Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 114 115 116 ... 188 189 190
By Bahadir 2017-05-09 09:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Brennski said: »
WHM gets far stronger barspells
Does that apply to stats bar spells as well? As far as I know all the gear only works on elemental bar spells. But then there are merits and JP categories as well...
But its unfortunately not so common to have Whms cast status bar spells in the first place ^^,
 Asura.Brennski
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ogri
By Asura.Brennski 2017-05-09 09:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahadir said: »
Asura.Brennski said: »
WHM gets far stronger barspells
Does that apply to stats bar spells as well? As far as I know all the gear only works on elemental bar spells. But then there are merits and JP categories as well...
But its unfortunately not so common to have Whms cast status bar spells in the first place ^^,

I'm about 95% sure that applies to bar status spells as well, hopefully someone can confirm or correct me.

Any WHM worth their salt should be casting barspells before fights if not ask them to it will help everyone in the party. I've never done anything apart from old school leveling up to 75 cap and merits or Apexs where the healers haven't been casting barspells elemental and status.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-05-09 09:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
I inform the leader the character can keep hate and take reduced damage and that's it. The very basics of what a tank is invited to do.

I suppose if that's the standard you're happy with... then have at it.
He's an excellent player and knows what he's doing.
I've seen much worse 2100 RUNs playing on their main, trust me.

No way a GIN run would ever fail because of LOH's mule. If it fails, trust me it's because of someone else, not him.

Oh yeah, I forgot you ran with my mule on his first Gin run. Technically it's only going to get stronger from there, and we won without issue there.

Now, the next group I ran with with an afk geo and a war/dnc using sword/board...that was painful.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-09 09:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt pay too much attention to stacking DT in my midcast sets. Need to check that.
This is very important, but I know a lot of tanks who never cared about that and still managed to maintank the hardest NMs in game.
With this I don't wanna say it's not important, but more that it's a very complex and time-consuming task that requires a lot of situational choices and a lot of knowledge of the job.
You might want to postpone this task until you have gathered more experience.

Especially if you have capped FC gear in your precast (which is a far simpler task to achieve) the midcast DT thing is slightly less important. It becomes more vital the further away you are from the FC cap in your precast gear.

Thing is when you're midcasting, there are several different stats that are very important for a tank
1) HP => You don't want all your precast/midcast swap to lower your HP too much. Ideally you want to keep those numbers as close as possible
2) DT and general defensive stats (Meva/Def/MDB etc) => getting hit by monsters while you have values that are far away from the ones you have in your default TP tanking sets might produce very dangerous results (like you getting oneshot by a monster TP move happening at the wrong time!)
3) Haste/FC => Sometimes it's important to do your best to maximize the recast on some spells, according to your subjob and the buffs you're getting
4) Enmity => Midcasting action with enmity increases the enmity% generated by such action, which can be quite important to fulfill your role as a tank.

So, given that you only have a certain amount of slots and can't maximize everything, you need to decide which gear you want to Midcast in. It's even more complicated for some JAs/Spells that bind some slots out because of specific enhancing gear.

I'm sure you can understand from this that it's a very complex issue and there is no correct answer for every spell in every circumstance. ***it's situational, it depends on your playstyle, blahblah, it's basically some very difficult fine-tuning I'd do at the end of your RUN journey, and focus on optimizing other simpler things before you get to that.

Quote:
So far I tried to get Blink/Third eye up and then recast other buffs.
Others have said it already, but do not tank as /SAM.
I mean I imagine on some easy content you can afford that, but on stuff that matters the cooldown penalty from Seigan/Hasso is way too bad for you.
Pick other sub jobs.
There's a very detailed insight in Ruaumoko's guide or in this guide.

Quote:
Also I dont have a lot of Spell Interruption gear yet.
The problem with Spell Interrupt is that you have to keep it on midcast, not just precast. So unless a piece is good for midcast in general and it ALSO has spell interrupt, I wouldn't really focus on that.
If anything just focus on keeping Aquaveil up! XD

Quote:
So far I tended to use Embolden
As someone else already hinted, if your main concern is physical damage, try to sync your embolden with a WHM's merited Protectra5 while also equipping a Sheltered Ring.
Will give a very nice boost in Defense! Plus the default duration of Protect is usually so high that the emboldened bonus will last for the whole duration of the majority (all?) of fights.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2017-05-09 09:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

war/dnc using sword/board
Don't be giving Aza any ideas now
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-05-09 10:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I second everything Sechs said. Especially:

Thing is when you're midcasting, there are several different stats that are very important for a tank
1) HP => You don't want all your precast/midcast swap to lower your HP too much. Ideally you want to keep those numbers as close as possible
HP is the one I've been struggling with lately. My HP without food/buffs I believe is just shy of 2800 currently, but in fast cast gear it's like 2650 and most of my midcast are in that territory too.

So at this point I'm down to losing no more than about 150 HP in any of my swaps, but it's still a lot of HP to lose every time I cast a spell which I'm basically doing nonstop most of the time. Fast cast & Spell Interrupt were the two builds I especially had to tweak to get the HP up. I even went so far as to augment HP+50 on my Taeon Tabard and use Dyes for a total of HP+80 on my fast cast Ogma's Cape.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-05-09 12:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

/SAM has its place. Not in Ambu VD, but there is certainly high level content where it's arguably optimal.
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-05-09 14:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
war/dnc using sword/board
Don't be giving Aza any ideas now

I know what im using next run!
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-05-09 18:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
/SAM has its place. Not in Ambu VD, but there is certainly high level content where it's arguably optimal.

I've been using /SAM for VD Ambu this month and just riding Hasso the whole time. I normally go /DRK but didn't want the defense down from Last Resort. If you turtle up on the MB, then switch to a hybrid set for everything else, you can get away with /SAM. Also probably depends on your how well your WHM is so that you don't have to /BLU.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-05-10 01:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Turms Cap
DEF:115 HP+79 STR+21 DEX+37 VIT+20 AGI+38 INT+20 MND+20 CHR+28 Accuracy+40 Evasion+84 Magic Evasion+99 "Magic Def. Bonus"+6 Haste+6% "Regen"+6 "Regain"+4

Turms Cap +1
DEF:125 HP+94 STR+21 DEX+42 VIT+20 AGI+43 INT+20 MND+20 CHR+28 Accuracy+50 Evasion+94 Magic Evasion+109 "Magic Def. Bonus"+7 Haste+6% "Regen"+7 "Regain"+5

Turms Harness
DEF:145 HP+114 STR+25 DEX+42 VIT+24 AGI+39 INT+23 MND+23 CHR+29 Accuracy+42 Evasion+88 Magic Evasion+118 "Magic Def. Bonus"+8 Haste+4% "Store TP"+9 "Regen"+8

Turms Harness +1
DEF:155 HP+129 STR+25 DEX+47 VIT+24 AGI+44 INT+23 MND+23 CHR+29 Accuracy+52 Evasion+98 Magic Evasion+128 "Magic Def. Bonus"+9 Haste+4% "Store TP"+12 "Regen"+9

Turms Mittens
DEF:103 HP+59 STR+12 DEX+46 VIT+32 INT+15 MND+30 CHR+23 Accuracy+39 Evasion+70 Magic Evasion+91 "Magic Def. Bonus"+4 Haste+4% "Regen"+5 Parry: Recover HP+75

Turms Mittens +1
DEF:113 HP+74 STR+12 DEX+51 VIT+32 AGI+5 INT+15 MND+30 CHR+23 Accuracy+49 Evasion+80 Magic Evasion+101 "Magic Def. Bonus"+5 Haste+4% "Regen"+6 Parry: Recover HP+100

Turms Subligar
DEF:127 HP+107 STR+30 VIT+16 AGI+32 INT+30 MND+17 CHR+17 Accuracy+41 Evasion+74 Magic Evasion+137 "Magic Def. Bonus"+8 Haste+9% "Regen"+7 Critical hit rate +6%

Turms Subligar +1
DEF:137 HP+122 STR+30 DEX+5 VIT+16 AGI+37 INT+30 MND+17 CHR+17 Accuracy+51 Evasion+84 Magic Evasion+147 "Magic Def. Bonus"+9 Haste+9% "Regen"+8 Critical hit rate +8%

Turms Leggings
DEF:85 HP+61 STR+14 DEX+34 VIT+12 AGI+48 MND+12 CHR+38 Accuracy+38 Evasion+109 Magic Evasion+137 "Magic Def. Bonus"+6 Haste+3% "Inquartata"+4 "Regen"+4

Turms Leggings +1
DEF:95 HP+76 STR+14 DEX+39 VIT+12 AGI+53 MND+12 CHR+38 Accuracy+48 Evasion+119 Magic Evasion+147 "Magic Def. Bonus"+7 Haste+3% "Inquartata"+5 "Regen"+5

Whole set is good for idle gear (especially that headpiece) and possesses notably high HP/meva, but the standouts are obviously the hands and feet. Baseline parry rate on RUN is now 44% with full gifts and all three Inquartata pieces, 46% if you have HQ feet.
By Bahadir 2017-05-10 03:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So...so......do I read that correctly? Does this let us recover 75/100HP everytime we parry? Srsly?
Thats insane haha
Oh well....Im disappointed that the Nin gear is crappy but this actually looks interesting. Need to change my sets to squeeze Feet and hands in somehow.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-10 03:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh well....Im disappointed that the Nin gear is crappy
It's not crappy at all? °-°

Anyway squeezing both feet AND hands in the same set AND capping 50% is require tough choices.
Max I can think of without those slots and without back (because clearly you want Ogma in there) is 49%

... / Refined+1 / ... / Staunch
Herc / Loricate+1 / ... / ...
body / ... / Dark / Defending
Ogma / Flume / Erilaz+1 / ...

HQ staunch gets you at 50.
Alternatively using Vocane looks bloody perfect.
Alternatively you can use Mensch Grip but that's just PDT and lose HP from refined.
Could also put a Genmei Earring in there but with so many good earrings that would such a shame :'(
Herc head requires 4-5% PDT (according to the options in your other slots) and body can be Futhark+1 or ideally Ashera Harness.
Can't think of anything else but I'd welcome other people to add stuff I forgot about.

This also means a loss of enmity from feet/body and a reduction in the AF3 set bonus (which is icing on the cake anyway, nothing vital)

Speaking of hands I dunno about them.
They sound bloody insane in situations against multiple targets with you engaged, but against a single target I'm not sure I'd want to use them, I'd probably still favor other options.
But against multiple targets, supposing there is no internal cooldown, those hands do look indeed pretty awesome.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-10 03:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair even in situations against multiple targets what the hands do is heal you, which is gonna be very nice for all those situations where your healer is dead or when you have another non-healer job healing you, or when you have no healer at all.

But in all the other situations where it's fine for you to rely on a real healer? In those situations I think I'd still prefer other setups allowing me to boost my enmity/debuff/whatever resistances further, compared to getting healed for each parry I perform.

I don't have such concerns for Feet for instance, that Inquartata is gonna be awesome no matter what, if you can adjust your tanking set to cap PDT without using the feet slot.
By Ruaumoko 2017-05-10 04:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Epeolatry (25%)
Refined Grip +1 (3%)
Staunch Tathlum (2%)
Loricate Torque +1 (6%)
Defending Ring (10%)
Vocane Ring (7%)
Erilaz Leg Guards +1 (7%)
Flume Belt (4%)

39% PDT/DT not counting the Epeolatry and assuming no Herc Helm.
Epeolatry more than pushes it over.
 Asura.Ganno
user: ganon8413
By Asura.Ganno 2017-05-10 04:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair even in situations against multiple targets what the hands do is heal you

That's exactly the situation where those hands could shine.
NM with adds( a few T4s Reisen) , or massive pulls ( Omen non-boss floors?)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-10 04:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Epeolatry (25%)
Refined Grip +1 (3%)
Staunch Tathlum (2%)
Loricate Torque +1 (6%)
Defending Ring (10%)
Vocane Ring (7%)
Erilaz Leg Guards +1 (7%)
Flume Belt (4%)

39% PDT/DT not counting the Epeolatry and assuming no Herc Helm.
Epeolatry more than pushes it over.
With Vocane Ring you don't need Herc helm with 5% PDT, can use other 4% PDT options, there's a few not relying on random augments systems.
People with Vocane ring gonna love these new options!

Keep in mind using Turms hands/feet would leave you at 25% haste, so a bit below the cap, but I doubt this would have a big impact on tanking anyway.

Asura.Ganno said: »
To be fair even in situations against multiple targets what the hands do is heal you

That's exactly the situation where those hands could shine.
NM with adds( a few T4s Reisen) , or massive pulls ( Omen non-boss floors?)
I agree, it's what I said. Those hands are potentially awesome in situations with multiple targets attacking you.
But my point is... what do you do with all that healing?
In hindsight if you're in a scenario where you're getting healed and you're not risking to die because of lack of healing, I would still prefer boosting other stats (resist rate? Meva? Enmity?) over making the healer's job more trivial.

It's a different story for setups where you don't have a proper healer, some people seem to like those setups, and hands are gonna rock there, especially for Epe users.

More in detail checking vs the three different hands I currently use in my tanking sets:
Turms vs Erilaz+1 => kinda moot. Turms doesn't have the resist+, but it has so much higher meva that in the end it will probably provide higher resistance regardless.
Turms vs Kurys => more meva/mdb still, more HP, no enmity, no DT.
Turms vs Herc (DT aug) => more meva/mdb again, but no TA, no PDT/DT

Biggest point of using Herc would be allowing you to use a nonDT body (erilaz+1) but given how the PDT>MP is not vital and the Enmity Retention effect is hard to evaluate, I'd say Turms still win.

tl;dr
I kinda just contradicted myself.
I didn't see Turms being that game-changing given how the Parry>Heal effect is surely cool but not necessary in situations with a real healer.
After seeing the rest of the Turms stats though (meva, eva, mdb, hp etc) I'd say they still win over the other options.
[+]
 Asura.Ganno
By Asura.Ganno 2017-05-10 04:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Erilaz hands dont put you immune to debuffs.
Turms hands put you immune to damage.
Thats how i feel it.
Healers can just focus onto buff/debuff RUNs.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-10 05:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats how i feel it.
I don't agree with that.
If healer has just to focus on buff/debuff why even bring a main healer at all? Just have other jobs /WHM or /SCH handle it.

Which is exactely what some people do already, and for those scenario I already said Turms would be bloody insane.

But if you are bringing a WHM, why let him stay idle and do nothing but buff/debuff? What is that gonna do to you as a tank or to the alliance success rate into killing a monster?

But still, as I said before, I changed my mind because I forgot to notice THE OTHER STATS Turms have.
Even without considering the Parry>HP, Turms still have very good stats, arguably better than the other 3 options I'm currently using that I listed above.
So yeah, Turms Hands ftw.
[+]
 Asura.Ganno
By Asura.Ganno 2017-05-10 06:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But if you are bringing a WHM, why let him stay idle and do nothing but buff/debuff? What is that gonna do to you as a tank or to the alliance success rate into killing a monster?

no more excuses for the healer to let DDs die because tank is main cure priority! DRKs got their dedicated healer now , souleater spam weee
[+]
 Sylph.Parshias
user: Parshias
By Sylph.Parshias 2017-05-10 07:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats how i feel it.
I don't agree with that.
If healer has just to focus on buff/debuff why even bring a main healer at all? Just have other jobs /WHM or /SCH handle it.

It can create flexibility in party set up if you're working with an alliance. My LS has run into issues lately in Omen where we really want a WHM in the melee party for Curaga to handle the big AoE moves from the bosses, but then also want a WHM in the tank party for just regular healing and status cures. So who knows, maybe with the new gear we could have just the one WHM looking after the melees while a GEO or BRD subs WHM and removes the tank's status effects.

Also when looking at gear don't forget Gelatinous Ring +1 for 7% PDT if you picked a ring other than Vocane.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-10 07:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Parshias said: »
Also when looking at gear don't forget Gelatinous Ring +1 for 7% PDT if you picked a ring other than Vocane.
Unless you lack a 5/5 Dark ring I don't think the swap is gonna be worth it, if you ask me.

Could also get an additional 2% PDT from Genmei Earring, or an additional 2% PDT from Mensch+1 over Refined+1.
Neither sounds like a very solid option to me because you're giving up more interesting stuff in those slots =/

At that point I'd rather stand with the current options but at 49%, like Ganno hinted a few posts ago.

Also let's not forget while in Escha zones we get an additional 3% DT, so there's that for those zones at least.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
user: SathQuetz
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-05-10 09:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

sTP+12 on the body, lmao.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-05-10 09:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Using hands/feet for tanking idle doesn't preclude using other gear when taking big hits. It's not an either/or situation, you can get the best of both worlds.
[+]
 Sylph.Parshias
user: Parshias
By Sylph.Parshias 2017-05-10 09:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Using hands/feet for tanking idle doesn't preclude using other gear when taking big hits. It's not an either/or situation, you can get the best of both worlds.

Sure, but then you'd have to pay attention. Nobody wants to do that!
 Asura.Blitzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2017-05-14 14:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have a lua with SI coding? Or a simple code for the gear?
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-05-15 01:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I just have it for specific spells. Such as BLU enmnity spells and aquaveil Darkness
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-05-15 12:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sathicus said: »
       if state.Runes.value == 'Ignis (Fire)' then
                Name = 'Ignis'
                Element = 'Fire'
                ResistEle = 'Ice'
                ResistAilment = 'Paralyze'

function display_current_job_state(eventArgs)
    if state.Runes.value ~= 'None' then
        add_to_chat(8,'--- Rune: '.. state.Runes.value ..': --- Resist Element: ' .. ResistEle ..' --- Resist Ailments: '.. ResistAilment ..' ')
    end
end

Any chance you could post a link to the full LUA? I've been trying (and failing) to do something like this.

EDIT: dlsmd helped me out with it over on BG. Here is the relevant code
Code
state.Runes = M{['description']='Runes', "Ignis", "Gelus", "Flabra", "Tellus", "Sulpor", "Unda", "Lux", "Tenebrae"}
Code
function job_self_command(cmdParams, eventArgs)
    if cmdParams[2] then
        local Chat_add = {
            --a is the rune name / b is the resistance type / c is the damage type
            Ignis={a="Gelus",b="Wind",c="Ice"},Gelus={a="Flabra",b="Earth",c="Wind"},
            Flabra={a="Tellus",b="Lightning",c="Earth"},Tellus={a="Sulpor",b="Water",c="Lightning"},
            Sulpor={a="Unda",b="Fire",c="Water"},Unda={a="LUX",b="Dark",c="Light"},
            Lux={a="Tenebrae",b="Light",c="Dark"},Tenebrae={a="Ignis",b="Ice",c="Fire"}
		}
        local temp = Chat_add[state.Runes.value]
        add_to_chat(122,"Runes is now ".. temp.a .." - "..temp.b.." Resistance and "..temp.c.." Damage")
    end

if cmdParams[1]:lower() == 'rune' then
        send_command('@input /ja '..state.Runes.value..' <me>')
    end
end

You can set the Runes directly with a macro like: /console gs c set Runes Ignis

Or you can Cycle the runes: /console gs c cycle Runes

and /console gs c Rune will fire whichever rune you have set.

I am using Motes, but I imagine you could do something similar without using motes includes etc.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-05-20 22:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious what you guys tend to value in regard to magic evasion vs. ailment resistance?

I'm working on a build for tanking ailment-heavy stuff like Kyou or Albumen, since I just finished Runeist's Trousers +3. It's a work in progress:

ItemSet 351398

The two Herc pieces have DT-4 on them.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to utilize Erilaz Gauntlets +1. They have no PDT whatsoever... I would need to do something like Flume+1 if I wanted to use them. In fact, I'd still be 1 PDT shy with Flume+1. I end up losing 30+ magic evasion to gain 6 resistance to all ailments.

Magic evasion seems stronger on paper, but if my magic evasion is floored then it won't exactly be helping. Still, in my experience RUN is very strong at resisting ailments even against high-level NMs. I'm thinking the magic evasion pays off and Erilaz Gauntlets +1 are useless.

Thoughts?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-05-20 23:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

For Kyou it should be much easier to reach meva to avoid his debuffs, so I'd favor meva there. For Albumen it would depend on vex/attune or no, if you have vex/attune, you can likely reach things with meva, if not, I'd favor straight status ailment resistance.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-05-20 23:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally you should carry both. Fall back on +resist when you feel you don't have enough meva or otherwise benefit more from resist procs, use meva otherwise.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 114 115 116 ... 188 189 190