Vanya Augments
 Leviathan.Fosco
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2023-08-16 10:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning,

Got a question about which Vanya augments to do, specifically for the head and feet, both of which I just got yesterday (finally back in the game after nine years).

Hat-
I currently have the Nahtirah Hat, which has 10% fast cast and 5% Haste. Everything I'm seeing in the guide thread has the Vanya Hood with Path D augments, which has 10% Fast Cast and 2% Haste.

Is there something I'm missing that makes the Vanya Hood better?

Feet-
I currently have the Cure Clogs, which give -15% cure cast time. Is there a reason I should go with the Path D Augments on the Vanya Clogs instead of path A? Obviously I'm going to use them for the actual cure cast, but it seems like if I don't need the spell speed reduction because I already have the Cure Clogs, I should take Path A.
By Felgarr 2023-08-16 10:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while since I WHM'ed, so I hope I still remember this correctly.

Fast Cast matters in your pre-cast set. Meanwhile if you use FC in your midcast set, you'll reduce recast up to a certain amount.

Haste matters in your mid-cast set and also reduces recast.

If I remember correctly, Cure Casting Time Minus is used in the midcast set, but I may be mistaken because I don't really rely on this stat to get the fastest possible Cures with the lowest possible recast.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-08-16 10:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fosco said: »
Good morning,

Got a question about which Vanya augments to do, specifically for the head and feet, both of which I just got yesterday (finally back in the game after nine years).

Hat-
I currently have the Nahtirah Hat, which has 10% fast cast and 5% Haste. Everything I'm seeing in the guide thread has the Vanya Hood with Path D augments, which has 10% Fast Cast and 2% Haste.

Is there something I'm missing that makes the Vanya Hood better?

Feet-
I currently have the Cure Clogs, which give -15% cure cast time. Is there a reason I should go with the Path D Augments on the Vanya Clogs instead of path A? Obviously I'm going to use them for the actual cure cast, but it seems like if I don't need the spell speed reduction because I already have the Cure Clogs, I should take Path A.

Clogs should be Path B, +20 more healing skill for cursna. Just use the cure clogs or hygenia for precast

- cast time does not affect recast. Fast cast will reduce recast by 1/2 of your fast cast amount up to 80% (40%). Haste reduces recast up to gear cap 1:1
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-08-16 11:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Path B for both, don't use either in any set other than Cursna, IMO.

Bunzi hat has 10% FC and also has other uses, has DT, etc. The Unity boots are better for cure cast time.

Neither should be used in midcast for anything other than Cursna.
[+]
By Beau 2023-08-16 11:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Can get multiple pairs of each for different sets since they're not rare/ex, i.e. conserve MP, healing skill, FC. Also, once you pay the eschalixir requirements for augmenting them, you can always change their augment path at a later date if your set needs change (at I believe only a small escha silt cost, if not free).

I use 2 x Hoods, 1 Slops, 1 Clogs.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2023-08-16 12:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

dude hasn't played in 9 years, some of these suggestions seem to disregard that fact

just use whatever augment you need for cure potency atm, change to b for cursna later when you can cap with other pieces. there a lot of obtainable options for FC these days

if you want or need something to build your sets based on what your options are, let me know i can pm you something
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2023-08-16 13:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Path B for both, don't use either in any set other than Cursna, IMO.

Bunzi hat has 10% FC and also has other uses, has DT, etc. The Unity boots are better for cure cast time.

Neither should be used in midcast for anything other than Cursna.

While not wrong regarding bunzi, it's a great long term goal and not beginner gear.

regarding the poster's comment, the vanya head has a total of 10% fast cast, 8% haste with the augments, so mathematically, that's better than 10 fc and 5% haste.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Community_White_Mage_Guide

I'd reference this guide for gear related questions if you aren't already. I'm guessing that's what you looked at. Notice vanya hood is in the B tier set, which despite being positioned as the middle tier gear, is the lowest of the 3 posted.

The Vanya set is great at capping cure potency for non whm jobs like blm and geo, since their healing options are far more limited. It's what I think most would consider a starting set for whm because you can get multiple pieces to augment different ways, and it covers most of the basics.

As your gear improves, you'll replace most if not all of it for fast cast and cure potency, but healing skill is still valuable for cursna, which is why some mentioned getting it for that.

To answer about the feet, Fast cast is always better than "x-spell" cast time as it only affects the casting time and not the recast time like fast cast does. That being said, Vanya feet has the same cure casting time- as the cure clogs, but with the addition of conserve mp and cure pot. The goal you're shooting for is cure potency 50, so if you have a comparable fast cast/spell casting time set, then your time will be better spent upgrading cure pot.

A thing to also consider, quick cast really isn't great for curing spells, especially if you're working with any kind of gearswap because your potency gear won't have time to equip. I only use quick cast in my raise/reraise precast/casting sets because nothing impacts the power of those spells or the duration. I do also pack idle refresh gear, conserve mp and max mp gear into those sets.
VIP
By Lili 2023-08-16 17:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Timepassesbye said: »
quick cast really isn't great for curing spells, especially if you're working with any kind of gearswap

Gearswap the windower addon has no issues whatsoever dealing with quickcast. It swaps gear properly for the midcast.

Ingame equipsets can't do that, and quickcast can be an hindrance in that case.

Important difference.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-08-16 17:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
quick cast really isn't great for curing spells, especially if you're working with any kind of gearswap

Gearswap the windower addon has no issues whatsoever dealing with quickcast. It swaps gear properly for the midcast.

Ingame equipsets can't do that, and quickcast can be an hindrance in that case.

Important difference.

Legacy Ashitacast and Luashitacast also no issues dealing with QC.
 Leviathan.Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2023-08-17 09:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

regarding the poster's comment, the vanya head has a total of 10% fast cast, 8% haste with the augments, so mathematically, that's better than 10 fc and 5% haste.

I completely missed the haste numbers on the hat, I blame COVID brain fog.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. My main concern right now is getting my potency back up, and the second main goal is to +1 my empy gear.

I am also using gearswap. Is there a new equivalent to spellcast? I remember that making my life a lot easier but it seems it's dead. Specifically the part where I could just type out spells to cast instead of going through macros.

I don't know how to post a gearset image so here's what my set is currently:

main="Queller Rod", (path D)
sub="Sors Shield",
ammo="Oreiad's Tathlum",
head="Ebers Cap",
body="Ebers Bliaut",
hands="Theo. Mitts +1",
legs="Ebers Pantaloons",
feet="Rubeus Boots",
neck="Phalaina Locket",
waist="Bishop's Sash",
left_ear="Roundel Earring",
right_ear="Beatific Earring",
left_ring="Sirona's Ring",
right_ring="Janniston Ring",
back={ name="Alaunus's Cape", augments={'MND+20','MND+5','Enmity-10',}}

I have a Tamaxchi I can switch back to for some more potency, but if I do path A with the Vanya boots and +1 my Empy hat if my math is right that will put me at 50% exactly. I also have an Orison Earring that I can use to give a bit more until I can +1 the hat, and I'm working on getting the Glorious Earring.

For context, I'm probably only ever going to be a pretty casual player. I have some friends that are playing and I'd like to be able to do stuff with them/help one of them get through the story. I did land in a super helpful LS so I can do stuff like ambuscade and vagary but I'm not sure I'll ever be doing hardcore endgame content.

honestly I'm mostly back because I've been playing XIV and you can't club things and I thought my character was deleted but found out he wasn't and now I'm back happily clubbing things
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2023-08-17 09:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember that making my life a lot easier but it seems it's dead. Specifically the part where I could just type out spells to cast instead of going through macros.
i believe shorthand is what you're looking for here
[+]
 Leviathan.Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2023-08-17 09:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
I remember that making my life a lot easier but it seems it's dead. Specifically the part where I could just type out spells to cast instead of going through macros.
i believe shorthand is what you're looking for here
I see Shortcuts in Windower's list, that's the same thing?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-08-17 09:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's called Shortcuts, or at least that's what my friends call it.
[+]