Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 125 126 127 ... 188 189 190
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 12:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
You got 28 mdt in thsi set so you got some space to drop. Also don't forget odnowa earring +1 has mdt-2.

Is this for status ailment sor for nukes, because if you use that necklace you might as well also use shadow ring (for absorbing dmg)

General magic evasion/resistance. Not using shadow ring because nukes don't generally pose a large threat.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Is there any enemy in-game that poses a threat to a Master RUN with his spells?
Aside from Chainspell maybe?

Because I can't think of any. Even without runes up I've never found myself in a situation where I thought "damn, I need to reduce the damage from these spells, I'm in real danger!"
I'm probably forgetting some NM.

But usually it's more about the physical damage, breath damage or dangerous TP moves (that can also be magical damage) rather than spells cast by some NM :x

And sechs yeah, you're correct. This set here is 2887HP in town with no buffs/food, and if i recall it is around ~3500 with miso in escha zones. Which i prefer to keep my HP ceiling high because those off moments when you have some ***TP move that hits you for some stupid amount but you're not getting 1 shot with ***for HP. This is also a macro set, not what i idle in.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 12:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my standard sit and chill tank set which is 2997 HP in town, and still sitting @ 73 PDT (*also note, epeo is not finished yet so forgive my gimpness) with still plenty of magic evasion and resistance to alignments/elements with a nice parry rate (35%) while still getting 2/5 empy +3 so get some occ. absorb dmg in the mix too.

ItemSet 355596
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-21 13:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Is there any enemy in-game that poses a threat to a Master RUN with his spells?
Aside from Chainspell maybe?
Tumult Curator comes to mind. I also tried to do Sovereign Behemoth recently and his Meteors were doing as much as 1k damage to me with 50 MDT and some Turms gear equipped. Not what you'd call "threatening" maybe in normal situations, but our WHM was spending more time dead than alive so it was pretty threatening at the time.

The situations are rare but they exist. I've been looking at a MEva build myself recently for these situations, but sans ailment resistance stats and without giving up all my PDT.

Something like this (work in progress)
ItemSet 351398

Edit: I'd really like to use Yamarang instead of Staunch+1 but my MDT wouldn't be capped anymore.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 13:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, my magic evasion set is macro'd, swap on for a few seconds at a time just to minimize dmg from ***magic based moves or big nukes or whatever i feel like i need to drop some pdt for more mag evasion/resistance
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-21 13:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Something like that would be perfect for Tumult since he telegraphs his magic damage in the form of a gaggle of avatars milling around your screen for a few seconds before they pop off, less so for Sovereign Behemoth where Meteors come too fast to swap. It's a tough dilemma, which stats to favor.

Also, for those magic attacks that are telegraphed to you, don't forget about things like One For All, Liement, or Sforzo.

For Tumult, I'm currently in the process to trying to rewrite my RUN Lua so that I can cycle through 3 different elements with my runes and get better use of Liement. Right now it's kind of hard to do more than 1 element at a time.
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2017-12-21 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I priorities resistance to status ailments then PDT then MDT.
More often than not what hinders performance are Status Ailments.
There is no need to worry that much about MDT when Runes are up and you can easily make a macro for "Oh ***" moments..
A hybrid set of MEVA/PDT is what should be considered a priority.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 14:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Katriina said: »
There is no need to worry that much about MDT when Runes are up and you can easily make a macro for "Oh ***" moments..

ItemSet 355596
Swap Empy +1 legs for AF +3 and my set is -2 pdt short of what yours is (not factoring weapons), but has +13 more magic evasion over your set, and +39 resistance to all elements while still maintaining 2997 HP and not having even swapped to using an Aettier/Irenic +1 combo which would be an additional +65 magic evasion which is almost the difference of having a non-idris geo for attunement.

Edit: If tanking, you should also consider multiple sets to further minimize damage any way possible. Not just a single set.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-12-21 14:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If physical damage is a concern and Epeolatry is being used (meaning you can go further on a smaller HP pool), I think it's generally a mistake to not use Ogma's.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 15:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
If physical damage is a concern and Epeolatry is being used (meaning you can go further on a smaller HP pool), I think it's generally a mistake to not use Ogma's.

Oh for sure, this is just my "standard" tank set trying to keep things as well rounded as possible, although i do have an Ogma's cape (HP +80, eva/mag eva +20, enm +10 if i recall) done up for tanking. I just have a hard time giving up that 275 HP, well that and it hasn't crossed my mind because I'm still a few days away from finishing Epeo.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-21 15:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it: What's the point in having 3500 HP in your idle set if your fast cast set only has 2700? When I'm tanking, I'm casting and using abilities almost nonstop.

I love my Ogma's Cape with +30 meva.
[+]
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2017-12-21 15:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »

ItemSet 355596
Swap Empy +1 legs for AF +3 and my set is -2 pdt short of what yours is (not factoring weapons), but has +13 more magic evasion over your set, and +39 resistance to all elements while still maintaining 2997 HP and not having even swapped to using an Aettier/Irenic +1 combo which would be an additional +65 magic evasion which is almost the difference of having a non-idris geo for attunement.

Edit: If tanking, you should also consider multiple sets to further minimize damage any way possible. Not just a single set.

Why are you even comparing yours to mine, we operate differently approaching RUN.
Be that as it may the possibilities are endless and you can do whatever you want as long as you know how to use Runes....
No Set should be "the only one" .. and I only outlined whats mandatory for me. (learn to read)

If tanking

lol, K
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-21 15:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
The way I see it: What's the point in having 3500 HP in your idle set if your fast cast set only has 2700? When I'm tanking, I'm casting and using abilities almost nonstop.

This 100x. It's great to have high HP to absorb ***like high damaging moves (Bravado comes to mind). My High HP tanking set puts me upwards of 3500 and beyond, depending if I use Odnowa's. But as often as I'm cycling through flash/foil/and DT sets, HP fluctuates. If you have a good sch regen, it can be helpful, but I've noticed that having a benchmark high HP set is only as good for as long as you're able to stay in that set, which on RUN is not long at all.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 16:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

This 100x. It's great to have high HP to absorb ***like high damaging moves (Bravado comes to mind). My High HP tanking set puts me upwards of 3500 and beyond, depending if I use Odnowa's. But as often as I'm cycling through flash/foil/and DT sets, HP fluctuates. If you have a good sch regen, it can be helpful, but I've noticed that having a benchmark high HP set is only as good for as long as you're able to stay in that set, which on RUN is not long at all.

I don't aim to cap FC by anymeans, but my precast(2764 HP) and "Stanard Tank" set, which is my highest HP set only differentiate by about 200 HP and still puts me at 53% FC (69% when enhancing, and about ~2500 HP). When cycling ja's i do take a more substantial HP loss which is closer to 400. I've got to tweak some sets some, but still a few days until I finish Epeo so haven't updated much yet.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 16:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 355596

Why are you even comparing yours to mine, we operate differently approaching RUN.
Be that as it may the possibilities are endless and you can do whatever you want as long as you know how to use Runes....
No Set should be "the only one" .. and I only outlined whats mandatory for me. (learn to read)

If tanking

lol, K

Was literally pointing out some things to increase magic evasion while increasing a high PDT due to the fact you said you aim for resistance to status alignments and you prioritize a hybrid set.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-12-21 16:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
I think is more about resist debuffs, my run doesn't take magic dmg.
That was exactely the point fueling my question :3
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-21 19:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Really I'm just here trying to find more tested sets outside of what i currently use, especially Epeo users since i haven't finished mine yet. But thanks for all the valuable input and great discussion you heathens.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-12-21 19:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Just feel the need to say kitt keeps ANYTHING off me, even when I'm using my hate machine Gandiva. Not just standard RUN targets, but things where you'd rather have a PLD tank. If he's saying sets are solid or need some attention, listen up. And all that was pre-epeo. I know my odds of survival go way up if he's holding the mob.
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2017-12-22 02:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cute :)
Get a server! Oh wait ;)
A “tank” that can hold a mob off a RNG with Many sources of (-enmity) /clap? Idk I’d be alarmed if not..

Not that it matters but A “proper” test would be tanking with triangle of death SAM WAR DRK.. but that’s just my opinion.

The versatility of RUN sets is what makes this tanking job the most fun to play, you get to design your own play style and approach to tanking the way that is best to your group and the ability to switch up runes according to the NM’s current behavior, regardless of testimonies :)
This mentality of “Listen up” I’m epeen BS died the moment ilevel/Oseem became a thing.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-12-22 07:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a server! Oh wait ;)
A “tank” that can hold a mob off a RNG with Many sources of (-enmity) /clap? Idk I’d be alarmed if not..

Not that it matters but A “proper” test would be tanking with triangle of death SAM WAR DRK.. but that’s just my opinion.

The versatility of RUN sets is what makes this tanking job the most fun to play, you get to design your own play style and approach to tanking the way that is best to your group and the ability to switch up runes according to the NM’s current behavior, regardless of testimonies :)
This mentality of “Listen up” I’m epeen BS died the moment ilevel/Oseem became a thing.
Huh?
[+]
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2017-12-22 08:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
Huh?

Nothing much, some Levi drama brought on here :)
By Mistake..
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-22 10:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The versatility of RUN sets is what makes this tanking job the most fun to play, you get to design your own play style and approach to tanking the way that is best to your group and the ability to switch up runes according to the NM’s current behavior, regardless of testimonies
Well said! Debates about best gear for RUN always devolve into "well I prefer this over that" while another player prefers that over this.

I guess while we're sharing DT sets, this is my primary go-to set that I use when not engaged:
ItemSet 348167
(Cape is HP+60 MEva+30 Enmity+10, helm is DT-4)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-12-22 10:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a server! Oh wait ;)

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! I merely came in here to say that I've seen his sets in action, not just in hyperlink, and can vouch for their efficacy. Not everything is about you.

As for the triangle of death you mention... I'll give you drk, but I'll wager that my Gandiva AM sets which bear no regard to -enmity during Overkill will rip from a SAM any day. Especially in regard to hate spikes. But eh, thus forum isn't about DDs. Was just trying to give real world examples. Again, not everything is about you .
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-22 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The versatility of RUN sets is what makes this tanking job the most fun to play, you get to design your own play style and approach to tanking the way that is best to your group and the ability to switch up runes according to the NM’s current behavior, regardless of testimonies
Well said! Debates about best gear for RUN always devolve into "well I prefer this over that" while another player prefers that over this.

I guess while we're sharing DT sets, this is my primary go-to set that I use when not engaged:
ItemSet 348167
(Cape is HP+60 MEva+30 Enmity+10, helm is DT-4)

I've probably rolled well over 1k stones in the last week or 2 for some dt-3/4 augs on herc gear for various sets and the best I've came up with is dt -2.
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2017-12-22 11:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess while we're sharing DT sets

Firstly thanks!!
I was lucky enough to get DT4 on Hands,Head myself so I personally use this one knowing its not capping MDT but hey its a RUN after all:

ItemSet 355609

I am strongly inclined to believe that Ambuscade cape with 30 MEVA [VIT 20 or HP+60] is far superior than moonlight.

Im not an Epo user, and I know how that weapon gives a paradigm shift when playing RUN.. yet I just cant get it to negate (in current game meta) the powerfulness of Aettir!!

Maybe other Epo users can shed more light on it and give feedback on the frequency of its use vs Aettir! and [No] cost shouldn't be a factor in this "just functionality comparison please".
[+]
By Boshi 2017-12-22 11:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You have 37mdt in that set you’re well over cap even with trust shell outside of reis with no ring/ear
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-22 13:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe other Epo users can shed more light on it and give feedback on the frequency of its use vs Aettir! and [No] cost shouldn't be a factor in this "just functionality comparison please".
Aettir is boss, you can tank anything in the game with it for sure.

My 2 cents: When I got Epeo, I put Aettir into storage and never looked back. Did not miss the magic evasion all that much, surprisingly. I've never even considered using it since then. The PDT2 from Epeo is just too good to give up. I only change out of Epeo for DD.

P.S. You got more than enough MDT as long as shell is up, but your PDT is a bit light. It's 5 points shy of cap. Items like Purity Ring look good on the surface but I think they're a waste, there are other ways to gain useful amounts of magic evasion. AF+3 hands for example have 24 more magic evasion than Herc (plus more def/hp/vit/int/etc), and cost you only 3 PDT relative to DT-4 augmented Herc. That Purity Ring is costing you 7 PDT in the form of Gelatinous Ring +1 which isn't hard to get.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-22 14:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Aettir is boss, you can tank anything in the game with it for sure.

My 2 cents: When I got Epeo, I put Aettir into storage and never looked back. Did not miss the magic evasion all that much, surprisingly. I've never even considered using it since then. The PDT2 from Epeo is just too good to give up. I only change out of Epeo for DD.

P.S. You got more than enough MDT as long as shell is up, but your PDT is a bit light. It's 5 points shy of cap. Items like Purity Ring look good on the surface but I think they're a waste, there are other ways to gain useful amounts of magic evasion. AF+3 hands for example have 24 more magic evasion than Herc (plus more def/hp/vit/int/etc), and cost you only 3 PDT relative to DT-4 augmented Herc. That Purity Ring is costing you 7 PDT in the form of Gelatinous Ring +1 which isn't hard to get.

When tanking do you do full swaps to include weapons/grips? That was one of my things i was debating on when fixing up my xml once i get Epeo in the next few days. Even considered reaugmenting my zulfiquar with fc since i no longer use it for anything else, and throwing that and a vivid strap into precast set
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-22 15:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not, but it's something I've considered in the past. It sure makes things less annoying when you fight something that strips your weapon...

On the other hand, it's kinda nice when you're nearing the end of an Omen NM or something, things start going bad, and you look down and see that you're sitting on 3k TP just from having stuff beat on you. I can usually do 20k+ damage with a 3k Dimidiation when Frailty is up. Last week I popped a 24k Dimi into 69k Light on Ou, on /BLU with Miso Ramen. It may very well have saved the run (we were like 25 secs deep into his final phase and he was gonna reset).
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-12-22 15:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, i'm still on the fence about it. I've got a rule that my main/sub don't swap when using lionheart/utu, but other than that i'm thinking have epeo in pdt/hybrid builds with mensch +1, and aettier/irenic +1 in absorb/evasion builds. A lot of work yet, then to test the xml if/when i do decide to make all the changes.
By Boshi 2017-12-22 15:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

When tanking do you do full swaps to include weapons/grips? That was one of my things i was debating on when fixing up my xml once i get Epeo in the next few days. Even considered reaugmenting my zulfiquar with fc since i no longer use it for anything else, and throwing that and a vivid strap into precast set

Just a note if You do this you can also add the deacon sword for phalanx
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/20704/deacon-sword
Phal +4

I guess best offhand would be chanter shield
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/27635/
ilvl, hp+22, FC+3
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 125 126 127 ... 188 189 190