users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Anti Virus advice
Anti Virus advice
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-04-17 11:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So the time has come when I have to get a new antivirus so I just want to know what you guys think . I used to have avast then kaspersky when I was playing FF . Any idea on what would be the best anti virus ?
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-04-17 11:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I would probably use AVG free version. It's easily better than most of the ones you would actually pay for.

Just my 2 cents :D
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-04-17 11:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard it's a good one as well better than avast you think ?
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-04-17 12:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like Webroot Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware. I just buy it off their website and download it and it has never given me any problems. I think its $32ish USD a year.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-04-17 12:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My laptop uses Microsoft Security Essentials, which is surprisingly effective. Not sure if it costs anything, though, as it was on the system when I got it from my college. :P
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-04-17 12:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
I'm not a fan of Norton, Mcafee, Avast, or Kaspersky to be honest. AVG free is deff on of the better things out there to use.

And i wouldn't trust Microsoft defender or security essentials just because it's usually part of the OS and is easily compromised.
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-04-17 12:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Money isn't really the issue I want the best for my lappy :) I suppose ill try out the AVG Clinpachi thanks guys!
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-04-17 12:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
I'm not a fan of Norton, Mcafee, Avast, or Kaspersky to be honest. AVG free is deff on of the better things out there to use.

And i wouldn't trust Microsoft defender or security essentials just because it's usually part of the OS and is easily compromised.
Security Essentials isn't an actual Microsoft program, I believe. It's made for Windows OS.

Though if it finds any real problems, I also have Housecall to fix anything it can't.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-04-17 18:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! are both really popular and I like them just fine, but the likelihood you'd notice a difference between those, AVG or Avira seems slim so really whatever works for you is fine. As far as I know, ESET NOD32 is still tops. It's usually paid software, but that's entirely dependent on you.
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
Server: Carbuncle
user: Majora
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2010-04-17 18:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Only can advise you to get AVG or Avira AntiVir

6 years MMOs/Surfing/Forums and so on, and never a single trojan/virus came through which i noticed (yeah.. noticed i dont wanna know how many i've got on my old laptop i dont know of xD) on 2 Systems ^^

Greetz ('-')/
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-04-17 18:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Avast or AVG + Spybot Search and Destroy + CCleaner

Used these for years on every PC I have used or built for others.
 Sylph.Kozuki
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-04-18 13:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

NOD32!
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-04-18 14:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! are both really popular and I like them just fine, but the likelihood you'd notice a difference between those, AVG or Avira seems slim so really whatever works for you is fine. As far as I know, ESET NOD32 is still tops. It's usually paid software, but that's entirely dependent on you.
Cai suggested MicroSecurEssentials to me a while back, along with MalwareBytes, and I use CCleaner as well. Had this PC for six months and it's running just as well as the day I started using it. Simple, easy to use, updates automatically. Not a shabby piece of data to run every so often.
 Gilgamesh.Phonics
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Phonics
By Gilgamesh.Phonics 2010-04-18 14:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

AVG is garbage now. It used to be great, but really it can't hold its own. Ever since AVG upgraded beyond 7.5 it has been becoming more and more like McAfee.

Check out http://av-comparatives.org for actual performance tests to see how the products stack up to each other in all categories, even how much they slow down your system.

December 2009 AV Comparatives summary report

This is their newest report, and to my surprised Symantec has really cleaned up its act performing best overall and even having a very low resource footprint. Still, like most here I don't trust symantec and would say you should go with #2 or #3 Kaspersky or Eset NOD 32.

AVG still works and is decent protection for freeware, but it is not better than the other products listed in that report anymore. They had a good thing going until they decided to make extra features like the AVG Link scanner. It was at the point of AVG making version 8.0 that they seemed to switch R&D off of potent virus detection/removal and switch it to silly features like the link scanner. Also, it was at this point that AVG stopped being so conservative with system resources and began demanding more from PC's. Still, people having faster and faster computers has made that change hard to notice for some. I'm not just bashing AVG to be an ***. I have recommended and sold it to hundreds of people (Currently at my job at Officemax and formerly when working at a computer repair shop) and it upsets me to see how far from the top it has fallen today compared to a few years ago.

Also, if you actually have an infection it's very hard to beat Combofix and Malwarebytes. They're not proactive scanners so it's good to have a real Anti-Virus product for front line protection, but these two programs easily surpass Spybot at actual spyware/malware/virus removal. Combofix is a beast that doesn't afraid of anything.
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-04-18 14:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

According to Maximum PC, Microsoft Security Essentials is garbage. They recommend Eset.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-04-18 15:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you didn't want to go the AVG free route ESET nod32 is deff the choice i would make personally.