Tesla Museum! It's Happening!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Tesla Museum! It's happening!
Tesla Museum! It's happening!
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-05-14 19:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically, Matt Inman (Oatmeal comic guy) did a fundraiser to help buy Wardenclyffe, Tesla's laboratory, about a year ago. He recently made a comic about Tesla Motors Model S and in part two asked Elon Musk (Tesla Motor CEO and founder of Paypal and SpaceX) to help donate more than the 2.5k$ he donated to help save Wardenclyffe and donate the full 8 million dollars to build and run the museum to Nikola Tesla. It was either all posted yesterday or a few days ago.

Well, today he got a response from Elon Musk

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/14/tesla-motors-elon-musk-will-help-fund-a-nikola-tesla-museum/?ncid=rss_truncated

Words cannot describe my happiness about this.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2014-05-14 19:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

He hasn't said anything about the full $8m, but I expect he understands both the karmic and PR payoff of this. Nothing's in stone or anything, but this is certainly a great sign.

Also, have you driven a Tesla? Pretty much everything Inman says is spot on. It's like piloting a goddamned starship.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-14 20:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aren't those Tesla Cars prone to explode occasionally?

Or just another smear campaign by Edison?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-14 20:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
He hasn't said anything about the full $8m, but I expect he understands both the karmic and PR payoff of this. Nothing's in stone or anything, but this is certainly a great sign.

Also, have you driven a Tesla? Pretty much everything Inman says is spot on. It's like piloting a goddamned starship.
I wish. Scragg showed me his and gave me some of his opinions on the car, it's badass.

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

They were catching fire, there was a recall to fix the issue.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 20:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd, something Serj and I could both nerd out about, the world may be ending.

I'm pleased to hear this, Tesla was a great man with wonderful visions for the world.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-14 21:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I got to take a ride in one a few months ago and was seriously impressed. But, I would imagine if Tesla knew that his legacy in the eyes of most people would be a turret from a video game and a car that caught fire, he'd have hung up his top hat. It's seriously cool to see his laboratory finally getting some exposure.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-14 21:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget Hat Replicating Wizard played by David Bowie.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-05-14 21:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: half way beat me to it :p
Odin.Jassik said: »
But, I would imagine if Tesla knew that his legacy in the eyes of most people would be a turret from a video game
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-14 21:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

*** Tesla Coils killin all my Tanyas.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 21:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't the government still have a lot of his work under lock and key?
By Ciri Zireael 2014-05-14 21:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't driven one yet and probably won't for an extremely long time. Someday, someday.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-14 21:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC there was an issue with the battery in some cars, they were recalled, etc. It wasn't a major safety issue as I recall. The battery was well shielded and protected and did not cause a direct safety risk a la an explosion as much as a breakdown like any other. Dangerous at the wrong time, but no more so than a faulty alternator or fuel pump leaving you on the side of the road waiting for service.

Down side, of course, is that AAA probably doesn't service Tesla batteries yet. :p

So there was an issue, which of course was blown out of proportion by someone.

*This is all based on what I recall from reading articles at the time of the issue. Apologies if it's somehow inaccurate.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-14 21:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

IIRC there was an issue with the battery in some cars, they were recalled, etc. It wasn't a major safety issue as I recall. The battery was well shielded and protected and did not cause a direct safety risk a la an explosion as much as a breakdown like any other. Dangerous at the wrong time, but no more so than a faulty alternator or fuel pump leaving you on the side of the road waiting for service.

Down side, of course, is that AAA probably doesn't service Tesla batteries yet. :p

So there was an issue, which of course was blown out of proportion by someone.

*This is all based on what I recall from reading articles at the time of the issue. Apologies if it's somehow inaccurate.

Well, recalls aren't exactly uncommon. At VW, we had like 11 active recalls on the A5 platform before the damn things even came off the truck. Tesla's got a lot of exposure because they are viewed as experimental, much like Toyota got a ton of publicity because they are known for reliability. The batteries would heat up and cause some kind of failure, IDK if there was ever an actual fire, though.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 21:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat is going to be a big problem with fully electric cars for a long time, unless one can find a way to make them way more efficient, and cool them easily.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-14 21:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the actual comic by the artist here reviewing the car. He addresses the fire issue.
[+]
By Ciri Zireael 2014-05-14 21:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Read the actual comic by the artist here reviewing the car. He addresses the fire issue.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s#fires
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 22:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Only real problem I have with the Tesla S, I could pay my rent and then some for 3+ years for the cost of one of those things...
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 22:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I will say, that comic was a very interesting read.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-14 22:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Elon Musk Is a pretty awesome guy. He's pushing the boundaries for many things I'm interested in.

I hope one day to own a tesla, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon as they don't make a minivan model... ^^;
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-14 22:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, if you want a van that feels like you're piloting a starship, you'll need one of these:

Chevy Starcraft
Chevy Astro:
Because nothing says "outer space" like a Chevy van.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-15 06:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it bad when I saw this thread, I immediately thought of TEFRA?

>.>
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2014-05-15 09:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Elon Musk Is a pretty awesome guy. He's pushing the boundaries for many things I'm interested in.

I hope one day to own a tesla, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon as they don't make a minivan model... ^^;

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx isn't suitable for your purposes?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-16 00:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx isn't suitable for your purposes?
It'd work, but not quite as well as I'd need as I drive one of these monsters:

I have 3 kids, 2 of which are in car seats right now and a double stroller is pretty hard to fit in anything else and still have room for anything else like groceries. Space is a pretty big issue. Now if someone gave me a choice to trade in my current one for one of these? *** yes, I'll cram them in the back ^^;