users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
First Page 2 3 ... 166 167 168 ... 224 225 226
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-24 17:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
3 deaths in my first 2 hours. I feel like I'm playing Demons' Souls for the first time.

Really loving what I've seen so far!
I was going to keep track of how many times I've died, but the game just captured my attention too much that I forgot, and had no regrets.

I imagine it's over 50 by now.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-03-24 17:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

First death: Weapon bounced off a statue that was behind me and couldn't retaliate in time.

Hunter Axe is pretty awesome so far.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-24 18:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using the axe, I just got a new weapon but I haven't tried transitioning to it yet, I literally just bought it before leaving for work this morning. It's a hammer / sword thing.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-03-24 20:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm probably going to cave in and buy this game tomorrow X_x

should i download or grab the disc? D:
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-03-24 22:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

First boss down in 3 attempts. Currently exploring. Found a new generic (no lore importance, that is) armor set.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-24 22:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

</3 :<!!!!!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-03-24 22:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I took the first boss down in my first attempt.

Second boss, however..it reminded me of my Capra Demon experience. Basically it forced me to learn a game mechanic and use it properly (in Capra Demon's case, it was rather me not paying attention to Poise, which made dogs able to herald my attempts to head to the stairs as soon as I walk in).
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-03-24 22:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
</3 :<!!!!!
Accidentally learned how to kill the boss super easy during my second attempt, but I get derpy and got smashed. Final attempt was a cake walk.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-24 23:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just glad I'm having so much fun. I love struggling in a souls game.
[+]
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
Server: Cerberus
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2015-03-24 23:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So who tried killing dudes with their fists before finding out how to get the first weapons lol. I was seriously hoping they'd drop their hatchet or something
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-24 23:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm super obsessed with talking with everyone, so I found my weapons easily.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-25 02:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

WORTH IT.

Took 5 hours.... well over 50 attempts
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 04:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still iffy about making the plunge into Bloodborne, I think I'm using the 40 second death time as an excuse now, which I guess will be patched in the near future.

I'm very much down to just KH2.5HD for PS3 games I still play right now (big apologies to DS2).
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-25 04:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd highly recommend it, even with the load times. It isn't 40 sec either, but it does vary depending on how complex the area you're trying to load is.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-03-25 04:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

ill be picking up bloodborne soon as i can, looks a lot better than DS2

also does anyone else get redirected to onedrive every time they open this thread or is it just me
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 04:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd highly recommend it, even with the load times. It isn't 40 sec either, but it does vary depending on how complex the area you're trying to load is.
Still need to buy a PS4!
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 04:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

also does anyone else get redirected to onedrive every time they open this thread or is it just me
Just you I think.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-03-25 05:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

just you afraik.

I've been watching people play this game on twitch all day while doing maths X_x.

I just want to say, I've never had so much fun watching somebody play a game before. So many moment's where i was clenching my own butt with the person playing xD. gdi i want this game lol.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-25 05:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, it's a true Souls game. Really nice to see that Miyazaki hasn't lost his touch when it comes to great gameplay. I'm not sure about any lore yet, but, the statues look amazing.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 05:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, it's a true Souls game. Really nice to see that Miyazaki hasn't lost his touch when it comes to great gameplay. I'm not sure about any lore yet, but, the statues look amazing.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-03-25 06:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Any of you guys been invaded yet? Or try coop?
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-25 07:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That moment playing Dark Souls 1, going through Undead Burg, defeating the Taurus Demon, and crossing the bridge with the scary dragon to find a ladder back to your bonfire. Such a great moment.

That moment is all of Bloodborne. >_>
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-03-25 07:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried coop once in the water/sewege area before the second boss. It was my first time visiting the area so I was going at my snail's pace, exploring everything, while the guy was hurrying ahead and killing stuff, till I received a message that he died (he might've gotten bored with my pace and just suicided).

I also tried to find a partner for the second boss, but I spent like 2 hours waiting..till I remembered that there was a Network setting, and I had it set to Local..and it was kinda late at night in my area.

In any case, I won't try inviting players again on my first playthrough. It takes away a lot from the first-time experience (which is what a Souls game to me is mostly about). I just felt like trying using the bell and checking how co-op works.
As for the second boss, he seemed too hard and I didn't want to waste my precious 10k BE..which eventually happened. Which in turn made my subsequent attempts at him be in "nothing-to-lose" mode, felt quite good :P
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-25 07:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

well... I don't think I've ever had a death quite like that before.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I went back to check that door, it was locked anyways.
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-03-25 08:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

well... I don't think I've ever had a death quite like that before.

I went back to check that door, it was locked anyways.
So that's what that portal is! Had that open when I went to pick up some items. Ran away like a little girl scared. Then nothing happened and the portal vanished.

Btw for Coop you can actually organize who you get. Wanna play with only your friends? Set your password up in the network options. Then you will only summon people with the same password.

I have no idea how being summoned works though only how summoning works.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-25 09:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll say it again, as I have said it on other threads, I really want them to make a Souls style MMO in the near future.

Anyway, back to the actual topic...

So far this game is everything I expected it to be. Its great. I may have made a mistake picking one of the harder weapon combination (The pistol + Saw combo). I have found that I am a bit out of practice when it comes to Souls games as I haven't played since DS1, so it is taking some time to get used to. That being said, there is an easy way to improve quickly in Bloodborne.

There is a large enemy in the back of the alley near the gate in Central Yharnam that uses a Giant Sword that looks like a butcher's Knife. This enemy can destroy you with just a couple of hits or one of his finishers. If you circle around and open the gate you can get back to the original lamp. This provides you with access to both the lamp and a hard enemy to practice on.

What I started doing was walking over and fighting him again and again to improve my mechanics/timing using the circle button. This is also a nice way to farm blood essence quickly so you can buy your armor and upgrade weapons in Hunter's Dream.

I would recommend doing this a few times to the point where you are comfortable dodging enemy attacks before going to fight the Werewolves guarding the first boss.
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-03-25 09:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using the Blunderbuss and Sawblade combo.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 09:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How similar is Bloodborne to a souls game anyway? In Souls games I was always methodically just shifting around a fight surviving while I wait for an opening but I hear Bloodborne is faster paced and actually does more to punish cautious fighters.

I remember the first fight that threw me out of my comfort zone in Dark Souls was against Knight Artorias just because he was a much more aggressive fighter than I was used to.
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-03-25 10:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taidis said: »
How similar is Bloodborne to a souls game anyway? In Souls games I was always methodically just shifting around a fight surviving while I wait for an opening but I hear Bloodborne is faster paced and actually does more to punish cautious fighters.

I remember the first fight that threw me out of my comfort zone in Dark Souls was against Knight Artorias just because he was a much more aggressive fighter than I was used to.
No shields. Already tossed me out of my comfort zone.

If you take damage you have a small moment to deal damage and life steal back a decent portion. Thus promoting attacking.

Enemies are more pretty aggressive compared to Dark Souls II. So you gotta be more aggressive when you get damaged to heal back up.
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
By Ohji Lunartail 2015-03-25 10:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

WORTH IT.

Took 5 hours.... well over 50 attempts
yea i was watchin your stream last night. musta passed out before ya killed this lol
First Page 2 3 ... 166 167 168 ... 224 225 226