Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Wouldn't It Be Nice
Wouldn't It Be Nice
 Kujata.Kenada
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2010-02-15 12:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea if this has been discussed before but...

I was thinking it would be nice if SE made an update for Monks so they could utilize Staves better. Maybe a monk specific staff and some new job traits or weapon skills. It just seems like a waste for monk to have staff as the next best weapon with no real use.

This will also allow subbing SAM to be viable alternative with hasso and give monks the use of grips.

I'm actually planning on doing this anyways, just for the fun of it. I think it'll be a nice change up from using h2h. I love monk, but I feel like the job is getting stale.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-02-15 12:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Kenada said:
No idea if this has been discussed before but...

I was thinking it would be nice if SE made an update for Monks so they could utilize Staves better. Maybe a monk specific staff and some new job traits or weapon skills. It just seems like a waste for monk to have staff as the next best weapon with no real use.

This will also allow subbing SAM to be viable alternative with hasso and give monks the use of grips.

I'm actually planning on doing this anyways, just for the fun of it. I think it'll be a nice change up from using h2h. I love monk, but I feel like the job is getting stale.
Well monk has traditionally been fists only in the FF world. Sure, they could use some staves, but never any point after the first few levels of the game. They're just trying to stick with classic FF. I agree though, it would be nice to allow Monk to utilize their only other real option for weapons. I also think it would be nice if Drk had a use for elemental magic, but that's another story >.>
 Titan.Marzbarz
Server: Titan
user: MarzBarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-15 12:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I somewhat agree but really.. this is all I can think about since I saw the title.
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-02-15 12:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fists onry! I like to punch stuff, staff can gtfo
 Titan.Marzbarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-15 12:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Fists onry! I like to punch stuff, staff can gtfo
I sense some deep rooted anger issues.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-15 12:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah and they can make it as useful as footwork!!!
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-02-15 12:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I just like fisting :o
 Titan.Marzbarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-15 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

>.>
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-02-15 12:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I can sort of see it, but also just not. It seems it would make more sense to just give mnk a different weapon as their 2nd best. The point of a mnk, it seems to me (but my mnk is obviously not leveled so I may be completely off here) is to hit fast. Bambambambambambambambam, instead of Thwack...... Whiff!...... Thwack...... Thwack..... see? So to give them a staff, which is a big slow messy thing, when they are supposed to be bambambaming, just seems awkward. Idk, I just can't see mnks with staves. But like I said, my mnk is a whopping 10 levels old, so I might be completely confused.
 Titan.Marzbarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-15 12:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
I can sort of see it, but also just not. It seems it would make more sense to just give mnk a different weapon as their 2nd best. The point of a mnk, it seems to me (but my mnk is obviously not leveled so I may be completely off here) is to hit fast. Bambambambambambambambam, instead of Thwack...... Whiff!...... Thwack...... Thwack..... see? So to give them a staff, which is a big slow messy thing, when they are supposed to be bambambaming, just seems awkward. Idk, I just can't see mnks with staves. But like I said, my mnk is a whopping 10 levels old, so I might be completely confused.
I get that. My mnk isn't very high either but I do always picture a "Bambambambambambambambam" type of fighting style
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-02-15 12:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
I like your sound effects.
 Kujata.Kenada
Server: Kujata
user: Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2010-02-15 13:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't disagree with whats been said, just hoping to see something different for monks is all. I just think monk gets left out from any real significant change or updates.

Maybe another item like grips but for h2h. It'll benefit other h2h jobs too like PUP or even to lesser degree DNC. I feel like something should be in that slot. lol
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-02-15 13:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Kenada said:
I can't disagree with whats been said, just hoping to see something different for monks is all. I just think monk gets left out from any real significant change or updates.

Maybe another item like grips but for h2h. It'll benefit other h2h jobs too like PUP or even to lesser degree DNC. I feel like something should be in that slot. lol
Powder to help keep the pimp hand strong? +2 H2H skill. Then of course Powder +1: +3 H2H skill, +1% haste
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-02-16 12:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

MNKs in its truest form is a warrior who needs nothing more than his fists and quick reflex to crush his foes. Sure, some seek combat with Knuckles/Cesti/Sainti, while others prefer the road less traveled, which are staves.

I for one, am not a fan of MNK staff. I prefer the beautiful beating with bare hands rather than poking with a stick. Also, if MNK had to get an update to use a different weapon, or to get a higher ranking in existing weapons, then we must also admit that we are weaker than other DDs.

We will not admit that...