(Does) Occ. Absorbs Magic Damage (stack)?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » (Does) Occ. Absorbs Magic Damage (stack)?
(Does) Occ. Absorbs Magic Damage (stack)?
By Felgarr 2024-03-27 21:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
-I still don't know for sure if it's + or x lol. Could be either one within margin of error and I'd need to get more samples to know for sure, but...
Barspells and Carol effects are pretty similar. Element specific, both nullify the damage (not absorb).

There's not many other items that can annul magic damage in game.
Ajax+1, and that's it? And you don't really use that in current-day scenarios.
Well there's Founder's Breastplate and Srivatsa, but they annul all damage (not specifically magic) and I wouldn't say they're particularly relevant either nowadays.

Shadow Ring, being a slightly different effect from the Carol/Barspell one, probably is a separate check? Altough still subject to the max 40% cap that you found out, and that's what really matters I guess.
Shame you can't reach the 40% cap with just carol and barspell.

Weeeeeeell... Technically you can, with Soulvoice.
You go from 27% rate to 54% 40%.
Which personally perfectly matches with my experience.
On a hunch, without ever parsing, I always had the feeling that the annul rate with SV wasn't double as much the basic one, and thanks to Prothescar's test now we know exactly why.

@Felgarr
Archon is not relevant for this test because its rate of damage annulation only happens when the incoming damage would deal more than a certain % (85%?) of your health.
It's SEVERE magic damage, not plain magic damage.

Yeah, I'm aware of that difference. I didn't know it was 85% of your health (or if it was some other value that would kill you, had Archon not been active). I mean, he did say this set was to prevent getting floored by vivisection, so I don't see why you wouldn't include SEVERE damage mitigation too.
[+]