Winter Is Coming: "A Game Of Thrones" HBO Series

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Winter is coming: "A Game of Thrones" HBO Series
Winter is coming: "A Game of Thrones" HBO Series
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 19 20 21
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 14:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Oh something that viewers of the show may have not understood: you see when they arrive at the Twins they all eat bread and salt, that's a Westeros tradition called law of hospitality, which means once you share bread and salt with the host no harm can be made to you. So that was supposed to show the amount of dickery of the Freys for making them believe they were safe and then infringing a sacred law.
Maybe he didn't feel the need to honor any vows or sacred law since Robb didn't honor his vow to him when he pledged himself to marry one of the guy's kids... something along the lines of your word means nothing so you're not entitled to the respect... while it was pretty shady I get it...

I liked Robb and he started off strong but then he really just started to dig his own grave...
[+]
By Blazed1979 2013-06-04 14:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You're anticipating too much, that's all material for next season.

and with that I reach 666 posts.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-04 14:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
That's obviously for the next season...last episode will be about SPOILER BELOW

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-04 14:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They need a cliffhanger though, like when Sam met the whitewalkers at the end of last season. So I thought maybe they would just show her for a moment and boom, end!
By Blazed1979 2013-06-04 14:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
That's obviously for the next season...last episode will be about SPOILER BELOW

Probably right now that you point it out. Well at least there will probably be plenty of excitement in season 4. Just have to wait 8 bloody months.

EDIT - @ Seha: you're right, that would be a major cliffhanger and keep people speculating for months. or they might read the books lol.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-04 14:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Which they should be doing anyway.
[+]
 Bismarck.Fatmike
Server: Bismarck
user: Fatmike
By Bismarck.Fatmike 2013-06-04 14:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Which book?

A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45 (Catelyn V)

The "contract" where he signs that Jon is his heir though is probably lost, and all witnesses are dead except Roose Bolton, which obviously has no interest in disclosing this. Which leaves Bran, but he's hidden with Rickon pretending to be dead. So, whilst Jon is the rightful heir, for the world atm it's Sansa.

Book spoiler if you havent read them
 Bismarck.Fatmike
By Bismarck.Fatmike 2013-06-04 14:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Forsakengriever said: »
Was anyone else pissed off about S03E09?

My only two gripes about the scene were 1) The lyrics to Rains of Castamere were sung throughout the massacre in the book and the music kept playing, whereas they cut it off in the show, and 2) As Catelyn is preparing to slit Jinglebell's (in the show it's Frey's wife) throat, two Freys were circling behind her for the kill...camera angle was way too static. Also wouldnt have minded a better entrance for Roose Bolton when he kills Robb, but not a big deal.

Other than that, I thought they did a great job with it. It's an adaptation...you're just not going to get the same level of intensity you would get from the slow build that the prose in the book allows for. HBO needs to break some ground and make these 90 minute episodes. Also, 10 episodes is a joke...they say its because the production schedule takes so much time that they are barely able to deliver it on schedule, but imo, I'd rather wait an extra month for a 12-episode season. They're going to need to buy some time anyway because there's no way in 7 hells GRRM is finishing 2 more novels in the time it takes for them to complete 3 more seasons. Not when he was only 1/4 of the way through writing (1500 pages of manuscript) The Winds of Winter.

I think the complaints about the show's adaptation speaks to a larger point...I really hope people go out and read the books because the show, as great as it is, just cannot hold a candle to them. The prose and the POV perspectives really do make them unique.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2013-06-04 14:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Fatmike said: »
Ragnarok.Forsakengriever said: »
Was anyone else pissed off about S03E09?

I was pissed that Greywind was killed so easily. Also the whole ending scene just seemed so...Funny? I mean it was amazing in the book (in a terrible way)...What's with Cat standing there for an additional 10 seconds before someone randomly comes up and slits her throat for starters? :/

Because in the book she does stand there for about that long, instead she's looking at her bloodied hands, thinking about Ned and her children waiting for her, and loses her mind.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-04 14:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Re: Robb heir.
You're right Mike, I forgot about that. For some reason I recalled she was killed too.
By Blazed1979 2013-06-04 14:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My brothers who didnt read the books just watched the red wedding episode. I gotta say, I kinda wish I didn't read the books because their reaction was priceless. They had no idea and the shock they expressed was pretty amazing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Fatmike
By Bismarck.Fatmike 2013-06-04 14:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Re: Robb heir.
You're right Mike, I forgot about that. For some reason I recalled she was killed too.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-04 14:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The Red Wedding adaptation could have been done a lot better, this is the big event in a rather dull season for Westeros, and they came up a little short. Robb's death was pathetic, what happened to the longsword through the heart? We didn't even see his blood, just an invisible dagger to the stomach and him falling over. Catelyn is supposed to go crazy and scratch her face out, didn't happen. Greywind could have taken a few Freys with him, instead just a boring execution. The Hound could have killed some folks, didn't happen. Not to mention Robb's protection, Smalljon Umber, wasn't even there to kill some Freys. But whatever, lets just have a nice battle at Castle Black and get this season over with.
[+]
 Bismarck.Fatmike
By Bismarck.Fatmike 2013-06-04 15:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The longsword through the heart would have been a nice touch. I also agree that Robb's performance lacked a bit. If you watch again, you'll see there are times when other actors are speaking that he is just kind of sitting still...no emotion, no movement, like a mannequin almost. That could also be on the director.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-06-04 16:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My brothers who didnt read the books just watched the red wedding episode. I gotta say, I kinda wish I didn't read the books because their reaction was priceless. They had no idea and the shock they expressed was pretty amazing.

that was my reaction.

I sat there audibly questioning "what the ***?" for at least 30 secs.
[+]
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-06-09 21:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Signal cut out from storms in the last 10mins....

Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-06-09 21:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2013-06-09 21:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm..Jaimes back awfully early...this will be an interesting next season.

and I just want Dany to shut up..I'd srsly rather watch Jaime and Cersei bang than watch Dany scenes (unless Sir Jorah is naked)

I know how book-readers are very "this wasn't in the books!" but I like how the show seems like its trying to get everybodies attention back on the zombies with all this "the war is over but the true war is coming!"

Also love what they're doing with Shae...and Yara/Asha Greyjoy needs more screentime.

Also Also..my babies Sir Davos and Gendry T_T and look at Arya being all buddy buddy with the Hound which I'm liking just as much as her hating-of-the-hound-book-self.

Stannis is an idiot but I love this mans ridiculous facial expressions. I can watch him be brainwashed all day.

Lastly, "Niggit"

Anybody remember Greg the Bunny with "ah-iggit"? no...just me?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2013-06-09 22:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the episode was pretty lame...

The red wedding should've been the season finale, and the season finale should've been the season 4 premiere.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2013-06-09 22:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, the cliff hanger would have pissed me off. RW is very much so season finale material but GoT likes to use the last episode to tie up loose ends real quick...kinda like last season they didn't use BoBw as a season finale either...I mean it had zombies but..eh

I am curious as to what the show is going to do next season. I knew they were going to split up SoS..but all we have remaining really is Castle Black battle and Joffs Wedding/S--t gold. But they've been pulling stuff out of AFFC.

I feel like we're running out of books! I never read AFFC or ADWD..but from what I understand I don't really want to..
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-06-09 22:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Found this over on the Escapist.

[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-09 23:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Very lame finale. I was sure it would be the battle of castle black, instead, nothing happened. 5/10. I'll post my thoughts on the whole season later.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-09 23:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I gelt this season finale was too short :(

But i still found it enjoyable to an extent :<
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-10 01:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Season 3 Highlights
-Dany and her Dragons
-Jon Snow
-Jaime Lannister
-Arya Stark and the Hound
-The Red Wedding

Lowlights
-Stannis Baratheon and his nonexistant plot movement
-Robb Stark and his nonexistant plot movement followed by his underwhelming death
-Kings Landing and its fun character interactions but nonexistant plot movement
-Sam
-Bran's scenes felt too dragged out and boring making his few good scenes less appreciated
-For being the show's inspiration, the Red Wedding could have been done a lot better
-Theon Greyjoy's personal hell was fun for a little while but dragged on
-Balon and Asha Greyjoy's lone appearance failed in its attempt to be dramatic
-Jaime and Cersei's reunion was underwhelming (and too early)
-Dany's final scene was underwhelming

Overall I think we will look back at this season and call it the worst. I'm glad its over, and look forward to season 4 and the carnage it will bring.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-10 09:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Surprised there was no Castle Black in the final episode...I mean...that part of Castle Black... *avoids spoilers*

Kujata.Daus said: »
I know how book-readers are very "this wasn't in the books!" but I like how the show seems like its trying to get everybodies attention back on the zombies with all this "the war is over but the true war is coming!"
This is in the book though, it's the only reason why it makes a point about Davos learning how to read, so that he can intercept the Night's Watch plea.

Either way next season is gonna be pretty good, many awesome events to come and will be much better than this one.

On a side note, I wanted to see Robb's corpse with Greywind's head better, wasn't shown enough!
 Fenrir.Loraley
Server: Fenrir
user: Ryuchan
By Fenrir.Loraley 2013-06-10 09:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Very underwhelming. I thought for sure it would actually end with the ...epilogue from the third book, iirc.

BF and I have been trying to figure out how they're going to work certain storylines that they're changing from the books. Asha/Yara, Jaime (there's a lot of little details that I think are still major that cannot happen since he came back early)...

I'm interested to see how it plays out, but I'm kind of worried that key factors that makes the characters who they are will be lost along the way. :(

Also, I know it's petty, but I'm kind of annoyed that Davos didn't read the letter to Stannis. HE WORKED SO HARD TO LEARN TO READ, DANG IT. :3
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2013-06-10 10:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

George RR Martin on College Humor
 Bismarck.Fatmike
By Bismarck.Fatmike 2013-06-10 10:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Finale was underwhelming when compared to RW/Ep 9...but that's standard for the series.

George says he's writing a lot in order to stay ahead of the show. In case anyone missed him on Conan last week, here's the full interview

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, and this show is definitely polarizing in that regard, but on the whole I thought this was the show's best season yet, definitely the most talked about. They've always said they want this show to be judged as one long movie when it's all said and done, not on individual episodes or seasons. So the jury is still out imo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Loraley
By Fenrir.Loraley 2013-06-10 11:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said: »

George RR Martin via the Onion
 Fenrir.Loraley
By Fenrir.Loraley 2013-06-10 12:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Went back and re-read a couple episodes worth of posts. :)

Re: Robb's heir
I was pissed this wasn't in the show because it makes me think it won't play a part in the books later. Also, it made me adore Robb a little more in the book when I read about it, and I have met a lot of non-book readers who really didn't like Robb (though I think Talisa may have more to do with that than anything else).
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 19 20 21