Item-Level Damage Exception-types?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Item-Level damage exception-types?
Item-Level damage exception-types?
By Felgarr 2024-03-16 18:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Damage_Type#Piercing

Are there any item-level weapons that deal different damage-types than their usual damage-type? Just looking for some fun, DD weapon combinations in specific situations where, a damage-type is preferred. i.e. Bilbo/Rapier-types do Piercing instead of Slashing like other swords.
By Nariont 2024-03-16 19:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately SE seemingly stopped doing most of those afaik. Was nice back in the day to have piercing/slashing h2h options, even if they were low level gear
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-16 19:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically stopped doing it, aside from the swords

Can't think of a single non-sword that's ilvl (crep scythe I suppose, technically)
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-03-16 20:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember using that Blunt Polearm. Which in hind sight was stupid as hell. Since I could of used staff.

IIRC only white damage was that type. weaponskills were still their native damage type.
By Nariont 2024-03-16 22:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, for all of them aside from special exceptions like that gkt and the pre-nerf twilight scythe(i think?) are AA dmg only, WS' are the normal weapons dmg type. Was pretty nice back when AA was most of the damage
VIP
By Lili 2024-03-16 22:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Bilbo/Rapier-types do Piercing instead of Slashing like other swords.

The page you link explicitly says that Bilbo-like swords deal Slashing even if their model looks like a rapier.

Anyway, Demersal Degen +1 seems to have kept the piercing white damage that Joyeuse had. I don't know of other ilvl items that do it.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-03-17 02:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
Bilbo/Rapier-types do Piercing instead of Slashing like other swords.

The page you link explicitly says that Bilbo-like swords deal Slashing even if their model looks like a rapier.

Anyway, Demersal Degen +1 seems to have kept the piercing white damage that Joyeuse had. I don't know of other ilvl items that do it.

I wish they implemented damage types for multiple weapons when the game came out.

Daggers Piercing
Katars Piercing
Rapiers Piercing.
Claws Slashing
Knives Slashing
Halberds Slashing
Etc
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-03-17 02:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Double post
 Asura.Karppa
user: Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2024-03-17 06:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Vampiric claws H2h slashing dmg
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-17 08:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any item-level weapons that deal different damage-types than their usual damage-type?

Asura.Karppa said: »

Huh?
By SimonSes 2024-03-17 08:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karppa said: »
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Damage_Type#Piercing

Are there any item-level weapons that deal different damage-types than their usual damage-type? Just looking for some fun, DD weapon combinations in specific situations where, a damage-type is preferred. i.e. Bilbo/Rapier-types do Piercing instead of Slashing like other swords.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-17 11:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They should have done a line of these weapons that have different damage types that includes WS damage. That would have made Odyssey Gaol fight job setups at upper veng levels so much more interesting.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-03-17 12:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

add a layer of weapon variety via special dmg types to the event that heavily promotes weapon variety on top of job variety? Now that's just silly
By SimonSes 2024-03-18 04:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
They should have done a line of these weapons that have different damage types that includes WS damage. That would have made Odyssey Gaol fight job setups at upper veng levels so much more interesting.

It would mostly be a big change for MNK and PUP, but other than that Idk.

Slashing polearm wouldn't do much, because all basic polearm WSs are rather weak. DRG would be better to just Naegling, even if that would create wall issues. It's hard to imagine blunt polearm, but it would be the same deal.

WAR blunt gaxe probably wouldn't matter, because without /sam and Hasso, WAR 2h dps is significantly worse and I can't imagine blunt dagger, so there will be no DNC main to support 2h build with haste samba. Loxotic Mace and Judgment would be simply better. Shining One is far better, especially when paired with DNC haste samba, than any possible piercing Sword and doing piercing Savage Blade without Naegling bonuses.

I guess piercing scythe is somewhere on the edge of my imagination, but would Cross reaper be good enough on it's own? Maybe if paired with WAR and Savagery, but then WAR will lose Haste Samba from DNC, seems meh.

Blunt Gsword is something, that maybe could make DRK available for Ngai I guess.
Same for Blunt Gkatana I guess. It would also be funny to have SAM slaying hardest mobs with Kendo sword lol
Both probably still worse than MNK and PUP

Blunt Axe wouldn't really help WAR, you have club already with similar WS and I doubt it would make BST viable for Ongo.

Ok I guess a slashing dagger could bring DNC to Kalunga and Mboze.

TL;DR Really I think it would mostly be a MNK and PUP opportunity to join Xevioso, Kalunga and Mboze and DNC to join Kalunga and Mboze. Especially PUP could change those fights a lot, because automaton can tank both adds without a problem and Howling Fists is a very decent WS for low attack scenario.
[+]
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2024-03-18 06:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Vampirism from SR is melee piercing
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-03-18 08:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Any ilvl weapon which would have changed type, that isn't h2h is pretty much useless anyway, because melee damage without Empy AM3 is just too low. I guess maybe WAR could reach some semi decent white damage with 2h weapon or 1h weapon with assist of DNC, but we still talking about like 5k dps in completely optimal setup.