Why Do People Do Besieged?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why do people do Besieged?
Why do people do Besieged?
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-08 10:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm after reading the Besieged posts in the thread "Reasons why asura sucks" (http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1175&lp=1#9041) it made me think... why do people bother with Besieged?

I'm guessing most people do it to skill up as you can get better xp/IS per hour from a pt and yet there is always 300+ people in Leviathans Besieged's. So why do you take part, or not as the case may be?
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-01-08 10:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I always try to catch Besieged when it's happening because while yes, an xp party is more efficient XP-wise, Besieged is more efficient IS-wise.

You earn 1k IS for every 10K Experience points, so if you're in a decent meripo, you'll get about 20k an hour, which equals about 2k IS. Now, for that hour, however, you have to pay attention and actually work. WS if you're a melee, cure if you're a mage, and pull if you're a bard.

In besieged, it's much easier to get that 2k IS. Usually, You can earn max Xp/IS in besieged within about 30 minutes of work. I usually fight/cure/raise for 30 minutes and then afk in a safe spot. So while it takes the same amount of time, it doesn't take the same amount of *work*. Not to mention, it's much more laid back. You can go at your own pace, do what you want, and skill if you need to. When I bard in besieged, I get to melee. I get to nuke on Rdm. Silly things you cant really do in meripos.

And, as you mentioned, skilling up. I've maxed all my magic skills in Besieged because it's just so easy to pick a spell and spam it. It's much faster than skilling in a pt, especially for rarely-used skills like Divine magic (which, for a Rdm, I NEVER use) or String-skill.

And of course, the biggest reason of all:

Take 5 friends to an Undead Swarm and wait for them to be charmed. My friends and I get into a party and alliance have a blast nuking/killing each other (before anyone complains, please note that this behavior is only directed at the people in our party and all people invited are there with the knowledge that if you get charmed, you're going down) and we usually get max XP for it, too. It's fun, it's different, and it's a nice way to spend an hour just plain-old-goofing-off.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-01-08 10:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

only reason I ever find myself in a besieged is when there is nothing else to do and I'm already in whitegate.

Otherwise, I might go in just to use a Revitalizer to get my 2hr back.

Cant think of any other reason to do it lol
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-08 10:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I love that, just go slaughter each other XD And yeah capping magics is the reason I did Besieged, took me 2 Besiegeds to get the last 5 skill levels on enfeeb,elemental and dark magic after hitting 75blm.
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Server: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-01-08 11:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally try to hit besieged whenever possible for skillups, plus WOTG does not like to let me bring up ingame maps and randomly crashes...

Makes Campaign kinda mute when that happens.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-08 11:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The best way to level healing and enhancing magic in the game is to cure/haste/protect/shell the generals/npcs.

You commonly get 0.5s.
 Fenrir.Alijah
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-01-08 11:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
The best way to level healing and enhancing magic in the game is to cure/haste/protect/shell the generals/npcs.

You commonly get 0.5s.

You can also Curebomb the Skeles in the Undead Swarm. It acts like a nuke, you do damage, which results in xp/is and you still get massive skillups.
 Bismarck.Nours
Server: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Nours 2009-01-08 11:13:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Let's not do besieged and then *** massively about Astral Candy gone.
 Alexander.Keldewis
Server: Alexander
user: Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-01-08 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoy beseiged because you get a chance to see some of and fight with the HNM's that only HNMLS battle on a regular basis, w/o having to fight for claim. I usually only go to trolls though because it is a straight up fight unlike mamool ja with their high eva and the aoe spam HP drain/naked melee combat of undead swarm. I also enjoy the skill up aspect and the chance to recoup XP and obtain IS
 Bahamut.Pjohn
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-01-08 11:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

you can build your imperial defence bonus so when you wear your blue glory crown and recieve sanctions you get the bonus.
keeping the astral candy is nice too.
i dont like the long way for meripo or salvage :D
 Remora.Mitsurughy
Server: Remora
user: EnricO
By Remora.Mitsurughy 2009-01-08 11:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM/WHM enfeebling magic etc specially since level sync this good for it.
 Seraph.Zoey
Server: Seraph
user: ZoeyofS
By Seraph.Zoey 2009-01-08 11:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

YOu can skill up magic quickly in there.

You may get an item that will restart your 2 hour in there, some only go for that then get out.

If you are playing a job that you have a hard time xping you can go in there for a little of that. (lvl 50-60 probably)

It is fun

It is kinda cool

100+ person co-op

There is alot of reasons, its simply a neat and forgiving (die no xp loss) part of the game. You also get a chance to stand out in front of more than your LS or a 6 person party.

and there are more reasons im sure.
 Fairy.Evanthegai
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Evanthegai 2009-01-08 13:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nours said:

Yes please remember this... it sucks when we all don't get the astral candy :p means more damn campaigns

but it is fun as hell to go as sch and manifestation sleep 2 after all your mp is gone then while everyone is charmed just manifestation agian and go ahead and aspir everyone in my path :p its fun as long as u don't crash or die at the end :/
 Asura.Ghikque
Server: Asura
user: Ghikque
By Asura.Ghikque 2009-01-08 20:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I've never really like Besieged as there's really no challenge or strategy to it. Just keep throwing people at the problem till 1 of 3 things happen: 1)you win and drive them off or 2)they retreat or 3)you lose.

The lag is something I can't stand either. There's 600+ mobs/people in zone and at any given time you can only see 10 things on screen. Just seems dumb to participate in something like that.

Also the rewards for time spent just aren't worth it to me. I can get into a relic burn PT and make 30K exp in an hour (when I can, other times it's about 22K/hour in a deuce BRD Burn limit PT). So I can make 2-3K ISP + 20-30K EXP in a limit PT or I can defend an AC and walk away with 1500 ISP in the same amount of time.

Besides, it's fun getting the AC back with friends.
 Fenrir.Radek
user: radek
By Fenrir.Radek 2009-01-08 20:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Take 5 friends to an Undead Swarm and wait for them to be charmed. My friends and I get into a party and alliance have a blast nuking/killing each other (before anyone complains, please note that this behavior is only directed at the people in our party and all people invited are there with the knowledge that if you get charmed, you're going down) and we usually get max XP for it, too. It's fun, it's different, and it's a nice way to spend an hour just plain-old-goofing-off.

QFT D:
User submitted image
 Valefor.Judda
Server: Valefor
user: Judda
By Valefor.Judda 2009-01-08 23:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason i do besiege is to win ISP n_n
 Diabolos.Eclipstic
Server: Diabolos
user: eclipstic
By Diabolos.Eclipstic 2009-01-09 01:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

no one bothered to mention the EXP bonus you get from keeping the astral candesence... +10% ftw
 Bahamut.Evilswine
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2009-01-09 03:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Short and simple: IS and skill-ups, i dont even care about the exp
 Valefor.Anastriana
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Anastriana 2009-01-09 06:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia said:
Hmm after reading the Besieged posts in the thread "Reasons why asura sucks" (http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1175&lp=1#9041) it made me think... why do people bother with Besieged?

I'm guessing most people do it to skill up as you can get better xp/IS per hour from a pt and yet there is always 300+ people in Leviathans Besieged's. So why do you take part, or not as the case may be?

Fun. This is a video game after all.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-09 09:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I think beseiged is fun, you get to attack mobs with any job, die and not lose xp, you can be any wierd job combination and have fun with it. skill ups for magic was good for me, i capped dark magic thr. You get to kill ppl when they get charmed too, cast a freeze 2 on someone in your ls or your friend lol :P
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-01-09 12:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I do it for most of the reasons Alijah mentioned.
 Asura.Mikerocca
Server: Asura
user: kord
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-09 12:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You're all gonna need beseiged to deal with the lack of skill ups from all those level sync parties!!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-09 13:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Mikerocca said:
You're all gonna need beseiged to deal with the lack of skill ups from all those level sync parties!!

Except me lol
 Seraph.Shyral
Server: Seraph
user: shyral
By Seraph.Shyral 2009-01-09 15:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

A sense of loyalty to aht urghan whitegate and the astral candescence. And I like using runic portals...
 Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt
By Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt 2009-01-09 15:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nours said:

Bingo, Bismarckians hate that ***.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-09 16:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I do it for the same reasons a lot of other's have posted, cause it's fun, it's painless, it's relatively free exp, and it's great for capping magics...I took my 52 WHM in the other day by accident and stuck around as I had nothing else going on ATM and got quite a bit of enhancing and divine magic skillups. Seems like one of the easiest ways to get magic skillups period...
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2009-01-09 17:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Scuzzelbutt said:
Nours said:
Bingo, Bismarckians hate that ***.

agreed
 Phoenix.Strongside
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-09 17:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun, skill ups, IS and candy BAM!
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-01-09 19:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

1- EXP bonus from having the Astral Candy (See the dentist was wrong, candy is good for you!)
2- You can Use the Runic Portals w/o an assault order. (No candy, No tele. Flippin Taru.)
3- Great way to get a buffer or skillups on those B C and D skills ( A also if you haven't already capped)
4- Fun watching people try to kill Medusa or the Mega-Boss ( Ily luvs you too)
5- Good source of IS solo by healing and raising those mentioned in #4
 Fairy.Legado
user: SirVergil
By Fairy.Legado 2009-01-10 00:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Do it for the IS, then use that IS you get and do ISNM.
For me Besieged is money making for me /nod.
First Page 2