Picking Next Job To Take To 60... Should It Be THF?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Picking next job to take to 60... should it be THF?
Picking next job to take to 60... should it be THF?
By Beouvle 2009-12-24 16:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that may be true, but it sure wasn't as viable/profittable (exp wise) as partying. I guess my question would be does this fields of valor thing make soloing easier?

Honestly it seems the entire game is easier than it used to be. Level Synch in itself is a tremendous help.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 16:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FOV helps some jobs make it easier. Mostly it provides even greater benefit in the form of xp to lvl off of lower lvl mobs isntead of taking harder targets. Combine that with signet higher xp for ep/dc patch and soloing so much easier.
By Beouvle 2009-12-24 16:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ep/dc patch?

Aww, I think I see why it's easy now. They must have made those checks/mobs easier...

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 17:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Beouvle said:
ep/dc patch?
Aww, I think I see why it's easy now. They must have made those checks/mobs easier...
No back in the day Eps gave at most I think what was it 25ish xp and Dcs gave like 50. Now eps can give up to 77 and Dcs up to 97
By Beouvle 2009-12-24 17:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, that works just as well, I suppose with signet and field of valor you can do rather well for yourself soloing, if your job can do it.

I just did my first FoV before coming to work with lvl 1 DNC. Not bad at all! Now I just gotta find out where all the ideal places are for each level...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 17:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah wiki has a decent thing on all the FoV places like max lvl and recommened and what the mobs/xp are etc
[+]
By Beouvle 2009-12-24 17:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to live off the wiki when I used to play...

Blocked at work, though, so that's a bummer.. I'll no doubt check it out and most likely take up soloing while LFP while leveling stuff to 60.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-12-24 17:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

lvl BST!

its what cool people do
 Pandemonium.Areis
Server: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2009-12-24 19:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld/Dnc is a beast... the thing is your slow, but that's where your NPC comes in. Mine has been set to Fierce Attacker for every outing with my Pld. Currently at 43 I've been doing FoV in Yhoater Jungle (page 4, Crawlers & Opo-Opo) with EM~VT targets. Prior to this i was targeting mostly DC~EM targets. Drain Samba (and 40+ Curing Waltz) were very helpful, along with FoV Regen/Refresh or Sigil Regen/Refresh.

With the change in XP/kill for EP & DC mobs they are very reasonable to kill solo now yielding 60~100 XP instead of 10~50.

If you do go the soloing rout you might find doing a few assaults for Hi-potion tanks, or buying a few. Bring 10 or so Hi-potions with you eventually you won't need them but they will help you get comfortable with camps and what you can / cant do.

If you have any specific questions about where you might XP a certain job, and what SJ would be most beneficial I'd be happy to provide a few options (might take me a day or two to get back to you).
By Beouvle 2009-12-26 15:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Well guys, I decided on THF. Found 12 bags of acid bolts on a mule and just got me some Bounding Boots from Leaping Lizzy, so I'm pretty happy right now. Currently 16Thf/Rng.

Oh, and i've also learned quite a bit about FOV. I guess you can only do one page per Vandy day!? So lame! /Sigh oh well..
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-26 16:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually it's you can only accept 1 a day. So what I like to do sometimes is accept 1day. Afk/log till about middle of the next day. Blow thru that FOV page get another before the day changes do that one. By then it should be the day after grab page finish rq. Or if I am lazier just 2 at a time kind of thing
By Beouvle 2009-12-26 16:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, yeah i've thought about doing that. I learned about this while lvling a lvl 1 DNC, hehe..

I think when I got time i'll go take my thf to the highlands by the dunes and do some pages while LFP. Boy, I haven't been to the dunes in years.. ppl still party there right?

I should really just be finishing the beginning WotG missions. And register Beo on here... eck, so much to do!
By Beouvle 2010-01-07 19:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, just FYI having fun on Thf. Picked up an E. Hairpin (1/3 on NM) and leveled to 37THF/NIN now. :) It's pretty fun pulling stuff and seeing some crazy numbers from SATA. My regular DOT isn't TOO bad but definitely not going to be able to outdamage any good DD, but i'm sure my SATA closes the gap (Viper bite is very smexy!!) ;)

Very, very hard to land bolts on IT mobs, so I actually switched out my bow for a boomerang, but now that i'm high enough to have some of the +R ACC (the lvl 30 pieces.. um.. NOCT Gear) I may switch back to crossbow and macro that stuff in.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 19:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya :)

Later on you'll see your DoT skyrocket and it'll all just be wonderful :)

And yeah, you'll be fine with your Marksmanship as long as it's cappedish and you're eating sushi. In fact, pre-50~ or so, Xbow spamming will produce an incredible amount of damage and TP.
By Beouvle 2010-01-07 20:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe that's the problem, it's not capped. Going off the top of my head (last time i looked at combat skills on thf) I had 90-something capped dagger and 53 markmanship.

I LOVE using it (Xbow) while soloing but against PT mobs I feel like i'm just waisting time. Guess I better go cap it. And go buy that R ACC+ gear...

Right now I'm still using the lvl 25 windy daggers (DMG 13 ACC +2 ATK +5) even though I could pick up the federation daggers (DMG 15 ACC +3 (outside your nation ATK +7), it just doesn't seem like a decent boost to my DPS for the money, honestly...

In fact it looks like the next dagger that's really worth upgrading too is the bone daggers +1... all the way in the 40's! (which i'm honestly approaching anyways..

Am I being a scrooge or does that sound right to you thfs? I guess to be honest I hear the THF AF dagger is good to offhand..
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-07 20:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn scrooge!!!

Actually to help until I capped my skills I often offhanded a archers dagger and using some other racc gear that I'd be using anyways like rings that give both and such as well as sushi. Seemed to work good.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 20:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd definitely try to keep your weapons top-notch or damn close to. The very reason people invite you is to poke things with a sharp object, and the sharpness of said object is therefore of high importance!
By Beouvle 2010-01-07 22:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL

Very true Raen

I do know for a fact that I got those archer's daggers sitting on a mule. I think I'll combine that with the R ACC+ gear and give my XBOW another go in PT's.

And I guess I'll spring for the Federation daggers.. more dmg, better ACC, and the atk IS smexy.. and i'm a little less broke now than I used to be... So from there it'll probably be bone dagger +1 / Thf AF...

I also gotta look into more bolt choices... i've been only doing acid bolts up to now and the occasional sleep bolts for soloing (nothing is funner that Sleep bolt >> SA while soloing :) ).

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-07 22:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah and remember at that lvl att can be a little more awesome since VB doubles your attack.
By Beouvle 2010-01-07 22:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I only just saw that when I last played, while looking at it when I got it at lvl 34... So those federation Kukri give +14ATK combined, so +28 atk for VB.. not bad..

Plus selling my old daggers essentially pay for the new ones :)

Here's another THF question for my fellow forum lurkers ;) :

Picking coffers... is that even a legitimate way to get my AF? What are the success rates on your AF coffers? And all you do is trade "thief tools" to a coffer to do it right? It seems awfully risky... well, I usually just mnk/nin (mnk/thf now..) for coffer keys than (main job/whm) to find them. Unless their in some ugly, unfriendly place like the Temple of Ugglapeth (SP?) or something.

Phoenix.Wayako
Server: Phoenix
user: Wayako
By Phoenix.Wayako 2010-01-07 22:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

THF was my first job to bring up and I picked all my AF coffers solo. Maybe I was just lucky but I managed to get all of them picked without spawning mimics. For what its worth, I used skeleton keys instead of thief tools.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-01-07 23:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Id seriously consdider getting your jobs from 60 to 66.
 Asura.Humtum
Server: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-01-07 23:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

take thf to 75, its well worth the effort
 Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kumbai
By Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy 2010-01-07 23:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Humtum said:

Not really. Unless you know you'll get TH4.
 Asura.Humtum
Server: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-01-07 23:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i found it well worth it without th4
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-07 23:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy said:
Asura.Humtum said:
Not really. Unless you know you'll get TH4.
Yeah cause Th4 actually means anything for droprate
By Beouvle 2010-01-08 16:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'll get it to 60 before I worry about anything else, especially TH3/TH4...

I'll probably end up just going thf/whm to get coffers, as I think mimics can use draw in even on a Fleeing THF (right?) so it's not worth it ( I guess I could 2hr >>> warp cudgel or something).

I've been pretty busy trying to get my mnk a brown belt, so thf is still 37 :(

Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-01-08 16:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Beouvle said:
Well I'll get it to 60 before I worry about anything else, especially TH3/TH4...

I'll probably end up just going thf/whm to get coffers, as I think mimics can use draw in even on a Fleeing THF (right?) so it's not worth it ( I guess I could 2hr >>> warp cudgel or something).

I've been pretty busy trying to get my mnk a brown belt, so thf is still 37 :(

THF/SMN put out carbuncle and run out of like 30'. Or Garuda and us Aerial armor for assurance.
By Beouvle 2010-01-08 16:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oooo that is a good idea...

Think I could do that with a lvl 10 SMN? lol XD

Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-01-08 16:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Beouvle said:
Oooo that is a good idea...