Howling Fist VIT Cap?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Howling Fist VIT cap?
Howling Fist VIT cap?
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Corrin 2009-12-22 22:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it can proc on both. Ive only ever had it proc once on me, but yea that would rock if it could proc on both. . .

Wellllll you can treat it as a multi hit ws but I personally dont and have never had issues landing both hits. Or at least landing the first hit and doing good dmg still.
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-12-22 22:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said:
If it did really shitty damage, chances are the first hit missed.

Also, stacking secondary mods in for WS is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE for almost every WS, Howling fist included.

I really hope you meant the second of the 2 secondary mods(VIT), because all modifiers are dubbed "secondary"

Otherwise, you are completely wrong,secondary mods are where a LARGE chunk of damage comes from for weaponskills
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-22 22:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Stacking VIT is a good idea for Howling Fist!

And yeah, DA can theoretically fire from both hits, at least as far as we know...

Second hit of HF will be about 40% of the first, so should be fairly evident which of the two you miss :p
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2009-12-22 22:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Throw it in where you can't get any STR, or there's a huge chunk available, like Genbu's Kabuto. But don't wear VIT rings.
Quote:
Otherwise, you are completely wrong,secondary mods are where a LARGE chunk of damage comes from for weaponskills

Most WS have STR as both a secondary mod and a primary one (ie, fSTR).
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
Server: Leviathan
user: Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-22 22:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Any one try Faith Baghk's with HF? Does the DA proc?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-22 22:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

None of those kind of weapons have their DA proc on WS :(

VIT rings would be worse than STR rings here, but only marginally. It would only really be for the Attack... and if you're stacking enough STR, VIT rings could beat the STR rings globally.
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-12-22 22:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

In the case of H2h, Raen has already pointed out (since the low fSTR cap due to low base dmg) that adding str after that point would be (and is) nearly useless. Thus, since there is a much more significant boost from Vit alone, that it should be stacked.

The Only time I would agree with your statement would be when the mods are near equal,20-50 opposed to 50-50 or 20-20, such as is the case with weaponskills like Steel Cyclone, where Vit is only better when on pieces that vastly outweigh an increase in str (like you said Genbu's Kabuto)
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-22 23:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said:
Throw it in where you can't get any STR, or there's a huge chunk available, like Genbu's Kabuto. But don't wear VIT rings.
Quote:

Most WS have STR as both a secondary mod and a primary one (ie, fSTR).
Actually most ws only have fstr. There are only a handfull that have it as a ws mod too.

And frankly for most DDs against most xp lvl mobs capping fstr is pretty easy. And at 75 fstr is about equivalent to 30% on a ws mod thanks to lvl correcting and there are lots of times where you can just get much bigger numbers on something else anyway.

Or the stat gives other benefits. Like why I stack so much dex for DE. 1 I'm usually capped or close to fstr cap and 2 they add the same amount of dmg but dex adds acc while str only adds att.

Now fstr2 is different as it is twice as good as fstr so yeah sure
 Remora.Snomm
Server: Remora
user: Snomm
By Remora.Snomm 2009-12-22 23:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry if someone already posted the confirmation of how many hits Howling Fist is so ignore this if it was, but the answer is 2 hits. I don't know the math, but if only one hit were to land, the first does more damage than the second, probably due to the modifiers only on the first hit as mentioned. In short, 2 hits. I use a VIT build for Howling Fist and mostly only use it at 200-300% TP (mostly due to forgetting to WS) along with Focus to give a higher chance of landing both hits, but use Asuran Fists otherwise. The VIT build also doubles as a chakra build so it is a win/win.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-11 20:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I love howling fist. It's awesome watching a mnk getting inconsistent damage with asuran fists (gods for example) but keep trying it, then BAM I come in with a howling fist doubling the damage.

how does Aesthetics fury match up?
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-11 20:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fury is very weird.

For some mobs it does great for others it just does crappy.

For example, if you do ISNM, I guarantee you it'll consistently be your highest dmg'ing ws on the puk.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-11 20:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Fury is very weird.

For some mobs it does great for others it just does crappy.

For example, if you do ISNM, I guarantee you it'll consistently be your highest dmg'ing ws on the puk.

The main mnk in my LS pretty much says the same thing. He says the same thing about Final Heaven too, sometimes it doubles Asuran fists, but the next second it's hitting ridiculously low.