users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Bismarck » Making gil on the AH
Making gil on the AH
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2010-04-17 14:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You also have to keep in mind that focusing on one aspect of the market severely limits the amount of gil that you can make.

Most people that undercut "to unreasonable, greedy levels" have other ways of making gil. People just want their gil, and they want it as soon as possible.

Why don't you just find another way of making gil? The best way to keep up with money on this game is by having more than one method of making gil.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-04-17 14:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter said:
You also have to keep in mind that focusing on one aspect of the market severely limits the amount of gil that you can make.

Most people that undercut "to unreasonable, greedy levels" have other ways of making gil. People just want their gil, and they want it as soon as possible.

Why don't you just find another way of making gil? The best way to keep up with money on this game is by having more than one method of making gil.

Cause this isn't a thread about undercutting or trying to get people to work together.

This is a *** thread, b/c w/e it was he thought he had found a cash cow with was wrecked by other sellers.
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2010-04-17 14:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's called SE screwed the pooch on crafting. The first nonconsumable ever crafted has the potential to still be a in circulation. If they would have had some sort of item wear or made them bind on equip this wouldn't happen to this extent. Eventually every item in theory will be almost worthless. Look at haubys, SH almost every job that needs it has one. Imagine a world where nothing ever breaks, would you need business to make more. Short and long answer no.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-04-17 14:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bigheadkitty said:
  It's called SE screwed the pooch on crafting. The first nonconsumable ever crafted has the potential to still be a in circulation. If they would have had some sort of item wear or made them bind on equip this wouldn't happen to this extent. Eventually every item in theory will be almost worthless. Look at haubys, SH almost every job that needs it has one. Imagine a world where nothing ever breaks, would you need business to make more. Short and long answer no.

Then again, eventually, everyone would have said item and the same thing would happen, in fact, it'd be worse, eventually sales would cease completely.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2010-04-17 14:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That's true, but you have to remember there's still a lot of people that don't have the item, and that newer people will always come in, needing the mentioned equipment pieces.

Not only that, but there is the HQ system, which allows more pieces of equipment to enter the AH, because the crafters try to make the +1 version to sell.

That does make prices drop though. Just look at the price tags of the two equipment pieces you listed. Between now and last year, they've dropped considerably.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 15:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Frobeus said:
Bismarck.Chasuro said:
So bend over and deal with it? I hope for positive evolution in all things which we can achieve through positive discourse.

No, what you are hoping for is more gil for you.

"Positive Evolution" is an opinion. I personally would much rather have low prices and quite enjoy when things I have to buy have been undercut significantly.

More gil for us. >.>
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2010-04-17 15:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Bigheadkitty said:
Then again, eventually, everyone would have said item and the same thing would happen, in fact, it'd be worse, eventually sales would cease completely.

Your correct you saw it with hagun, most SAMS that need it bought it or camped it. Others continue to farm it for gil and new Magian weapons were introduced. Of course there are always new players emerging but not at level to sustain probably even the turnover in items. Hagun will be less than a million in 2 months becasue of this (except for price manipulation which you will see). Theres no need to drastically undercut stuff but if you have a mule with 10 or 20 of an item that will start to become common place. You cna either be patient and sell them all this year battleing others or you cna dump 2 or 3 at a time at an undercut price. Back in 2004-2006 you could just list at a price and sell because there were 4x the active palyers and they were all coming into their own on their jobs.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 15:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Frobeus said:
Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter said:

Cause this isn't a thread about undercutting or trying to get people to work together.

This is a *** thread, b/c w/e it was he thought he had found a cash cow with was wrecked by other sellers.

I used 1 item as an example. But it was a totally different item suddenly being undercut that prompted me to write this post in the hopes that people could work together to not undercut so drastically.
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2010-04-17 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol that was the point. I was trying to say that crafting is pretty much ruined becuse of no long term thinking on SE's part. I guess it'll be nice to go buy an item thats been sold 5k times and get ti for 100 gil but that doesnt keep and economy running. And with 2 100 crfats and the rest at 60 most hq's are a loss unless you hit a lucky streak and hit it on one of the first few attempts.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 15:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It makes me lol inside when people say crafting in ruined.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-04-17 15:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Shhh let them say it!

I don't want more crafters! LOL
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 15:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Shhh let them say it!

I don't want more crafters! LOL

Nuuuu let them skill goldsmithing thinking they'll make a bajillion gil right away when they level! Then they'll never level anymore :D
 Seraph.Pikachu
Server: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-04-17 15:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

heh i used to do nebs but they went down to 6k and stayed there so i starting doing shall shells and they sometimes go down to 5k but if you just wait they go back up lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-17 15:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This game is played by alot of kids with fake money what do you expect. There is more I want it now then omg look at my profits and losses. No one really checks markets before getting into them to see if there is a chance they might support another person. Then sometimes the main person (people) buying said item might have finished skilling up on it or be on vacation or just lost interest or 1 billion other reasons and demand will go down and bam everyone will be undercutting like crazy.

If it is a solid item that will always be need (alot of food, some intermediater cheap skillup peices, synth material that makes good decent cheap items etc) people will eventually back out when the price goes too far south( you should pull out before then). And then when there is like only a few on the Ah put it back up for the old price. Last step profit and laugh at the people that paniced and sold that 95k item for 80k when 3 days later it was back up to 95k. Ie scinlinton ingot lately which cost 95k to make lol
 Diabolos.Magitech
Server: Diabolos
user: gestahl
By Diabolos.Magitech 2010-04-17 18:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

someone is undercutting your nebs and their evil greedy *** right?

maybe they saw you sell them on the AH, hate you, and just want to make your life suck? or maybe they need quick gil because they are starting a new craft, leveling a new job, need new equip, or who knows wtf else. pot-au-feu went from 12k to 9k in the span of a few days right after I decided to start trying to crank it out for profit....turns out two/three people decided to fund their other craft and had the same idea I did. They have just as much right to gil as I do and I can either accept a smaller profit or wait for them to be done, it's just that simple.

look, if you need the cash then your gonna need to go down to their level. if you don't need it now, wait... the price WILL rebound, unless the SUPPLY of / DEMAND for the item has changed (and if your one of the merged servers then yea, your economy has just been put on it's ear)
 Valefor.Yishay
Server: Valefor
user: yishaymnk
By Valefor.Yishay 2010-04-17 19:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i know i maybe hated after this post by ppl on all servers but i think it should be said that ppl ... like myself will undercut things that don't sell on the first pass or in my case if i really don't care about the item and i need space. now that said i DON'T undercut more then 1k on the items i do. another thing is often enough i raise prices as much as i can. if i see a fast selling item on the AH and there's none there you can count on me for raising. but really i'll undercut items up to 1k if it's a random drop i don't care much about.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 20:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Magitech said:
someone is undercutting your nebs and their evil greedy *** right?

Wrong.

People undercut too much.

I'm glad I made this post. I appreciate most everyone's view point. I'm looking at this all a little differently now. Thank you.
 Titan.Stealthwolf
Server: Titan
By Titan.Stealthwolf 2010-04-17 20:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

depending on item and sell rates is how much i will undercute said item like something that goes for 18k i will put it there for 15k because it still represents a net proffit to myself and if it screws a few of my rivals then all the better for me lol

I have a few crafts that i use to make gill and tbh if im turning over said item quickly and producing a profit that i deem acceptable for the effort that i put into it then i will sell it at said price.

Funny enough im skilling my fishing atm and catching nebs for skill up's and becaue of this i will undercut to save myself storage and for the pure fact that my main aim is to skill up! profit or money made can be then used to cover further costs of lv'n job, crafts or put towards x item that i feel i need to progress my charc.

ps: sorry for wall of text lol
 Bismarck.Danz
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2010-04-17 20:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

something stupid easy and stupid simple SE could do to make the market less of a roller coaster ride

1. make things stay up on the AH until a user decides the thing isn't going to sell and take it down manually and change the price.

2. allow more then 7 items up at once so small near valueless things like crystals/clusters low end cheap crafting materials can be sold without taking up a slot
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-17 20:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I would approve of a max/min you could put something up for above/below the average going price of last so many. Most likely by a certain % or so much per tier. Like maybe for items <1k no more than 200. For like ~100k 5k or 10k. So people don't do rediculous jumps that just make you face palm and no one will expect such a jump and just try to wait for somethign to go lower or soemthign
 Bismarck.Alana
By Bismarck.Alana 2010-04-17 20:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Suply and demand is a myth ppl that think that fails

if u let the item there ppl will still buy for higher prices

will take a lil more but it will sell

undcercut = haste for lil profit in a game

and no its not like rl

this IS a game

Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 21:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Alana said:
Suply and demand is a myth ppl that think that fails

if u let the item there ppl will still buy for higher prices

will take a lil more but it will sell

undcercut = haste for lil profit in a game

and no its not like rl

this IS a game

lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-17 21:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's true to an extent. When the money isn't real (or even when it is but not in your hands) people tend to act differently like it means nothing.

Watch someone gamble online vs rl. With real money vs fake. Needless to say makes it alot less fun to play against lol
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 21:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

To an extent, but don't tell me it doesn't apply at all.

Fake online gambling, you start with a set amount of money, you don't in this game. You do have to make some of it, which does in a way change the attitudes towards the way they act with it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-17 21:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but it doesn't just apply to fake. Even real online people tend to forget that they still paid for it and worked for it. Kinda similar in ffxi. They just want it now and don't think about losses and such as much. Or release how long it took them etc
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 21:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And those are the ones who tend to never have money and good ah stuff, and complain that money is so hard to get.
 Titan.Stealthwolf
Server: Titan
By Titan.Stealthwolf 2010-04-17 21:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah but it doesn't just apply to fake. Even real online people tend to forget that they still paid for it and worked for it. Kinda similar in ffxi. They just want it now and don't think about losses and such as much. Or release how long it took them etc

i make profit or at least break even on everything i sell. Plus i value my time so i use a formula to derrive if x item is worth the cost of manufacture and factor in sale and drop rate to gain a profit per hour ratio that i then use to chose what to farm and how and when to farm.

Anyhows have fun chatting about the ah, im goin to bed nn all good luck to finding a compromise and remeber its a GAME you only need to know how to play it!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-17 21:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You are a rare person then lol
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-04-17 21:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Stealthwolf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

i make profit or at least break even on everything i sell. Plus i value my time so i use a formula to derrive if x item is worth the cost of manufacture and factor in sale and drop rate to gain a profit per hour ratio that i then use to chose what to farm and how and when to farm.

Anyhows have fun chatting about the ah, im goin to bed nn all good luck to finding a compromise and remeber its a GAME you only need to know how to play it!

Ya expect a vast majority doesn't know how to lol!