Forum » FFXIV » General » Need Your Help: FF14 Project
Need Your Help: FF14 Project
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 10:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooo, he's one of the most negative douche bags on these forums, just ignore him.

On the subject of gear sorting, I don't know if it's still running because it was a very virus/trojan/bug ridden site, but ffxi somepage had the best gear sorting features I've seen to date (FFXIAH is okay, but still not great for comparing say, the best HP piece in a certain slot)
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 10:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said those were your intentions. I merely speculated that they might lie along those lines. It's pretty common knowledge that Charitwo is not liked after all. I, for one, don't like him either. lol

But... I'm not going to try to drive traffic from his site simply because I dislike him.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 10:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually would go for a site better than wiki, wiki for me takes forever to load up on some pc's I use. If you made something like KI, Alla, etc. then ya would be good.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
I never said those were your intentions. I merely speculated that they might lie along those lines. It's pretty common knowledge that Charitwo is not liked after all. I, for one, don't like him either. lol

Then perhaps you should read through your posts and consider how you'd react. You certainly said that, whether you think you meant to or not.

Somepage would be a good comparison, but I'd categorise that in the "monotinously archiving every tiny detail" that I was referring to in the first post. Something that provides the information, tells you how to do a quest, allows you to customise what you're browsing, all whilst providing interactive, enjoyable features is what this community has needed.

I was going to be doing this with Final Fantasy 11 a few months ago, but now that Final Fantasy 14 has been announced, that seems kind of pointless.

Anyhow, another PM, so thank you to those who're oferring their assistance. It's really good to see how many people are interested. Keep the PM's coming!
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-08 10:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, any site where a core group of people "run a site with an iron fist" is fail.

I hate the wiki format as much as the next guy (I don't know why the *** such a counter-intuitive language has taken off like it has) but allowing the entire community to participate is a must for something of this nature.

Just my opinion, is all.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-06-08 10:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I though the entire site established Tbest to be someone you let talk and ignore the vast amounts of useless information spewed out his fingertips?

Anyway Wooooooodmang. I'm no good with technical PC stuff, but I plan to be a day one PS3 player. If you are geared towards walkthroughs and whatnot, I'll be happy to assist. Like I said, day one player and I plan to be a crash dummy exploring areas. xD
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 10:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also... If you can create a site 'better' than wiki... A site that has all the content that wiki would have and leave no reason for me to use wiki...
Sure, I'd use it. I'd even recommend to others that they use it.

But... I very highly doubt that it can be done.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
But... I very highly doubt that it can be done.

Is there any particular reason why? I could maybe learn from your reasoning and avoid doing, or do, whatever it is you think.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-08 10:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Is there any particular reason why? I could maybe learn from your reasoning and avoid doing, or do, whatever it is you think.

The wiki format makes it all but impossible for you to have more information. The only thing you can do is provide different ways to access that information.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 10:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I be a Boss on there :)?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
The wiki format makes it all but impossible for you to have more information. The only thing you can do is provide different ways to access that information.

I don't really see how. The wiki only has so much information as people add to it, and the information is coming from the game, so the information available is whatever comes from the game.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:

Nothing I'd love more Alyria!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 10:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Alyria said:

Nothing I'd love more Alyria!

Woot! And I'd help you too :) Gives me another new hobby :P
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 10:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think it's a good idea. From what I've gathered in my reading you're looking for a more structured page while attempting to keep if fun and simple.

In all honesty the bashing on his new ideas for a site is childish. If you don't like it don't visit the site. Woo obviously isn't aiming for an audience who is already set in their ways.

Everything has to start from the same place: an idea. Where he goes with his idea we have yet to see. Perhaps he will change the way we view gaming sites forever, or perhaps it will flop and never see the light of day. What happens is up to him and his team he is looking to build.

So, good luck to you Woo. I'm not computer savvy enough to assist in an endeavor like this, but I give you my support. Best of luck. ^^;
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 10:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:

Yeah... That's "exactly" what a site striving to be better than wiki needs...

Baelorn said:
Wooooodum said:

Apparently he's trying to make a "wiki clone" where people can edit information, but 'also' include a search engine similar to Somepage/FFXIAH to compare items. And then have some form of 'interactivity' to make the site 'fun' to browse.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-08 10:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
I don't really see how. The wiki only has so much information as people add to it, and the information is coming from the game, so the information available is whatever comes from the game.

That's exactly the point though. Assuming the FFXIV wiki is updated as frequently as the current wiki it will have all available information pertaining to the game plus user guides/testimonials/etc. You can match the amount of information to a certain point depending on the format of your site but you'll never surpass it unless you can find a way to keep game-related information from being posted on the wiki.

Again, this is going off of the very little information we have about your site format at this point.

edit: grammar
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 10:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest I'd suggest you just lay off the thread if his idea is going to be a butthurt for you. It's an idea and people are willing to help.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
That's exactly the point though. Assuming the FFXIV wiki is updated as frequently as the current wiki it will have all available information pertaining to the game plus user guides/testimonials/etc. You can match the amount of information to a certain point depending on the format of your site but you'll never surpass it unless you can find a way to keep game-related information from being posted on the wiki.

Again, this is going off of the very little information we have about your site format at this point.

edit: grammar

Ah, right, sorry I misunderstood your post. Yeah, that's true, you are correct on that point. Perhaps how it's displayed will be the key to seperating a site of this nature apart from its competitors. I've never liked how the Wiki looks (the default skin is 'bleh', to put it nicely), nor how the information is displayed. It just seems too formal, as if they're trying to seem professional. I don't think a site for an MMORPG should be like that.

It's supposed to be fun. Whether or not we pull this off remains to be seen, though. I'm sure we will though.

Thank you for the kind post, Yakutatazu, your support means a lot.

As for Tbest... Well, if this idea is really that painful to you, I would suggest you either make your own site to your liking, or continue to use Wiki if that's what you think is the better format. Your continued pessimism is not going to stop us, so you are only wasting your time.

If you'd throw me a bone and constructively tell me how I could improve our idea, I'd be all for it.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 10:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

*Shrugs.* I prefer the 'professional' look as you put it. Which is a big area where we differ. I don't "want" a site that looks like it's made by fans and is "fun". lol Wiki is there for a singular purpose imo, and that is to provide the community with the best site for information regarding an online game.

And like I've said, as for content, I don't believe you can improve upon wiki. Yes, I realize that's not "really" your intent to improve upon that area of what's already there. That you're attempting a more 'user friendly' site.

One thing that 'could' possibly be improved upon however... Is the search function of wiki.

Generally, if I want an item I'm either being directed there from FFXIAH (because I'm here browsing all day at work. lol) or searching for it directly.
I like the auto-complete that's been added to wiki, but often times it is a little slow in its activation. (This could be because I'm running FFXI x2, Firefox, etc. etc. at the same time though.)
Also, adding more tags to items or a more 'intuitive' search feature similar to Google's would benefit.
Both could help those whose spelling is less than spectacular. (I admit, while I pride myself on spelling and grammar... I 'have' misspelled item names before. :P)

And Alyria... Why don't you go do something useful like deleting Filielle's nonsensical posts or all of the spam "+1" posts.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 10:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
*Shrugs.* I prefer the 'professional' look as you put it. Which is a big area where we differ. I don't "want" a site that looks like it's made by fans and is "fun". lol Wiki is there for a singular purpose imo, and that is to provide the community with the best site for information regarding an online game.

I believe you're either misreading what I am saying, or deliberately trying to put words in my mouth. Either way, let's agree to disagree. Thank you for the feedback, Tbest.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 10:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest grow up. You've stated your points. You do realize whenever you say the word "best" that it is something called an opinion? You seem to strive to make everyone agree with you b/c only your opinion can be right.

You said something almost constructive there though, but it was surrounded by stuff that makes you look like an ***.

On topic though, I agree with the current Wiki being very bland. I like professional looks, but Wiki isn't that professional. It's only an 'ok' site to me, I only go there for data quickly and leave quickly.

If Woo were to make a site that draws you in deeper to dwell in it's depths that would be awesome imo. I think there is a hint of that here on FFXIAH, there is much more than just data/records. If FFXIAH was like that then I would only pull up the page for a few seconds and then close it. But instead I tend to spend a minute or two looking around before going back to the game or rl activities.
[+]
 Fenrir.Parak
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-06-08 10:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Random question... Are there going to be tarutaru in FFXIV? I didn't see any in that trailer they showed at E3. I will be depressed if there isn't
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 11:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

http://tinyurl.com/mfwy5h If you look at that picture you can see what looks like a Tarutaru, just to the right of the person with blonde hair in the foreground. Definitely looks like a Taru to me, but they won't be "tarus".
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 11:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

When are you planning on launching this past the idea stage?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 11:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakutatazu said:
Tbest grow up. You've stated your points. You do realize whenever you say the word "best" that it is something called an opinion? You seem to strive to make everyone agree with you b/c only your opinion can be right.

You said something almost constructive there though, but it was surrounded by stuff that makes you look like an ***.

On topic though, I agree with the current Wiki being very bland. I like professional looks, but Wiki isn't that professional. It's only an 'ok' site to me, I only go there for data quickly and leave quickly.

If Woo were to make a site that draws you in deeper to dwell in it's depths that would be awesome imo. I think there is a hint of that here on FFXIAH, there is much more than just data/records. If FFXIAH was like that then I would only pull up the page for a few seconds and then close it. But instead I tend to spend a minute or two looking around before going back to the game or rl activities.

Yaku... lol I know you have issues with me that go beyond my posts here, try to keep that separate from the topic at hand, please. =)

Yes, I do realize when I say "best" that it's an opinion. Many would agree that my opinion concern wiki is correct though. I don't believe that any site available (Alla/KI/Somepage/etc.) matches Wiki's when it comes to information regarding FFXI.

Thanks for pointing out that I may look like an *** from what I posted. lol Fortunately, I don't care one way or the other. =)

In regards to the 'drawing you deeper into the site'... Is that something we 'really' want? I think of a site like wiki as useful for information and occasionally a way to kill time at work with the never-ending quiz. Even FFXIAH is only used when I need to look up an item's price/availability while playing or killing time while soaking up money at work.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 11:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakutatazu said:
When are you planning on launching this past the idea stage?

I would not like to set a time until it's more or less complete, but it's being constructed as of yesterday. I'm currently working on the frame of the site. When it's finished and working properly, I'll add some Final Fantasy 11 information in to give people an idea of how it will work.

And Tbest, billions of people believe in the Bible, but that doesn't make it the best religion.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 11:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
And Tbest, billions of people believe in the Bible, but that doesn't make it the best religion.

Interesting attempt at an analogy there. Since when does Bible = religion? The Bible in all of its various forms is probably the best 'resource' concerning Christianity in most Christians' views.
It's interesting you'd bring religion into this discussion though... I'm sure that's not where you want this thread to go. Imo however... The Bible is nothing more than a decent collection of stories.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 11:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Yaku... lol I know you have issues with me that go beyond my posts here, try to keep that separate from the topic at hand, please. =)

In all honestly my personal 'issues' with you have nothing to do with my posts here. I only stated at what you said, had someone else said it I would have replied the same. Your posts in this thread are all negative, he isn't advertising his page (yet), he is only asking for people interested in helping him to PM him or post helpful information. If I wanted to 'flame' you I'd post else where.

In regards to the 'drawing you deeper into the site' thing.. It's not suppose to be what you go there looking for, it's what you end up doing once there. Using this site as an example again, no one originally comes here to do gear searches or the such. They come here for the AH sales, then after spending a little time here they are drawn in. That's what I meant, it's intended by the mods not by the visitors.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 11:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think regardless of your opinion on the style of manner of operation Woo's site is taking, competition is almost always better because either way it will force Woo's and other's FF14 sites to improve to become the FFXIV site. With that said I'm still mulling it over, but am totally considering dropping a PM to hop on board, I'm just unsure of how much time I'll actually be able to commit to it since it's so far down the road. I only know a little HTML, CSS and java so I can't say I'd be a huge help currently, either. lol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 11:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Interesting attempt at an analogy there. Since when does Bible = religion? The Bible in all of its various forms is probably the best 'resource' concerning Christianity in most Christians' views.
It's interesting you'd bring religion into this discussion though... I'm sure that's not where you want this thread to go. Imo however... The Bible is nothing more than a decent collection of stories.

You are correct, I have no interest in a debate of that manner. It was merely a powerful way of saying "Just because lots of people think something, doesn't make it true."

Caiyuo, as little or as much as you could contribute would make all the difference. :)