First Page 2 3 4
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 06:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently working on coding a database that will handle the huge amounts of content involved with Final Fantasy 14. Obviously, the hype from E3 has died down a little so news has slowed; which gives me and a few friends of mine the oppurtunity to start on our project.

We're going to be making a site akin to 'zam and Wiki that will catalogue the entire contents of the game in a user friendly way and offer people guides and walkthroughs to help them in the new online world Square has in store for us. We plan on focusing more on the interactive aspect of being a part of these games, rather than monotinously archiving every tiny detail like the main two sites currently online for Eleven.

I was proposed with the task of finding some fellow players who're interested in being a part of our team, and I thought "Where better to ask than FFXIAH?". There's scores of friendly, helpful people at this community and it's the perfect place to ask.

So, essentially, we're looking for about 5-15 people to help us on this. Right now, we're only assembling our staff team, as there's little or no content to actually manage. But in the future, when FF14 is released and the content needs covering, that will change. If you're interested in helping with this project and being a part of it, please PM me and we can have a chat!

Any contributions will be welcomed whole heartedly, because the amount of content that will have to be managed will be staggering when Fourteen is released. PM away if you'd like to contribute in anyway, or want a permanent position on our staff team.

I'm not going to link, as just linking to somebody's news site a few times pissed a lot of people off. PM me if you want further details.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from people, I know I can count on some of you guys. :)
[+]
 Garuda.Wuuuuudum
By Garuda.Wuuuuudum 2009-06-08 08:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump!
 Garuda.Tyfoon
user: TYF00N
By Garuda.Tyfoon 2009-06-08 08:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

isnt it better to postpone this till the game actualy comes out?
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 08:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

When the game is released, I'd like to focus on enjoying the game and filling the database with information as it's discovered by playing the game. The preperations and development for something of this scale will probably take several months. That's why I'm trying to organise the team and make the necessary developments now so we have plenty of time to prepare.

I understand this might be pre-emptive, but I plan to have the site fully functioning before the release. Gives us more time to establish ourselves and to ensure it's all working fine.
[+]
 Garuda.Wuuuuudum
By Garuda.Wuuuuudum 2009-06-08 08:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Another bump!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean something like this http://wiki.eorzeapedia.com/Main_Page but with a name that people will actually remember and that doesn't have a *** like Charitwo sitting on his high horse thinking he owns the place?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That sort of site, yes, but with more interactive features that will actually make browsing it fun, not just necessary to find the answer to a quest.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if the FFXIAH people will be doing their thing with IV? Hell, maybe SE will actually do it themselves this time (lol).

Also, why is your mule Italian?
 Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-06-08 09:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I wonder if the FFXIAH people will be doing their thing with IV? Hell, maybe SE will actually do it themselves this time (lol).

; ; Blaaaaaaazza.....; ;
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

I'd worry for this site's sake that they might. There is no denying the usability this site offers every player of Final Fantasy 11.

Blazza said:

Because my mule is from Italy.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 09:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

O.oa Why would I want browsing a site to be 'fun'? We'll have FFXIVAH for the forums and such like this site. And we'll have wiki for information (even though that Fusionx guy is a moron and can't spell). Then there's that other site with a bit of info as well. And I'm sure there'll be Alla's site for it as well.

Do we 'really' need ANOTHER site for it?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Savannah said:
Blazza said:

; ; Blaaaaaaazza.....; ;

'ello darlin'. Sorry I haven't been around much, these forums esploded and so I really just couldn't be bothered trying to keep up any more, on top of that I have about a thousand hours work of homework to do within about the next 500 hours (3 weeks), I will also require at least 150 hours of sleep in that time...

So yeah, I'm busy, I'll catch up with everyone soon though I'm sure ^^
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-06-08 09:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Savannah said:

; ; Blaaaaaaazza.....; ;

'ello darlin'. Sorry I haven't been around much, these forums esploded and so I really just couldn't be bothered trying to keep up any more, on top of that I have about a thousand hours work of homework to do within about the next 500 hours (3 weeks), I will also require at least 150 hours of sleep in that time...

So yeah, I'm busy, I'll catch up with everyone soon though I'm sure ^^

you better ; ;
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
O.oa Why would I want browsing a site to be 'fun'? We'll have FFXIVAH for the forums and such like this site. And we'll have wiki for information (even though that Fusionx guy is a moron and can't spell). Then there's that other site with a bit of info as well. And I'm sure there'll be Alla's site for it as well.

So because they have sites, nobody else should make sites to rival them? Those sites are not that spectacular, to be honest. The only reason Wikipedia is the "best" resource is because there isn't anything better. It's not a well made site, it's ugly to look at, and if it wasn't for the community contributing, it wouldn't be half as detailed as it is.

So yeah, on this subject, I think new sites are a good thing. And why would you want browsing a site to be fun? That question doesn't really need answering. It answers itself in the question.

I have several excellent ideas for making it more enjoyable, being part of a community where millions of people are playing a game should be a fun experience. What pleasure do we honestly get out of browsing Wikipedia? I would tell you some of the ideas, but I wouldn't want to let on in case somebody beats me to the punch.

In these early stages, that'd be quite likely.

I thank you for the feedback Tbest, I am not expecting everyone to jump at the idea of a completely new site being the best. Regardless of Wikipedia's content or administration, they run a very good resource for players. But, for the reasons I outlined above, and because I know I can make a better site with help, we're going to work on this.

You can either watch at the sidelines and hope I'm wrong, or you can join us and become part of something excellent. Choice is yours!
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

I'm sure we need it more than we ever need your opinion on anything, which is not at all but we're forced to read it anyway, so props to Woooo for trying to make it enjoyable, which is much more than can be said about anything you ever say.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-06-08 09:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/rule/manner03.html?pageID=manner
Blazza said:

http://www.ffxivah.com/

Scragg was all over it the second XIV was announced. xD
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 09:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiki is good BECAUSE it is a wiki and has the community contributing. A site with 5-15 people doing EVERYTHING on the site is NOT good imo. I've done wiki's with small teams for other games and it's not good tbh. If you want to make a site that's "better" than wiki, make another wiki.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Wiki is good BECAUSE it is a wiki and has the community contributing. A site with 5-15 people doing EVERYTHING on the site is NOT good imo. I've done wiki's with small teams for other games and it's not good tbh. If you want to make a site that's "better" than wiki, make another wiki.

You did not read the original post very well. I am looking for staff to help me construct the site and its framework, to have it ready for release. I am not expecting these people to do everything from now until the end of Final Fantasy 14.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 09:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you say it 'will change'. But like I said, if you want a good site, make a wiki.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Blazza said:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/rule/manner03.html?pageID=manner
lol @ you for thinking I give a ***about the ToS of FFXI when I'm not even talking in FFXI, I can slag Wooooo as much as I damn well please here, ***, I can kill his dog and cut off his left testicle and SE still can't kick me for it (the police might have something say about it though).

But seriously, how is it offensive to ask someone who I know to be British (ie. not Italy) why his mule (imaginary character) is Italian?

Eternaltriumph said:
Blazza said:

http://www.ffxivah.com/

Scragg was all over it the second XIV was announced. xD

Woo Scragg, there's nothing to say that he'll even be able to pull all the data like they do here (don't ask me, I'm no techie), but I like this line at the bottom "Square-Enix owns all this stuff and has a copyright and junk"

In other news; Tbest, shut up already.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Yeah, you say it 'will change'. But like I said, if you want a good site, make a wiki.

Outside of the pages being publically editable, it doesn't provide anything. No, we will make a better system than that. I never thought the Wiki software was a good choice for a Final Fantasy 11 site.

This is precisely what I'm referring to, though. Wiki is by far not the best choice software for a game like Final Fantasy 11, but because there isn't better sites, everyone thinks it's the best.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just want to say thank you to the people who have PM'd me so far. It's very encouraging!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 09:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiki's are the best sites for anything regarding information tbh.

Good luck creating something better though.

The content of a site of a site with a limited number of contributors will, imo, be considerably less than that of a wiki where anyone can contribute.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 09:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Woooo, if you can keep a site up-to-date with the avalanches of data that we all know are going to be hitting you, then props to you, and I'll pick you over the wiki. I'd love to help you, but that's just not gonna happen with my schedule (I'll contribute here and there if it IS a wiki).

I'm also going to stop polluting your thread now, keep us posted on this site closer to the date (which I'm hoping isn't until around December next year or hopefully even get pushed back a little into 2011).

PS. Sav, love the new Avvy ^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Wiki's are the best sites for anything regarding information tbh.

Good luck creating something better though.

The content of a site of a site with a limited number of contributors will, imo, be considerably less than that of a wiki where anyone can contribute.

FF11 is not information, it's data. There is a difference. Only the sections explaining quests is actual "information". The biggest drawback of Wiki is that everything is on a standalone page. Asides from the categories, there's not much that really links similar items together.

For example, if you used a custom driven system that had all the armour stored in databases, you could sort every hand piece equippable by BLM by Level, and then view them by this sorting. You can't do this with Wikipedia and that is it's biggest drawback. People on Wikipedia (Again, note: people, not the admins) have done a good job of making pages that do this, but it's sad that it's not done by default.

With all of this information customisable on the user's end, it gives them more time to enjoy the game, browse around the site and enjoy the features we have planned, or go back to the game sooner. People won't have to bother writing those pages because it'll be done automatically.

It's our plan to make registered users capable of editing pages, I couldn't possibly hope that even a staff team of 100 could make the most accurate site. I think the one thing that really makes FFXIClopedia the site it is is the user input. Without that, it'd be nothing.
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-06-08 09:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

PS. Sav, love the new Avvy ^^

*^_^* muchas gracias! *^_^*
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 09:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said previously, that's what makes any wiki the site it is... As for the 'sorting' bit, that's why we have FFXIAH. Yeah, we have various pages where the items are all added in manually on wiki... But, with FFXIAH you can easily search for gear that you want by several variables and then see which are on AH / how much they are and which are rare/ex.

I personally like the current setup and the interaction between FFXIAH and FFXICLOPEDIA.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P The current system works well for everyone's needs. And I'm sure when FFXIV is released, the current system will continue to work well for everyone.

Another site will only split the community and make both sites less powerful than they should be.
But... Perhaps that's what you want. Perhaps your goal is not just to stroke your e-peen by saying you're the admin of a community site, but also to try to reduce the potential of the already created FFXIV wiki.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 09:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Another site will only split the community and make both sites less powerful than they should be.
But... Perhaps that's what you want. Perhaps your goal is not just to stroke your e-peen by saying you're the admin of a community site, but also to try to reduce the potential of the already created FFXIV wiki.

I think you could do with growing up slightly. If you honestly have nothing constructive to say, perhaps you shouldn't say anything. I don't mind criticism of any nature, because it helps me improve; but that's just unnecessary and uncalled for.

Unlike you, apparently, not everybody is solely concerned about what they're getting out of something. I have been making sites for years and gotten nothing in exchange, nor have I ever used them as a means to "flaunt my e-peen".

If you can only think this way, then I pity you. But other people do make things for others because they enjoy doing so. Too bad if your shallow personality can't accept it.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 09:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm...
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-08 09:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like you want something more like Somepage.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4