WTF, Autotranslate Is Putting Everything In Japanese >.<

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » WTF, autotranslate is putting everything in Japanese >.<
WTF, autotranslate is putting everything in Japanese >.<
 Bahamut.Ashbringer
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Ashbringer 2010-04-23 20:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
It is caused by using Windower, and getting a DC, and then logging back in without closing PoL.

I believe it is a way for GM's to see if you are using Windower.
... All it means is that FFXI client couldn't find its dictionary file. Client side, not server side--I doubt GM would know it unless you tell them.

Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
Also in my opinion, if a game forces you to play only that and have no access to your desktop, there is a serious design flaw there.
There's windowed mode now for FFXI, built in. (Yes, that's what I use, and it works fine.) You're a few years behind.

Plus, I think Sims 1 and 2 both run in full-screen mode, back when I played them. Don't most FPS games also default to full-screen?
Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
MMo's were never intended to be played on consoles
Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
MMo's aren't designed with consoles in mind
FFXI was pretty much designed from the ground up to be played on the PS2--with a controller and all.

Don't know and don't care about other MMORPG's--FFXI is what we play here.

The first multi-player games using the Internet were on UNIX, I think. Should I argue that multiplayer games were never intended to be played on PCs? lol.

Reading comprehesion skills are severely lacking. Please read again. All you have done here is shown you can quote out of context and completely miss a very easy to follow point. It's like with everything you quoted, you just skipped the next line I wrote, then made an incorrect judgement on something that you clearly have no idea about.

The comparison to Unix and PC's is not even relevant to the post in any way.
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-04-23 21:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Built in windowed mode for FFXI sucks, completely. First and foremost it messes with the lighting (causing glitches) AND the text isn't always scaled properly, as a result B's look like D's and stuff like that sometimes..
I noticed the lighting changed, which I've gotten used to after about a week. Then again, I think I noticed lighting change when I first installed Windower, too.

Didn't notice more glitches or problem with letters, and I've using the windowed mode the day it was added. (Zero issue with 'B' and 'D', that's for sure.) The only real complaint I have against the windowed mode is that it takes a few seconds to start recognizing controller input when I bring it to the foreground. That, and it keeps moving the window position every time FFXI starts up.

As I said, I did use the Windower before--right up to the day before the windowed mode was added, as a matter of fact. The biggest difference I noticed was that the Windower seemed to have played nicer when in the background, and that I could still my controller to run around even when it's the in the background.

For what it's supposed to do, the windowed mode does just fine.

Also, yes FPS's by default are fullscreen, but you don't D/C when you Alt Tab or Crtl Alt Del or for any reason loose full screen.
Yeah, that was a weird design decision. (Think alt+tab was disabled a long time ago in FFXI, though, so users couldn't d/c themselves that way.)

But, it's not the only game with problems switching to other apps. Sims 2 takes so long to go to the background on my computer that I can go grab a cup coffee at a leisurely pace and come back before the computer is usable.

If you could temporarily minimize the game without being disconnected, I'd have 0 problems with fullscreen.
Er, I still prefer windowed mode--it's the whole reason why I was using Windower.

Windower is obviously a piece of software produced with labor of love--for the game, and for the fellow players. But, if having FFXI in a window is your main requirement, the built-in windowed mode works well enough.

Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-04-23 21:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
/sigh

You were saying MMO's are not designed for console platforms. Well, why can't one be designed for console?

In fact, it's readily apparent that FFXI's UI is designed form a console, with its sparseness and nested menu. And, it works. (Not saying it's awesome--just that it works well enough for the PS2 environment.)

There's nothing inherent in the MMO(RPG) concept that a game in that category couldn't be designed for console. Or for a high-end cellphone (with Wi-Fi and large local storage capability), for that matter.

The bit on gaming history on UNIX was just to show that just because a certain game category is mostly seen on PC now, it doesn't mean it used to be that way, nor that it should stay that way. Things change.

Asura.Despayn
Server: Asura
user: Parhelia
By Asura.Despayn 2010-04-23 22:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP

Happens whenever you d/c using windower (or at least this is how it occurs for me).

Just restart windower after you d/c and you should be fine. This was probably already answered, but whatev.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-04-23 22:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
I know a lot of people having this problem lately and for what reason- we may never know.
They use Windower. That's the problem.

And it makes me better at my job!

Windower macro's ftw.

so u need Windower to be god at your job?

damn thats sad
And he's doing that job better than you :)

u tell him whats funny is that his SAM is level 48
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-23 23:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
I know a lot of people having this problem lately and for what reason- we may never know.

Windower macro's ftw.

damn thats sad

My sam is level 9 :o
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-23 23:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
Carbuncle.Sterling said:

Windower macro's ftw.

damn thats sad

And still geared better in 8/16 slots at that level!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-04-24 00:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
Carbuncle.Sterling said:

Windower macro's ftw.

damn thats sad

And still geared better in 8/16 slots at that level!

lolololol

psquotetrain
 Bahamut.Ashbringer
By Bahamut.Ashbringer 2010-04-24 04:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Bahamut.Ashbringer said:
/sigh

You were saying MMO's are not designed for console platforms. Well, why can't one be designed for console?

In fact, it's readily apparent that FFXI's UI is designed form a console, with its sparseness and nested menu. And, it works. (Not saying it's awesome--just that it works well enough for the PS2 environment.)

There's nothing inherent in the MMO(RPG) concept that a game in that category couldn't be designed for console. Or for a high-end cellphone (with Wi-Fi and large local storage capability), for that matter.

The bit on gaming history on UNIX was just to show that just because a certain game category is mostly seen on PC now, it doesn't mean it used to be that way, nor that it should stay that way. Things change.

And yet you still havent read the post have you. Will you just read it and then if you still have something smart to say, go ahead, but at the moment your posts are totally pointless.
[+]