New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 88 89 90 ... 262 263 264
By Pantafernando 2015-02-14 12:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Yankke said: »
Been wonder WTF u can steal from mobs this days... and whats the current steal sets!?

You can steal minor mats from mobs, and currency from dynamis beastman.

Dont know a current set for steal, but here we go all steal+ pieces i got from bg:

ItemSet 333346

The real best use of steal is with aura steal merited (even 1 is enough), so it works as a good dispel source for thfs. As some people said, fighting mobs like the unity bird from cape terrigan, you can dispel his feather barrier with aura steal. With 5/5 you have a higher chance to absorb the effect dispelled, and you can consider using plunderer bonnet +1 to absorb up to 2 status effect. A reminder, you cant steal materials and dispel at same time.

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Empyrean hands dont have a use right now right?

No for ws because the extra bonus from raider armlet just add to the separated term of dex/agi in a sa/ta attack.

In other words, the extra 20% dex/agi arent multiplied by ftp, but only by pdif. For example, you have 300 dex in your sa set. 20% is extra 60 dex for sneack attack. This 60 will be multiplier by pdif (3,25) resulting in extra 195 dmg for your sa. Now compare with aetosaur gloves+1 thats 38 dex. The extra 30 dex will contribute with 30*0,8*6*3,25+30*3,25 = 565, thats for a ws at 1000 and no moonshade. At 3000 tp, the total is 1618 while the extra 195 from bonus raiders will remain the same, because its not multiplied by http://ftp.

Finally, if youre doing only simple sa, in this case the 195 from raiders bonus will beat the 30*3,25 = 97 from aeto gloves, but in this case i would recomend using plunderer armlets for at least an extra chance for th proc.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-02-14 13:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

For the Cape Terrigan Unity bird (and all other big birds, or anything that uses an evasion boost), you can use Feint or Distract to prevent/overwrite the effect of Feather Barrier, similar to how a strong form of Slow prevents/overwrites Haste. There's definitely a tier aspect in relation to what will overwrites from Haste/Slow, so I would wager there may also be such tiering for stat boosts/debuffs.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-02-14 16:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm
Hard to reach 11 without overcapping.
I have dw4 cape, suppa, sombra+1, patnetia and shetal
-I could shetal+suppa to cap and use a diff mantle like bleating
-Use canny cape(4) and suppa to get 9 and use windbuffet and iuitl+1 legs.
-I use canny patentia and suppa with iuitl+1 and have 14dw detrimental but gain some stp back from patentia

Decisions :/
By Pantafernando 2015-02-14 16:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm
Hard to reach 11 without overcapping.
I have dw4 cape, suppa, sombra+1, patnetia and shetal
-I could shetal+suppa to cap and use a diff mantle like bleating
-Use canny cape(4) and suppa to get 9 and use windbuffet and iuitl+1 legs.
-I use canny patentia and suppa with iuitl+1 and have 14dw detrimental but gain some stp back from patentia

Decisions :/

My soreadsheet said, while dw is the most important stats, supose you have cape dw4 or dw5, the remaining 2 dw does not pay off to change. Thats, giving up 8 att and 5 stp for shetal for a single dw is a loss in total. Windbuffet option is giving up 11 stp (6 from tripudio and 5 from patentia.

So, in the end, the highest i found was, for canny cape dw4 or 5, leave alone the total dw for 9 or 10, but maintain tripudio earring and patentia. For canny cape dw3 dw2 or dw1, you can go to suppa instead tripudio.

(Thats, suposing you have the tripudio. I didnt check how would be the second best without tripudio).
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-02-14 17:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

With a DW4 cape I'm getting Cape/Dudgeon+Heartseeker as your best choice. Also, I don't really care about THF all that much, but I was fiddling around with spreadsheet and for Tojil with my group's usual buffs (Dia4/Frailty/Fury/Chaos/Samurai(62stp)/Boost-DEX/Haste/Double March+5/Double Mad+5) I was getting:

Izhi/Jugo+1/X/Ginsen
Felistris/Asperity/Dudg/Heart
Relic119(No Ambush)/Nomk+1/Rajas/Epona
Canny(DW4+Crit2%)/Wind+1/AF119*/Relic119

as the best set under that situation if anyone wants to share results.

*Depending on Samurai Roll value, AF119 would trade spots with unaugmented Iuitl+1 occasionally, but the majority of the time I had Af119 pulling ahead (even with no Samurai Roll at all)

Edit: Actually have Quiahuiz with STR aug coming out ahead of both of those options. Without STR (for those that may have put on DEX, MND or something else) it falls behind.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-02-14 17:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

There's definitely a certain sweetspot between stats like crit rate, crit damage, store TP, multi attacks, and attack (all of which is warped again if you have Vajra). This is all assuming your accuracy and attack speed are capped, of course. Part of it plays into what you can afford, or what augments you luck out with on some gear. For the most part, though, most of these variances are pretty minor and I personally wouldn't go worrying about collecting every last piece of gear for every last possible situation. The pieces that shine the most tend to be the ones covering a variety of stats, even if they don't have the highest value in a certain area.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-02-14 18:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So capped haste= Dudgeon/Heartseeker/DW4 cape/WB+1 belt
Solo no haste= Dudgeon/Heartseeker/DW4 cape/Sombra+1 tights/Patentia

Is that right? Wondering about when if ever I should use Suppa/Brutal, or Brutal/Tripudio as said a few posts up. Or go with the +9DW and use Tripudio?
By Pantafernando 2015-02-14 18:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So capped haste= Dudgeon/Heartseeker/DW4 cape/WB+1 belt
Solo no haste= Dudgeon/Heartseeker/DW4 cape/Sombra+1 tights/Patentia

Is that right? Wondering about when if ever I should use Suppa/Brutal, or Brutal/Tripudio as said a few posts up. Or go with the +9DW and use Tripudio?

For solo, the more dw, the better, respecting the haste in gear.

For buffed situations, It depends what point of stats youre. My case was in a relatively low buffed tojil run with only brd buffing. In that situation i had pdif 1 (so attack is very relevant) and my set had considerably low stp (27 iirc) so more stp had a higher relevance.

Llewelyn case had cor + geo plus dia debuff i didnt use so its safe to say his case hes very close to pdif capped, so more attack wouldnt contribute much. As well sam rolls that should result in a stp total of around 80. So i guess that scenario extra stp lose its importance, so that patentia 8 att and 5 stp plus tripudio 5 stp 6 att lose to windbuffet multi attack + capping dw.

So it really depend. I believe stats have diminish returns, the more you got from one, the extra amount added wont contribute proportionally.
By Pantafernando 2015-02-14 19:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
For the Cape Terrigan Unity bird (and all other big birds, or anything that uses an evasion boost), you can use Feint or Distract to prevent/overwrite the effect of Feather Barrier, similar to how a strong form of Slow prevents/overwrites Haste. There's definitely a tier aspect in relation to what will overwrites from Haste/Slow, so I would wager there may also be such tiering for stat boosts/debuffs.

Overwriting slow for haste is trickier, i think. While i cant overwrite slow from dynamis mob, i was doing a couple of aa hume D, i managed to overwrite easily slow from hojo even recently aplied with same haste.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-02-14 20:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a tier thing, like Haste 1 prevents/overwrites Slow 1, and most sources of slow from monster WSs like from demons, crawlers, etc. Hojo: Ni is weaker than Slow 2, also, so Haste will overpower it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-02-15 04:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually forgot to check those. I do have them coming out slightly ahead in my above scenario, but a little behind STR Quiahuiz/Iuitl+1 in a low buff fodder situation, so it'll vary (like everything else it seems) depending on the little things and what you usually find yourself doing on THF. Overall I wouldn't look down on a THF using them.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-02-15 11:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't find a situation in which they beat unaugmented Iuitl+1 when I was looking, I imagine the situation exists like if you are doing Rudras at 1000 TP instead of 1750. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them though.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-02-15 12:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just conjecture, but I believe the reason Llewelyn had them winning was due to the massive STP granted by Samurai's roll. I would assume with the large bonus from the roll that the 10 STP loss from Zoar over Iuitl wouldn't be a large factor and the bonus multi-attack would be quite a boon.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-02-15 12:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
I imagine the situation exists like if you are doing Rudras at 1000 TP instead of 1750
I have it set to 1750
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-02-15 13:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I fiddled around with legs a bit more just to try and see when which leg beats others, but it seemed hard for anything to beat Zoar+1 for whatever reason. There are many cases where if you had augments on your Iuitl +1 they'd pull ahead of Zoar, though.

Difference in gear between Haste Samba up and down is I used Brutal/Suppa/DW4 canny for down and Brutal/Tripudio/Bleating for up. I'm not sure why I now have Brutal/Suppa pulling ahead of Dudg/Heart when it wasn't that way before for me, but whatever.

My shitty notepad notes; didn't use Samurai Roll to appeal to the majority:

Still don't quite know what small difference it is that makes Iuitl and Zoar switch around. For example in the first comparison, in the Haste Samba down set, Zoar > Iuitl lowers your hits needed to reach 1750 TP by 3 and Zoar+1 comes ahead. However, in the Haste Samba down set, Zoar > Iuitl is lowering hits needed by only 2, yet Iuitl pulls ahead. Doesn't quite make sense to me; DW jobs are annoying. Overall I think if you have Attack, Crit rate or DA on your Iuitl legs, I'd just go with those.
 Bismarck.Ryugi
Server: Bismarck
user: Ryug1
By Bismarck.Ryugi 2015-02-15 14:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What path are you guys doing for Manibozho brais?
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-02-15 14:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Path A works best.
 Phoenix.Darkspawn
Server: Phoenix
user: Tphantom
By Phoenix.Darkspawn 2015-02-15 14:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

since i just got back to game, basically the DD sets arestill the same as 6 month ago, only new is rudra's?
By Pantafernando 2015-02-15 15:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darkspawn said: »
since i just got back to game, basically the DD sets arestill the same as 6 month ago, only new is rudra's?

I think the new gear relevant for thf that apoeared in the last 6 month is mostly jugo kukri. The rest are just side grades/best in specific situation. Maybe emet harmness for a hybrid pdt/acc set, and sombra gear, with sombra tights being the only dw leg slot option for thf, and can figure in best set for solo/dynamis/salvage situations. Requires 55 jp used in thfs categories though.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-02-15 15:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The mug job points will actually be kinda decent at 30/30. With a good build, you'll probably get about 750-800ish HP drain every 5min which is kinda cool cuz it deals damage i think and i dont think it can be resisted?

To be honest mug should have always dealt damage because:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mug

Should be like a Spirit Jump-esque attack, deals critical damage based on main hand with a dex/agi modifer(but gives no TP) and steals gil if the mob has. That way it's not a useless ability on 98% of the game's mobs. Despoil could do the same, crit damage but steals a bit of TP.
 Shiva.Cziella
Server: Shiva
user: Rumors
By Shiva.Cziella 2015-02-15 16:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Mug is on a 15mins timer, can be resisted and undead monsters are immune to the drain effect.
By Davorin 2015-02-15 18:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Cziella said: »
Mug is on a 15mins timer, can be resisted and undead monsters are immune to the drain effect.

Mug has a 5 minute recast. Also, what is resisted? We know mug can miss and it can get us varying amounts of gil when applicable, but isn't the HP drained a static 5% of the modifier? I don't have any job points in mug to test myself. -.-;
By Ulthakptah 2015-02-16 14:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The drain on mug never misses and as far as I can tell can't be resisted.

Anyway I'm having an interesting field problem that may be relevant for tp sets. With capped magic haste and the Jugo +1 I build tp so fast I'm getting 3000 tp before my SA/TA timers are up, and I stagger them so when one is halfway charged I use the other. Would it be better to use them closer together and throw out an unstacked Rudra's? Or maybe focus less on tp building, and add to my white damage?
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-02-16 15:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
The drain on mug never misses and as far as I can tell can't be resisted.

Anyway I'm having an interesting field problem that may be relevant for tp sets. With capped magic haste and the Jugo +1 I build tp so fast I'm getting 3000 tp before my SA/TA timers are up, and I stagger them so when one is halfway charged I use the other. Would it be better to use them closer together and throw out an unstacked Rudra's? Or maybe focus less on tp building, and add to my white damage?

If you are overflowing that badly, do an unstacked one at 1kish tp so timers are ready when you have 2kish TP or whatever.
Rudra ftp is 6/15/19.5 , after 2ktp the ftp increase starts to drop off anyways.

THF get too obsessed with being only the skillchain closer or doing stacked ws.

I see a lot of THF sitting on 3k waiting on timers and yell at them to ws more often, other party member have less opportunity to make skillchain damage contributions if THF sit on 3k tp waiting on timer, and insist on doing nothing but being the stacked ws closer.
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2015-02-16 18:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... idk maybe I shouldn't worry about it. That has only happened in delve 1 so far. That's not really a place I need to worry about being super optimized. My LS already tears through those mobs like wet tissue paper. Places like delve 2, and incursion I can't imagine having that high of an overflow.
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2015-02-17 04:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh but you do overflow in incursion too. 4 songs and cor and geo buffs, acc set and sushi, at 133 it's easy to do 2 stacked 2k+ tp ws and 1-2 unstacked 2kish tp ws as well.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2015-02-17 16:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Did some evasion testing today in my old evasion set (never done anything unity or got new gear yet) and attacked some mobs that check as very tough to a lvl 119. I was suprised to find that even with no buffs, and linking 2 mobs, thief evasion was able to super tanking them/kill them without taking any damage lol

Makes me wonder if BCNM NM have extreme acc for ~+20 levels above the level SE states or something; misleading and annoying lol. Set had 1010 evasion.

YouTube Video Placeholder

If you're talking about the high-tier bcnms in the pre-adoulin areas,
remember that they all have that level correction thingy and mobs in adoulin doesn't

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 88 89 90 ... 262 263 264