George Takei vs Hobby Lobby
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-03 19:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow he isn't giving up!

George Takei: What if Muslims Owned Hobby Lobby and Tried Imposing Sharia Law on Employees?

Quote:
I’ve often said that these conservatives wading into the tricky waters of claiming “religious freedom” to justify breaking (or passing) laws should really be careful what they wish for. It’s advice I’d give to all of those conservatives who are celebrating the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby ruling.
And based on his brilliant response to that ruling, George Takei seems to be an individual who understands this as well.
Posting his response on the website for his play Allegiance, Takei made several fantastic points concerning not only the hypocrisy of this ruling, but the dangerous precedent it could set going forward.

Takei wrote, “The ruling elevates the rights of a FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION over those of its women employees and opens the door to all manner of claims that a company can refuse services based on its owner’s religion.”
“Think about the ramifications: As Justice Ginsberg’s stinging dissent pointed out, companies run by Scientologists could refuse to cover antidepressants, and those run by Jews or Hindus could refuse to cover medications derived from pigs (such as many anesthetics, intravenous fluids, or medications coated in gelatin).” he continued.
And that’s the slippery slope for which this ruling potentially opens the door. Where will the line be drawn where you say to a company, “Sorry, but your religious beliefs aren’t protected?”
What if someone who owns a corporation is anti-vaccine? What if they then say it’s against their religious beliefs for their company to offer health care that covers vaccines? Based upon this Supreme Court ruling, they could theoretically be within their rights to claim that.
But the best point Takei made was in a direct shot at right-wing ignorance. He wrote, “In this case, the owners happen to be deeply Christian; one wonders whether the case would have come out differently if a Muslim-run chain business attempted to impose Sharia law on its employees.”
As we all know, when these conservatives talk about “religious freedoms” they’re really only referring to Christianity.
He also went on to make the point that Hobby Lobby has invested in companies which produce the morning after pill and it gets much of its inventory from China, a country where forced abortions are common.
In other words, they’re blatant hypocrites.

“Hobby Lobby is not a church. It’s a business — and a big one at that,” Takei continued. “Businesses must and should be required to comply with neutrally crafted laws of general applicability. Your boss should not have a say over your healthcare. Once the law starts permitting exceptions based on “sincerely held religious beliefs” there’s no end to the mischief and discrimination that will ensue. Indeed, this is the same logic that certain restaurants and hotels have been trying to deploy to allow proprietors to refuse service to gay couples.”
Once again, he’s absolutely right.
For some reason conservatives seem to think that a lack of options equates to “more” freedom. Before this ruling, women working at Hobby Lobby had the option to have access to these contraceptives. Now they won’t.
If the owners of Hobby Lobby reject specific types of contraceptives, that’s fine. They don’t have to use them. But now their beliefs are being imposed on women who might not share those same beliefs.
Take a good look, because that’s how an employer can determine an employee’s health care coverage. Because a woman working at Hobby Lobby now can’t get health care coverage for certain contraceptives, not because she’s against them, but because her employer is.
How exactly is that respecting her religious freedoms?
Takei also points out religion is a way many conservatives have tried justifying discrimination against homosexuals. These “religious freedom” bills that essentially give businesses the right to deny service to homosexuals based on their religious beliefs.
The bottom line is, religion has no place in government or in business. If someone wants to express their religious views to others, they need to start a church – not a for-profit corporation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-03 20:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, this is all great in hypothetical land, but the free market would destroy almost any business that would attempt anything too outrageous.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-03 20:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, this is all great in hypothetical land, but the free market would destroy almost any business that would attempt anything too outrageous.

Not necessarily. I don't know if Allah considers macaroni pictures an affront to faith, but if you set up a sharia law hobby store in a Muslim-dominated district, why would it be any worse off?

Also, the free market isn't some perfect machine that self-corrects. The early 20th century proved that. If a Hobby store has a stranglehold on the market by artificially out-competing then it can pretty much do whatever it wants (See: Starving Wal*Mart Employees)

Now, the issue of course is that it's obviously ridiculous that a Hobby-store would have a stranglehold on anything other than the demographic of registered sex offenders and unexposed serial killers.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-03 20:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Indeed, this is the same logic that certain restaurants and hotels have been trying to deploy to allow proprietors to refuse service to gay couples.
And each time they try to assert this, they've failed miserably. They have an immense hurdle to climb besides proving sincere beliefs. I understand the concern here and don't think decisions like these should be taken lightly, but people are overreacting to this one in particular.

If religious conservatives want the government providing healthcare for even more people, then I say let them rally for it before they realize they're only shooting themselves in the foot.
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Now, the issue of course is that it's obviously ridiculous that a Hobby-store would have a stranglehold on anything other than the demographic of registered sex offenders and unexposed serial killers.
Hey, craft stores are fun :( But the HL I went into had this strange, saccharine-sweet atmosphere to it that makes you wonder if there's a dark altar hidden beneath the construction paper isle littered with the remains of those unlucky few who got to close to their secrets.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-03 21:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not necessarily. I don't know if Allah considers macaroni pictures an affront to faith, but if you set up a sharia law hobby store in a Muslim-dominated district, why would it be any worse off?

Well sure, it might fare well in a Muslim-dominated district, but it's essentially limiting itself to said district.

Also, the free market isn't some perfect machine that self-corrects. The early 20th century proved that. If a Hobby store has a stranglehold on the market by artificially out-competing then it can pretty much do whatever it wants (See: Starving Wal*Mart Employees)

Aren't most stores with a "stranglehold on the market" publicly traded anyway, thereby exempting themselves from the ruling? And really, Hobby Lobby is only an issue because it's already large. I wouldn't think a startup could grow a business as large as that with some of Takei's paranoid examples already in place.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-07-03 21:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently Bacon doesn't like it when the xenophobic hypocrisy is pointed out by a 77 yr Japanese-American gay Buddhist.

Cause heaven forbid God fearing Muslims want to set up Mosques near the world trade center or have their religious freedoms covered under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 in America. His point is not far fetched.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-03 21:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
But the HL I went into had this strange, saccharine-sweet atmosphere to it that makes you wonder if there's a dark altar hidden beneath the construction paper isle

I'm telling you it's all linked together! JCPenny = Hobby Lobby = Cthulh!!!! LOL

Supreme Court Rules JCPenney Allowed to Sacrifice Employees to Appease Cthulh

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Apparently Bacon doesn't like it when the xenophobic hypocrisy is pointed out by a 77 yr Japanese-American gay Buddhist.

I love all star trek actors, minus Dr. Pulaski.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-07-03 21:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hope some business has the balls to enforce Sharia law so I can see Palin ***herself on Fox news.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-03 22:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

But the HL I went into had this strange, saccharine-sweet atmosphere to it that makes you wonder if there's a dark altar hidden beneath the construction paper isle

I'm telling you it's all linked together! JCPenny = Hobby Lobby = Cthulh!!!! LOL

Come on. As much as I like Wil Wheaton, Wesley is/was far more detestable than Dr. Pulaski could ever be.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-03 22:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Come on. As much as I like Wil Wheaton, Wesley is/was far more detestable than Dr. Pulaski could ever be.
THIS! FOREVER THIIIIIIIIS!!!

[+]
 Valefor.Tsurara
Server: Valefor
user: Hinamori
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-07-03 23:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

God Takei vs hobby lobby? Jesus might as well get the funeral service going for hobby lobby, I adore George Takei, was in a Japanese internment camp, and is proud to be a homosexual. He even laughed at one politician when the politician said there was no racism going on during WWII.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-04 00:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

oh my
[+]
 Bahamut.Wordlifee
By Bahamut.Wordlifee 2014-07-04 02:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop trying to spread liberal garbage. The first amendment states the right to religious freedoms and it extends to personal privately owned businesses. Hobby Lobby also pays VERY well allowing their employees to pay for their drugs. Hobby Lobby also includes 18 of 22 types of contraception to women employees. They don't pay for 4 types of abortion inducing drugs which violate their religous convictions. On top of that, if you don't agree with it, then don't work for them plain and simple. Go get another job that will provide Plan B drugs to you and shut up! Saying this is unlawful is just nonsense, as the Supreme Court has ruled. And that is coming from a Moderate Athiest here. And if any of you think Sharia Law is a laughing matter, ask the thousands of women slaughtered and raped yearly, or the children who get taken in the night and sold into slavery. Using it as a punch line isn't cute.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-04 03:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sharia Law is a laughing matter. Who the *** are you to say it isn't?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-04 07:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wordlifee said: »
Stop trying to spread liberal garbage. The first amendment states the right to religious freedoms and it extends to personal privately owned businesses. Hobby Lobby also pays VERY well allowing their employees to pay for their drugs. Hobby Lobby also includes 18 of 22 types of contraception to women employees. They don't pay for 4 types of abortion inducing drugs which violate their religous convictions. On top of that, if you don't agree with it, then don't work for them plain and simple. Go get another job that will provide Plan B drugs to you and shut up! Saying this is unlawful is just nonsense, as the Supreme Court has ruled. And that is coming from a Moderate Athiest here. And if any of you think Sharia Law is a laughing matter, ask the thousands of women slaughtered and raped yearly, or the children who get taken in the night and sold into slavery. Using it as a punch line isn't cute.

I'm offensive and I find this very birth control.
[+]
 Fenrir.Moldtech
Server: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2014-07-04 07:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to see a Muslim run company do this now and see all these religious Christians flip out over it.

I don't think any company should have this "power" over the people but I would love to see the butthurt from the Christians over it.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-04 07:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sharia Law is a laughing matter. Who the *** are you to say it isn't?

I'm an oppressed woman and I find Sharia Law delightful.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-04 07:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
I would love to see a Muslim run company do this now and see all these religious Christians flip out over it.

Nah, it's the non-religious Christians you need to watch out for.
By fonewear 2014-07-04 07:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know actors were politicians you learn something new every day.

Sharia Law is serious business though I heard Dunkin Donuts won't let women order any donuts unless they are pink.
By wormfeeder 2014-07-04 08:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I find this amusing. there is a thing called property rights and a business is considered property. if a person has a problem with the way a business is run and what benefits a company offers or refuses to offer go work or shop somewhere else. people don't like others to tell them how to live and work. I find it a hypocrisy that people try to tell others how to do things, but they tell others what they do is none of your business. birth control is a personal responsibility, not the company you work for. suck it up.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-07-04 08:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

oh did I mention birth control is a personal responsibility and not a right, except that you have the right use or not use it.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-04 08:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

wormfeeder said: »
oh did I mention birth control is a personal responsibility and not a right, except that you have the right use or not use it.

If you don't provide "free" birth control you are anti women. End of story.
By wormfeeder 2014-07-04 08:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

no such thing as free, someone has to pay for it.
By fonewear 2014-07-04 08:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

no such thing as free, someone has to pay for it.

That is why I put it it quotes.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-04 10:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wordlifee said: »
.... They don't pay for 4 types of abortion inducing drugs which violate their religous convictions....
But those methods do not induce abortion, don't even come close.

Their religious beliefs trump science.

And their profits trump their religious beliefs.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-07-04 10:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

how could you not like wesley crusher?
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-07-04 10:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

thats like saying u have a right to use or not use anit-biotics, but your insurance doesnt have to make them accessible to you.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15