What Lvl Is It Too High To Have A PL?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-07 20:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia said:
I was in a party earlier at level 61 and guess what? Yup there was a PL there and it really got on my nerves.

I was on Pld and I love to keep hate and keep the mob in position for thf and drk to do SATA and so forth and if I cant heal myself I lose a great way to gain hate, instead the PL is healing me and trying to keep me at 100% hp and is getting hate on themselves ruining our positioning midfight.

Just thought i'd mention this, because imo its a good example of where you don't need a PL (he was there for the sake of being there not speeding up the pt at all). We had a rdm and blm in the pt and I had plenty of refresh going on so I didnt runout of mp healing myself.

It did make tanking a bit more challanging which I like lol but it did get annoying when the DD missed a SAWS because PL took hate off me spamming cures.

Challenge is good yes, but... a thf missing SAWS is a F@$%$^& sin! ^^
 Gilgamesh.Boemir
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Wheels
By Gilgamesh.Boemir 2009-01-08 07:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I find myself without any pacience for low level parties. Sometimes its seems you dont ever get XP :/

We all know how nowadays things work. You get one or 2 ppl with very gimp equipment that will spoil even the perfect setup. PPl just think "this is only for subjob so i dont need to equip myself and waste money".

So yeah i dont mind a random PL now and then just to ensure some xp. I dont agree with them for the majority of the time but it's good to get invited to a pt with PL.

Another trend is because less people are leveling jobs, i get some invites "{Party}{Do you need it?} with PL"
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-01-08 08:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Tavlov said:
Spekter said:
the pl is not good... a lot of players whit pl dont know his job or dont know how to play cose aver playing whit pl and the pl tank/heal. if you can play whiout pl is a bit slow so you will learn how works your job pay attention in school much?
<.<

>.> I agree with Tavlov
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-08 09:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

O.oa Celestinia, why didn't you just stand IN FRONT of the PL? O.oa They pull hate and voila... The mob doesn't move because you're in pretty much the same spot, which lets the Thf SA exactly as it would have w/o the PL there.
And Spekter... Please.. Stop talking. You only make yourself look like a fool that never made it beyond elementary school English.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-08 10:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
O.oa Celestinia, why didn't you just stand IN FRONT of the PL?

I admit I didn't think of that -.- Still come on it's level 60 and we had a good setup and was doing fine before PL showed up lol And if I had done what you suggested then really I could have hit a voke macro lined up and gone afk for rest of fight, easy. This is exactly, imo, what gimps some Plds skills because their not tested holding hate against 2-3 DDs in a pt.
 Hades.Arkhelshar
Server: Hades
By Hades.Arkhelshar 2009-01-08 10:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretty much always 2box with my 2nd character which is a rdm 75 merited in convert (why not use everything you have to make it work better).

From level 1 to level 75, it pretty much work all the time.

But the strategy varies from the "Helper" being the tank at low level to a mere additionnal healer on a DD based party.

The latter occurs around level 50 when stoneskin + phalanx + sitting + cure emnity isnt enough to compete with quick DD and to make the rest cycle lasts.

But even past level 50, it's pretty handy. Just need a switch of strategy.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-08 10:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just what I do when I PL myself or others. I stand next to the person that's trying to pull hate the most and cure there so the mob never turns.
Paladin isn't exactly a hard job to learn anyway. lol You spam all of your available skills and toss out your largest cures to get the most hate from them, whether it's on yourself or on someone else with hate. The only thing you even have to learn at all is how soon you can start casting before you're hit.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-08 10:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Paladin isn't exactly a hard job to learn anyway.

Think about that sentence next time you die anyware cause the pld didnt know what he was doing.

If you play the game regularly, you will die alot because of that. so i guess you will be remembering that sentance alot... or maybe you dont play alot and thats why you said it in the 1st place!... Nah!!! Im sure its because you only know really good PLDs that make the job look easy ;)
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidekii
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Thingy
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidekii 2009-01-08 10:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a PL is great if you are playing one of those jobs where "YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO MAIN HEAL BUT THEY MAKE YOU ANYWAYS" ie. Summoner.. I bring my PL with me to every party because come on, what damn summoner in their right mind wants to go to a party and main heal? Is that the job of summoner?

So imo I do think PL's are great if you are me and playing a job that parties make you main heal when you not suppose to.
~Cheers!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-08 11:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

lol @ Onepenny. Or... I've played the job and know it's not a hard job to play.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-08 12:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No jobs are hard to play.

FFXI is easy.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-08 12:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

Oh! Ok sorry, got mistaken by your PLD 0 at this site. Just teasing, please dont be upset, I know very well you must have played in another char. But really! Im a fairly experienced PLD (not a very good one, but with some experience) and sometimes i still find it hard to do somethings like; cover at right time not wasting it; or cure other members without making a mp waste out of it; knowing the right time to use 5m hate tools; and i'm not even going to start talking about only 75 things cause the list would be too long and it would be off-topic

getting into topic, i think PLD is not easy without training and thats why imo PL is bad, even if you are an experienced player (i say it in general, i agree with things like... "i dont have time to pt so i solo with one behind me" or even "I cant stand PTs at this level so I only go with PL"), but yeah you guys are right some ppl will be good at PLD with or without training and some will be bad with or without training

but i really cant see how can anyone disagree that someone with some training will ALWAYS be better than without it and PL makes you not train your skills. It seems so clear to me, that i really cant understand how can anyone not agree with it. An army trains more time than it actually fights, there might be a reason for it. And I sorry i'm not open-minded enough to see your point of view :) or not good enough to think PLD is easy ;)

and i hope you all understand that im writing all this just cause i like the topic and its interesting for me, its just a game and we are not saving the world on this thread (we would if armys would stop training cause of it) :p
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-08 13:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If Pld is easy you will know that:

1. Sentinel adds 100 enmity to your next action.

2. Shield bash and provoke are spiked enmity and enmity decays fast, while flash and cures are gradual enmity moves which are long lasting.

3. Using shield bash followed by a cure3/4 = strong hate build, sentinel followed by flash = imposible to gauge hate build.

4. If you spam your JA's like sentinel its a waste, time them like point 3 and you will hold hate better. Plus spamming cures drains mp, experiance is needed to know how much healing you can spam effectively.

5. As mentioned, timing your cures so they don't get interupted is a skill, one that needs time to learn.

Is Pld a easy job? That's dependant on users experiance in tanking and no not all Pld's know this, hence why there are so many poor ones. A bad Pld spams cures/voke/JA's instead of co-ordinating them or doesnt know what enmity is. Anyways that's it for me :)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-08 13:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hehe. Yeah, you have to know about hate/enmity to a certain extent. That part is kinda necessary for any job though... And of course your spike hate decays after a bit (2 minutes actually) so you want to combine your decaying with non-decaying hate to ensure you hold hate for the entire time. Another fun hate fact that you seem to be fond of is enm+/- gear/merits also affect the rate at which enmity decays, not just the rate at which it accumulates. But that topic really is for a different thread and we're getting off-topic here.
 Fairy.Thunderblaze
user: Exorcist
By Fairy.Thunderblaze 2009-01-08 13:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I self PL 1-75, never too high for a PL.
 Bahamut.Blooodyangel
Server: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Blooodyangel 2009-01-08 15:26:26
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

no invite at high lvls? couldnt form a pt at high lvl?
simple, form low lvl pt, level sync and PL yourself, just need 1 person with low lvl and you can PL yourself from 1-75, ok sure you will need to spend a lot of time later to skill up, and you might need sometime to get used to JAs cuz you didnt use them in level sync.... but level sync messed things up a bit at high lvl.. go with the stream :P
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-01-08 16:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

lvl 1

If you honestly feel you NEED PL, then you're in the wrong game. Take a left back at Blizzard and Vine and go 5 blocks til you reach WoW.

Any PT worth being in, isn't going to "need" a PL.
Secondly, if the PT is a good one, odds are your PL is just gonna be standing around doing nothing and falling asleep.

Go read the recent thread about Marlen, http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1033&page=1

This is a good example of someone who has received a whole lot of PL.

There is no substitute for hard work, people. Educate yourself, work hard, and remember that 5 other people are counting on you to play your very best the entire time you are involved with their PT.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Gavvy
Server: Ragnarok
user:
By Ragnarok.Gavvy 2009-01-08 16:53:45

People who tend to say "I don't like PLs, I wanna learn my job" tend to be crap at the game anyways. Tbh, I learned more in my first HNM kill on PLD, than I learned 1-75 leveling it(then again, I had played on other PLDs etc before leveling my own... so I wasn't going in blind).

I have 8 75s and I use my friend account to PL all the way (even if it's just to eliminate downtime.) Then again, my parties will generally reflect that (since I would have maybe 1 extra DD than a suport~)

I don't wanna spend 5hrs on 1 level because we are doing it to good old way. Most EG players will feel this way, since there time is spread over so many diferent events, when it comes to leveling, they want it to be quick and easy, not long and arduous.

If you have a problem with a PL being withe party, just simply: Leave the party or don't invite them. Simple. Personally, more PL the better >.>;
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-01-08 17:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had a PL in a lvl 68 party. All I know is I'm not complaining if any of my parties have one. By that level maybe you don't need a healing PL. But are you going to argue if they are going to haste your whole party?

And who does Tbest think he is bashing PLD saying its easy?
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-01-08 17:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said I didn't like PL - you took that out of context.
What I dislike, are those who even concern themselves with it as a viable means of leveling. You said you don't want to waste 5 hours on a single level; I agree! However, if it's taking you 5 hours to gain a level and you are the leader, you have no one to blame but yourself for inviting those who either can't do the job, go afk, or just blatently don't pay attention; kick them and replace them with someone who WANTS that golden ring at the end.

Let's look at this in terms of spike damage vs. DoT.
PL will give you nice spike exp but your DoT is crap. This means that over time, those you PL, will never learn anything "until reaching HNM" when someone or even an entire LS, suffers the burden of explaining to the PLoob how to voke, stun, etc. Remember, it doesn't stop at the PT - it continue on into the rest of the game.

If we were meant to wait til HNM to learn our jobs, we would not be forced to level. We would begin the game with elite gear, a ton of merits, and all jobs at 75.

Don't be afraid to pop Reraise, drink some drinks, eat some food, and push your job's limits as well as your own. PL becomes a moot point then.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Gavvy
Server: Ragnarok
user:
By Ragnarok.Gavvy 2009-01-08 18:25:42

Welfare said:
Don't be afraid to pop Reraise, drink some drinks, eat some food, and push your job's limits as well as your own. PL becomes a moot point then.

I do that anyway. Lol... I tanked from 40ish to 75 on my MNK, without a PL (very good SCH in my static though) so dont get me wrong, you don't need a PL to have an unusual pt setup(like a MNK tank, alot of PTs said "wtf wheres our tank" but yeah...)

PLs make it easier, doesn't remove anything from the game (a good PL would haste/light heal if there was a defined healer in the pt, like a WHM.)

But yeah... gogo PLs.

Edit: If you're doing 7k/hr and you're 40k tnl, that's a long time. (assuming you're using a generic pt, with healer, suport, tank, and dds.)
 Seraph.Megabyte
Server: Seraph
user:
By Seraph.Megabyte 2009-01-08 18:45:02

Gilgamesh.Joltx
user: Joltx
By Gilgamesh.Joltx 2009-01-08 19:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

PL's are always a good use to this game, if you use them right. there are a lot of people who get confused what the point of a PL is for. The PL'er's only job is to cut down down time. There is nothing more annoying than fighting 2 mobs then having to wait about 2 mins because the whm is low on mp. So use your pt healer until they run out of mp, let em rest, pl takes over till main whm is rdy again. keeps things moving, and your main whm doesnt get lazy. youd also be doing the civil duty of not training a future sucky whm lol. anyway, i guess the lvl really varies. a lot usually stop here at about 40ish, but a lot of our maat's cap players pl themselves all the way to 75.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-09 17:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had PL's occasionally, although not very often since my linkshell is a pretty close knit group and we do a lot of stuff exclusively with each other. That being said, having someone there to PL once in a while is a nice break from the tedium that comes with playing the same job over and over. When I first started really playing heavily, I primarily played as WHM, so having a PL there once in a while gave me the opportunity to melee and do stuff that I would never be able to do without one, like drop Banish bombs over and over or actually participate in a skillchain.

Of course, I could function equally well without one (I'd like to think), and to me THAT's really the key as far as PL's go. Here or there is no big deal, it's a nice change of pace. But if you're PL'ing someone all the way through the game, it's going to hurt them a hell of a lot more than help them. You can explain to someone how to manage MP or walk the hate line all day long, but until they actually do it for themselves they'll never really learn. Just my 2 cents...
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-01-09 19:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Welfare said:
lvl 1 If you honestly feel you NEED PL, then you're in the wrong game. Take a left back at Blizzard and Vine and go 5 blocks til you reach WoW. Any PT worth being in, isn't going to "need" a PL. Secondly, if the PT is a good one, odds are your PL is just gonna be standing around doing nothing and falling asleep. Go read the recent thread about Marlen, http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1033&amp;page=1 This is a good example of someone who has received a whole lot of PL. There is no substitute for hard work, people. Educate yourself, work hard, and remember that 5 other people are counting on you to play your very best the entire time you are involved with their PT.

QFT!
Tbest said:

Tbest said:
You spam all of your available skills and toss out your largest cures to get the most hate from them, whether it's on yourself or on someone else with hate.

So says the player w/o PLD opened. Yes Spike emnity wears down after awhile, but if you are voking like ANY PLD IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL EVERY 30secs (The only JA they should spam), then the wear is gradual to non-existent. Spamming your MP on your highest cure= no MP in a flash. As PLD the only time I used my highest cure lvl was for the OH SHI~ low yellow/red moments. Otherwise it was timed Cures one lvl lower ( i.e-Cure 3 instead of 4).

Any PLD not drinking juice is as bad as a THF missing SA(TA)+WS

Thunderblaze said:
I self PL 1-75, never too high for a PL

This is why you're on half the blacklists I know of. I remember your PT shouts from Whitegate because all you wanted was BLU and DNC to 75. No wonder you don't know your jobs.
 Shiva.Samanosuke
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Samanosuke 2009-01-09 23:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For 1st, or 2nd 75 job, I agree with going without PL as people still learning the game concept/job skills. That being said, after your 5th and 6th 75, leveling will be just a chore, I just wanna get this ***done and gear it up for endgame, PL helps alot there.

sure a good exp PT never "need" a PL, but if I can bump my exp from 15k/hr to 20K++/hr by skipping a mage and adding a DD, why the hell not??

if someone in my PT doesnt want a PL, who the *** care? i'll just get someone else who wanna join my high exp rate PT.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-10 12:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rusko said:
Onepenny said:
at level 1 have fun

agreed.

I would much rather duo with some friends and enjoy myself.
 Phoenix.Strongside
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-10 14:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Level 10 learn to play.
 Bahamut.Silvarion
Server: Bahamut
user: Pilsi
By Bahamut.Silvarion 2009-01-10 15:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

lol tell me 1 pll who would kick a PL at Dunes , evrybody knows that
a PL there helps a lot. So if a Friend feeling to be ur PL, why not?
I wouldnt ask for it, but at low lvl u glad about it
 Phoenix.Strongside
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-10 15:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Silvarion said:
lol tell me 1 pll who would kick a PL at Dunes , evrybody knows that
a PL there helps a lot. So if a Friend feeling to be ur PL, why not?
I wouldnt ask for it, but at low lvl u glad about it

Dunes is the worse place to have a PL since that's where everyone starts to learn how partys function and with a PL they don't learn these things and that's why there's a bunch of noobs walking around FFXI atm.