Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Shantotto Expansion Options for Mnk
Shantotto Expansion Options for Mnk
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-03 15:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently weighing my options in regard to Shantotto gear. The jobs I have to think about are Rdm, Blm, and Mnk. All have fairly decent gear, Byakko haidate and Mahatma slops for example. I do salvage so I wouldn't want to create a piece that would be replaced by salvage gear in time.

I have a d.legs abjuration that I was waiting to uncurse until after the gear from Shantotto was released. So these are my choices:

1.)Dex2 Agi2
Attack7 Accuracy7

2.)Int2 Mnd2 Chr2
Movement Speed 8% Physical Damage Taken -4%

3.)Int2 Mnd2 Chr2
Cure Potency+5% Mp+25 Enmity -4

If I pick any of the mage pieces I'll be getting Shura Haidate +1. So the real choice is how would the Shantotto legs compare to Haidate +1 for mnk? I assume they would be a bit better for AF considering how little STR modifies that WS.

Thoughts?
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 15:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shantoto pants are worse then NQ shura haidate.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-03 15:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If gaiters aren't in your future anytime soon, I'd probably do the second option. Unless you're on RDM a lot more than BLM, I guess.

The augment selection this time around wasn't as great.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-03 15:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They would have more accuracy and attack. Does the 10% Str modifier of AF really make Shura better? 7 accuracy 2.5 attack maybe 1fstr increase beats 8 accuracy and 7 attack?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 15:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I take it back, sidegrade to NQ shura, HQ shura still beat them (Only thing keeping them afloat to NQ shura is the 1 acc the 5 str beats the 7 attack)
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-03 15:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
I take it back, sidegrade to NQ shura, HQ shura still beat them (Only thing keeping them afloat to NQ shura is the 1 acc the 5 str beats the 7 attack)

Well he said he was getting HQ Shura if he didn't do the pants for MNK, so it'd still be a mistake.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-03 15:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

How does 5str beat 7 attack for AF? Not trying to knock you, just wanting to understand it better. I was always under the assumption that attack > str for AF.

Edit: 6str since we're talking about HQ Shura.
 Fairy.Vytiss
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2009-11-03 15:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Movement speed ftw!
even SAM can wear em!
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 15:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"They would have more accuracy and attack. Does the 10% Str modifier of AF really make Shura better? 7 accuracy 2.5 attack maybe 1fstr increase beats 8 accuracy and 7 attack?"

It's not about the str mod in general. On asuran I go by the same rule for str vs attack in tp phase, which is Fstr. Even if it had a 0% str mod.

When you look at things like togi vs osode, that's 20 attack vs 10 str, double the amount, but in a 1/1 ratio 1 str > 1 attack easily. 5 str easily beats out 7 attack. 10 or greater to beat it rly. That 1 acc does save the day though in shura pant's worse case scenario (2 attack from str instead of 3, only 1 fstr), but any situation where you'd be getting 2 fstr, shura pants win hands down, and they're about the same when u get 3 attack from shura pants.

That being said, I'll call them a sidegrade.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 15:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
How does 5str beat 7 attack for AF? Not trying to knock you, just wanting to understand it better. I was always under the assumption that attack > str for AF.

Edit: 6str since we're talking about HQ Shura.

Cause it's not 6 str vs 7 attack. 6 str gives you 3 attack so now its 1-2 fstr vs 4 attack.
 Asura.Crewe
Server: Asura
user: Crewe
By Asura.Crewe 2009-11-03 15:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM No Wyrmal Cure Potency +5%, Movement Speed +8%, Can reach 20% Cure Potency with that apollo's and roundel.

BLM no Herald's +8% movement speed, and if you do events etc. the -damage shouldn't be much of a factor seeing your tanks should be able to get hate back asap.

MNK Stick with Haidate/Shura +1, don't even think about getting movement speed on MNK due to sandals which iirc are about 1.1 or on my server at least.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-03 15:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vytiss said:
Movement speed ftw!
even SAM can wear em!

Considering I'm on my BLM a lot, and Blm actually gets very much use out of movement speed (much more than sam would) I wouldn't pick the Sam pants.

Somewhat related, I do have plans to lvl sam, so to be honest I'm more tempted to make HQ shura because of it's use on Sam and Mnk together. Just wanted to brainstorm on the Shantotto piece, because in all honesty Sam is probably a couple months away from completion and Shantotto could always be redone.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 15:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's say your attack is 500 on G colibri. The acc on the 2 are the same so it comes down to whether we want 4 attack or 1-2 fstr(Shura pants+1 give 3 attack from the str so eliminating all same factors we end up w/ our choice in 4 attack vs 1-2 fstr)

G colibri have 293 defense after dia II

((504/293)-.35)/((500/293)-.35) = 1.006% increase

1 fstr. Assuming after ws mods and fstr we're at 70 base DMG
1/70 = 1.4286% increase

2 fstr
2/70 = 2.857% increase.

You'll get 1 fstr about half the time and 2 fstr the other half
(2.857 + 1.4286)/2 = 2.1428% average increase

2.1428 > 1.006
 Carbuncle.Rebwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: Rebwolf
By Carbuncle.Rebwolf 2009-11-03 15:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I also got the Shura +1 haidate. People are trying to tell me that +7 attack would be better. That's like saying Bando Kote would be worse if it had +22 str instead of +22 att. I think people are going to nutty about the att > str thing. I the general idea is to be taken as more of a ratio like Vegetto said.

I of course have a very unusual Asuran Fists setup, however I do what I consider to be good asuran fists. On Greater Col. I've maxed out in the 1300's which I think is pretty good. I average about 1k with a 2 brd pt.

My AF set is.

Temple Gloves
Anwig Salade *15 ws accurcay, 10 att + 10 acc*
Chiv Chain
Diabolos Earring
Ethereal Earring
Tiphia Sting
Kirin's Osode (I think 10 str and 10 vit is comparable to 20 attack from shura)
Rajas Ring
Ultha Ring
Forager's Mantle (augmented with +1 vit)
Warwolf Belt (augmented with +3 attack)
Shura Haidate +1
Denali Feet

I then Boost and swap out Temple Gloves for Bando Kote.

I would also like to note that my AF are consistent in damage. I don't feel like I need more acc, hence the Kirin's Osode. If I didn't have Anwig Salade it's be another thing.

I'd like to know what Vegetto has to say about my setup.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 16:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I can do the exact math later on the 10 str 10 vit vs 20 attack, but keep in mind if your acc isn't capped shrua's acc will win pretty much every time.

You have a Rajas, so I can see you have sea. Get ws gorget. Life belt > warwolf in uncapped acc. rest looks pretty solid except for what I've already addressed.
 Carbuncle.Rebwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: Rebwolf
By Carbuncle.Rebwolf 2009-11-03 16:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

WS gorget brings another point. I know it raises acc but if you considered you landing all hits everytime would the gorget be better or the 3 str on chiv chain? I know that's a very wierd question.

Also I was thinking would faith torque be better to WS in than everything? I think it would be... and would it be the best to TP in? I have like 13 pop sets but no one can help me kill him lol
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-03 16:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Vegetto, I'll be passing on making a mnk piece out of the Shantotto gear.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-03 16:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rebwolf said:
WS gorget brings another point. I know it raises acc but if you considered you landing all hits everytime would the gorget be better or the 3 str on chiv chain? I know that's a very wierd question.

Also I was thinking would faith torque be better to WS in than everything? I think it would be... and would it be the best to TP in? I have like 13 pop sets but no one can help me kill him lol

Gorget > toqrue > chiv
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
Server: Bahamut
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2009-12-01 10:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, I was wondering what I should do with ASA legs for MNK being that I dont have Usukane, Byakko's, or Shura atm. I'm looking at going after Byakko's and Shura in the future and Usukane if I get lucky. But just to hold me over, should I do Haste+ACC, or is there a better option for MNK?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 10:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste and acc will hold you over, but when you get byakko's, then they become useless, but since you can swap, no reason not to get the haste pants for now.
 Asura.Shambo
user: Shambo
By Asura.Shambo 2009-12-01 10:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

a fist fula vegetto in ur MOUTH, why you switch to fairy. I'm a call you big black from now on
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 10:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shambo said:
a fist fula vegetto in ur MOUTH, why you switch to fairy. I'm a call you big black from now on
? I've never used the server transfer service before. My character was created on Fairy. Vegetto is a common name though, so you may have me mistaken for another.
 Asura.Shambo
By Asura.Shambo 2009-12-01 10:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

r u that one black guy that hate korpg
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 10:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shambo said:
r u that one black guy that hate korpg
I don't hate him, but yea that's me. He started it with me, I finished it with him. It's done as far as I'm concerned till he *** with me some more. Other than that, couldn't care less about the guy.

But what's that have to do with my server? I've always been on Fairy.
 Asura.Shambo
By Asura.Shambo 2009-12-01 10:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

OMGOSH MY friend obliske switch to that server and i was like maybe he wants to pvp u because your're good at it, and he's also black. honest
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 10:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ballista is long dead on Fairy, but I always enjoy the occasional Diorama.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2009-12-01 12:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Haste and acc will hold you over, but when you get byakko's, then they become useless, but since you can swap, no reason not to get the haste pants for now.
Thanks Vegetto. This is exactly what I was thinking, I just the opinion of a few others to make sure it was the wise move.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2009-12-01 14:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ballista is long dead on Fairy, but I always enjoy the occasional Diorama.
Let me ask, what subjob you normally do Diorama with? I'm just asking because I wanna do some testing with different subjobs next time I do a Diorama. I have been using /BRD as of late to take care of issues with swarms of people charging at me and for the buff ability for the rest of my group.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 15:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretty much go exclusively Mnk/blu or Mnk/pld. If I use anything else, it's a rare occasion for a particular enemy or with a particular purpose in mind.

/blu gives cocoon, cures (wild carrot), auto-regen, wipes shadows (queesyshrrom), wipes third eye even w/ seigan up on the first *** (battledance), makes it easier to score (sheep song lands incredibly well and I've used it plenty of times to sleep people trying to prevent me from scoring).

I'll go /pld whenever there's a good number of ppl at the match w/ acid bolts or angons, as they overwrite cocoon. Then you have sentinel, cures, auto refresh, and flash to work with.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-01 15:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well most of those points apply for diorama too, but was mainly speaking official match there.
First Page 2