Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia
First Page 2 3 4
By Quiznor 2013-08-05 05:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't notice a topic around anywhere for this so decided I'd make one. Out this week outside of Japan (tomorrow,6th in the US,and Friday,9th for Europe) I'm really looking forward to this. I've loved alot of the "tales of" games and hopefully this is no exception.

I've got my collector's edition preordered :D

I've heard the US has another version available,with a different statue too?

Anyways,this thread will serve will most gaming threads,for discussions and whatnot of the game. Keep the spoilers in the tags people! :D

Not that I suspect many of us will be here till we finish it xD
 Ragnarok.Deathshift
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Deathshift 2013-08-05 05:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I am excite for tomorrow. ;]
I'm pretty sure the other edition you're thinking of is just the limited edition you get for preordering it though. It doesn't come with a statue, but it comes with like a music CD, and two DLC costumes. There was like another thing or two that I can't remember though, but no statue.
By Quiznor 2013-08-05 05:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Deathshift said: »
I am excite for tomorrow. ;]
I'm pretty sure the other edition you're thinking of is just the limited edition you get for preordering it though. It doesn't come with a statue, but it comes with like a music CD, and two DLC costumes. There was like another thing or two that I can't remember though, but no statue.

Ah,the "day 1 edition"

Here in europe the day 1 edition also comes with a weird pink case lol

By Synria 2013-08-05 05:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to choose between Xillia Collector's Edition or Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition thanks to unexpected bills popping up this month D: Sadly I wont get Xillia til October (Game month!)

Enjoy your Collector's Editions for me until I can get mine! :D
[+]
 Siren.Dilandu
Server: Siren
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2013-08-05 07:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Got the collectors edition preordered while back. Game comes out the same day as my birthday.

Elise's English voice is wtf happened, did she hit puberty? She sounds mature as any of the other female cast. I would rather pay extra for dual audio than extra ***that comes with the collectors edition.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-05 15:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I am really excited about this game!! I'm having a hard time deciding which scenario to play through first. Milla appears to be a more interesting character but from what I hear you see more of the main story with Jude, so he might be a better choice to start out with.

All of the characters appear to have interesting fighting styles. I tend to like to play healer characters so I hope that Elise can hold her own in battle, much like Cheria in Graces (although Cheria was totally broke *** OP if played properly).

Not sure how I feel about the return of TP. I hope that it is not a step backward from Graces, which I feel had by far the best combat system in the series to date.
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2013-08-05 15:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My collector's edition should be ariving Thursday /excited, I'll be doing Jude route first.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2013-08-05 17:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I preordered the Limited Edition. I regret that decision. Tried calling Gamestop a few days back seeing if I could still get the Collectors Edition, but they stopped taking orders on them 2 months ago :(
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-08-05 17:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

i forgot what version i reserved :/
By Quiznor 2013-08-06 08:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

To the NA players getting this game today

/jelly

And keep story stuff in spoilers!
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-07 02:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I love this game so far. For once in a Tales game I can say that I actually like the entire cast of playable characters. They are all interesting and loveable in one way or another, which is a nice change because I feel that a major shortcoming of many games in the series is that the characters have a tendency to be bland or just stupid and annoying (although the quality of the gameplay usually more than compensates for this).

The game is quite aesthetically pleasing. It looks very polished and some of the environments are absolutely stunning, such as the city that you start in. Even the menus and everything look very sharp.

The Lilium Orb system is fantastic and I love the element of choice it brings to developing your characters, although one shortcoming I can see is that the "customization" will flatten out towards the end of the game as people max out their grids and end up the same regardless of the choices you made.

The only real disappointment for me so far is that (as I feared) the combat system is a big step backward from Tales of Graces. It doesn't proceed nearly as fast or smoothly, and you don't have as much control over what is going on. The focus is more on just guarding attacks instead of evading them, which I feel just dumbs things down a bit. The game does reward you for evading properly but it's nearly impossible to do when there are multiple enemies, in large part because the recovery time in between your attacks is much slower, but mostly because you can only quick step forward and backward (it bothers the hell out of me that you can't quickstep sideways in this game). I really, really would have liked to see the return of the A-Arte skill tree instead of having just a few regular attacks to select from that are all practically the same. The ability to chain attacks before a spell for quicker casting was another a wonderful mechanic which sadly has not been reintroduced (although the cast times in Xillia seem pretty fast anyway). Still, it doesn't depart at all from the traditional battle system in the series which we all know and love.

Unfortunately, I also find the game pretty easy, even on Hard mode. Apparently you can't unlock the highest difficulty until beating the game. But who knows, I'm still quite close to the beginning so maybe the challenge will pick up at some point.
By Quiznor 2013-08-12 21:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Got my special edition via courier a day early (whoo,playing it thursday instead of friday)

Loving this game so far. Wont post any spoilers or progress~

As always,the skits live up to expectations in Tales of games.

Like Nezea says,it's a bit easy,and I'm also loving the level up "Lillium Orb" system. Reminds me of FFX's sphere grid,which I also loved.
 Asura.Kohanu
Server: Asura
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-08-12 21:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So a buddy of mine and I decided to play this together. We both took Friday off and played all Thursday evening, all day Friday and Saturday, and then he didn't end up wanting to get up on Sunday so I went and did something else. In that time, we put a solid 50 hours into the game, beating a number of the optional bosses (well before we were supposed to and playing on Hard the entire game) and reaching the point of no return.

So what does he do? He gets up at like 5 PM on Sunday and since I'm not around he beats almost all the rest of the optional bosses, finds the majority of the special items, and beats the last boss.

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

PS: The game is super easy on Normal, go play on Hard. There's one storyline boss that will annihilate you on Hard (at least on the route we played), but other than that it just turns it into a much nicer challenge.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2013-08-12 21:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

The skits are one of the best things about Tales games. Graces F had some hilarious skits, and not to mention just humor in general. Here's looking at you Jade, Guy, Malik. Too bad they didn't use a similar battle system like Graces F, it was probably the best Tales battle system I think.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to get this game right now, which sucks so bad since all I hear is how good the game is. Just gonna have to wait a while to get it, unless someone wants to donate to me 60$? :D

EDIT: While I like the Milla statue that came with the Collector Edition, there is an alternate version which looks much better I think.

Alter Tales of Xillia Milla Maxwell figure
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-08-12 21:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

yup, kinda easy, especially compared to vesperia, but I imagine it is because you have to play it twice to get both characters stories so it would suck if you get stuck and not finish it (?)
By applecrunch 2013-08-12 21:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to get last game I played was Tales of Vesperia.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-08-12 21:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Female lead?
By Quiznor 2013-08-12 21:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »

The skits are one of the best things about Tales games. Graces F had some hilarious skits, and not to mention just humor in general. Here's looking at you Jade, Guy, Malik. Too bad they didn't use a similar battle system like Graces F, it was probably the best Tales battle system I think.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to get this game right now, which sucks so bad since all I hear is how good the game is. Just gonna have to wait a while to get it, unless someone wants to donate to me 60$? :D

EDIT: While I like the Milla statue that came with the Collector Edition, there is an alternate version which looks much better I think.

My Milla statue from the CE.

I'm a little disappointed with it tbh. And yes,of course a statue that costs the same price as the entire CE (which included the game :P) will look better! :D

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Female lead?

1 of 2 leads to choose from,but I hear the male guy sees slightly more of the main story,even if she is the focus of the story/selling points.

applecrunch said: »
I would like to get last game I played was Tales of Vesperia.

Vesperia was a long time ago for me,whenever it was released on the 360,I think 2009 here in EU? Great game though. Either early this year or late last year I went back and restarted Tales of Symphonia on the gamecube (I had previously stopped years back) and saw that through. And just a few weeks ago restarted Tales of the Abyss (again,bought it,played a bit,something else came out,etc) and actually finished that the night before Xillia arrived. Graces F was done within 2-3 weeks of release in EU.

Great series of games,I still have some others to get through that I own,and looking forward to ToX2,as well as those 3 new Tales of games that were trademarked by namco bandai recently.

Now if you'll excuse me...

afk /wrist waiting on ports of Tales of Hearts and Tales of Innocence R to hit the west ;-;

(featured below,a picture of me waiting on those games to hit the west)
 Asura.Kohanu
Server: Asura
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-08-12 21:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really an "alternate" version, the company that made that one is called Alter. They did one for Jude as well.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2013-08-12 21:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a little disappointed with it tbh. And yes,of course a statue that costs the same price as the entire CE (which included the game :P) will look better! :D

Well people are selling the CE version(yours) for similar prices as that other one I linked, such as 90$+ for the CE version, which is almost the same price as the whole CE. I'm not sure if that Alter statue came with a CE in Japan, or if it was just sold separately though.
By Quiznor 2013-08-12 21:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well people are selling the CE version(yours) for similar prices as that other one I linked, such as 90$+ for the CE version, which is almost the same price as the whole CE. I'm not sure if that Alter statue came with a CE in Japan, or if it was just sold separately though.

Ah. I hadnt looked it up. I'll assume thats on places like ebay and the like? Not really a fair comparison :P Alter is a company that makes high quality statues,so it's likely just sold seperately (like someone already said). Obviously the CE statue is more limited,hence the increased price. For example there was only 10k CE's made for the entire EU release.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2013-08-12 22:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah. I hadnt looked it up. I'll assume thats on places like ebay and the like? Not really a fair comparison :P Alter is a company that makes high quality statues,so it's likely just sold seperately (like someone already said). Obviously the CE statue is more limited,hence the increased price. For example there was only 10k CE's made for the entire EU release.

Yeah I was talking about Ebay lol. To be fair, that Alter version is selling for average like 120$ on Ebay. And when I said alternate version, I didn't mean like you could get either or from the CE, I just meant that there was another Milla statue, and that it looked better.
By Quiznor 2013-08-12 22:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

[Understood}

I do like that better statue though >_> lol
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-13 23:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The more I play the game, the more I am realizing that Elize's Negative Gate is the most broken overpowered spell in the history of anything. It's so easy to pull together all the enemies with it, keep them locked down for as long as you please, and switch to Milla to obliterate them all with Link Artes. Not only that, but you can literally spam those link artes over and over again because casting Negative Gate just once will basically fill an entire segment of the link gauge instantly.

As if that weren't enough, the spell does a good amount of damage on its own and even inflicts terror which pretty much makes everything perma-stunned. It's just hilariously good.

Anyway, I can safely say that this game has taken over as my favorite installment in the series so far. Even though I still think the combat fails in comparison to Graces, Xillia is just so much more well rounded and better in all its other aspects. This is an absolutely incredible game, the best I've played in many years. It's just a shame that the Tales series is a bit obscure outside of Japan. I think on the whole it is a much better series than some of the more popular titles (Final Fantasy included) and I hope that one day it gets the respect it deserves.
By Quiznor 2013-08-13 23:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Gale is the most OP move I've come across so far. Its just sillu lol
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-08-13 23:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said: »
I think on the whole it is a much better series than some of the more popular titles (Final Fantasy included) and I hope that one day it gets the respect it deserves.
I kind of don't. Then they'll just be selling the name instead of quality games like a lot of other popular series.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-14 03:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
I think on the whole it is a much better series than some of the more popular titles (Final Fantasy included) and I hope that one day it gets the respect it deserves.
I kind of don't. Then they'll just be selling the name instead of quality games like a lot of other popular series.

Yeah, I can see your point there. It's true that a lot of developers seem to get lazy because they know the fanboys will buy absolutely anything as long as they slap a popular title on it. Still, I wouldn't mind at least seeing this series get popular enough that we aren't constantly left wondering whether the games will even get localized.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-08-14 12:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

Yeah, I can see your point there. It's true that a lot of developers seem to get lazy because they know the fanboys will buy absolutely anything as long as they slap a popular title on it. Still, I wouldn't mind at least seeing this series get popular enough that we aren't constantly left wondering whether the games will even get localized.
If they would just localize the ones we didn't get (vesperia port too) and put the ps ones on psn i'd be happy. Just not tales of hearts r because nobody owns a vita, give us 3ds version
By Quiznor 2013-08-14 13:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Tales of vesperia was sooooo good :D
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-08-14 13:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

it's one of three i don't own with destiny and eternia. id have gotten it if it wasn't xbox
First Page 2 3 4