Please open If Horizon had a $1 monthly fee again
First Page 2 ... 19 20 21
 Asura.Rekcuf
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-30 14:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Please its fun let me read whoreizon stuff :( Please don't close threads like Horizon discord
[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2023-11-30 14:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

3/5 threads closed
ffxiah is a very toxic place to people who just want to enjoy classic
 Asura.Rekcuf
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-30 14:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sensarity said: »
3/5 threads closed
You can just play and not limit break in retail it hasn't even been 20 mins and you already replied lol.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-11-30 14:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rekcuf said: »
3/5 threads closed
You can just play and not limit break in retail.
sure but with how dyna works in modern ffxi you cant have the same level of drama as when some random LS takes your entry slot
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2023-11-30 14:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

3/5 threads closed

Please nuke this forum section.
3/5 threads closed, including one about explicitly buying accounts.

Private servers on here was a mistake.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-11-30 14:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

classic
Most of FFXIAH isn't inherently opposed to "classic FFXI", but HorizonXI isn't that. If you want something that actually sort of resembles old-school FFXI, there are a bunch of other servers out there. For example, Eden has a ton of people, and very few changes to the game.

HorizonXI is neither modern nor classic FFXI. It's someone's handcrafted Bizarro FFXI with a weird cult following that goes around and preaches about it in every comment section of every YouTube video or social media post. I've never seen any other private server community do that.

We'd ignore it if we were allowed to. We wouldn't bat an eye at it if it wasn't a disgusting perversion of other peoples' efforts.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-11-30 14:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Horizon opened my eyes. I logged in yesterday and poof. I was blasted back to high school. It was a out of body experience. I don't think I can play retail anymore because of how amazing Horizon actually is. I don't want to kill tree or bumba anymore. Its all about grinding relics. I'm trying RDM out and I love the changes. I'm not strong anymore and I need to work hard to get there and I love it. Right now I am level 30 and I brought 1000000m worth of gil from Notaeric on Brogamer. I can't wait to get strong enough to try HNMs

Its over Retail boys. Give up that garabage retail crap and come to the big boy side

[+]
By Dodik 2023-11-30 14:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's bring back FFXIV 1.0 while we're at it. That ***was wild and even more grindy and ridiculous than circa 2005 XI.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-11-30 14:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Y'all are wild, and I'm here for it. Inb4 thread lock/bans.

[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-11-30 14:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
sure but with how dyna works in modern ffxi you cant have the same level of drama as when some random LS takes your entry slot

If I had a dollar for every time I got messages of "Your boy Jumeya jacked our zone again" lol
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-30 14:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Retail XI left a bitter taste in your mouth?

horizonparty.org
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-30 14:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerec probably bought that domain to make sure upstanding model citizens like myself cant have any fun.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-11-30 14:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
horizonparty.org

Is this a lemonparty reference?
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-11-30 14:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
We wouldn't bat an eye at it if it wasn't a disgusting perversion of other peoples' efforts.

Nothing more needs to be said.

If all y'all private server people truly want to talk private server stuff without 'our negativity', make your own website for it, don't piggyback.

...actually, piggybacking is exactly what y'all are best at.
[+]
By Mrxi 2023-11-30 15:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate private servers and think they are scum bags for trying to recruit for their dog ***server on a retail forum.
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 15:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of FFXIAH isn't inherently opposed to "classic FFXI",
I dunno man. I was a founding member of Eden and I also founded, owned, and operated Wings for 2 years, (and also am one of the brainchildren for what eventually became Horizon) and the amount of retail players I have encountered that have turned into screeching banshees the moment you bring up the terms "classic" or "private server" is so insanely high that I feel pretty confident that you're just wrong about that. Honestly though, that feeling goes the other way too. Hardcore private server players are pretty big tantrum babies when it comes to talking about retail too. They refuse to admit that retail, or honestly anything after Wings of the Goddess ever added anything of value to the game. And don't even get them started on Abyssea.

Horizon sort of fits somewhere in the middle of these two things and I think that's why it garners such a reaction from people. Hardcore "classic" players hate it because it isn't hardcore classic, and retail players hate it because it's a private server and in their (tiny) minds, private servers are bad cause "they pull people away from playing retail."

I'm not super sure that last part is really something they actually believe or not though. People who play classic play it because they want a different experience than what retail has to offer, that group of folks is never a group you were gonna get onto retail again anyways.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2023-11-30 15:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

no.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-11-30 15:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gweivyth said: »
I dunno man. I was a founding member of Eden and I also founded, owned, and operated Wings for 2 years, (and also am one of the brainchildren for what eventually became Horizon) and the amount of retail players I have encountered that have turned into screeching banshees the moment you bring up the terms "classic" or "private server" is so insanely high that I feel pretty confident that you're just wrong about that. Honestly though, that feeling goes the other way too. Hardcore private server players are pretty big tantrum babies when it comes to talking about retail too. They refuse to admit that retail, or honestly anything after Wings of the Goddess ever added anything of value to the game. And don't even get them started on Abyssea.

Horizon sort of fits somewhere in the middle of these two things and I think that's why it garners such a reaction from people. Hardcore "classic" players hate it because it isn't hardcore classic, and retail players hate it because it's a private server and in their (tiny) minds, private servers are bad cause "they pull people away from playing retail."

I'm not super sure that last part is really something they actually believe or not though. People who play classic play it because they want a different experience than what retail has to offer, that group of folks is never a group you were gonna get onto retail again anyways.

Completely missed the point- we don't disregard the nostalgia or desire for a "classic XI", our issue is completely based on the abuse and bastardization of others' works and claiming its their own. Toss around words like "homage" or "respect" all you want- at the end of the day its just plagiarism. That's our issue, not the concept of Classic.
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 15:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Completely missed the point- we don't disregard the nostalgia or desire for a "classic XI", our issue is completely based on the abuse and bastardization of others' works and claiming its their own. Toss around words like "homage" or "respect" all you want- at the end of the day its just plagiarism. That's our issue, not the concept of Classic.
You're sort of fighting a boogeyman of your own creation if that's what you believe though. Nobody in the private server community is claiming that XI is their work, I've never seen anyone make that sort of claim in the 5-6 years I ran in that space, so unless there is some sort of new phenomenon where people do that I'm just not sure how you would come to that conclusion.

If official classic servers existed, I truly believe that pretty much nobody would play on private servers, period. I base that claim on the fact that pretty much nobody plays on any of the non-75 capped private servers. Their existence is a symptom of an unfulfilled market for players who want that sort of experience, it isn't really more complicated than that. In fact, that's how I even got interested in them to begin with. I got tired of playing classic WoW servers and was like "You know I wonder if XI has those..." My first instinct was not to go to retail because I already knew that the game had changed drastically and that wasn't what I was looking for.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-11-30 15:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
no.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-30 15:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 15:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So after I made my post above, someone sent me a screenshot on Discord of Horizon replacing Square's branding in the client.

So yeah I take back everything I said, burn 'em to the ground.
[+]
By Zehira 2023-11-30 15:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

As I have said in the other thread "this site belongs only to retail players" and asked, "What's the point of this subforum."
Since classic FFXI is very easy to know what to do, I see no need for this subforum honestly.

Hope everyone is well!
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-11-30 16:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So after I made my post above, someone sent me a screenshot on Discord of Horizon replacing Square's branding in the client.

So yeah I take back everything I said, burn 'em to the ground.

my god, sue them for all they're worth... a double cheeseburger from Burger King.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-30 16:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this discussion with someone in the other thread about this but I'll pose the same question to you:

Do you think if there were no PS at all, 100% of the PS players would choose to not play retail? Not even 1%? 2%? 5%?

If a single player who's currently playing PS would be playing retail if PS poofed off the face of the Earth tomorrow, then PS are affecting retail populations. There ya go.
[+]
By Kipling 2023-11-30 16:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does this sub forum exist? Look at the ads on the side of the website and that’s all the answer you need. Anything to drive traffic. Going to guess the number of FFXI players who are older and don’t know how to use an ad blocker is pretty high.

It’s certainly not because any of us “private server people” asked for it. I honestly didn’t know people still used these forums until recently.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-11-30 16:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We're defensive of those who make the products we've fallen in love with since childhood, and we respect the writers, composers, and programmers that gave us those things. Bastardizing them into your own personal kingdom is what's upsetting us. And no, we're not defending SE blindly....we're defending Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, and hundreds of individuals.

NOT the miniscule population bump it takes away from retail. On that bit you are quite accurate.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-30 16:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m proud to say the thread I opened isn’t locked.
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 16:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

I had this discussion with someone in the other thread about this but I'll pose the same question to you:

Do you think if there were no PS at all, 100% of the PS players would choose to not play retail? Not even 1%? 2%? 5%?

If a single player who's currently playing PS would be playing retail if PS poofed off the face of the Earth tomorrow, then PS are affecting retail populations. There ya go.
I would answer "Retail XI is probably better off because of private servers existing."

Before Horizon, the private server scene was honestly pretty microscopic, we're talking maybe 1500ish total people and that's being pretty generous. It wasn't until Horizon came along and did a BOATLOAD of marketing via YouTube, Facebook, Google Ads and other avenues that the private server scene really saw any sort of meaningful growth in size. Suddenly there were a LOT of people who hadn't seen or thought about FFXI in years who were like "Whoa wait a minute I should go try that out again!" Considering that their peak player count was something like 4.5k, how many of those people do you think eventually resubbed to retail and played again? 1%? 2%? 5%? By the way, that peak number only accounts for 4.5k people being online at the same time. The more meaningful number to look out for would be the average unique connections per day, which is a better metric to see how many people are using the service on the daily. That number in my experience is about 2.5x the amount of your peak, so if Horizon has drawn in 13000~ returning players to XI, and even 5% of those people end up resubbing to retail, that means that retail gets at least 560 players' worth of revenue. (About $6700/month.) I think that percentage might be higher though, I know a lot of people who play both simultaneously since dual boxing stopped being as popular on pservers, many folks just dual box retail and a pserver.

Private servers are doing more to advertise FFXI right now than SquareEnix has done in a long time. I think your take would probably be objectively correct if things were still the same way they were a few years ago, but things have changed and I can't help but think that maybe Square is just fine with getting 100% free advertisement for a product that they've already declared to be in maintenance mode.
First Page 2 ... 19 20 21