Forum » FFXI » General » Defense Down Resistances
Defense Down Resistances
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-04 10:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully everyone knows that Dia, Box step, and Geomancy are in a different category than regular Defense Down and we don't need to go into that.

From my understanding Angon can't be resisted and gets you 25% defense down with merits and gear. Doing better than 25% but requiring accuracy checks are Corrosive Ooze from BST and Tourbillion from BLU at 35% 33% a piece. I assume all physical moves that have additional affects that apply defense down are all wind based.

My question is directed towards landing Defense Down on resistant mobs. Are all defense down effects Wind based, and thus don't land on wind and ice mobs more readily? Or does the source matter?

Example Corrosive Ooze, Venom Shower, and Tenebral Crush can be bursted and are not Wind aligned for their damage.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 11:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

BST Corrosive Ooze does not have a macc check. Corrosive Ooze (bst) and Tourbillion are 33% not 35%

All of the ones with a macc check are wind element regardless of what damage the affliction spell or ws deals

You also don't have to mb the spell. Skillchains directly reduce the resistance rank of their affected elements meaning casting Tenebral Crush during any wind affiliated skillchain will still benefit from the lowered wind resistance rank. All you lose is the macc bonus which I'm not even sure is clearly defined.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-04 11:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Great info, thanks
 Shiva.Ragnarzero
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ragnarzero 2024-03-04 15:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
BST Corrosive Ooze does not have a macc check.

I'm fairly certain it does. I haven't taken a naked BST into Dyna D anytime lately but I'm pretty sure without some MACC you will miss it.

Just like in the new Master trial, people were only landing Ooze after the RUN Gambit and Rayke the proper runes.
By Vankathka 2024-03-04 17:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No it doesn't it will land on Apex with no gear whatsoever, Purulent Ooze however does check for macc.

Could be defense moves it can't overwrite however.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-04 21:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This debate about Corrosive Ooze land rate comes up from time to time. Both Papesse and Falkirk mentioned a while ago that they land no matter what, except for instances where the target has an permanent opposing buff that can't be overwritten

[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 21:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There's other fun BST interactions that people seemingly never talk about like Zealous Snort's haste having higher priority than any Slow effect besides auras. Very fun on Kei
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-03-04 21:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of defense down:
I have a R15 Gungnir, it always seems to proc. Believe it's wind based though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-04 21:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
There's other fun BST interactions that people seemingly never talk about like Zealous Snort's haste having higher priority than any Slow effect besides auras. Very fun on Kei

Nobody talks about Acid Mist's -50% Attack Debuff. Under leveled pet is meh but still a very useful application. Though I suppose everything being a magical attack nowadays kind of hurt it's practicality in modern endgame.

BST only has 3 moves (oozes and TP drainkiss) now
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 21:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

the bandwagon curse