Buy/Sell/Trade FFXI Accounts... What's The Big Deal?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Buy/Sell/Trade FFXI accounts... what's the big deal?
Buy/Sell/Trade FFXI accounts... what's the big deal?
First Page 2
By FLCL 2010-04-17 19:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has stated that well over 50% of FFXI users utilize RMT services at some point. It should come to no surprise that a good amount of FFXIAH users themselves have used these services in the past or will use them in the future.

Frankly, after 8 years running, the stigma for using such services has greatly diminished. For those of you who use them, good for you? For those of you who don't, what's your beef with them? Who honestly cares anymore? In a general sense, well all engage in RMT in some way. You pay real money to play FFXI every month, right? You pay real money to use the internet every month? We all pay a lot of real money for intangible things all of the time. People pay for sex, don't they? What's so different about paying for FFXI-related goods? Both of these things are "deviant", as well as many other things we do everyday, but that doesn't stop us from doing them, does it?

Some of you are probably taking up arms right now, getting all hot and bothered over the issue. There's no need to, though. Everyone here that takes a fanatical stance against RMT is a rule-breaker in other aspects or dimensions of life. Face it: We want nice things and frankly, nobody wants to work for them. That's the beauty of RMT, though. You can spend years grinding to obtain a Relic weapon or you can just buy one for several hundred dollars. You think it's ridiculous? Preposterous, even? For those of you who have been playing the 8 years that FFXI has been operating, you've probably spent somewhere near the $1200.00 mark, at least. This isn't including additional fees for mules or extra accounts you may or may not have acquired.

For those of you who have come by your FFXI riches honest, more power to you. For those of you who want nicer things but don't have the Gil or time, what's stopping you from using RMT services? If FFXI is on it's fabled "last leg" (like it has been tentatively for the past four or five years), what's stopping you from taking the step into the realm of RMT?

It's not such a bad place. I'll be the first to admit, I've used RMT services before. I've bought Gil. I've bought/sold/traded FFXI accounts. The best part is, I've never felt bad about it at all. Who knows? Who cares? If you're like me and you want a place to go to meddle in the market, head over to http://ffxioutpost.com/forum/index.php

It's new, it's fresh and the staff is pretty damn friendly. I'm sure some moderator is going to come along and delete this thread or ban me or something and I guess that's their prerogative, but frankly, I think it's dumb that all of us involved in RMT are still hiding in the dark.
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-17 19:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

long winded spam post??
[+]
By FLCL 2010-04-17 19:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What's spam about it? Because it's true?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Andromida
Server: Lakshmi
user: Andromida
By Lakshmi.Andromida 2010-04-17 19:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do I get the feeling after reading this taht your advertising?
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-17 19:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's basically you're playing a game to feel accomplished at something that's intangible. If you RMT your accomplishments what's left? I really don't care if people RMT, but I kind of like earning pixels by my own merit.

Also I hate stupid people, and a lot of idiots RMT. Not saying every person who RMTs in one sense or another is an idiot, just stating that the general RMT population are idiots.

Blah blah blah.
[+]
By tingletaru 2010-04-17 19:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

brushie brushie brushie
[+]
 Sylph.Nadalie
Server: Sylph
user: Hiroyuki
By Sylph.Nadalie 2010-04-17 19:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

"what's stopping you from taking the step into the realm of RMT?"

the fact that you don't need fancy items to be a good player
[+]
By FLCL 2010-04-17 19:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
It's basically you're playing a game to feel accomplished at something that's intangible. If you RMT your accomplishments what's left? I really don't care if people RMT, but I kind of like earning pixels by my own merit.

Also I hate stupid people, and a lot of idiots RMT. Not saying every person who RMTs in one sense or another is an idiot, just stating that the general RMT population are idiots.

Blah blah blah.

I can agree with you there. I've seen a lot of accounts pass into hands of people who have no idea what they're doing. Honestly, it's a little sad sometimes.

However, you say that we're all playing a game to feel accomplished. I agree. But what's the difference if you're paying $12.95 a month to SE for your accomplishment or if you're paying some other sum of money to someone else to buy Gil or a different account or something that makes you feel just as accomplished? I can't see a difference and I just think it sucks that we have to hide in the dark about it when so many people do it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-04-17 19:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference to me is that I don't have to buy the gil, instead I can make it and still go out to subways for a sandwich when I want to.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-17 19:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

FLCL said:
I can agree with you there. I've seen a lot of accounts pass into hands of people who have no idea what they're doing. Honestly, it's a little sad sometimes.

It is sad, but it happens. :x
FLCL said:
However, you say that we're all playing a game to feel accomplished. I agree. But what's the difference if you're paying $12.95 a month to SE for your accomplishment or if you're paying some other sum of money to someone else to buy Gil or a different account or something that makes you feel just as accomplished? I can't see a difference and I just think it sucks that we have to hide in the dark about it when so many people do it.

I guess I personally just wouldn't feel accomplished if I bought gil to fund my relic VS earning it through attending linkshell events or something. I put X amount of time into the game to receive Y item(s).

If I lost Ninian right now(hacking, etc idk), if I DID RMT a character (would probably just quit), I'd rather get a character on equal standing as Ninian, than something with a relic that I didn't deserve.

Although I'd probably just make a new character/quit because there's so many instances of character recalls that I wouldn't want to risk something like that. :/

(I don't even know if I'm making sense.)
 Sylph.Nadalie
Server: Sylph
user: Hiroyuki
By Sylph.Nadalie 2010-04-17 20:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FLCL said:
I just think it sucks that we have to hide in the dark about it when so many people do it.

lol that is because SE did the game to make money, didn't make the game so other ppl can make money with it, rmt was, is and will be against the terms of SE and while is that way you will stay in the "dark", doesn't matter how much you wanna make it to look that is fine, that is right and is not bad to perform rmt activities, doesn't matter if 100% of the ppl in the game buy or sell gil/items/accounts for some bucks, still SE wont accept it and will be something bad.

Maybe if you pay a percentage of your incomes to SE that could change and rmt became a normal way to work lol
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-17 20:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

FLCL said:
What's spam about it?

OK so Andromida said it better, it sounds more like 'hay guys if you like to buy gil come to my site'.

Buying gil is bad because skill > gear .... and also because the RMT tells are annoying.

By FLCL 2010-04-17 20:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Although I'd probably just make a new character/quit because there's so many instances of character recalls that I wouldn't want to risk something like that. :/

Making perfect sense. From my own experience recalled accounts don't happen nearly as much as it seems like they would. A lot of sellers just want to get away from FFXI and they want to make some money back in the process of leaving. I don't think anybody can blame them. Some people I've met along the way are habitual buyers/sellers and they flip accounts like you would flip a bad house or apartment for profit. I see it as just another way to make money.

Also, thanks for not biting my head off.
By FLCL 2010-04-17 20:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
FLCL said:
What's spam about it?

OK so Andromida said it better, it sounds more like 'hay guys if you like to buy gil come to my site'.

Buying gil is bad because skill > gear .... and also because the RMT tells are annoying.

Well, it isn't my website per say. I'm just member like many others. I suppose it is a community that I belong to. It's mine in that sense.

Last I checked, the website doesn't actually offer RMT services... it's just a hub for people who do want to exchange to gather. As far as I know, nobody is Chinese, either and I'm pretty sure FFXIOutpost doesn't advertise in-game.
 Ifrit.Preluder
Server: Ifrit
user: preluder
By Ifrit.Preluder 2010-04-17 20:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is obvious an Advertisment. Although i dont have a problem with people RMTing in general, but it does nothing but selling out your accomplishments as stated earlier.

I also think SE is missing out on alot of money by not offering the gil for purchase themselves. People would of course then bad mouth SE for being greedy, but gils being sold anyway so why not. Think its probably more practical tho for it be done by third parites. Other wise SE could rig it by controlling the money flow in the game so player would have to rely on buying it from them.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Server: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 20:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

FLCL said:

Because it was all just a story to advertise the website.

What's wrong with people buying accounts? Not knowing how to play their jobs is a reason that comes to mind.

What's wrong with buying gil? Because RMT's screw up the economy. Because everyone is sick of RMT tells.

I dunno, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun. Hopefully it's challenging. Why spend money to make it so you don't have to play a video game?

So now you can PL yourself and be anti-social? Congrats.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-17 20:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of free MMOs provide items for purchase with real money or selling their currency for real money and they have either less or the same amount of RMT problems as p2p MMOs. I was playing Cabal for a while and they provide in game items in their Cabal Shop and yet they had RMT bots standing in town spamming the crap out of shout advertising their website.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-17 20:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have anything really against selling accounts, (As long as it's sold by the original owner, and not by an RMT hack). But I feel it takes a special brand of retard to buy a game that's already 2/3 complete. It's just a huge prejudice I have against morons, it's not just FFXI.

Buying gil/items on the other hand is a reprehensible act. It's similar to gambling, the act of actually BUYING gil is not nescessarily all that bad, it's the element that comes with it, such as Gilfarmers, and other seedy RMT activities to boost their monthly production. Buying gil directly and indirectly damages players who do not.

Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-17 20:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
FLCL said:

What's wrong with people buying accounts? Not knowing how to play their jobs is a reason that comes to mind.

What's wrong with buying gil? Because RMT's screw up the economy. Because everyone is sick of RMT tells.

I dunno, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun. Hopefully it's challenging. Why spend money to make it so you don't have to play a video game?

Just wanna say this: normal players manipulate the market a lot more than RMTs do, at least on a regular basis. Regular players tank the market on craftable items sometimes to get rid of competition or jack up prices after buying up all the stock. Happens more with normal players than with RMTs.
[+]
 Leviathan.Narrubia
user: Narrubia
By Leviathan.Narrubia 2010-04-17 20:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't RMT/hack partially because I don't want to get banned.

However, there is another consideration. I think FFXI's base monthly cost is fairly reasonable, but if RMT were allowed, we could expect the cost to actually play FFXI and have any kind of decent gear to be very high. It is to SE's financial benefit to stop RMT, since a viable RMT base effectively rises the price to play the game, removing consumers that are unwilling to pay any more for the game.

Ultimately, I am not strongly opposed to RMT, but I can see why it needs to be kept in check so that people can enjoy playing the game without having to pay triple the monthly fee on enough gil to be average.
[+]
By FLCL 2010-04-17 20:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I don't have anything really against selling accounts, (As long as it's sold by the original owner, and not by an RMT hack). But I feel it takes a special brand of retard to buy a game that's already 2/3 complete. It's just a huge prejudice I have against morons, it's not just FFXI.

Buying gil/items on the other hand is a reprehensible act. It's similar to gambling, the act of actually BUYING gil is not nescessarily all that bad, it's the element that comes with it, such as Gilfarmers, and other seedy RMT activities to boost their monthly production. Buying gil directly and indirectly damages players who do not.

Well the site that I "advertised" (sorry that I type like I talk, which is apparently advertising), isn't really anything like the yester-year organized crime syndicate that used to dominate FFXI. It's really just a place where regular people come and go.
Bismarck.Chasuro said:
FLCL said:

People don't post links to other websites here? I've seen a lot worse. It's hard to meet other people who RMT. I don't think it's a crime to give them a place to go. Call it advertising all you want, I guess.

You also act like every RMT screws up the "economy" of FFXI, when there are just as many "legitimate" people who will play you like a fool time and time again. Not every person who uses RMT services is a Chinese spam-teller.

Are you saying that people who buy Gil, for example, buy items they want and then stop playing? You must be forgetting that they buy Gil to get items or whatever so they can keep playing and have more fun doing it.

As for PLing yourself and being anti-social... right. Nobody does this ever. Only RMT.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-17 20:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FLCL said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

Making perfect sense. From my own experience recalled accounts don't happen nearly as much as it seems like they would. A lot of sellers just want to get away from FFXI and they want to make some money back in the process of leaving. I don't think anybody can blame them. Some people I've met along the way are habitual buyers/sellers and they flip accounts like you would flip a bad house or apartment for profit. I see it as just another way to make money.

Also, thanks for not biting my head off.

Making money is making money, if you can buy a car by doing this more power to you. But I personally wouldn't be involved in this. I know accounts aren't recalled that often, but I've personally heard of it quite a few times... and losing money kind of sucks, etc, especially if you paid a few thousand for a relic account. Not to mention the time you put in to get other various items.
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-17 20:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Everquest 2 has a sanctioned RMT server, and it's not as fun to play on as the others. You get a lot of in-experienced players and parties/raids turn into giant e-peen events. If you don't have the highest parse you feel pressured to get better gear and the quickest way to do it is to buy in game currency.Their economy was hugely over priced compared to the regular servers too.

If you can just buy items and money it doesn't become a matter of who is the better player, just a matter of who has the most disposable income.

By FLCL 2010-04-17 20:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
Everquest 2 has a sanctioned RMT server, and it's not as fun to play on as the others. You get a lot of in-experienced players and parties/raids turn into giant e-peen events. If you don't have the highest parse you feel pressured to get better gear and the quickest way to do it is to buy in game currency.Their economy was hugely over priced compared to the regular servers too.

If you can just buy items and money it doesn't become a matter of who is the better player, just a matter of who has the most disposable income.

I never knew that. Thanks for the bit of insight.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-17 20:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:

Isn't that FFXI now though? It's partially why I don't want to level [insert random DD]. :s
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-04-17 20:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

i certainly wouldn't judge someone who used rmt, if that's your thing go for it

but personally i think it's easier to make a million gil ingame then it is to pay like 30-50 bucks for it

if you disagree, please, don't let me stop you
[+]
 Bismarck.Alana
By Bismarck.Alana 2010-04-17 20:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

that fails at so many lvls
[+]
 Caitsith.Mougurijin
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Mougurijin 2010-04-17 20:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

People who pay money for gil are the reason we get stupid spam /tells in game. For me, that's a big enough reason aside from everything else not to buy gil.

I bet part of the reason some people end up buying gil is down to the common selling price for the items they want being higher than it should be, due to previous gil buyers meeting higher than would be asking prices with their effortless to obtain gil.
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-17 20:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

Isn't that FFXI now though? It's partially why I don't want to level [insert random DD]. :s

EQ2 can export combat logs and you can auto-parse it to chat. You can even parse healing ability, which fuels the whole thing even more. If someone bruises your ego, you can just drop $20 and buy better gear/skill upgrades.

Thankfully, you can't do it as easily in FFXI and is why I keep playing it. Keeping people alive is a lot easier then stressing out about dmg.
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
Server: Carbuncle
user: Majora
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2010-04-17 21:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

kparser {you can haz it}

nyways....

buying gil...

For myself i can compare it to a cheatdevice - like those little things you could get for GameBoy and such.

Buy - inplug, use, get infinite money

For myself... why do i play a game where the biggest reward is the accomplishment to get it?

Simply put, i hate cheaters and i love to see every single one of them getting banned and their money wasted for nothing while i have probably played the same time, not having the best of the best but hey, i have a new car radio, a new PC, living good and im still studying [insert evil laugh here] and my character (with which i can identify my gaming personality and probably seen more Story/Areas/Details) still exists *wussa*

Same as i dont get the people who play a MMO"RPG", especially a Final Fantasy one, just to ignore the amazing Storylines.

nyways.... you should be in advertising Buisness LOL
[+]
First Page 2