content (Geo, Cor, Blu, Blm, Pld, Sch, Run maybe Brd Whm) outside of those jobs they are all just for you really as they will only be played to CP and Solo stuff or have fun with friends.
Thank you for a response! I really appreciate it.

I wasn't really asking about how "strong" it was just..what makes it unique, as a job. Like a dark knight uses absorbs, has stuns, kills itself to do more damage, etc. What does a samurai do now? GKT is a super good skillchain weapon so it's really good at SCs? It can infinitely level2 skillchain over and over and infinite step a level2? It's very versatile at skillchains? Does it get lots of save TP or something? I know every job can basically solo SC now and gets TP VERY fast so that uniqueness isn't very much there anymore, and I'm curious what it's unique "flavor" is now.

Yes it can infinitely lvl2 SC but nothing lives that long that you get off more then 3 WS lol if you are geared well. That is my favorite part of the job for sure you can easily get a 4 hit build now so WS +3 hits and you can WS again. It is basically the same unique wise as it was before.
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-11-09 20:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it can infinitely lvl2 SC but nothing lives that long that you get off more then 3 WS lol if you are geared well. That is my favorite part of the job for sure you can easily get a 4 hit build now so WS +3 hits and you can WS again. It is basically the same unique wise as it was before.
Thank you again! That sounds fantastic - exactly what my friend wanted from SAM.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-11-09 20:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends what you mean by "solo SC". If you mean 2-step, of course; every job can do that. If you mean 4-step or higher, no job can do that as consistently as SAM can, and some jobs can't even do it effectively due to needing to resort to weak weapon skills, like sword users. If you think other jobs are comparable to SAM in TP gain speed, you're absolutely wrong.

Anyway, in my opinion, SAM is in a rough spot compared to other heavy DD because a large amount of its damage depends on Overwhelm, which is often a large risk to take on some higher level NMs; obviously not as much of a factor on most mid to low level NMs, but still a defensive detriment. Access to Namas Arrow was a great benefit in the old days (Legion/Delve), but not so much anymore due to how weak it's become (I see larger numbers from Fudo than Namas even on piercing-weak mobs); still waiting on a ranged damage buff. SAM also has the luxury of now TPing in 80-100% Zanshin, allowing it to pretty much reswing on almost every non-multi-hit miss, effectively "raising its accuracy cap" for lack of a better phrase.

In addition, due to its strongest WS being single-hit, it loses a lot less WS damage when needing accuracy swaps since they really only have to account for the first, ~100 acc bonus swing landing as opposed to getting their WS set as much accuracy as their TP set as other jobs do (Shoha being an exception if using for SC purposes). Their access to having a strong Distortion/Light(Fudo), Fusion(Kaiten/Kasha), and Fragmentation(Shoha) property WSs allow it to close or open multi-steps with pretty much any job in the game. While they do have access to a Gravitation(Rana) WS, it's pretty lackluster and often only used to set up for others; thankfully they don't have to resort to it to 4-step double Light by themselves.

If Tachi: Ageha's Macc didn't blow balls, I'd say that alone would make it very much worth bringing more commonly.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-09 20:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep it on topic. Replying with image macros, memes, and whatnot doesn't go over well in guide threads.
[+]
By Mootowncow 2016-11-09 21:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I'm the person Kiaru is asking about SAM for, thank you for all the helpful responses which have helped me greatly in determining if SAM is a class I would like to pursue further, as I had leveled it to 49 for sub-job purposes but actually had fun toying around with the job abilities and since I personally find skill chaining to be one of the most interesting mechanics in the game to me.

I had figured this would be an appropriate place to ask, considering people with far more end-game and class based knowledge than myself or Kiaru would be able to provide some insight into the class, allowing me to learn more about SAM's unique strengths and weaknesses and what unique utility it can offer a group in order to be worth bringing.

Considering this is a guide thread, where discussions both for gear and class mechanics happen, I hardly see how asking such a question intended to gain more insight into the class is "shitting up" a guide thread. Being able to talk to people who have played and studied the class extensively for years is incredibly helpful and thus I appreciate the helpful responses that were given greatly. Also remember, we're discussing the class, its relevant, and it doesn't stop anyone else from asking their own question or having their own discussion, especially not nearly as much as unrelated snide comments and meme images designed to attack a user.
[+]
 Asura.Ramsy
Server: Asura
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2016-11-12 08:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have a Sam lua they wouldn't mind sharing with me?
 Asura.Ryothen
By Asura.Ryothen 2016-11-14 10:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So because of the updates to Smite this month /drk has become very interesting. I quickly leveled it and started playing around and I'm curious if others are getting the same results I am.

Apart from the very noticeable atk boost with /drk traits (Attack Bonus and Smite) it seems to me that Last Resort and Hasso haste effects are stacking. I don't have any data to back this up at the moment. I'm curious if other people have found this to be true? It never occured to me to use /drk until now.

If it is true then you could potentially rethink your leg slot when Hasso + Last Resort is up since you'd be capped JA haste.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-11-14 10:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That is true, and yes, you could swap in either Flamma Dirs +1 or Ryuo Hakama +1 depending on accuracy needs when LR is up in addition to greatly dropping required gear haste values (can't think of any swaps where this would be relevant, though, aside from Windbuffet +1). Overall it should be an increase over WAR *if you need the attack*, of course. In zerging situations, you're likely capped from all the excessive buffs going on. When doing things by yourself or low-manning NMs, /DRK may be your subjob of choice.

A couple incorrect subjob formulae found in the updated SAM spreadsheet while looking over /DRK if anyone wants to fix their spreadsheets before I get around to releasing an updated one (it's literally like 90 seconds of work, but I'm busy at the moment):
- Doesn't account for Attack Bonus II job trait
- Last Resort attack bonus is lower than the real value
- Obviously, new Smite tiers need to be updated.

May be more, but that's all I looked at at the moment.
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2016-11-14 11:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Did we ever find out how much Haste you get from Desperate Blows at 49?
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-11-14 13:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ryothen said: »
So because of the updates to Smite this month /drk has become very interesting. I quickly leveled it and started playing around and I'm curious if others are getting the same results I am.

Apart from the very noticeable atk boost with /drk traits (Attack Bonus and Smite) it seems to me that Last Resort and Hasso haste effects are stacking. I don't have any data to back this up at the moment. I'm curious if other people have found this to be true? It never occured to me to use /drk until now.

If it is true then you could potentially rethink your leg slot when Hasso + Last Resort is up since you'd be capped JA haste.

Hasso and LR do stack, that is why some drks don't merit LR for the 10% bonus and just ride hasso and LR at 15% when LR is up and Hasso/Apoc AM when LR is down.

Sylph.Braden said: »
Did we ever find out how much Haste you get from Desperate Blows at 49?

I believe even as a sub it is 15%, but not 100% since I haven't messed around with /drk since rdm/drk 75 cap.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-11-14 18:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Short test, but all that's needed to see it's at least greater than 13%. It most likely is 15%.

Haste II
Swings after 3 mins -
LR: 96
Hasso+3: 91
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2016-11-19 05:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have a solid number for STP on gear for 4 hit once you hit master? Looking at the guide on front page i cant figure out the STP count.

Using Koga btw.
 Leviathan.Dirtaru
Server: Leviathan
user: Dirtaru
By Leviathan.Dirtaru 2016-11-19 08:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Afterglowed Masamune on Friday and man is it fun. Very happy with the results so far! Couldn't figure out how to post picture here lol
[+]
By Bamboom 2016-11-22 17:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, I recently started gearing up my SAM, mainly because I got a free ilvl soboro and wanted to play around with it(it's really fun!)

I realized that I really enjoy the job and thought I'd gear it a little more seriously. However I am a super, super casual player who might not have access to a lot of stuff...

Anyways, my questions:

I managed to grab a free oboro GKT from gobby chest and was wondering if this would be the best option for now since I'm not sure the ilvl soboro can compete for events like ambuscade and whatnot. The max stats seem to be really good but not sure if it's worth it.

Here are my current gearsets:

Both Ryuo are path D
TP:
ItemSet 347813

WS:
ItemSet 347814

Right now my val pieces have DA +4 acc +30. I read that we need 70 store tp to be able to 4 hit. These val pieces I re use for my other DD class so I'm not sure if I would want re roll these to have store tp instead, or if I should hold out for something better like the ambuscade head thats TA/Store TP.

Would having a 5 step with these augs result in a huge dps loss? Is the 4 hit build what we should aim for?

Would this be enough to start doing ambuscade to get some of the gear from there?(Right now total acc of 1050+ or so with sushi) Is there an acc range that's ideal for joining PUGs?

Also, would wakido kote + 1 + ryuo hakama be better for acc?
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2016-12-01 09:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Leviathan.Sange said: »
Curious, if you are running Masamune is it better to strive for a 4 hit build (or is that even possible?) or maintain a 5-hit with higher DA/TA ratings?
It's easy to 4-hit, though a 5-hit can range from slightly worse to equal to a 4-hit depending on the situation, but that assumes you have good Valorous augs plus a DA Ambuscade cape. Anything less and you're better off just 4-hitting.

This is our current ideal base set (Obviously Nepenthe +1 is better if you don't expect to the need accuracy from Bloodrain):

ItemSet 347094

With max JP/merits and 16 STP in WS set (Bloodrain/Cibitshavore/Valorous Mail), you'll need 70 STP in your TP set, which means your Valorous Mitts in the above set would need at least 7 STP and Takaha Mantle needs 3 STP. STP augment requirements becomes less strict if you don't have/choose not to use Ryuo Sune-Ate +1(D) and instead go with Flamma +1 or Valorous. It wouldn't be a bad swap since you're not losing too much DPS, but at the same time gaining a lot of accuracy considering Ryuo+1 has none outside of the 19 DEX.

Would you consider this to be an ideal tp set for Amano as well?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-12-01 09:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

With aftermath up, you would change the STP Valorous mitts with DA Valorous, otherwise yeah.
 Cerberus.Littlewolftamer
Server: Cerberus
user: wolftamer
By Cerberus.Littlewolftamer 2016-12-03 01:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I trust a SAM guide written by Reiden instead of Oblit?!?!
[+]
 Bismarck.Norminator
Server: Bismarck
user: Hares
By Bismarck.Norminator 2016-12-05 12:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have a up to date sam lua ? I would like to cp my sam again
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Evildgnker
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Evildgnker 2016-12-06 23:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

same as norm , anybody got an up to date lua ? thanks
 Asura.Fiasko
By Asura.Fiasko 2016-12-12 09:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Who is excited to get some accuracy on Wakido Kote +2 I can't be the only one that hates empy legs for anything above t3 RuAun.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-12-12 23:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

One hell of an update.

Wakido Kabuto +3 -
DEF:135 HP+67 MP+33 STR+37 DEX+33 VIT+32 AGI+30 INT+29 MND+29 CHR+29 Accuracy+47 Attack+41 Evasion+53 Magic Evasion+63 "Magic Def. Bonus"+3 Haste+7% "Warding Circle"+1 "Meditate" duration +8 "Regain"+4

Wakido Domaru +3 -
DEF:165 HP+101 MP+54 STR+41 DEX+31 VIT+41 AGI+31 INT+31 MND+31 CHR+31 Accuracy+57 Evasion+61 Magic Evasion+73 "Magic Def. Bonus"+5 Haste+3% "Store TP"+9 Occasionally boosts TP when damaged Damage taken -8%

Wakido Kote +3 -
DEF:123 HP+50 STR+24 DEX+40 VIT+40 AGI+17 INT+20 MND+37 CHR+30 Accuracy+48 Evasion+42 Magic Evasion+46 "Magic Def. Bonus"+2 Haste+4% "Store TP"+7 "Hasso"+4 Greatly enhances effects of rice balls

Wakido Haidate +3 -
DEF:147 HP+85 STR+44 VIT+29 AGI+25 INT+37 MND+26 CHR+22 Accuracy+49 Attack+40 Ranged Attack+40 Evasion+42 Magic Evasion+95 "Magic Def. Bonus"+4 Parrying skill +19 Haste+5% "Store TP"+9 Weapon skill damage +10%

Wakido Sune-ate +3 -
DEF:105 HP+32 STR+25 DEX+28 VIT+25 AGI+42 MND+20 CHR+37 Accuracy+56 Attack+38 Ranged Accuracy+40 Ranged Attack+38 Evasion+72 Magic Evasion+95 "Magic Def. Bonus"+3 Haste+3% "Zanshin"+5 "Hasso"+2

Niqmaddu Ring -
STR+10 DEX+10 VIT+10 "Quad Attack"+3% "Subtle Blow II"+5

Dagon Breastplate -
DEF:155 HP+136 MP+59 STR+40 DEX+30 VIT+40 AGI+30 INT+30 MND+30 CHR+30 Accuracy+45 Attack+45 Evasion+60 Magic Evasion+86 "Magic Def. Bonus"+5 Haste+1% "Triple Attack"+5% "Subtle Blow II"+10 "Resist Slow"+90 Critical hit rate +4%

Knobkierrie -
Attack+23 Weapon skill damage +6%

Rice ball buff!
[+]
 Asura.Xenomorph
By Asura.Xenomorph 2016-12-12 23:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

"Knobkierrie" is that the riceball? Doesnt gear multiply the effects?? Looks like super nice potential. Gear looks amazing
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-12-12 23:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Knobkierrie is most likely an ammo. The rice ball comment was referring to Wakido hands going from "Enhances Rice Ball effects" to "'Greatly' enhances rice ball effects".
 Asura.Xenomorph
By Asura.Xenomorph 2016-12-12 23:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I wonder if riceballs could actually compete with sublime , curry , etc with those hands.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-12-12 23:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP empyrean legs, looks like the new TP set is probably AF hands/legs (and potentially feet?)
[+]
By Sensational 2016-12-13 10:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, what an update! - Dagon Breastplate & Niqmaddu Ring look sick. But that's going to stretch out our 4-hit build. Basically going to need Store TP in every slot to makeup for the loss of Empy Body.

Looks like crafters got the shaft on this update.
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 154 155 156