Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Soloing past 64
Soloing past 64
 Fairy.Phatdade
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: phatdade
By Fairy.Phatdade 2010-01-05 16:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So OK, there's been some public speculation as to my tenure vs. my rank.

I love great parties, but I hate bad parties. I only hate them because either someone sucks, everyone sucks, or the someone that sucks is me. I can't seem to find a good party (excluding campaign) around my work/fam schedule.
(10PM-2ish AZ time)

I've had to take a few <I don't speak any English.> parties and I won't knock them, because those peeps seem to know everyone's role and are more forgiving in my experience than many of our english speaking friends.

So the short version of all this is : Where the hell do I go to solo, FoV or non, where the mobs won't eat me (or my XP) for breakfast, but still give me decent skill ups and XP?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-05 16:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

on mnk?

I didnt like soloing at all on mnk, but at your leve you should be able to FoV in Ro'Maeve. sub dnc
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-01-05 16:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

as MNK/DNC, go Campaign, or head to Cape Terrigan and use FoV for rabbits and ***.
 Fairy.Phatdade
By Fairy.Phatdade 2010-01-05 16:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm so my /WAR is for partying, and I MUST level DNC or NIN to solo. Seems to be the only way. YAAAARGH!!!!!!
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-05 16:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

you dont have to lv dnc and/or nin for soloing, but it helps. you can always fight EP-DC mobs and rest between every fight, but how fun is that? =P
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-05 16:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say /dnc and /nin help in parties as well. Imagine how much your parties have been sucking because you were the MP sponge because you lacked /nin for shadows? This is more true when the tank is a fail nin (not to say the job is fail because I'm on of the best I know) but if they are just lvling the job to lvl it and dont know how to build accumulated enmity, one WS from a powerhouse like mnk/war and BAM the mob turns to you and goes OM NOM NOM and without 3 shadows to take some brunt of the dmg, the whm will be cure spamming you hard and fast. Bye bye mp... so ya it sucks to lvl subs that you dont want to do but make soloing or pting easier in the long run.. we all gotta do it, infact I have to lvl sam to 37 for war incase i 2hand it up and dont need shadows. anyways gl on your soloing and more power to you, i hate random pt strangers lol
 Fairy.Phatdade
By Fairy.Phatdade 2010-01-05 16:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Dead on Kaioshin. Even PLDs are like "WTF dude, lookatme lookatme lookatme!!!" takes a good 20% of my HP before they can take back hate, even with provoking and such.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2010-01-05 17:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate parties as well, but that's because I hate people.
I would suggest getting whm or dnc or even nin to 37 then just campaign to 75. You can do what you want when you want and not have to deal with other people. Without one of those subs survivability is going to be a real issue, however.
Past 60 FoV starts to get weak until 75 when people just spam the Cape Terrigan ones. The areas it's avaliable for are ridiculous at best. If you have to FoV then bring a healer Fellow. I stand by campaign as the most viable option if you can't find or make a good party..
If you have to party then you should probably level nin as a sub. Most tanks can't hold hate on any DD job that is /war without a thief.
You can zerg FoVs in zones like Xarc or Altepa for easy exp, but you will have a lot of down time waiting for new game day to get a new regime.
 Hades.Rictor
Server: Hades
user: Spoon
By Hades.Rictor 2010-01-05 17:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather than soloing, try to find a duo partner. I've recently been leveling my nin with a mnk, 62-66, and it has been pretty epic. I also don't have much time, but my mnk friend seems to be on quite frequently, so it's worked out pretty well.

Edit: 62-66 up to page 3, may try out page 4 next :D
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-01-05 18:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Phatdade said:
Hmmm so my /WAR is for partying, and I MUST level DNC or NIN to solo. Seems to be the only way. YAAAARGH!!!!!!

Unfortunately yes, lol I had that day too. MNK was my first Lv75 job. It was before DNC, but I had to level NIN. I love to play MNK/WAR but it really does suck for soloing. If you plan to mostly solo, go for /DNC as it's quite easy to solo itself to 37.

As for areas, just go to Cape Terrigan and solo lizards and rabbits. Closer to 75 you can probably go to sky and solo flamingos and magic pots, but just be careful on the pots.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-05 18:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen plenty of vids of mnk/dncs soloing VTs for chain 5s and such at 75 so yeah worth lvling as a sub
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-01-05 18:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I've seen plenty of vids of mnk/dncs soloing VTs for chain 5s and such at 75 so yeah worth lvling as a sub

MNK/DNC is very powerful, hits hard and builds TP quite fast, but it depends on what you fight. You could probably solo a VT pot as they're weak to blunt damage. I like to do FoV in sky as 75MNK/DNC.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-05 18:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
MNK/DNC is very powerful, hits hard and builds TP quite fast, but it depends on what you fight. You could probably solo a VT pot as they're weak to blunt damage. I like to do FoV in sky as 75MNK/DNC.
Well yeah there is that too. But I've seen vids of mnks just blowing thru imps or even sea pots lol
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-01-05 19:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Well yeah there is that too. But I've seen vids of mnks just blowing thru imps or even sea pots lol

I have solo'd imps before, amnesia is a problem for mnk/dnc though. It's actually easier as mnk/nin because at least i can still use shadows then. It is a very powerful job combo. I was just thinking in terms of what Phatdade needs.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-05 19:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol amnesia silence it is all annoying though really echo rings are cheap and you should probably be tping in them anyways. Also not like the imps hit hard and you are draining some all the time anyways
 Shiva.Dharkhon
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Dharkhon 2010-01-05 20:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

/DNC with Drain Samba II and Curing Waltz II, I can solo weapons in Ro'Maeve with only minor difficulty as a MNK70
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-01-05 21:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol amnesia silence it is all annoying though really echo rings are cheap and you should probably be tping in them anyways. Also not like the imps hit hard and you are draining some all the time anyways

I have better rings than Ecphoria Rings, just normally those rings don't help with amnesia. Echo drops are cheap and prevent problems with silence. I'd rather chain stuff that I can do FoV with and not have deal with that amnesia garbage lol
 Fairy.Phatdade
By Fairy.Phatdade 2010-01-05 22:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So far I'm thinking I like the idea of campaigning to 75 with gimped skills and then beating the hell out of mobs that will still give me the skill ups later since I'll be so far behind.

Yet a certain feeling of shame seems to come with that option.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-06 01:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

make lv sync bird pts, hard to *** up such easy xp, and its fasttoo
 Carbuncle.Blizzit
user: Blizzit
By Carbuncle.Blizzit 2010-01-06 02:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Best solid advice i can give you is to go out solo till your skills are capped it will make a huge improvement on how much damage you will take plus you will want your skills capped if you are leveling monk for salvage. A salvage monk with 5/5 counter 5/5 kick attack 5/5 penance 4/5 invigorate and 1/5 formless strikes is a god inside salvage.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-06 02:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

quicker to lv now skill at 75
rdm brd dnc mnk sill pt will be a joke w/ 102 delay(90 w/ black belt)
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-06 04:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I got so sick of partying after 60 on my THF that all I do now is solo. FoV with my fellow, sync downs duos with some shell mates and campaign have become my sole source of XP. Sure, my skills aren't capped, and likely won't be until I hit level 75 and finally take the time to go cap them, but at least I avoid the headaches, the drama and don't have to spend the gil on gear I don't really need.